No announcement yet.

2014 U. S. Open Championships...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More...(yawn)...first round action. Stories...beneath the surface.

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    What an interesting first round of action...or not depending upon your knowledge of tennis. Your acumen. There is the one reporter who saw fit to attempt a piece on Novak Djokovic's first round match. It would be tough to say anything of interest happened during the course of that contest...unless you had a deadline to make. So it goes right on down the list of first round of results. For the most part you just substitute the name for the A (designated winner of the match) or B (for the designated loser of the match). Try not to take to many liberties with the verbiage.

[2] Roger Federer (SUI) d. Marinko Matosevic (AUS) 63 64 76(4)
    [4] David Ferrer (ESP) d. Damir Dzumhur (BIH) 61 62 26 62
    [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) d. Wayne Odesnik (USA) 62 64 62
    [12] Richard Gasquet (FRA) d. Denis Istomin (UZB) 75 76(5) 64
    [13] John Isner (USA) d. Marcos Giron (USA) 76(5) 62 76(2)
    [15] Fabio Fognini (ITA) d. Andrey Golubev (KAZ) 64 64 62
    [17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) d. Andreas Haider-Maurer (AUT) 57 76(1) 16 75 61
    [20] Gael Monfils (FRA) d. Jared Donaldson (USA) 64 62 64
    [25] Ivo Karlovic (CRO) d. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) 64 64 36 64
    [26] Gilles Simon (FRA) d. Radu Albot (MDA) 63 64 62
    [28] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) d. Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) 64 62 62
    Borna Coric (CRO) d. [29] Lukas Rosol (CZE) 64 61 62
    Sam Querrey (USA)d. Maximo Gonzalez (ARG) 62 46 64 46 63
    Pablo Andujar (ESP) d. Jack Sock (USA) 64 36 61 ret. (right calf)
    Tim Smyczek (USA) d. Filip Krajinovic (SRB) 46 63 62 76(5)
    Bernard Tomic (AUS) d. Dustin Brown (GER) 76(2) 64 76(3)
    Federico Delbonis (ARG) d. Noah Rubin (USA) 64 63 60
    Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) d. Yoshihito Nishioka (JPN) 61 62 21 ret.
    Alejandro Gonzalez (COL) d. Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) 64 64 75
    Victor Estrella Burgos (DOM) d. Igor Sijsling (NED) 26 64 63 62
    Marcel Granollers (ESP) d. Jurgen Melzer (AUT) 76(1) 63 62
    Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) d. Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ) 26 36 63 63 75
    Adrian Mannarino (FRA) d. Pere Riba (ESP) 36 75 63 62
    Sam Groth (AUS) d. Albert Ramos (ESP) 63 76(5) 63

Did anything remotely interesting happen yesterday? Please let me know if it did. Just substitute the A's and the B's, come up with the winners and the losers and we move on. Unless you have a deadline to make and then it is just blah, blah...blah. David Ferrer...blah, blah...blah. Richard Gasquet...blah, blah...blah. Bob Bautist Agut....blah, blah...blah. You see how it goes.

But there are some stories of course. I am just being overly critical of the tennis that is being played today...modern times. Essentially I don't have to say anything more and I resist saying it as much as I can. But it comes to a head and then it just comes out of it's own volition. So I was going down the list of matches and just writing nothing but blah, blah...blah. But I actually found myself skipping some names because there actually are stories here...it just isn't about the quality of the tennis...yet.

First of all at the very top of the list is none other than the man himself who somehow finds himself the beneficiary of a "stacked" draw. Since he is also the beneficiary of somehow coming to his senses in the past year and switching to a piece of equipment that is closer (97 compared to 100) to being equal to his opposition's he is doubly blessed. If you compound his blessing with the physical facts that the racquet is going to fortify every single facet of his game...well there's the story. Let's just see how it pans out because as we know the best laid plans of mice and tennis players often go astray.

Stay up to date on ATP news, stories, results, videos & analysis from the team at FOX Sports -- covering your favorite players & events

You noticed that the second name that I skipped in my "blah, blah...blah" fashion of writing about the first round action of the 2014 U. S. Open Championships is Kei Nishikori...but he wasn't the name I was glossing over. It was the name of Wayne Odesnik that I was leaving off because here is a huge story...one that is a carefully guarded secret by the tennis establishment itself. I will leave all of you up to your own detective devices...although I suspect there is a limited amount of interest because of a limited amount of energy available that is required to chase down the truth these days. Afterall, we have to work...we have to eat. We don't have time to track down all of the bullshit.

But Wayne has his story to tell but he isn't talking. And...he isn't talking for a very good reason. Number one...dead men don't talk. Number two...no matter what he says he is damned if he does and damned if he don't. They have got him wrapped up in a nice little Catch-22 of their own. But...I for one would like to hear his unabridged version of the story. The players have somehow come up with some kind of solidarity against Wayne and I suspect it is because he has or knows of some information that is very damning to the tour. Even the tour cut him some slack...and the question is for what reason? While much of the media speculation is that he "snitched" or in some circles it is often called "telling the truth"...I wonder if the reason they let him off was an agreement between the parties to keep certain information or names to himself. The nefarious topic that hangs over his head like the Sword of Damocles is the one of using Performance Enhancing Drugs. PED's...its that pesky little topic of conversation that refuses to go away. I can imagine the dirty looks that Wayne gets in the locker room from some of the RoboCop physique types...as they huff and puff themselves up in their self righteous egos. It's a story...going on five years now. Wayne happened to lose by the way to Kei Nishikori...I was pulling for Odesnik to go deep. Against anyone and that includes Roger Federer. I figure if he makes it to the top he can turn around and finger everyone...then tell his side of the story. I would like to hear the truth instead of the garbage being dished up as news these days. Even in this article the slant is there...the marching line of the machine.

"That led to speculation on the tour that Odesnik was ratting out his fellow players, which caused some to openly shun him." Rats are often in the eye of the beholder. It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a much bigger rat. I know the ITF wasn't above selling the sport down the river back in 1975.

Two other names that I skipped over in my "blah, blah...blah" rant were John Isner and Fabio "Fabulous" Fognini. I glossed over "Fabulous" for one reason only...he's a chick magnet. What? Isn't that good enough? Then I skipped over John Isner...and perhaps you are speculating that it has something to do with bottle's comments about him and his wearing of a certain sponsor's cap. Not really...although the subject of pimping and whoring is always an intriguing one.

This was the one match that I watched briefly yesterday and it was interesting in a limited sense. First of all it was the banal discussion of the commentators that sort of make things difficult to swallow for me as they hem and haw in their search to make a match interesting. But in their defense...they have to eat too. So the inevitable discussion turns to the movement of John Isner as compared to his smaller, quicker and more agile opponent. The commentators are careful not to step on each others toes. It's amusing. But they nod in agreement when they make a point in unision...Big John has two big weapons...his serve and his forehand. Astute fellows...they are certain to have their meal after the show. But good old don_budge is going to go one better here...Big John has a very big racquet.

Now here is the thing...here is the very reason why I point this out. I believe John Isner has a very big advantage over many opponents because of his size and the disproportionate advantage that having a huge serve is. Afterall...let's face it. Without this advantage he might be in line for his next meal unless he found his niche somewhere out there in the real world doing a real job. A world where his height was a liability...he might just be labeled a freak...unless he was in the NBA. But the thing is...if it weren't for that huge Prince racquet...if both of these guys were playing with Jack Kramers for instance...it was easier for two players of completely different statures and playing tactics to somehow find a balance in their contest. Isner is a freak of nature...he is outside of the control limits in terms of height but it might not be such an advantage if the weapons were not so geared for speed and force. If the racquets were tooled more for subtlety and nuance. Just a thought...don't be mad!

But as for the rest of it...blah, blah...blah. But the action will heat up...that is a given.
    Last edited by don_budge; 08-26-2014, 10:52 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Williams vs. Date-Krumm

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      I saw these two play on centre court at Wimbledon 2011. I was was forced to watch their match because it was raining and the roof was on; played suspended everywhere else. I was glad I did as the match was entertaining, with Date-Krumm narrowly losing 8-6 in the third. She is a player who makes the most of what she has. Her "shove" forehand is really consistent. Williams thought she could blow her away as Steffi Graf did at Wimbledon 1996 (she was just Date back then...without the Krumm) but neither player could. Date-Krumm knows how to make herself difficult...which is important when you're out-gunned.

I guess what I am trying to say is I have a lot of time for Date-Krumm.

The Venus Fly Trap.
      don_budge

Comment

First Round Fodder...Foreplay

[6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
        [7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs. Ryan Harrison (USA)
        Kenny De Schepper (FRA) vs. [11] Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
        [14] Marin Cilic (CRO) vs. Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
        Pablo Cuevas (URU) vs. [18] Kevin Anderson (RSA)
        [19] Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs. Ivan Dodig (CRO)
        Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS) vs. [27] Santiago Giraldo (COL)
        Frank Dancevic (CAN) vs. [32] Joao Sousa (POR)
        Steve Johnson (USA) vs. Tatsuma Ito (JPN)
        Jerzy Janowicz (POL) vs. Dusan Lajovic (SRB)
        Carlos Berlocq (ARG) vs. Dudi Sela (ISR)
        Evgeny Donskoy (RUS) vs. Alexander Kudryavtsev (RUS)
        Steve Darcis (BEL) vs. Martin Klizan (SVK)
        Niels Desein (BEL) vs. David Goffin (BEL)
        Lukas Lacko (SVK) vs. Dominic Thiem (AUT)

Watch Tomas Berdych out of homage to our illustrious klacr...but caution...don't get you hopes up. In a more positive tone...he has an even better draw than Federer. Take a gander at Grigor Dimitrov though. Get a finger on his pulse...get a gage on his form. He has a meeting with destiny in the quarters and he has building up to it slowly and steadily in the last year of so since the Stockholm Open.

Marin Cilic could be the "sleeper" in the draw on the basis of his Wimbledon showing but is he tough enough for hard court tennis where the pounding on the body takes on an added dimension. Jerzy Janowicz can be fun to watch in the way that it is fun to watch a good meltdown. Self imploding...but watch out if he ever gets a grip. All it will take is one performance like that and he is off to the races....perhaps. David Goffin is another sleeper...God knows there are many sleepers in the draw. Even Feliciano Lopez. Other types of sleepers too...like snoozers.

But most of all...keep an eye on Dominic Thiem. There is something about this kid that intrigues me. He is afterall the perfect height and size of a modern day tennis champion. He can blast the backhand...even down the line with impunity. I love the quirky physical trainer.
        don_budge

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Boring

What an interesting first round of action...or not depending upon your knowledge of tennis. Your acumen. There is the one reporter who saw fit to attempt a piece on Novak Djokovic's first round match. It would be tough to say anything of interest happened during the course of that contest...unless you had a deadline to make. So it goes right on down the list of first round of results. For the most part you just substitute the name for the A (designated winner of the match) or B (for the designated loser of the match). Try not to take to many liberties with the verbiage.

"Player A hit the ball harder than Player B did until Player B missed. Player A hit the ball past Player B more times than Player B did...because he hit the ball harder. Little attention was paid to any subtlety or nuance because everything was happening too fast." I guess that sort of sums it up.
          It's dreadful. If you are honest with yourself...if you know anything about tennis from a historical perspective there is no way out. You have to conclude that the tennis is as dreadfully boring as it has ever been. It's nice that one can admire athleticism but what happened to the nuance? Whatever happened to subtlety? Where did all court tennis go with the variety of tactics and play? Who cares?

Onward! Into oblivion! March...march...march!!! The only thing that I don't understand about the whole deal is why am I the only one mentioning this. Has tennis been so dumbed down...like the rest of the society at large. I guess so...I answered my own question. Per usual.

[6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) d. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) 63 64 63
          [7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) d. Ryan Harrison (USA) 62 76(4) 62
          [11] Ernests Gulbis (LAT) d. Kenny De Schepper (FRA) 61 64 62
          [14] Marin Cilic (CRO) d. Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) 63 31 ret. (right ankle)
          [18] Kevin Anderson (RSA) d. Pablo Cuevas (URU) 63 67(3)46 62 76(1)
          [19] Feliciano Lopez (ESP) d. Ivan Dodig (CRO) 16 75 26 64 11 ret. (cramping)
          Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS) d. [27] Santiago Giraldo (COL) 63 16 76(6) 63
          [32] Joao Sousa (POR) d. Frank Dancevic (CAN) 76(6) 36 62 46 76(2)
          Tatsuma Ito (JPN) d. Steve Johnson (USA) 62 36 57 41 ret.
          Jerzy Janowicz (POL) d. Dusan Lajovic (SRB) 63 75 57 75
          Dudi Sela (ISR) d. Carlos Berlocq (ARG) 16 63 62 75
          Alexander Kudryavtsev (RUS) d. Evgeny Donskoy (RUS) 26 76(6) 36 63 64
          Martin Klizan (SVK) d. Steve Darcis (BEL) 36 26 76(5) 75 64
          David Goffin (BEL) d. Niels Desein (BEL) 61 63 63
          Dominic Thiem (AUT) d. Lukas Lacko (SVK) 63 63 62
          Illya Marchenko (UKR) d. Marco Chiudinelli (SUI) 76(3) 46 76(13) 76(4)

Ok...any matches that anyone out there wants to highlight and illustrate upon. To confirm that the game is still alive and vibrant. I'm all ears.

I watched a couple of matches ever so briefly. Ever so briefly. Just enough to confirm what I already know. The first round action at the 2014 U. S. Open is a real stinker. I saw Tomas Berdych manhandling an ex-champion of modern tennis, Lleyton Hewitt. It wasn't pretty...and it wasn't entertaining. A beat an older B.

I watched Jerzy Janowicz for a brief spell. It was like counting sheep. Jerzy did scream once...that was pretty exciting. A beat B. A hit harder than B. Fascinating stuff.

I did not see either Ernest Gulbis or Dominic Thiem. But they both won convincingly in straight sets to set up the second round clash I was hoping for. Praying for...thank you Lord.

I guess that about sums it up. Snooze alert!

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
          Peter Gojowczyk (GER) vs. [5] Milos Raonic (CAN)
          Matthias Bachinger (GER) vs. [8] Andy Murray (GBR)
          [9] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) vs. Aleksandr Nedovyesov (KAZ)
          [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs. Pablo Andujar (ESP)
          Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) vs. [13] John Isner (USA)
          Simone Bolelli (ITA) vs. [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP)
          [22] Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. Michael Llodra (FRA)
          Matthew Ebden (AUS) vs. [23] Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
          Sam Querrey (USA) vs. [28] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
          [31] Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs. Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS)
          Nick Kyrgios (AUS) vs. Andreas Seppi (ITA)
          Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) vs. Benoit Paire (FRA)
          Borna Coric (CRO) vs. Victor Estrella Burgos (DOM)

Any matches of interest on deck here...I guess not. Not really. Unless we are enamored with an emerging Nick Kyrgios. I can hardly wait for this personality to blossom.

Yep...those memories of the old classic tennis that they used to play out there at Flushing Meadows is still looming pretty large. But patience...patience. It has to get better. It's only the first round...of the draw sheet. The picture that tells the story.
          don_budge

Comment

The Pathetic Nature of Things...The Towel

Another symptom of the demise of tennis into modern tennis...the towel.
            Last edited by don_budge; 08-27-2014, 11:52 PM.
            don_budge

Comment

Berdych is getting into the right frame of mind and looking to peak at the right time. He handled Hewitt like yesterday's trash. When he woke up and turned it on Hewitt simply could not keep up. Expect at least a semi-final showing from Tberd and if he plays Federer in semis, I like Berdych. He has a mental edge over Fed in grand slams and does not fear him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/sp...owel.html?_r=0

Another symptom of the demise of tennis into modern tennis...the towel.
                This is not the demise!

I think it is cool.

Hey, I got some awesome idea's don_budge will love!

Here we go:

- The towels, lets place advertising on them! Diet Coke, Pepsi, Gatorade, you name it. It'd be great for the game, players would go to the towels, and it would display cool advertising!

- As well it is about time we put logo the tennis balls. Yellow balls, insane. Man, color the balls! Get this, balls painted blue and red with the Pepsi logo. Now, whenever Novak Djokovic bounces the ball 100 times before a serve, the camera can zoom in on the ball, and we can charge 10,000 per bounce as it's great brand exposure!

The game needs more towels and ball bouncing on the serve.

Comment

Tomas Berdych...feeling alright

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  Berdych is getting into the right frame of mind and looking to peak at the right time. He handled Hewitt like yesterday's trash. When he woke up and turned it on Hewitt simply could not keep up. Expect at least a semi-final showing from Tberd and if he plays Federer in semis, I like Berdych. He has a mental edge over Fed in grand slams and does not fear him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  After his defeat at Cincinnati I posted that he might get some much needed rest. He mentioned that the break was really helpful in getting himself squared away with the proper practice and rest regimen.

He gave a great interview and Mats was duly impressed. I really enjoy Wilander's comments and impressions. He can come up with some real doozies...but all in all he is pretty practical minded. That is exactly how Berdych came off as well...he seemed to be very practical and in a good frame of mine. Very relaxed and confident.

His draw is as good as Federer's with only the EverReady Energizer Bunny standing between him and a semifinal berth. But I am certain that Tomas is going to being playing it close to his chest as he really needs to be methodical and take it one match at a time.

Another player that gave what I felt was a really good interview was Dominic Thiem. Take a look at this young man and let me know what you think. He has a date with his practice partner Ernests Gulbis and it sounds as if both are ready to go to war...friends or not.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

don_budge

Comment

The Berdych match was impressive. He hit Hewitt off thh court. Berdych is practical and he understands what it takes to go deep in a grand slam. The rest helped him and he tweaked his service motion a bit. I had the pleasure to watch him practice against Gasquet on day 1 of the US Open. He looked good and most of all he looked relaxed. For Berdych, simplicity is best. No paralysis by analysis. Just needs to let his ball striking shine and take over.

The Thiem article is good. He will be a bright star for the ATP. Still needs a few years to develop and maximize on his physical conditioning. I cheer for him as Austria needs another champion after Muster. Stefan Kouek and Jurgen Melzer just not getting it done. With respect though, Melzer did have a year where he was top 10 in singles and doubles, and that's an impressive feat. But few remember that, it's just about the Grand Slams. Rooting for Thiem to get his.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

A boring day at the office...of the 2014 U. S. Open Championships

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) d. Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) 61 63 60
                      [5] Milos Raonic (CAN) d. Peter Gojowczyk (GER) 76(4) 57 64 76(3)
                      [8] Andy Murray (GBR) d. Matthias Bachinger (GER) 63 63 64
                      [9] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) d. Aleksandr Nedovyesov (KAZ) 63 64 64
                      [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) d. Pablo Andujar (ESP) 64 61 ret.
                      [13] John Isner (USA) d. Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) 76(5) 64 62
                      [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP) d. Simone Bolelli (ITA) 57 67(5) 64 63 62
                      [22] Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) d. Michael Llodra (FRA) 62 ret.
                      [23] Leonardo Mayer (ARG) d. Matthew Ebden (AUS) 61 63 64
                      Sam Querrey (USA) d. [28] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 63 64 64
                      Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS) d. [31] Fernando Verdasco (ESP) 63 46 46 75 63
                      Nick Kyrgios (AUS) d. Andreas Seppi (ITA) 64 76(2) 64
                      Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) d. Benoit Paire (FRA) 61 64 36 63
                      Victor Estrella Burgos (DOM) d. Borna Coric (CRO) 76(2) 46 64 62

Was there anything of interest at all...anything? Give me a match...something. Ok...there was a bad call and someone got robbed. What about some stellar play? Some creative tactics that enabled a tactical giant defeat a big hard hitter. Nothing? So sad...

The big hitter all advance and the slightly lesser big hitters slid a notch down the food chain of the ATP tour. The good news is that the first round is over...let the games begin. I am certain that nobody here has noticed that 32 players are seeded in this event. This is to attempt to assure that the better players do not meet each other in the early rounds. Afterall...they have to soak as much out of the talent pool as they possibly can. In 1984 there were only 16 players seeded...that was because the talent was much more abundant and interest in the sport did not depend upon the usual suspects making it to the later rounds.

Sam Groth (AUS) vs. [2] Roger Federer (SUI)
                      Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs. [4] David Ferrer (ESP)
                      [6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs. Martin Klizan (SVK)
                      [7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs. Dudi Sela (ISR)
                      Dominic Thiem (AUT) vs. [11] Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
                      Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) vs. [12] Richard Gasquet (FRA)
                      [14] Marin Cilic (CRO) vs. Illya Marchenko (UKR)
                      [15] Fabio Fognini (ITA) vs. Adrian Mannarino (FRA)
                      Tim Smyczek (USA) vs. [17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP)
                      Jerzy Janowicz (POL) vs. [18] Kevin Anderson (RSA)
                      [19] Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs. Tatsuma Ito (JPN)
                      [20] Gael Monfils (FRA) vs. Alejandro Gonzalez (COL)
                      [25] Ivo Karlovic (CRO) vs. Marcel Granollers (ESP)
                      [26]Gilles Simon (FRA) vs. Federico Delbonis (ARG)
                      David Goffin (BEL) vs. [32] Joao Sousa (POR)
                      Alexander Kudryavtsev (RUS) vs. Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS)

While everyone was busy concluding that the top half of the draw was so much stronger...it just may have been a little deceptive. Especially if a player such as Tomas Berdych is ready to accept the mantle of responsibility and step up to the plate and play to his full potential. But down below it looks to be that the reality is emerging from the initial look...the matches look to be somewhat interesting. Not that it isn't a bunch of big hitter mind you.

Starting at the top it is Roger Federer and in modern tennis it doesn't get any more interesting than him. In fact I would say it isn't very interesting after him. But Bernard Tomic and David Ferrer sounds interesting...even though it isn't. Tomas Berdych is interesting isn't he...because we are certainly trying to hype him to the very best of our God given ability. See how subliminal messaging works. Grigor Dimitrov is emerging as an interesting also...also a benefactor of God given hyping abilities. DOMINIC THIEM versus ERNESTO GULBIS...how's that for hype...I hope the match lives up to the hype just a bit. These things have a way of fizzling out these days. One player inevitably hits a lot harder than the other...these two are BIG hitters. Look out Tomas...by the way. Skip "Cocaine Lips" on the way to Marin Cilic...a possible sleeper. "Fabulous" Fabio Fognini...does he have his girlfriend with him this year? That is my only question regards Fabio. Jerzy Janowicz versus Kevin Anderson...two big hitters facing off. One maybe just a little smarter than the other.

So on and so forth...I don't have the energy to keep up the hype. It's draining...if only the actual action could actually be entertaining...and speak for itself. We could just forget about the hype. "Get him an expresso"...said the Great John McEnroe to Jiminy Glick.

Well it isn't 1984...or is it?
                      don_budge

Comment

Second round action....most of it forgetable

Berdych made it challenging for himself. Won in 5 sets though. Entertaining match. He'll need to get better if he wants to beat Roger in semis and play for the title.

Thiem came from back from two sets to love down against Gulbis. Began using that slice backhand to Gulbis' forehand and it began to turn match around.

It was Thiem's first two sets to love comeback. He only needs 9 more of those to tie the ATP record held by Aaron Krickstein and Boris Becker.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

[2] Roger Federer (SUI) d. Sam Groth (AUS) 64 64 64
                        [4] David Ferrer (ESP) d. Bernard Tomic (AUS) w/o (hip)
                        [6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) d. Martin Klizan (SVK) 63 46 62 36 63
                        [7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs. Dudi Sela (ISR) 61 62 62
                        Dominic Thiem (AUT) d. [11] Ernests Gulbis (LAT) 46 36 64 63 63
                        [12] Richard Gasquet (FRA) d. Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) 76(4) 63 63
                        [14] Marin Cilic (CRO) d. Illya Marchenko (UKR) 76(2) 62 64
                        Adrian Mannarino (FRA) d. [15] Fabio Fognini (ITA) 63 64 61
                        [17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) d. Tim Smyczek (USA) 63 62 61
                        [18] Kevin Anderson (RSA) d. Jerzy Janowicz (POL) 67(6) 62 61 63
                        [19] Feliciano Lopez (ESP) d. Tatsuma Ito (JPN) 64 36 64 76(4)
                        [20] Gael Monfils (FRA) d. Alejandro Gonzalez (COL) 75 63 62
                        Marcel Granollers (ESP) d. [25] Ivo Karlovic (CRO) 76(6) 67(3) 76(5) 36 64
                        [26] Gilles Simon (FRA) d. Federico Delbonis (ARG) 64 36 75 61
                        David Goffin (BEL) d. [32] Joao Sousa (POR) 64 62 60
                        Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS) d. Alexander Kudryavtsev (RUS) 61 64 76(4)

From the top...Roger "No muss, no fuss" Federer. Sam Groth...bing, bang, bye. David Ferrer gets the worst possible scenario...energy to burn now.

Which brings us to Tomas Berdych who somehow becomes to resemble more of a question mark than anything more definitive. I TRIED to watch some of his match yesterday. Honestly tried...but to be honest I didn't quite pull it off. Not really. He lacks charisma. He lacks a certain dynamic...there is nothing really dynamic about him. Where is the passion? The smoldering fire burning deep inside. Where is the rage? Ok...maybe I watched too many movies when I grew up in America. Maybe I watched too much of the great John McEnroe....speaking of which...where is his net game? Come on Tomas...you must give me something to write home about. I know what he can do...he can win this next match and play you know who in the next round. The fact is Tomas is going to have to play it one match at a time...he of all people cannot afford to look past any opponent.

Grigor Dimitrov over the Israeli. No further comments...except he is one step closer to a showdown with his cloner.

Now finally...something to write about. Someone of interest. A breath of fresh air...Dominic Theim over his practice partner and bad boy Ernests Gulbis. First of all I have to say that Ernesto definitely shows the most disdain and contempt for lesser human beings than anyone I have seen on the tennis court. His use of the ball boys as his personal cabana boys and girls is just rude. I am hereby proposing that the ball boys and girls are no longer required to fetch the towel for these morons. They have the option to refuse in any acceptable manner that they choose. For instance...if some jerk like Gulbis asks for the towel they can mutter "fuck you" in an inaudible tone with a blank look on their face and force him to fetch his own lousy towel.

Really...it's a sign. I know a sign when I see one. It's a bad sign. Theim and Gulbis are practice partners...or should I say were. I am guessing that the ass kicking that Theim just heaped on Gulbis is going to be just a bit too much for the ego maniac. But on the positive side...keep an eye on this kid. He hopefully will have a moment in the spotlight with Tomas Berdych coming up in another round.

Watch this interview...look at the eyes. Listen to the measured responses to the seemingly inane questions. When he says something you can feel it...he is touching. He means it. There is the fire deep inside smoldering that I think that Tomas Berdych lacks. I like this kid...he reminds me of my little buddy...Aaron Krickstein. One of the nicest kids you could ever hope to meet...but deep down inside there was this assassin like quality to him. Nick Bolletieri likes to brag that Dr. Krickstein took Aaron to Nick so that Nick could teach him to be Italian...I was there first. Jerk.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

klacr...just might be right. "The Kid's" time might be a couple of years away. But I am not so certain...he gives me this feeling that something is about to happen. Just look at those eyes. The unwavering stare. Plus...he is the ideal size for a tennis player.

The rest of it...who cares. Ok...I will try to power my way through it. Richard Gasquet...and Gail Monfils. Too bad one of them has to win. Marin Cilic...another sleeper in the draw advances. Another big guy playing with a two handed backhand who never should have once he was old enough to drive. Mannarino...I can never forgive you...was just one look at the eye candy too much to ask for. Kevin Anderson is a whole lot smarter than Jerzy Janowicz. Feliciano looking alright...looking into the eyes of Dominic Theim now. Dominic wants revenge and they haven't even player before...see what I mean about this kid. Granollers, Simon, Gabashvill...a mixed bag of players hitting with various degrees of power. Enough already!

David Goffin...another possible breath of fresh air. Nothing would make me happier to see him stand up and keep up his really tough play. He closed this last opponent out with impunity...a seed no less.

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. Sam Querrey (USA)
                        [3] Stan Wawrinka (SUI) vs. Blaz Kavcic (SLO)
                        Victor Estrella Burgos (DOM) vs. [5] Milos Raonic (CAN)
                        Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS) vs. [8] Andy Murray (GBR)
                        [9] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) vs. Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP)
                        [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs. [23] Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
                        [22] Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. [13] John Isner (USA)
                        Nick Kyrgios (AUS) vs. [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP)

The top half turns out to be quite boring. At least to this point. Look for things to liven up in one more round. Nick Kyrgios is the wild card here. He is the joker. If he shows up in your court...he is definitely throwing heat. The question will be is...is it enough? If the answer is yes...it will be another sad day for the sport. A beautiful game ruined by the overemphasis on power and speed.

A beats B. A hits harder than B. This has basically held up in the first two rounds. Hopefully it becomes a little more dependent upon other variables. Looking for dynamics. Come on Roger...you can do it! Come on Dominic...you can do it too!
                        Last edited by don_budge; 08-30-2014, 02:15 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

I watched the first two sets of Gulbis versus Thiem. Gulbis had him by the scruff of the net and seemed to be able turn up the heat an break at will.

A few hours later I come back and Thiem has won in five. How things must have turned around there is hard to imagine. Gulbis looked the far stronger player.
                          Stotty

Comment

The Turnaround...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                            I watched the first two sets of Gulbis versus Thiem. Gulbis had him by the scruff of the net and seemed to be able turn up the heat an break at will.

A few hours later I come back and Thiem has won in five. How things must have turned around there is hard to imagine. Gulbis looked the far stronger player.
                            Gulbis had some issues going on. I believe that towards the end of the second set he was getting assistance from a trainer. He took "comfort" breaks after the second set and after the third set.

I think it was in the third set he landed very awkwardly on a fairly routine backhand which he didn't even manage to get his racquet on and Thiem alluded to an injury in his interview.

Thiem came from back from two sets to love down against Gulbis. Gulbis was spent. Maybe too much smoking and drinking. Claim he had an injury and resorted to chipping his forehand in the last few games. Thiem looked lost in the first two sets out there. No real game plan. Then he started matching Gulbis for pace and depth. Began using that slice backhand to Gulbis' forehand and it began to turn match around. It was Thiem's first two sets to love comeback. He only needs 9 more of those to tie the ATP record held by Aaron Krickstein and Boris Becker.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            As if you can do "too much smoking and drinking". But Thiem played it smart and he did resort to the slice backhand. It wasn't just a defensive slice...it was a pretty wicked slice. But Gulbis did seem to be hurt...he was manhandling the kid for the first two sets, almost toying with him. The kid played it smart and he lives to play another day...which is the name of the game these days. They don't say how on the draw sheet, just how many.

It is disconcerting that Thiem didn't look to have a game plan and I have seen that in him before. More mindless bashing of the tennis ball. Hopefully the slicing episode will stick with him and teach him to mix things up when things go a bit south...when you right the ship you can resume bashing or even try to ride the other tactics to the barn. It was a good change of pace ploy.

My concentration isn't very good in general watching these senseless bashing matches. It's hard to hold your attention with the repetitive nature of everything...more coffee! Early rounds are definitely a snooze fest...the later rounds on life support by virtue of the cult of celebrity.
                            don_budge

Comment

It's always dangerous to play a practice partner.

Comment

Third Round Entertainment Value...pretty low in general but with some possibilities

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                                It's always dangerous to play a practice partner.
                                Like most things in life...it is what you make of it. This coming from a person that doesn’t believe that you owe your opponent an apology on a net cord winner.

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) d. Sam Querrey (USA) 63 62 62
                                [3] Stan Wawrinka (SUI) d. Blaz Kavcic (SLO) ret. (right foot)
                                [5] Milos Raonic (CAN) d. Victor Estrella Burgos (DOM) 76(5) 76(5) 76(3)
                                [8] Andy Murray (GBR) d. Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS) 61 75 46 62
                                [9] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) d. Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) 64 64 64
                                [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) d. [23] Leonardo Mayer (ARG) 64 62 63
                                [22] Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) d. [13] John Isner (USA)7 6(4) 46 76(2) 76(4)
                                [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP) d. Nick Kyrgios (AUS) 36 63 76(4) 63

I tried to watch the tennis. I really tried. But you know what the problem is? The problem is one of engagement. The tennis doesn't suit my fancy. You know how they say that "birds of a feather flock together"...well it is difficult for me to relate to such tennis. Hard and harder. Without nuance...thoughtfulness...or sensitivity. Just bashing the ball with big racquets. After all of these years the classic tennis remains the influence that it was. I still respect that game that was played with wood and look at this as some kind of...aberration.

Speaking of birds of a feather flock together. I noticed the last couple of days that the swallows are gathering here on the farm. There were at least thirty of them perched on an old TV antenna on the house and some in the air. Swirling around in circles making their high pitched scream as they zoom to and fro. They will make their sojourn to the north of Africa together. We had two little families here that found their home here. One family in our barn and the other in our house...or rather under our roof. Two different types of swallows. I wish that I could fly with them and see the world as they see it. Not that I am bored with myself. Maybe just a little.

But be that as it may...we go forwards into the 2014 U. S. Open Championships. I can still admire the athleticism...as someone here once said. First up yesterday was Novak Djokovic versus Sam Querrey. bottle calls him a Frankenstein but I am not so certain. There isn’t much scary about this “Sudden Sam” and there isn’t very much entertainment value either. Just plodding...plodding. Plodding along. So Novak just plodded along doing only what he had to and then he tried to make it interesting to Mats Wilander afterwards with Barbara Schett on Eurosport Channel with "Mat's Point, Set and Match". Talking shit...talking crap. Unable to drum up any meaningful conversation about the one dimensional tennis he played against Querry...Novak said he served well and something else, I forget what he said. Then they lapsed into some drivel about his marriage...the wife is always right (giggle Mats and Novak)...and Novak’s dance steps. He even offered to dance a bit if they could only produce a few bars. They couldn’t. He didn’t. Off they all journeyed into the night...with the New York skyline silhouetted in the twilight horizon behind them.

Stan Wawrinka caught a rest but it won’t amount to a break. He really needs the work. All he has to show for the week is a victory over Jiri Vesely and Tomas Bellucci. Not exactly household names. When he needed to be out in front of the Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd as the defending Australian Open Champion. Instead he was back somewhere on the practice courts...pounding, pounding, pounding. Pounding is great...but he needed to get acclimated to the crowd and the conditions. Who knows...maybe it won’t be a factor. Or maybe it will. But there is one significant person as far as Stanislas is concerned that will swear that it is a factor and that person is none other than Tommy Robredo. Tommy put together a nice portfolio of experience to the trump card of Nick Kyrgios’ youth and came out the victor. In his interview he said all of the right things...he spoke of his experience. He has it down to a tee. In the end...he knew what it would take to take just enough air out of the high flying Australian to bring him down to earth where he could land him. Robredo even conceded that Wawrinka had an advantage by getting some rest instead of battling it out under the lights...which may have been a nice little sleight of hand as well. In practically the same sentence he mentioned that he was out for revenge for the Australian Open defeat this year.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Andy Murray were matches that I glanced at without getting too involved with. Engaged with. Tsong over Busta...Murray over Kuznetsov. Ok already...they really hit hard. Also the announcers in Murray’s match tried really hard to convince whoever was listening that Andy is a really cagey tennis player with lots of savy and all of that. He wasn’t clutching as much as he normally does...but he was winning quite routinely. I saw bits and pieces of Kei Nishikori beat Leonardo Mayer...it wasn’t much to write home about.

The one match that I did see parts of all of each set was the Milos Ranoic and Victor Estreslla Burgos match. It was a little interesting watching an overmatched Burgos go about systematically trying to defuse his more powerful and stronger opponent. The fast and powerful serving Raonic. But it was all in vain...as the Great John McEnroe said in his great autobiography “Serious”...the advantage is to the stronger server when it all comes down to the tie-breaker. Raonic proved him right as the diminutive Dominican Republican native was certainly overmatched by raw power in the serve department. But he was at least even or had the edge in the guile department. He played smart and used the slice backhand as a neutralizing agent to the very best of his ability.

So on a scale of one to ten in terms of entertainment I would give it a three...maybe a two and a half. If you take the Novak Djokovic interview into account it gets the three...it was really kind of stupid but since they managed to degrade women just in joking...it gets a slight boost. Speaking of the women...I will make a rare post regarding the women’s action yesterday as I saw a bit of several matches. It was a very boring day here in the Swedish countryside other than watching the swallows gather...but certainly it was better than the battle fields of Iraq or any number of godforsaken places in the Middle East. God forbid.

Marcel Granollers (ESP) vs. [2] Roger Federer (SUI)
[26]
                                Gilles Simon (FRA) vs. [4] David Ferrer (ESP)

[6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs. Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS)

[7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs. David Goffin (BEL)

[20] Gael Monfils (FRA) vs. [12] Richard Gasquet
                                (FRA)
Adrian Mannarino (FRA) vs. [17] Roberto Bautista Agut
                                (ESP)
[14] Marin Cilic (CRO) vs. [18] Kevin Anderson (RSA)

[19] Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs. Dominic Thiem (AUT)

Roger Federer versus Marcel Granollers is only interesting to gage the performance of Roger. Gilles Simon and David Ferrer is not interesting by definition because David Ferrer is playing...you can include the fact that Gilles Simon is playing as well as a contributing factor. Tomas Berdych against Teymuraz Gabashvili...try and keep up the hype for one more round.

Grigor Dimitrov and David Goffin is just beginning to peak some interest but it will be another thing to see if they can sustain that interest for the entirety of a three out of five match. The longer it goes the interest level should go up. If it is short in Dimitrov’s favor it may be interesting to note that he is in good form for the next round. Against you know who.

Gael Monfils and his French compatriot...”Cocaine Lips” Richard Gasquet. What to think of this? Two French guys...who like to party. Hmmm...at first glance I said “nnaahhh...” but let’s give it the benefit of the doubt. It has possibilities. Monfils is at least as much of a showman as he is a tennis player and Richard is a nice one handed player. The contrast and similarities might just give us enough contrast, yet irony, to be a spectacle. Again...the longer it goes on the better chance it has at being entertaining.

Adriano Mannarino, another French player, does not deserve any mention for taking Fabio’s eye candy out of the lens’ eye. Agut should send him packing for that grievance. So the question is...is Mannarino for real. I once had a supervisor named Mannarino...the biggest Italian blow hard I have ever known. Bigger than even you know who. Marin Cilic against Kevin Anderson...two big hitters with two handed backhands. Why do you guys need the two hands on the racquet? Why???

Match of the day. Without a doubt...Feliciano Lopez vs. Dominic Thiem. Come on Dominic...make it your time. Say after me...it’s my thiem. It’s my time. Some real possible entertainment value here. A hot left handed Feliciano Lopez who has sex appeal and the young and thoughtful Dominic Thiem. Feliciano knows how to play the whole court. Dominic says he wants revenge for the time that he didn't play Lopez. He had to withdraw because of the flu...you have to like this rational. It was Lopez' fault. Dominic Thiem...he with the burrowing gaze. This is where the metal is forged...in the furnace of the Grand Slam pressure and crowds. The expectations rise and so does the level of play...if it is worthy. This could be interesting.
                                Last edited by don_budge; 08-31-2014, 04:15 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7914 users online. 5 members and 7909 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X