X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what Rod Cross has to say:

http://www.tennisindustrymag.com/art..._tennis_f.html

"The inch that changed tennis forever...."
    The real reason for the change is more subtle. It’s because racquets got wider.

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar...f-wood/304281/

Isn't this more evidence that the way that tennis is being played today is inferior to the classic era? The devolution of the doubles.

Is it that the magnitude of the mistake to allow the bigger equipment was so stupid that people no longer want to admit that it was a mistake? It has been a long time and perhaps those that are not old enough to know any better do not fully understand the difference. Is it like those that are used to a world with cell phones and computers cannot envision a world without them? Has technology become the trump card in human existence?

Has the human race evolved or is it devolving as it becomes more and more reliant on technology? Is the human race becoming "lazier" as a result in all of the "improvements" due to technology? Is that evolution?

Is tennis metaphoring life as much as it appears to be to me? The last I checked "evolution" has to with the survival of the fittest as in the origin of the species or something along that lines. What is this talk when we use the word that tennis is evolving?

Or was the game just reinvented...or reengineered to make it more convenient for us to play it better? Just so that we could feel superior to those that came before us. Or is it how it was sold to us and we just bought into it? When I say we...I don't mean me.
      don_budge I am very sorry for your loss. One day you get to see you beloved game again.

Comment

• Charles says it best at 1:15
        Last edited by 10splayer; 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
          http://youtu.be/TxefPeKn_Rs

Charles says it best at 1:15
          This made my weekend.

Comment

• I didn't promise!

but just think if the ITF had made it the rule for just for Davis Cup and Grand Slams in the mid 70's that the width plus the length of a tennis racket had to equal 36"?? Serve and volley would still be viable today.

don

Comment

• I find the old days had too much serve and volley. Nowadays we have too much baseline bashing.

I would like to see something in between, but it isn't easy to fine tune equipment, courts etc to achieve this.

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                I find the old days had too much serve and volley. Nowadays we have too much baseline bashing.

I would like to see something in between, but it isn't easy to fine tune equipment, courts etc to achieve this.
                Variety is the spice of life. I personally don't want to see everyone sere and volley, but I also can't stand the boring baseline game. It is the contrasts of the styles. The point and counterpoint. The dance between two players. I'm glad you posted the Agassi-Rafter video, that's a great example.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

• 36 inches...

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                  but just think if the ITF had made it the rule for just for Davis Cup and Grand Slams in the mid 70's that the width plus the length of a tennis racket had to equal 36"?? Serve and volley would still be viable today.

don
                  At least the net could be calibrated easily. I propose that effective immediately we do just as you have mentioned...return to the 36" standard for Davis Cup and Grand Slams. Just for funzies.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    At least the net could be calibrated easily. I propose that effective immediately we do just as you have mentioned...return to the 36" standard for Davis Cup and Grand Slams. Just for funzies.
                    And you seriously think that if it does not apply to all other tournaments, serve and volley will reappear? Not likely. All or none.

Comment

• John McEnroe took advantage of the timidity and infamous blindness of tennis umpires and line judges. He epitomized the tennis tantrum, rocking a sport known for its polite spectators. Umpires didn’t stand a chance against his scathing tongue. Neither did his first wife.

“It was on the line. Answer my question! The question, jerk!”

“I wasn’t talking to you, umpire. I was talking to myself. What did I say, umpire, tell me. Please tell me! You are pathetic, do you know that? You are the worst umpire that I’ve ever seen in my life. You’re never going to work another match.”

“You cannot be serious! Everyone in this whole stadium knows it was in, and you call it out. Explain this to me. You’re the pits of the world.”
                      from the article "John McEnroe made me quit tennis"...
                      http://www.flipcollective.com/2010/0...-tara-goedjen/

Is this tennis tradition?

Now, now, temper, temper OP...

Comment

• Tennis Etiquette...1982 Style

Here...take a look at this short clip. The great John McEnroe and his long time doubles partner Peter Fleming losing in the finals to an Australian pair Peter McNamara and Paul McNamee.

Watch carefully as the four players approach the net after match point. Strange that the great volleyers McEnroe and Fleming were not able to put the ball away with a couple of chances. But look...both McNamara and McNamee are playing with Prince 110 model racquets while McEnroe and Fleming must be feeling somewhat foolish "bringing a knife to a gun fight" as they are holding on to their standard size wooden racquets.

The whole basis of tennis etiquette was actually violated by the "prim and proper" tennis establishment. I don't know if tennis etiquette was actually ever spelled out anywhere...maybe they don't even use this term anymore when discussing "modern tennis". But to me...tennis etiquette covered a whole range of issues. Basically it meant that "one should never seek unfair advantage against your opponent". Or something to that effect.

My question is...what did the majority of professional tennis players think about the change of equipment at the time it was happening.

Here is the men's single final too. It is none other than John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors who are unknowingly playing the last "all standard sized" Wimbledon final in history. Connors won in a five set epic...3-6, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4.

Jimmy Connors had a Prince Racquet encounter all of his own in this tournament. Gene Mayer as a tennis player who went from 140 something in the world and shot up to #4 very quickly when he changed early on in the equipment fiasco years. Connors took him out in the quarterfinals. No wonder Connors hates Andre Agassi.

I was trying to find out when Mayer first switched. Some of my college competition was switching in 1979 or so.

It's in Spanish...sorry about that Chief. But check out the wear pattern on the grass courts.
                        don_budge

Comment

• Modern Love...

From...
                          Modern Love...David Bowie (1983 what a coincidence)

To...
                          Love and Sex with Robots...

Is this better? Is it too big of a stretch for you...just calm down and think a bit. Try not to get so indignant...just think. Imagine. All that you know...all that you have seen. What does it all mean? What is the meaning of life? What does tennis have to do with it?

But in the end you are right...we have gone too far. There is no heading back. Unless we are forced to...to square one. It isn't quite living in the past as you would like to make it out to be...afterall I moved to the other side of the world at the age of 50 and started over from scratch...with worn out tools. Still going strong...knock on wood. Trust me...I am in the moment. I know the score.

Last edited by don_budge; 08-11-2014, 12:48 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge

Comment

• The Patriot...Mark Twain 1904

In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. ...Mark Twain

In a time of universal deceit...telling the truth is a revolutionary act. ...George Orwell

don_budge

Comment

• bottle...

With every invention comes a curse.
                              don_budge

Comment

• After many years, I have gone back to wearing all white when I play tennis. Makes me feel more in a tennis mood, and I like it...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8011 users online. 6 members and 8005 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X