No announcement yet.

2014 U. S. Open Championships...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Women’s Side...the Female Persuasion.

Somehow I found myself watching the women which is a surprise in itself. I love watching women...just not when they are playing professional tennis. Usually. It’s strange how little sex appeal these ladies actually have considering how much men like to watch women in various stages of undress. Afterall there is plenty of legs to admire. I guess in the end there is something decidedly unfeminine in most of our women tennis players.

Take Serena Williams for instance. I cannot watch her for very long before I get the distinct impression that she is not a she. Against every single woman she is ever matched up against she looks decidedly masculine in comparison. The shoulders, the legs, the bulging muscles. The fake voice. Even the face and head. Something isn’t right...or so it seems to me. I’ve known a lot of women trust me. So I watched her for less than two games and then I couldn’t watch any more. Her attitude has always struck me as bizarre as well. Her behavior looks to be so rehearsed...as if she is always pretending to be something that she is not. She looks down on her opponents...as if she were a man looking down on women as inferior competitors. Her sister acts the very same way. Genetic?

I didn’t see her next opponent play but she beat a distant cousin of mine named Carla in the previous round. Plus she is Estonian. Hmmm...a female Estonian tennis player. I’m rooting for her. I hope she is beautiful...as all Estonian reputedly are. Well let's just say that in my experience they are...but then again I have only known one. Does anybody have any idea where Estonia is?

I did happen to watch the Italian flavor Flavia Pennetta play a bit in her match against Nicole Gibbs and it looks to me that she has really spent a lot of time in the sun. Battle hardened. It’s tough out there...no doubt about it. She was such a pretty gal...I'm sure she still is. No doubt she cleans up real nice.

Petra Kvitova, the 2014 Ladies Wimbledon Champion came tumbling down. She was brought down by moon balls of all things. I remember watching her and thinking that she certainly is nowhere near as impressive as her fellow left-handed Czech lady tennis player who straddled over classic tennis and modern tennis, Martina Navratilova. Where Petra supposedly looked so impressive in the Wimbledon final where she didn’t meet the least bit of resistance...she virtually imploded in the face of an opponent that was willing to keep the ball in play and force her to play. I am certain she is a better player than today...it’s just that she isn’t as good as the Wimbledon final made her look.

Her opponent in the Wimbledon Ladies final did an about face here at the 2014 U. S. Open as well. Against Kvitova in the Wimbledon final it almost looked to me as if she tanked. But that isn’t possible is it? Nobody tanks the Wimbledon final. Last night on Arthur Ashe Stadium in front of the night crowd in the Big Apple she was way more inspired and she battled an inspired opponent as well. Eugenie Bouchard had to “man up” in order to hold off another Czech lady tennis player by the name of Barbara Zahlavova Strycova who was seeded number thirty to Eugenie’s number seven. I watched the entire third set hoping that I could stay up late enough to see Robredo and Kyrgios. It was actually some of the more entertaining tennis that I have seen this past week. The Czech definitely had much more variety in her game compared to the rather robotic Canadian princess. She sliced the backhand at times...she approached the net at times...she pulled off a couple of drop-shots...she was retrieving like a chocolate labrador retriever all of the time. It was great fun and it was good to see the “Ice Maiden” get her hands a little dirty...not to mention she's got a nice physique for a lady tennis player...to grind out this win.

I watched exactly two point of Victoria Azarenka...turned it off. Why would I subject myself to that sort of banshee screaming. Hideous...almost as ugly as you know who.
    Last edited by don_budge; 08-31-2014, 04:09 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I watched exactly two point of Victoria Azarenka...turned it off. Why would I subject myself to that sort of banshee screaming. Hideous...almost as ugly as you know who.

"almost"......it is very hard to watch Victoria, but I argree, Serena is the most unwatchable. Especially after watching an effortless, efficient, Federer. Never have heard him make a sound striking the ball. On a side note, I went to the Cincy Masters for a couple of days. One day I was there, the 2nd match in the stadium that day was Serena vs someone(?). At the same time Murray was playing Isner in the Grandstand(where I was). The stadium was a ghost town, except for a few folks at the very top of the stands peeking over to watch the Grandstand. The Grandstand was packed, the ushers turning folks away for at least the last hour plus of the match. You have to wonder sometimes who in the world schedules these court assignments. Just clueless.

Comment

R & R Roger...Over and Out

Rock and Roll...Roger Federer. Shut out the lights.
        don_budge

Comment

Good Night...Dominic

I'm going to bed now. Dominic...I am trusting you to get the horse in the barn. You are looking good...I am proud of you.
          don_budge

Comment

Enough of the Niceties...Now it’s War (Shock and Awe)

2] Roger Federer (SUI) d. Marcel Granollers (ESP) 46 61 61 61

[26] Gilles Simon (FRA) d. [4] David Ferrer (ESP) 63 36 61 63

[6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) d. Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS) 63 62 64

[7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) d. David Goffin (BEL) 06 63 64 61

[20] Gael Monfils (FRA) d. [12] Richard Gasquet (FRA) 64 62 62

[17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) d. Adrian Mannarino (FRA) 75 62 63

[14] Marin Cilic (CRO) d. [18] Kevin Anderson (RSA) 63 36 63 64

Dominic Thiem (AUT) d. [19] Feliciano Lopez (ESP) 64 62 63

Well...the boys are getting their dander up. Shorts in a bunch...except for Nadal. Boy...am I glad he isn’t here. It says something when you are not around and things automatically get better. I can do without his ticks and nonsense. Picking, swiping, bouncing, tugging, fist-pumping...the rest of it. Of course the rest have picked up on it. Tennis players have always had their ticks...they just never marketed them.

Enough of the niceties already. No more foreplay. Act one coming soon. Next round...the round of 16 to further separate the men from the boys and then we have the real tournament. The last eight. Most of the slots are bought and paid for but there are a couple of loose cannons in the draw still...trying to believe. All they need is a reason.

First he threw Granoller's a bone and then it was Hammer Time from Roger Federer. Looking like the legendary Thor wielding that new ThunderStick of his. Perhaps this is what Stefan Edberg brings to the table...Scandinavian legend. Möllnir...Thor's hammer that protected Asgard. Home of the gods. It’s all about the racquet. That is all that this is. Bigger racquet equals more sweetspot equals improvement in every category of his game equals confidence...yesterday was the living proof from the Living Proof. Wilson created a monster and he is playing angry and with disdain.

Great use of the slice backhand by the way. It really handcuffed Marcel. When he employed it crosscourt to the two handed backhand it forces the two hander to drop to one hand and then he has them. His one hander against the two hander's one hander. Advantage Federer. He hit a couple of wicked ones down the line that laid right down in the corner near the baseline. The advantage of slice is that you can control the placement much better particularly in terms of depth. Lady Mercy wasn't home last night. Thor's hammer to fall.

I haven’t seen that look on his face for a few years. The smirking look of disdain. Just ask Mercel Granollers how that felt and he will tell you. Ouch..that hurt! That was embarrassing...and it was. Look at that pathetic service motion...he deserved it. Give him credit for not packing it in. He tried...and it must have been demoralizing because Roger threw everything but the kitchen sink at him...right in front of God and everyone. He was rearing back and jsut unleashing his serve the whole match. He was really sharp and now if he is smart...and he is...he is going to go back and try to ramp it up one notch each match. He’s been here many, many times and he knows just how to pace himself. He knows the score and he knows exactly where he is at all times. He can probably tell you exactly how much he is worth at any given time...or he can just ask his wife.

Gilles Simon beat a somewhat impaired David Ferrer who looked like I did last Friday before the gates of hell came pouring out of my stomach. Does Simon look somewhat more buffed? I thought so...definitely so. Ferrer really went down fighting. He looked really out of it but somehow he was just fighting tooth and nail right to the end. He’s boring to watch but this dude has really got the intestinal fortitude part of it...it looked like he was going to lose that part of it too. He may have just made it to the bathroom...the comfort zone.

Tomas Berdych...I’m out of hype. He just doesn’t warrant it...it’s hard to watch. The play is equally boring as David Ferrer. I saw the handshake and there is no denying it, he is obviously a really nice fellow. I think that he needs to hang around with some black dudes. He needs a little "SuperFly Shuffle" in his game if you know what I mean. Too bad his coaches never saw to raise the dynamic level of his game...that’s all I have to say.

I went to bed just as Gael Monfils and Grigor Dimitrov took the courts and this is going to be one helluva match up. Hopefully the winner will play Roger Federer. Roberto Agut beat Adrian Mannarino. I really don’t like Mannarino for a couple of reasons...neither which are rational. Marin Cilic over Kevin Anderson...no surprise and no entertainment value. Cilic is the sleeper.

Which brings us to “The Dominator” Dominic Thiem...next up for Tomas Berdych. The only unseeded player left in the draw. Interesting matchup isn't it...the question is does Tomas have too much power game and just a bit more experience than Dominic. It’s a really good question too. One that I don’t have an answer for which is another reason that they are going to have to play the match. I’m all out for Dominic...he reminds me more and more of my little buddy Aaron Krickstein. It’s only something about his look...about how he handles himself. Such a modest yet confident gaze in the eyes...giving nothing away yet leaving as little as possible to chance.

I watched his match against Feliciano Lopez and it was quite good...he overpowered the guile and all court tactics of Lopez. Lopez was rather bewildered by the young Austrian as he probed every part of the court looking for a sign of weakness. It wasn’t even a match and Dominic never let up on him. I’m picking him over Berdych...it may be premature. But like klacr...I am going to stick with my boy. It give the forum a good cop, bad cop confrontation. Ok...I’ll be the bad one.

Somehow the bottom half of the draw became the more interesting and quite possibly just as tough or tougher than the top. So much for the initial stacked draw...they are going to have to play it out just the same.
            I need a coffee...today’s matches to come.
            Last edited by don_budge; 09-01-2014, 12:35 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

Screaming Banshees to Siberia...Sharapova, Azarenka and possibly Williams

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              it is very hard to watch Victoria, but I argree, Serena is the most unwatchable. Especially after watching an effortless, efficient, Federer. Never have heard him make a sound striking the ball.
              A resurrected Caroline Wozniacki...she who was summarily dumped by Rory McElroy of golfing fame...did her own dumping last night. She dumped the Sister Screaming Banshee of Azarenka into the mulch pile of annoying sounds. The most annoying sounds ever in the planet of tennis...please someone ban them for all eternity. It isn't lady like...not that that counts for anything.

Maria Sharapova is an interesting piece of work. She uses all of the mind games...sort of a like a Rafael Nadal without the pulling of the shorts out of the ass incessantly. Maria has her own ticks and devices as well a possible hitch in her service motion...she double faulted 22 times in the process of shrieking herself out of the tournament.

Sharapova obviously uses her screaming as an intimidation device and it is really strange that the tennis authorities do not see this and do something about it. She and Azarenka both. They should be incarcerated in the same padded sound proof room somewhere in Siberia left to scream and shriek at each other...for no other reason than to understand what people that are watching them play tennis have to put up with. Throw Serena in the same cell too...dependent upon a panty check first.

Sharapova seems to be the most obvious and the most calculating of the screamers. Her range in decibels and pitch are unparalleled...giving new meaning to the term 10splayer coined..."whining bitch". A most unflattering term reserved for those who truly deserve it. She might vary her tone and pitch depending upon the point...the situation...the score...or whatever other reason she deems as a strategic reason to yell out loud and louder. She screams on everything.

I wonder if Grigor will ever put a stop to her screaming, you know when he hits the right spot...some night in a swank hotel in New York he might just have to say..."hey honey...the neighbors. Put a sock in it!"
              Last edited by don_budge; 09-01-2014, 12:28 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

Berdych v. Thiem. Looking forward to that. Thiem looked impressive against a very capable Feliciano Lopez. Berdych took control over Gabashvili. How will Thiem handle the occasion? How will Berdych handle Thiem?

Our two favorites are doing battle don_budge. I do like Thirm and have been rooting for him thus far. Until now. May the best player win.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Gentlemen...start your engines. The round of sixteen...revving up.

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. [22] Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)
                  [3] Stan Wawrinka (SUI) vs. [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP)
                  [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs. [5] Milos Raonic (CAN)
                  [9] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) vs. [8] Andy Murray (GBR)

And so it goes...until we arrive at the round of sixteen. In the top half of the draw only seeds have prevailed so far. The protected 32...compared to the protected 16 in 1984. Another wrinkle in the game of modern tennis.

Novak Djokovic vs. Phillipp Kohlschreiber. A foregone conclusion unless "The Cabbage Kid" can demonstrate otherwise. Not very entertaining unless Phillipp comes up with something special...something different. Uni-grip topspin volleys anyone?

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs. Andy Murray. Andy owns him 9-2...with the most recent Tsonga win in Toronto perhaps meaningless in the big picture. Unless Tsonga can use it to turbo charge his confidence. Tsonga has defeated Murray long ago in the first round of the 2008 Australian Open...a Grand Slam venue. Who cares? Those that want to see some wear and tear on Djokovic in the next round...somehow. Entertainment value? It's always fun to see Murray clutch and grab when he is losing...otherwise it is negligible.

Stan Wawrinka vs. Tommy Robredo. This is the kicker. Tommy mentions revenge for the recent spanking down under in the 2014 Australian Open round of 16. Otherwise Robredo owns Stan 6-1 head to head. Way back in 2006 there was a round of 32 straight set win for Robredo. Tommy mentioned revenge and he seriously means that. He likes to take out Swiss high flying stars at the U. S. Open and dump them unceremoniously into the DecoTurf. He derailed Roger Federer last year in the round of sixteen in straight sets for his only win in 12 tries against the real Swiss Maestro. Wawrinka is much more vulnerable. He has shown that he is not that comfortable wearing the mantle of a Grand Slam Champion and the accompanying bullseye of a target that goes square between the shoulder blades for other players to take their best shots at. He has been a little reticent. A little unforthcoming. A little unresponsive. Tight lipped, buttoned up, quiet, taciturn, guarded, secretive. Stan...you have to lighten up a bit. Let it flow...and maybe you win. Tighten up...you lose. Could it be so simple as that? Unlikely. But potentially entertaining...potentially very entertaining.

Kei Nishikori vs. Milos Raonic. Raonic kicked his butt...really seriously at Wimbledon. Nishikori looked like he was fishing not playing tennis. He couldn't get his racquet on the Raonic Taco Bell style of serve. This might be a different story. If Estrella could get it back why shouldn't Nishikori...once the ball is in play the advantage quietly slips over to Nishikori. An interesting match once again. But entertaining...not so certain. Both players lack the dynamic of charisma.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 09-01-2014, 01:26 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge

Comment

The Top Half...the round of 16 (foreplay over). The Tournament begins.

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) d. [22] Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) 61 75 64
                    [3] Stan Wawrinka (SUI) d. [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP) 75 46 76(7) 62
                    [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs. [5] Milos Raonic (CAN)
                    [8] Andy Murray (GBR) d. [9] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) 75 75 64

As I write Milos Raonic and Kei Nishikori battle into the night for a berth in the 2014 U. S. Open quarterfinals

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) d. [22] Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) 61 75 64...A routine walk into the quarterfinals. Accompanied by the mandatory curtain call to the adoring fans.

[3] Stan Wawrinka (SUI) d. [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP) 75 46 76(7) 62...A great rivalry played out on a great stage...Flushing Meadows. Wawrinka stood up and took the bull by the horns. He took a tumble into the stands late in the third set and use it to catapult himself in the third set tiebreak and I assume through the fourth set...which I slept through. Not that it wasn't worth watching...it was late. The commentary is a part of the background noise and there are so many comments worth deliberating. About the package that is being sold to the public. Much isn't all that positive and if you read between the lines it is questionable. For example...Wawrinka makes what would have been termed a routine volley and the comments are superlative and awe inspiring. This was a backcourt duel which is no surprise. The rallies were ok but as far a variation of tactics...these two players were interchangeable...it was almost as if they were playing themselves. Stan Wawrinka took over the match because he is stronger and hit harder therefore wearing out an older and slightly more vulnerable opponent.

[8] Andy Murray (GBR) d. [9] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) 75 75 64...So much is made of Murray's ability to change the pace of the game. I don't think that is the case so much as he transitions between aggressive and defensive more seamlessly than a Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for instance. Tsonga's style of play is prototypically modern based solely on power and bullying tactics. This match was not that interesting and I wonder...how many people will sit through the entire duration if they don't have to. If they haven't bought a ticket for instance. Anyone?

[10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs. [5] Milos Raonic (CAN) 64 67 76 57 23...so it stands with Raonic winning the first and third. Guess how the match is progressing? Big serving Raonic winning his serve with huge "shock and awe" serving. The "Samurai Kid" gets the return and the dynamic changes to a battle off of the ground...edge to Nishikori. The only thing that matter is what will make for the more entertaining quarterfinal against Stan Wawrinka. That is solely a matter of taste. Nishikori up a break in the fifth and Raonic flat on his heels...who do you think?

Luke Jenson in the booth...one of the original pawns in the Prince Graphite scam. Luke made his reputation for being the zany one but his brother aced him in that regard. These two helped to usher in the circus like atmosphere in the game today. Their doubles antics were the precursor of the modern game. Perhaps the original "chest bumpers" in doubles that the Bryan Brothers have taken over.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 09-01-2014, 10:23 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

The Bottom Half...the round of 16

[17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) vs. [2] Roger Federer (SUI)
                      [6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs. Dominic Thiem (AUT)
                      [7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs. [20] Gael Monfils (FRA)
                      [14] Marin Cilic (CRO) vs. [26] Gilles Simon (FRA)

From the top...of the bottom half. The players are jockeying for position. The earlier results in the tournament translate into the players current form. Roger is looking extremely good based on his last match against a hapless opponent. Roger is the story...the rest of it is the supporting cast.

Roger Federer vs. Roberto Bautista Agut...Let's get it over with. Make it quick Roger...because your fate awaits you in the quarters. Keep doing exactly what you have been doing...never change a winning game. These are the tactics that are going to carry you through the tournament. He will have to be a bit fatalistic about things and shorten the points. It is, of course much easier to accomplish with the crack serving. Now that he is on even ground with his opposition equipment wise it all boils down to getting the quick drop which means serving edge and striking first. Playing smart defense and neutralizing by means of slicing the backhand when the situation dictates. Smart approach shots...no swinging volleys. A delicate combination of nuts and bolts and a magic wand.

Tomas Berdych vs. Dominic Thiem...Oh my goodness. It is too much to hope for. Tomas' experience is the trump card. His ability to keep the ball in play without over hitting. Berdych is the pick...but only because conventional wisdom dictates so. don_budge always bets with his heart...which is why he is such a pathetic loser at times. It's Dominator Time.

Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils...Talk about polar opposites. The studied and contrived Dimitrov and the loosey goosey Monfils. Dimitrov is playing it by the book...following in HIS footsteps while Monfils is listening to a drummer all of his own. Monfils is a loose cannon let's face it. But can he sustain it against a consistently hardening opponent as Dimitrov. I don't believe that he can. It's a matter of substance over the wild and lesser disciplined. Dimitrov has the revenge factor going for him...Monfils beat him at the 2011 U. S. Open in straight sets. He is obviously aiming to set the record straight.

Marin Cilic vs. Gilles Simon...I was looking at Marin as the sleeper in the draw until I looked up the head to head for these two. Simon by a surprising 4-0 with last match a convincing 5-setter at the 2014 Australian Open where Simon took Cilic going away. Go figure...all of their matches have gone the distance yet Simon wins every time. Both players are in very good form and it should be a very competitive match. There is a first time for everything...but not every time obviously. Let's hope that they go the distance again and the best man wins.

Federer and Berdych appear to be the favorites in their matches. Infinitely more dynamic entertainment appeal than in the top half. A great mix of the establishment players and the New Kids on the Block. It's strange how this tournament has "evolved" because at the initial glance it appeared that the top half was stronger...now I am not so certain. Four very potentially entertaining matches in store for this evening. Federer speaks for himself...he an anybody. Berdych and Thiem is going to be the most anticipated for me. Dimitrov and Monfils is downright compelling on paper if it materializes. The same might even be said for Cilic and Simon.
                      don_budge

Comment

Caroline Wozniacki...Love hurts

Caroline Wozniacki has had her critics in the past. A defensive game and not landing a grand slam title while she was ranked No. 1 provided fodder for her detractors.

Having never been a fan of Caroline...or anyone else for that matter...I find myself sympathetically drawn to her performance in this tournament.

She has suffered a major setback in life. Just as all of us have. Somehow I see her as a human being...a feminine sort too. Beating the "Screaming Banshee" firmly placed me in her corner that night. She has committed herself to running a Marathon probably seeking that degree of separation from the sting of a broken heart.

Seeing her Dad in her corner is reassuring to me. To see that kind of parental support when she probably needs it most...in the public eye. It's touching. It's rare.

It didn't work out for two very high profile athletes. How tough it must be for these people to match up with mere mortals but on the other hand the conflicts that arise with like partners make it impossible as well. Being rich and famous does not necessarily make it any easier to be truly happy...the money only makes it appear to be. It's insulating...from the reality of things. But when the rooster comes home to roost...and he always does...it still hurts. It is just the way it is.
                        don_budge

Comment

So unlike Serena, Victoria, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Maria, Caroline comes across as completely genuine and likeable. I also find myself pulling for her, even more so when she got past Maria.

Comment

[3]Stan Wawrinka (SUI) d. [16] Tommy Robredo (ESP) 75 46 76(7) 62
                            I only saw the first set with these two but found the set quite gripping. I actually think Robredo is tactically more astute than many in the way he played Wawrinka. He has less game than Wawrinka but ran him close. Robredo varies his position to return serve which is good tactic. He also served cleverly to Wawrinka's forehand to force the block return, allowing a better foothold in the rallies from the get-go. He had a good spell where he hit straight down the middle...another good ploy to use against the big hitting Swiss.

I missed the next three sets as it was late here in the UK.

These were sound tactics in the modern power game where anything more intricate is tough to pull off. I just wonder if modern tactics are more about hitting key spots on the court as opposed to slicing and dicing and mixing things up.

It was interesting to listen to a recent Murray interview where he said getting the ball beyond a certain point and above a certain height to an opponents backhand will often neutralise things even at the highest level. And he doesn't aim for the corner to do this...more four or so feet inside the sideline.
                            Last edited by stotty; 09-02-2014, 05:37 AM.
                            Stotty

Comment

Robredo is a very solid and crafty player. I was listening to Jim Courier's commentary one of his matches and he had a very interesting statement about Robredo.

Courier said that Tommy Robredo is the perfect litmus test for all tour players. If you are talented and gifted and have the skills and conditioning and potential to be a great player than you should beat Robredo. But if you have not put in the hard yards and undisciplined in your approach and game plan then you will lose to Robredo.

Wawrinka and Robredo was a fun match to watch, just for the backhands alone. Speaking of one handed backhands, anyone else miss Tommy Haas?

Bottom half of the draw has Berdych-Federer semifinal written all over it. Or so I hope.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

The Return of Serve...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                                Robredo varies his position to return serve which is good tactic.

I just wonder if modern tactics are more about hitting key spots on the court as opposed to slicing and dicing and mixing things up.
                                I thought that they were both doing much the same thing on the return of serve. It seemed that they both played up a bit on the first serve and blocked with underspin and then they moved back on the second to take the big swing.

Even in the middle of the rallies it was surprising to see how far back they play at times. Wawrinka like to play way back and then he just wallops it...like a baseball swing. I guess he figures that from that far back he can swing as hard as he likes and as long as he has some topspin on the ball it cannot go long.

Interesting about the return of serves. I think it is a good ploy to put the ball in play. I think that it is stupid to try and take a big swing at some of these big serves and continually miss. It's a percentage play...sure the server has the advantage but it is better to give yourself a chance to get in the point after a couple of exchanges than to lose it outright. I have heard Wawrinka criticized for doing just that...but I agree with his tactics.

I was so hoping for a fifth set. Each time that they had played each other before it had gone the distance. They are evenly matched and they play the virtual same game. It's tempting to call Robredo "Wawrinka Light" but he actually holds the head to head advantage now 6-3. A little surprising. Wawrinka did well to hold onto his seeding with a more decisive win over Robredo. Really great for the confidence at this point in the tournament.

Thanks for the thoughtful tactical comment.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8184 users online. 4 members and 8180 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X