Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    The draw for the 1980 French Open men's singles...

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

You're right, the draw sheets say a lot. I totted up the number of games Borg lost on his march to victory...just 38. I thought that might be a record. I was shocked to find it wasn't. Borg bettered that record two years earlier, winning the French Open for the loss of just 32 games.

We all know Borg was on a different level back then on clay so we shouldn't be surprised, but just imagine the level on concentration it must have taken to do that. Players couldn't hit opponents off with wood as players can these days with modern rackets. He must have broken opponents down with sheer attrition.

Erik van Dillen...what happened to him?...and Kim Warwick?
    Last edited by stotty; 08-25-2014, 01:19 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

• Lies...the usual suspects

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." -- Vladimir Lenin

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” -- Adolf Hitler

"It doesn't change a thing...but if it does change things it will be for the better. Honest." --ITF (on large racquets)

Last edited by don_budge; 08-27-2014, 01:11 AM.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• My 2,002nd post...(1.18 per day)

Dear tennisplayer.net...

Thank you for indulging me as I indulge myself...as I have indulged myself in my 2,000 and counting posts. As of now I have posted 2,002 times...in my official approximately 1,700 days of membership here at tennisplayer.net. I never posted the first 445 days of my membership as I was not even aware that there was a forum on the website...such is my ignorance. Such was my ignorance. I'm learning...evolving.

Paris was a place you could hide away
        if you felt you didn't fit in
        French police wouldn't give me no peace
        They claimed I was a nasty person
        Down along the Left Bank minding my own
        Was knocked down by a human stampede
        Got arrested for inciting a peacful riot...

When I first started posting I was inspired by bottle's "New Year's Serve" thread and I wrote to him...as an English professor. I wrote to him of my desire to write...to learn to be a writer. His advise to me..."know your audience. Good luck." Thanks Professor John Escher...sound words of wisdom.

To all of you tennis players and coaches...best of luck to each and everyone of you. It simply doesn't matter if we agree or disagree...or even if we like each other.

When I was growing up...it was tennis that helped to inspire me to be the man that I grew up to be. After I had grown up...it was tennis and golf that gave me the therapy that I needed to cope. As I get older it is tennis that gives me something that I can hand down...to the next generations. I always try to tell the truth...even when I lie.

The question is only one of respect...for the game! The question is one of love...for life!

Sincerely yours

don_budge
        Last edited by don_budge; 08-31-2014, 12:21 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge

Comment

• Tennis Etiquette...Lost in the Flood

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/sp...owel.html?_r=0

Another symptom of the demise of tennis into modern tennis...the towel.
          The problem with the demise of tradition is that the demise of the entire structure is soon to follow.

As tennis so appropriately serves as a metaphor for life you can see how "classic tennis" has morphed into "modern tennis". Appreciation for the past is scoffed at and even ridiculed. Leaving the present so open and vulnerable for what? The biggest and the loudest? Shock and awe? Belligerence?

Tennis etiquette used to be the rule of thumb but it was summarily dismissed when the ITF allowed for a new standard in equipment. What was left is what you see today...and even witness on this forum. A lack of decorum...or even good taste. But just look around you...it is the same symptoms all over. What is the solution? Where are the answers?
          Last edited by don_budge; 08-29-2014, 12:47 AM.
          don_budge

Comment

• Tradition...Paradise Lost

"Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." -- Cree Indian Prophecy

Last edited by don_budge; 09-05-2014, 03:53 AM.
            don_budge

Comment

• I thought you would appreciate this line from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

Comment

• Political Correctness...

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."

Thought for the day posted at a news website that I read on a semi-regular basis.

Last edited by don_budge; 09-07-2014, 09:59 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

• Rock and Roll is dead...Gene Simmons

He's probably just a nut case...don't listen to him. Obviously he doesn't know what he is talking about...although I have been saying the same thing for years. The most obvious of truths.

There are some obvious parallels to be drawn...but some people don't want to see it. Some are afraid to admit it. Most are certainly petrified to voice their opinions because if they fall outside of the parameters of being politically correct they will undoubtably be vilified or even worse...be made fun of by some small minded people.

Add Gene Simmons to the list of people pulling the plug on rock ‘n’ roll. “Rock is finally dead,” he said in interview.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."

don_budge

Comment

• GOLF...sporting world's oldest traditional sport

Another tradition bites the dust. Don't worry sheeple...it's all good.

Another landmark decision has been made on the day Scotland decides on independence as the Royal & Ancient Golf Club vote in favor of female membership.

GOLF...Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden
                    don_budge

Comment

• How cool that this decision came the same day as the other one.

Comment

• Happy Jack…The Who

More of "The Who"…a great rock and roll band from the beginning of time.

"Happy Jack"…The Who 1966

Happy Jack wasn't old, but he was a man
                        He lived in the sand at the Isle of Man
                        The kids would all sing, he would take the wrong key
                        So they rode on his head on their furry donkey

The kids couldn't hurt Jack
                        They tried and tried and tried
                        They dropped things on his back
                        And lied and lied and lied and lied and lied

But they couldn't stop Jack, or the waters lapping
                        And they couldn't prevent Jack from feeling happy

But they couldn't stop Jack, or the waters lapping
                        And they couldn't prevent Jack from feeling happy

The kids couldn't hurt Jack
                        They tried and tried and tried
                        They dropped things on his back
                        And lied and lied and lied and lied and lied

But they couldn't stop don_budge, or the waters lapping
                        And they couldn't prevent don_budge from feeling happy

(I saw ya!)
                        Last edited by don_budge; 10-14-2014, 11:05 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

• Won't Get Fooled Again…The Who

Indulge me…the last time. I promise. There is a reason for everything…method in my madness. Trust me…you had to have seen this live.

Won't Get Fooled Again…The Who (1971)

We'll be fighting in the streets
                          With our children at our feet
                          And the morals that they worship will be gone
                          And the men who spurred us on
                          Sit in judgement of all wrong
                          They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
                          Take a bow for the new revolution
                          Smile and grin at the change all around
                          Pick up my guitar and play
                          Just like yesterday
                          Then I'll get on my knees and pray
                          We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
                          We knew it all along
                          We were liberated from the fold, that's all
                          And the world looks just the same
                          And history ain't changed
                          'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
                          No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
                          If we happen to be left half alive
                          I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
                          Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
                          Do ya?

There's nothing in the streets
                          Looks any different to me
                          And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
                          And the parting on the left
                          Are now parting on the right
                          And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
                          Don't get fooled again
                          No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
                          Same as the old boss
                          Last edited by don_budge; 10-15-2014, 12:22 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge

Comment

• Imaging…Fantasy. Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine…The Doors

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                            I remember watching Scent of Woman for the first time, and wondering if I'd ever see a movie I like better.
                            Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine…The Doors (1972)

Funny that you should say that. Funny that I quoted Al Pacino in a tennis post. Oddly enough an old girlfriend called me the other day and asked me if I had ever seen this movie called…"Scent of a Woman".

Imaging is an important process in the tennis deal. The ability to see things…as you remember them. Like remembering an old girlfriend…the way she looked. But can you recall a smell…like Al Pacino apparently could? Visualization is one thing…it's a sensory memory. But what about…the scent of a woman. Is it why we love them so?

I used to love the smell of new tennis balls when you opened up a fresh can. 1968…the year that I was introduced to the game. Fourteen years old and it was the advent of the Open Era. Little did I know then. To have a new can was certainly a treat…back then. "The old days"…Phil Picuro likes to call them. I will never forget the smell. I mention that to my new students in the hopes that fifty years from now they will look back and hear my voice in their ears. I promise you they will smile.

But there is a point to this…sort of. The movie was sort of compelling…Pacino playing a blind man. His ability to recall…to see without seeing. There is something to this. Perception. The Doors. Racquet head speed…tennis movement. The senses.

Is this thread done yet? I am not so certain that it is. Did Stotty open up a door? Think don_budge…there was something that I wanted to add.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 11-08-2014, 06:19 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

• "When Brando dies, everyone moves up one", Jack Nicholson once said.

Be wonderful if they could say the same about Federer upon his retirement. Be great if he could make number 1 again.
                              Stotty

Comment

• Roger Federer…The Living Proof

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                                "When Brando dies, everyone moves up one", Jack Nicholson once said.

Be wonderful if they could say the same about Federer upon his retirement. Be great if he could make number 1 again.

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                                if that is true, then we need to roll back the technology a little bit to preserve SOME of the tradition of the game.

Thoughts?!
                                don
                                Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                Well Don...I thought nobody would ever ask. Let's see where this leads us.

You are a little late there, Don. Where were you when the Prince was making her debut? I remember going to war with every player that used it against me in tournaments. I was on my way up. The racquets derailed me. I was livid. I thought they were cheating...not only me but the game herself. And she was my great love. I loved her with all my heart and soul. I wanted to kill them. All of them. In defense of her Tradition. There were too many. There was only me...but it made no difference, I didn't care. I stood up. To the machine!

Tradition? Forget about it. You are too late to be concerned with such trivia. In fact if you speak of such things you will have people calling you a "prisoner of your generation" and looking at you cross eyed. I hear the snickering. To which I say...phooey.

One of my last memories in competitive tennis was going three sets with three opponents with Princess racquets in one day, me and my Kramers...lost the third. I tried to scrape myself off the bed the next day. I lost toenails. I went down fighting. I realized a long time ago...the gig was up. Nobody cared. Not like I do...to this very day. They still don't. That was the day the music died. That was the day that Don Quixote died…again.
                                "I had skin like leather and the diamond-hard look of a cobra
                                I was born blue and weathered but I burst just like a supernova
                                I could walk like Brando right into the sun
                                Then dance just like a Casanova"

Roger Federer…the last remaining link.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2534 users online. 7 members and 2527 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X