Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One at a time...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Bottom half of the draw has Berdych-Federer semifinal written all over it. Or so I hope.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Nobody should get ahead of themselves at this point...just ask Dimitrov.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      I thought that they were both doing much the same thing on the return of serve. It seemed that they both played up a bit on the first serve and blocked with underspin and then they moved back on the second to take the big swing.

Even in the middle of the rallies it was surprising to see how far back they play at times. Wawrinka like to play way back and then he just wallops it...like a baseball swing. I guess he figures that from that far back he can swing as hard as he likes and as long as he has some topspin on the ball it cannot go long.

Interesting about the return of serves. I think it is a good ploy to put the ball in play. I think that it is stupid to try and take a big swing at some of these big serves and continually miss. It's a percentage play...sure the server has the advantage but it is better to give yourself a chance to get in the point after a couple of exchanges than to lose it outright. I have heard Wawrinka criticized for doing just that...but I agree with his tactics.

Thanks for the thoughtful tactical comment.
      Thanks for the feedback. I only saw the first set but was unusually impressed by Robredo from a tactical standpoint. I think he uses sound tactics without moving too far from his game-style. Once a player drifts from his game-style he's unlikely to win win anyway, as fundamentally resorting to a B game is desperate stuff. Tactics within game-style is the really the only way to do it. That game-styles are so one dimensional these days must, you would think, limit tactical options.

Murray has been interviewed a few times about tactics recently and for him it seems to boil down to returning whatever he can and hitting key zones and spots on the court. The spots vary depending who he's playing. Often it's about working to get the ball to a safe spot when the rally isn't going his way, in the hope he can switch things back to neutral or even go offensive. He is very cat and mouse about the whole situation of switching up and down between neutral/attack/defence...in whatever order or combination those situations come in. He really does let the game come to him and works out the dynamics as he goes along.
      Last edited by stotty; 09-02-2014, 02:41 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Nobody should get ahead of themselves at this point...just ask Dimitrov.
        Yes...I know.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Berdych vs. Thiem was a snoozer. Tberd looking better and better. Tough match against Cilic coming up but my boy is on a mission. Can he get revenge for his Wimbledon loss and defeat Cilic. Then can he play the role of evil villain and beat everyone's idol Roger Federer. He has before at Wimbledon in 2010 and US Open in 2012.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Tactically speaking...it's a battle

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            That game-styles are so one dimensional these days must, you would think, limit tactical options.

Murray has been interviewed a few times about tactics recently and for him it seems to boil down to returning whatever he can and hitting key zones and spots on the court. The spots vary depending who he's playing. Often it's about working to get the ball to a safe spot when the rally isn't going his way, in the hope he can switch things back to neutral or even go offensive. He is very cat and mouse about the whole situation of switching up and down between neutral/attack/defence...in whatever order or combination those situations come in. He really does let the game come to him and works out the dynamics as he goes along.
            That's just super...past the technique and the gizmos lies the netherlands of tennis. It's all in the tactics...the speed, placement and the spin. Tilden says to never hit a shot without clear intent...without a conscious attempt to do something specific with the ball and with a good reason.

The situation is constantly "evolving" on the court and the player that makes the necessary adjustments win. Take the Gael Monfils/Grigor Dimitrov match for instance...perhaps one of the more tactical matches we have seen in this tournament. Gael moved him here...so that he could move him over there. If he couldn't move him he gave him something that would just keep him off balance just enough to keep him from taking his optimal swing.

Since the situation is constantly evolving on the court a player must learn to handle any and all situations without "thinking" but by feeling. Intuition is a word that comes to mind. Reacting is another. This was my motivation for the drills and the tactical cues that I wrote to you about in the "Ok...let's improve a forehand" thread. We can beat the technique aspect into the ground...but that too evolves with the proper exercises and the situational training of moving up and back to the net...all points in between. A player's technique will evolve given the proper cues without the paralysis of analysis.

Everything is happening so fast these days though...it's tough to get a handle on things. But if you manage to slow things down at the right moments...you effect the opponents rhythm and balance. Technique is of course an important discussion...it is in many ways the means to the end. The end being the tactical battle.
            Last edited by don_budge; 09-02-2014, 11:14 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

An Experienced Man...the difference?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Berdych vs. Thiem was a snoozer. Tberd looking better and better. Tough match against Cilic coming up but my boy is on a mission. Can he get revenge for his Wimbledon loss and defeat Cilic. Then can he play the role of evil villain and beat everyone's idol Roger Federer. He has before at Wimbledon in 2010 and US Open in 2012.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Are you experienced...?

I didn't see the match...I was snoozing. What happened? Not much...huh. Dominic certainly couldn't out slug the big lug so he was sort of shit out of luck I suppose.

Berdych certainly looked calm and confident in his interview with Mats Wilander and Barbara Schett on Eurosport. He's is the tournament now...he's got his teeth into it. Straight sets in the round of sixteen is the best way to go into the quarters. He's playing "the sleeper" in the draw.

It's good that he appears to be wide awake.
              don_budge

Comment

The tournament within the tournament...the quarterfinals

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                I think it is interesting that you can make a good argument that the best 8 players made it to the quarterfinals on the men's side. Three of the top 4 seeds are there. Cilic beat Simon who beat Ferrer with a little help from the heat. Nishikori knocked out Raonic and Monfils knocked out Dimitrov. Nishikori and Cilic are the only members of the 25 and under club at 24 and 25; in fact, Murray and Djokovic are the next two youngest at 27. Granted, Nadal is missing, but he is also 28 years old.

I don't think you can make the same statement about the women's draw. Part of that is 2/3 vs 3/5; actually, a lot of it.

don
                They certainly were the best eight this past week. Each of these players has really won the tournament within the tournament. Each quarterfinal section was like a qualifying tournament for the real deal. This is the tournament and the match-ups have evolved into some pretty interesting scenarios. Just think...it has only just begun.
                don_budge

Comment

Round of sixteen in the Bottom Half...and then there were eight.

[17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) vs. [2] Roger Federer (SUI)
                  [6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs. Dominic Thiem (AUT)
                  [7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs. [20] Gael Monfils (FRA)
                  [14] Marin Cilic (CRO) vs. [26] Gilles Simon (FRA)

From the top...of the bottom half. The players are jockeying for position. The earlier results in the tournament translate into the players current form. Roger is looking extremely good based on his last match against a hapless opponent. Roger is the story...the rest of it is the supporting cast.

Roger Federer vs. Roberto Bautista Agut...Let's get it over with. Make it quick Roger...because your fate awaits you in the quarters. Keep doing exactly what you have been doing...never change a winning game. These are the tactics that are going to carry you through the tournament. He will have to be a bit fatalistic about things and shorten the points. It is, of course much easier to accomplish with the crack serving. Now that he is on even ground with his opposition equipment wise it all boils down to getting the quick drop which means serving edge and striking first. Playing smart defense and neutralizing by means of slicing the backhand when the situation dictates. Smart approach shots...no swinging volleys. A delicate combination of nuts and bolts and a magic wand.

Tomas Berdych vs. Dominic Thiem...Oh my goodness. It is too much to hope for. Tomas' experience is the trump card. His ability to keep the ball in play without over hitting. Berdych is the pick...but only because conventional wisdom dictates so. don_budge always bets with his heart...which is why he is such a pathetic loser at times. It's Dominator Time.

Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils...Talk about polar opposites. The studied and contrived Dimitrov and the loosey goosey Monfils. Dimitrov is playing it by the book...following in HIS footsteps while Monfils is listening to a drummer all of his own. Monfils is a loose cannon let's face it. But can he sustain it against a consistently hardening opponent as Dimitrov. I don't believe that he can. It's a matter of substance over the wild and lesser disciplined. Dimitrov has the revenge factor going for him...Monfils beat him at the 2011 U. S. Open in straight sets. He is obviously aiming to set the record straight.

Marin Cilic vs. Gilles Simon...I was looking at Marin as the sleeper in the draw until I looked up the head to head for these two. Simon by a surprising 4-0 with last match a convincing 5-setter at the 2014 Australian Open where Simon took Cilic going away. Go figure...all of their matches have gone the distance yet Simon wins every time. Both players are in very good form and it should be a very competitive match. There is a first time for everything...but not every time obviously. Let's hope that they go the distance again and the best man wins.

Federer and Berdych appear to be the favorites in their matches. Infinitely more dynamic entertainment appeal than in the top half. A great mix of the establishment players and the New Kids on the Block. It's strange how this tournament has "evolved" because at the initial glance it appeared that the top half was stronger...now I am not so certain. Four very potentially entertaining matches in store for this evening. Federer speaks for himself...he an anybody. Berdych and Thiem is going to be the most anticipated for me. Dimitrov and Monfils is downright compelling on paper if it materializes. The same might even be said for Cilic and Simon.

[2] Roger Federer (SUI) d. [17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) 64 63 62
                  [6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) d. Dominic Thiem (AUT) 61 62 64
                  [20] Gael Monfils (FRA) d. [7] Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 75 76(6) 75
                  [14] Marin Cilic (CRO) d. [26] Gilles Simon (FRA) 57 76(3) 64 36 63

Roger Federer vs. Roberto Bautista Agut...was that quick enough for you. Curiously it was sort of a countdown...6-4, 6-3, 6-2. He's getting betterer...ramping it up. Just in time. I didn't see any of the match...it's late here in Europe. But I suspect that it was good...really good. Are the courts playing quicker this year...especially at night? It may be a different game during the day.

Tomas Berdych vs. Dominic Thiem...Tomas proved himself to be the "Better Man".

More experienced. Your thiem is coming...Dominic.

Gael Monfils vs. Grigor Dimitrov...It proved to be compelling alright...on paper and in reality. Monfils did precisely what Stotty was quoting Andy Murray about in his tactical discussion. It was a brilliantly played match tactically speaking. Grigor was playing some really good tennis and he was primed for this occasion but Monfils took the air out of the game at precisely the right moments and controlled the tempo of the points and the match. Grigor certainly was miffed about the whole thing...he got out of there in a big hurry.

Monfils appeared to be imploding over some incident in the second set and I missed what it was exactly. Does anybody know?

Edit...I answered my own question. Again.

Washington, D.C. news, weather, traffic and sports from FOX 5, serving the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. Watch breaking news live or see the latest videos from programs like Good Day DC.

Marin Cilic vs. Gilles Simon...Simon received treatment on his back in the first set then miraculously came back to win it. From there on out it appears to have been a "compelling" match. Once again they went the distance..this time with a different outcome. A first time. A maiden voyage. I watched just a bit of it...too mesmerized by the resurgent Monfils. Marin is "the sleeper".
                  Last edited by don_budge; 09-03-2014, 02:02 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge

Comment

The Racquet...it's what it is all about

[2] Roger Federer (SUI) d. [17] Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) 64 63 62

Roger Federer vs. Roberto Bautista Agut...was that quick enough for you. Curiously it was sort of a countdown...6-4, 6-3, 6-2. He's getting betterer...ramping it up. Just in time. I didn't see any of the match...it's late here in Europe. But I suspect that it was good...really good. Are the courts playing quicker this year...especially at night? It may be a different game during the day.

In the Beginning...He created a game. It was good. He called it sphairistikè...which means playing with balls. The commandment was called "tennis etiquette" which meant that thou shall not take unfair advantage of your opponent. He gave the game a racquet...it was made of wood. The game was designed to evolve...like a tree growing through the years. Slowly...one ring at a time. Evolution vs. Engineering.

Roger Federer is the last remaining link to classic tennis...even though he does not play classic tennis by definition. But his stand here at the 2014 U. S. Open is all about "the game". Thirty years after the year...1984. The first year that "modern tennis" was officially ushered in at the U. S. Open. The commercials on CBS that year were all of the first Apples, the McIntosh, the IBM etc...computers. Prince racquet also had a commercial... starring Nick Bolletieri, Kent Carlsson and Eric Korita. Pawns for the machine. Useful idiots.

This tournament is about the Racquet of Roger Federer. The "Once and Future King" of tennis has struggled the last few years with opponents with inferior acumen for the game of sphairistikè...as it was known in the beginning. Somehow he seems to have drawn himself to even par with the rest of the field. It is only about the racquet...yet it is also about how he may have been "cheating himself" that last several years when his skills are marginally in decline and he was playing with inferior equipment at the same time. Can you see the "tennis etiquette" angle? Be honest...with yourself.

There is a deep lesson here to be learned. Let's just see how the rest of this thing pans out. Right now...he seems to be capitalizing on the whole shebang...the racquet, the situation, his experience, skills from his past. He has proved the point and the rest of it is icing on the cake. Roger is playing for more than this title...he is playing to prove that I am right. For once and for all. He is playing for "the Game".

The game is bigger than us all. Bigger than anyone one of us. Bigger than Roger. Bigger than all of us put together. It was a gift from God...it's 2014 now. Thirty years hence. Take note...remember. Don't forget. I told you so!
                    Last edited by don_budge; 09-02-2014, 11:29 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

The New Draw Sheet...Every Picture Tells a Story

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) vs. [8] Andy Murray (GBR)
                      [3] Stan Wawrinka (SUI) vs. [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN)
                      [6] Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs. [14] Marin Cilic (CRO)
                      [2] Roger Federer (SUI) vs. [20] Gael Monfils (FRA)

Ok...let's simplify things. KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. LCD...Lowest Common Denominator reduced to it's simplest terms. There you have it. The quarterfinals, the tournament within the tournament. Let the games begin.

Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray...What a wonderful quarterfinal. Just perfect that these two Jokers are slugging it out in the round of eight. Thereby insuring that one of them will not advance therefore making the tournament infinitely more interesting by making room for new faces. Thank God that Fafa Nadal is MIA as well. What makes the top four in tennis better than the rest? A number of factors but two of the determing factors are movement and tactics...this is how you separate yourself from the herd. Here you have the arguably best "mover" in the game in Djokovic versus one of the better tactical players in Murray. The best part of this match...I already said it...one of them will be going home. Good by Andy?

Stanislas Wawrinka vs. Kei Nishikori..."The Swiss Knife" against "The Samurai Kid" have never played each other. How appropriate...timing is everything. This should be a treat as West meets East in a contrast of style and culture. It has all the makings for some compelling drama and the longer the match goes on the more compelling. Wawrinka played really strong in taking down Tommy Robredo who has been somewhat of a thorn in his side...so he is really on top of his game. And quietly so...without a lot of fanfare. A bit reticent...it is so like him. Stan the Man, what a nice fellow. Kei? What a number he did on Milos Raonic. Took his legs right out from under him and took the lumbering Canadian down by death of a thousand cuts until there was nothing left in the end. A couple of swashbucklers? Just a great quarterfinal match-up...almost as good as the one above it.

Tomas Berdych vs. Marin Cilic...Somehow this tournament just came down to the heart of the matter. Another compelling match on paper...it is only too bad that neither of these two has any stomach for the net. Both big strong guys firmly anchored to the baseline with two handed backhands. If I had my way they both would drop that second hand and play the whole darn court. Be that as it may this is anybodies match with the advantage to Berdych...he has friends in high places. But Marin has played the sleeper role to perfection thus far and he has a loose cannon in his corner for a coach. First he has to believe that he can get it done and perhaps his loss to Djokovic at Wimbledon will serve him in good stead. Berdych really is riding with a lot of confidence...perhaps more than I have ever seen in him. He moves around quietly...but he is swinging a big stick. This match just might be watchable...but that isn't certain.

Roger Federer vs. Gael Monfils...Sheer wonder of a match-up. The contrast...it's the irony in life that keeps it interesting. Again it's loosey goosey against the tried and true. Roger paid close attention to what happened to his clone and he is duly impressed. Nobody is a quicker than a cat out of the jungle and that is precisely what Gael is. A big cat. He is primal. He is stoned...immaculate. But leave it to Roger to put it in his own words...his own way...just listen to what he has to say.

"[After my win in Cincinnati] I know exactly how I need to play him," Federer told ESPN of the looming Monfils clash. It's going to be more or less the same conditions. "It's very clear cut in my opinion. I know I'll be coming in; he knows he'll be defending. He'll be wanting to serve well and play big as well. So we both know what to expect going in."

He is making it clear to Monfils...he has his number. He is going to attack and Monfils is going to have to defend. He cannot be any clearer or decisive than that. Monfils though is licking his chops like a cat looking at a bird. True that bird can fly...but so can Monfils. Is he smart or is he just instinctual? It may pay off for him to be not so smart and just react to the drummer in his head. This is the fourth of four great compelling match-ups. Another contrast in each match to light up the New York night.

It's all about Roger's racquet switch this year. Every match he wins he wins for the game of tennis. It's always the same with him and the game of modern tennis. As he goes...so goes the game. The rest of the cast are only supporting characters. It wouldn't surprise me if they speeded up the courts with the sole purpose of giving him another chance to contend. Modern tennis knows who is buttering the bread. The powers that be certainly know. It is Roger...and he knows it too.

Let the tournament begin. Boy that foreplay sure was nice and juicy wasn't it? By definition it makes the main course that much more exciting.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 09-03-2014, 12:21 AM.
                      don_budge

Comment

Clutch and Grab...One Hit Wonder: Adios from the 2014 U. S. Open Championships

Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray...What a wonderful quarterfinal. Just perfect that these two Jokers are slugging it out in the round of eight. Thereby insuring that one of them will not advance therefore making the tournament infinitely more interesting by making room for new faces. Thank God that Fafa Nadal is MIA as well. What makes the top four in tennis better than the rest? A number of factors but two of the determing factors are movement and tactics...this is how you separate yourself from the herd. Here you have the arguably best "mover" in the game in Djokovic versus one of the better tactical players in Murray. The best part of this match...I already said it...one of them will be going home. Good by Andy?

Stanislas Wawrinka vs. Kei Nishikori..."The Swiss Knife" against "The Samurai Kid" have never played each other. How appropriate...timing is everything. This should be a treat as West meets East in a contrast of style and culture. It has all the makings for some compelling drama and the longer the match goes on the more compelling. Wawrinka played really strong in taking down Tommy Robredo who has been somewhat of a thorn in his side...so he is really on top of his game. And quietly so...without a lot of fanfare. A bit reticent...it is so like him. Stan the Man, what a nice fellow. Kei? What a number he did on Milos Raonic. Took his legs right out from under him and took the lumbering Canadian down by death of a thousand cuts until there was nothing left in the end. A couple of swashbucklers? Just a great quarterfinal match-up...almost as good as the one above it.

[1] Novak Djokovic (SRB) d. [8] Andy Murray (GBR) 76(1) 67(1) 62 64
                        [10] Kei Nishikori (JPN) d. [3] Stan Wawrinka (SUI) 36 75 76(7) 67(5) 64

Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray...Once he started clutching, grabbing and grimacing it was all over but the crying which I am certain continued on into the interviews even though he put up a "brave front" that everyone with half a brain could see through. Andy is really a head case.

Stanislas Wawrinka vs. Kei Nishikori...Just like old Tony Trabert commented in the 1980 U. S. Open Championships final between the great John McEnroe and the great Bjorn Borg..."you can see it in the eyes". Kei Nishikori's eyes were firmly fixed on the target between the shoulder blades of the 2014 Australian Open Champion. He didn't seemed to be worried one little bit when he dropped the first set. I thought that he would win...but I didn't stick around to see it. The endless baseline rallies were...endless. Sorry...nothing stellar about the Nishikori net play or tactics in general to separate him from the herd. Wawrinka has had his share of problems living up to his Australian triumph. He has shown that he clearly isn't up for it. He will go down in history as a one hit wonder.

Neither match lived up to it's billing.
                        don_budge

Comment

The Balance...

The fate of tennis hangs in the balance with that of Roger Federer.
                          don_budge

Comment

Tomas Berdych down...

Berdych is down two sets to one. He cannot serve any worse. I think that Barbara Schett jinxed him with a really stupid interview. I think Mats Wilander should dump this horsey mouth hag.

Annabelle Croft was definitly more attractive and smarter too. Barbara Schett has done nothing but fumble every single interview I have seen. She was teasing Berdych about something he posted on social media...he had his H&M outfit laid out on his bed and she said it was almost something that a woman would do.

What a sexist pig. Women can make a remark like that but if a man does he is a chauvinist pig. Berdych didn't know what to say...he said maybe next time he would lay them on the floor. He was so obviously annoyed...as I was.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM.
                            don_budge

Comment

Berdych is down two sets to one. He cannot serve any worse. I think that Barbara Schett jinxed him with a really stupid interview. I think Mats Wilander should dump this horsey mouth hag.

Annabelle Croft was definitly more attractive and smarter too. Barbara Schett has done nothing but fumble every single interview I have seen. She was teasing Berdych about something he posted on social media...he had his H&M outfit laid out on his bed and she said it was almost something that a woman would do.

What a sexist pig. Women can make a remark like that but if a man does he is a chauvinist pig. Berdych didn't know what to say...he said maybe next time he would lay them on the floor. He was so obviously annoyed...as I was.
                              Look on the bright side. Short of a stella performance from Monfils, Roger will be in the final if Birdy loses. Cilic has never beaten Federer.

I'm on your side with Annabelle Croft. She is absolutely lovely...and nice with it.
                              Stotty

Comment

"What was the game plan", asked Darren Cahill.

"Well, we both hit big....I returned well...I used the conditions better." was I think the gist of the reply from Cilic.

So no tactics really...just hit big. Makes you wonder whether once players are hitting with such incredible velocity that the range of tactics becomes more limited.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7930 users online. 3 members and 7927 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X