No announcement yet.

Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the 1918 Ford model T was the best car ever. Would have blown away the formula one cars! Cornered better, handled better, had better acceleration, better driver protection, gas mileage.

Technology whiners are the worst little bitches. Does anyone think that the drivers/players of old would not have wanted the modern tech for their own advancement?

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
      And the 1918 Ford model T was the best car ever. Would have blown away the formula one cars! Cornered better, handled better, had better acceleration, better driver protection, gas mileage.

Technology whiners are the worst little bitches. Does anyone think that the drivers/players of old would not have wanted the modern tech for their own advancement?
      LOL - Geoff, you crack me (in a good way). Little bitches.

Comment

• Whiney Bitches…according to GeoffWilliams and hockeyscout

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
        And the 1918 Ford model T was the best car ever. Would have blown away the formula one cars! Cornered better, handled better, had better acceleration, better driver protection, gas mileage.

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
        LOL - Geoff, you crack me (in a good way). Little bitches.
        Low brow types like and actually prefer to resort to name calling when they have exhausted their limited ability to reason or present logical arguments. I resist the temptation to follow suit or even resort to referring to stupidity or moron like arguments. It figures the two of you have found something to mutually slobber over each other about. You do it all the time. One says something and the other is right there lapping up the vomit. It's like a knee-jerk reaction. "You crack me"…indeed. What is that? Some sort of Freudian slip? Whatever.

Does anyone think that the players of old would not have wanted the modern technology for their own advancement? Well…inside of every human being is a vast reservoir of greed and longing to advance their own interests. In this regard you are only infatuated with deluding yourself about your own ability. It gives you that warm superior feeling when using the modern technology…your obvious lack of respect for the "old" game is as obvious as your own lack of talent. Such superior feelings it must cultivate in your maligned heart. But you're not alone…you are in line with the herd. It's only human nature. Whiney little bitches.

The greatest technological improvements that the human race has made are in inventing ways to kill each other or cause the greatest sadness possible. There is your infatuation with technology. It will end up destroying everything in the end. At least it threatens to. It did destroy the game of tennis and golf…much as Mad Mac O'Grady says explicitly. As I have said so explicitly. I won't make any bones about it.

The human race as a whole doesn't show much initiative to do the heroic or to stand their ground on principle…do they? The reason? It interferes with their own greedy self interest. It's easier to go along with the crowd of morons and idiots. It's herd mentality.

John McEnroe stood on the cusp of two eras and to his great credit he hung out to the very last. He is the only player ever to rule both sides of the tennis world as the number one player in both worlds…classic and modern. Here is what he had to say and he only voiced what the greatest tennis players in the world felt at the time.

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        From the thread entitled..."John McEnroe versus Bjorn Borg...1980 U. S. Open Finals

ART...has left the stadium. Only the Great John McEnroe would have the balls to suggest something so outlandish as to do the right thing. The right thing to do by THE GAME.

From John McEnroe's most excellent autobiography..."Serious"...his top ten recommendations for improving tennis in the 21st Century:

"A return to wooden racquets would be a huge improvement for professional tennis. The biggest change in the game in the last twenty five years...the replacement of wood by graphite...has been a bad one. I happen to think that wooden racquets are beautiful aesthetically and purer for the game.

Look at baseball. Kids start with aluminum bats in little league, then move on to Kevlar or whatever in college and then...and only then...if they make it to the majors do they get to use those beautiful wooden bats that require greater expertise for success.

Why not do the same thing in tennis? I think that it looks great to have a little wand in your hand, instead of some ultra thick club big enough to kill somebody with. Wood...to me...has glamour. You need strategy and technique. Tennis, these days, is sadly lacking in all these things.

It's all (as David Bowie says) wham, bam, thank you ma'am." ...the great John McEnroe.

Seconded by the not so great...don_budge.
        Does anyone think that the players of old would not have wanted the modern technology for their own advancement? Beautifully and eloquently put. No name calling. No put downs. Just honest heart felt words. I find it touching. John McEnroe at his finest.

Whiney bitches are fat nobodies that hide in crowds making hideous noises at professionals trying to concentrate on their craft. You admitted such behavior yourself. You admitted it while applauding yourself as if you had accomplished some major humanitarian feat. What did you describe the noise as…a howling monkey. That figures. We don't even have to address hockey etiquette or the behavior of the players or audiences. It speaks for itself…and does so loudly and unashamedly.

More on the connecting dots about Mac O'Grady when the peanut gallery gets the mischief out of their systems.
        Last edited by don_budge; 07-03-2015, 11:44 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• I was laughing at Geoff's comments. They were funny. I was not laughing at you, don_budge. I apologize. It may have been inadvertently insensitive of me.

I'd certainly never question anything Mr. Williams has to say about tennis. He think outside of the box. Geoff is the type of person the USTA needs more of in the coaching ranks. I like people around me who are perfectionists, and Geoff is about as thorough as they come. His message is very consistent, and to the point. I never work with a guy, be-friend or hire anyone, that I would not want as a son-in-law, it is my number one rule of business, sports, coaching, investments and family.

Anyways, I have never met Geoff, but he comes across as a man's, man.

Now lets move on ...

Lets face it, the classic game is dead, and the "modern" game as we know will be as well soon, and it will be replaced by a technically superior brand of Armageddon tennis.

The deal in tennis (in my opinion) is the science of movement in the sport of tennis hasn't yet caught up to the brilliant advances in equipment, however, when it does watch out! It'll be a whole new game. Their are a lot of top end players who are not great movers (Tsonga and Raonic), and a lot of other talents who are quick, but lack proper field speed and control needed to excel consistently day in and day out. That will change.

In tennis, the athletic ability hasn't caught up to the equipment (yet). But, it will, and, when it does it will be a whole new game. Its inevitable. . I think between the years of 2021 to 2030 you'll see big 6'6 - 7'0" men (and woman) who can move, serve, volley and move like NBA players. Its a matter of time. Right now, no one is that big, and of that caliber in the world of tennis, but soon a new wave will arrive. I firmly believe tennis is on the brink of a revolution.

For you don_budge it will be the end of the world ... classic gone, modern tennis going to the way of the dinosaur, and the next (new) Armageddon style of game. I guess the name Armageddon fits perfectly doesn't it?

For you, well, you won't like it, however, for the rest of the world tennis will pretty exciting with big slam dunk serves, swinging drive volleys, flying body shots galore and short rallies. Now, if the power that be could just make the sport a bit more exciting, say like the WWF, cheerleaders, horns, rowdier fans, or something more like college football that would just be great wouldn't it?

Somewhere in the world right now some lucky kid has beautiful rackets with powerful strings, and they are learning to play the game in a whole new way where they can innovate and do things with a racket no one thought was possible EVER. And, if they truly understand new age technique, and have the disciplined "feel" and "respect" for the power of their equipment, and know how to respectfully use this new "hunting" equipment properly, they'll be deadly, dangerous players, who'll play a game of space age projectile bombing "shock - awe target practice."

I was watching a Chris Everett coaching video from the 1980's the other day with my daughter. She was watching it, and saying, "My god, this is crazy." 1980's tennis had a lot of myths, and the majority of coaches we're wrong about everything, unfortunately, and this site exposed a lot of those myths.

Modern tennis, ATP 3, science, John's site ... it really is incredible how much things have advanced. I am sure Chrissy looks bad on her 1980's training habits, and wonders, how good could I have been if I knew then what I know now.

So, don_budge, times, they are a changing (and for the better).

Come gather 'round people
          Wherever you roam
          And admit that the waters
          Around you have grown
          And accept it that soon
          You'll be drenched to the bone
          If your time to you
          Is worth savin'
          Then you better start swimmin'
          Or you'll sink like a stone
          For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
          Who prophesize with your pen
          And keep your eyes wide
          The chance won't come again
          And don't speak too soon
          For the wheel's still in spin
          And there's no tellin' who
          That it's namin'
          For the loser now
          Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
          Please heed the call
          Don't stand in the doorway
          Don't block up the hall
          For he that gets hurt
          Will be he who has stalled
          There's a battle outside
          And it is ragin'
          It'll soon shake your windows
          And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
          Throughout the land
          And don't criticize
          What you can't understand
          Your sons and your daughters
          Are beyond your command
          Your old road is
          Rapidly agin'
          Please get out of the new one
          If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
          The curse it is cast
          The slow one now
          Will later be fast
          As the present now
          Will later be past
          The order is
          Rapidly fadin'
          And the first one now
          Will later be last

BTW, I am kidding of course about the WWF, cheerleaders and horns.
          Last edited by hockeyscout; 07-05-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• The Times Have Changed…by hockeyscout

For you don_budge it will be the end of the world ... classic gone, modern tennis going to the way of the dinosaur, and the next (new) Armageddon style of game. I guess the name Armageddon fits perfectly doesn't it?

So, don_budge, times, they are a changing (and for the better).

Come gather 'round people
            Wherever you roam
            And admit that the waters
            Around you have grown
            And accept it that soon
            You'll be drenched to the bone
            If your time to you
            Is worth savin'
            Then you better start swimmin'
            Or you'll sink like a stone

Come writers and critics
            Who prophesize with your pen
            And keep your eyes wide
            The chance won't come again
            And don't speak too soon
            For the wheel's still in spin
            And there's no tellin' who
            That it's namin'
            For the loser now
            Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
            Please heed the call
            Don't stand in the doorway
            Don't block up the hall
            For he that gets hurt
            Will be he who has stalled
            There's a battle outside
            And it is ragin'
            It'll soon shake your windows
            And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
            Throughout the land
            And don't criticize
            What you can't understand
            Your sons and your daughters
            Are beyond your command
            Your old road is
            Rapidly agin'
            Please get out of the new one
            If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
            The curse it is cast
            The slow one now
            Will later be fast
            As the present now
            Will later be past
            The order is
            Rapidly fadin'
            And the first one now
            Will later be last

BTW, I am kidding of course about the WWF, cheerleaders and horns.
            I understand you hockeyscout. Everything you say is crystal clear to me. It doesn't matter to me if I like it or not. That is not the point…and you know it. You understand me too. I'm not kidding and you aren't either. Armageddon is a strong word but not for someone like you. It doesn't scare me…I know who butters my bread.

You are like one of the four horseman…of the Apocalypse. Conquest, War, Famine and Death. Not an actual one of the four…but you can be connected by anyone that can connect the dots. This I recognized for a long time with your references and reverence to death…and Satan. Your instinct is to attack me because I am on the other side. This has nothing to do with big racquets. But you are right again…this is the end of the line for me. I won't be around to participate in "your game". You can have it…I conceded that a long time ago. I am only a messenger.

As for your little evil song…"the times they are a-changin'". It's your New World Order and it began a long time ago. Your little ditty is Satan's call to action. There is nothing new under the sun….the Bible tells me so. You are not some great prophet…you are a tiny little cog in a very big and very evil machine that is rapidly destroying this planet.

You gloat…you swagger. You threaten and bully. You twist words…and the truth. But your agenda is an empty one and there is no 2020 or 2030. There is only now and you have swung mightily…and missed. You have missed the point. You and your minions.

Tennis is such small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. It is only a tiny metaphor of the much larger and much sicker picture. The fact that you think things are getting better is a surefire sign of just exactly how far from the truth you represent.
            Last edited by don_budge; 07-04-2015, 11:11 PM. Reason: for Christ's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

• Ecclesiastes 1:9

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              There is nothing new under the sun ... the Bible tells me so.
              Ecclesiastes 1:9 - ah, interesting, so you're into the Bible. Well, Corinthians 5:17 states (the old things passed away; behold, new things have come) and Isaiah 43:19 states (behold, I will do something new). Anyways, I do not want to engage you in bible talk on a tennis message board as that would be bat shit crazy.

Minions? Like the movie?

Comment

• Bat Sht and Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...

Anyways, I do not want to engage you in bible talk on a tennis message board as that would be bat shit crazy.

Minions? Like the movie?
                Right up your alley. Minions? Like the movie?

Minions…GeoffWilliams. Gibberish.

This thread is entitled "Thoughts about Tennis Tradition…". Bible talk? You are the one advocating "Armageddon Tennis". You invoked that word. You put it in bold letters. To emphasis the point. It's obvious what side you represent…there are only two. It doesn't take a Bible to understand that. I'm making the sign of the cross on you just in case.

Obviously you are anti-tradition. So why post here? To disrupt? To mock? To provoke? To destroy? To prove something? Looking for trouble? Hockey style provocation where eventually the combatants drop the gloves and slug it out? This is a tennis forum. Bat shit is right up your alley.

Go now…you are nothing to me. But keep posting. It's amusing…the two of you. Like a duet. A very strange duet. Still waiting on that Tsonga forehand fix. You know…the one where you show us all the way.
                Last edited by don_budge; 07-04-2015, 11:52 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

• It appears you are anti-progress.

I call it Armageddon Tennis because I feel it will destroy the modern and classic paradigms of how tennis is played. And, it happens every 10 - 20 years, and I can really see a shift moving forward even if you do not believe it will happen.

Tennis is now developing into an arms race, and the player who accumulates the best all-around weapon's will have a tactical superiority, and blow the classic, and modern paradigms out of the water.

I will tell you what, if I was a top 15 - 19 year old player right now and performing at a world class level, I'd sign Geoff Williams to a contract so quickly, budget $100,000 a year for his salary and expenses, set him up with a top end shop and have him agree not to work for any player in the world. A guy like him would save so much wear and tear on an athlete, and help them achieve that 1% extra advantage that is a real separator. Hockey players really respect their equipment people, as you're worthless if you don't have the best piece of weaponry in your hands that'll maximize your performance. Tennis players really don't care to much about their rackets, and the stuff I see on store shelfs is real crap.

I truly value what he has to say on equipment that much, and it's guys like him are worth their weight in gold.
                  Last edited by hockeyscout; 07-05-2015, 03:47 AM.

Comment

• And minions, I do like the movie. Its funny. Just like you.

Hold on my brother don't give up
                    Hold on my sister just look up
                    There is a master plan in store for you
                    If you just make it through
                    God's gonna really blow your mind
                    He's gonna mak it worth your time
                    For all of the trouble you've been through
                    The best seems double just for you

[Chorus:]
                    The best
                    Is yet
                    To come
                    The best
                    Is yet
                    To come
                    The best is yet to come

[Verse 2:]
                    Hold on my brother don't give up
                    Hold on my sister just look up
                    There is a master plan in store for you
                    If you just make it through
                    God's gonna really blow your mind
                    He's gonna make it worth your time
                    For all of the trouble you've been through
                    The best is just for you

Today is the first day of the best days of your life [x4]

[Vamp:]
                    You ain't seen nothin
                    You ain't seen nothin yet
                    Last edited by hockeyscout; 07-05-2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• Nothing in the world says tennis has to move ever forwards or become ever better. Life doesn't know the meaning of such a theory...doesn't have a clue. What happens, happens.

In some ways tennis has gone backwards, while in other ways it has gone forwards. Equipment has been the main game-changer. I think this at least is universally accepted. You only have limited time to make a world-class tennis player. It stands to reason you cannot work on every conceivable theory that might or might not make a better tennis player.

Already we've seen what happens when certain aspects of the game, either through court surface or coaching, or both, become too specialised: we get one-dimensional tennis. We get advancement that is detrimental.

I really like this thread. It has a definite place of the forum. It's a thread that can be bounced back in to life when anyone has any meaningful thoughts about tennis tradition. I think John summed things up nicely once when he said it's "readers' choice". No need for others to put the boot in just because the content doesn't float their boat. Just go and read another thread or start you own. That's the bottomline with just about any thread come to that.

To me, this is a thread for meaningful, intelligent thoughts on tennis. The owner tends it like a garden and we should respect it so.
                      Last edited by stotty; 07-05-2015, 04:48 AM.
                      Stotty

Comment

• James Fenimore Cooper…Individuality

“All greatness of character is dependent on individuality. The man who has no other existence than that which he partakes in common with all around him, will never have any other than an existence of mediocrity.”

don_budge

Comment

• Tennis tradition bitches go hand in hand with tennis technology bitches.

Serena got away with giant red under wear at Wimbledon, while fed got fined for a tiny red Nike swoosh. Where was the bitching then?

Fed didn't lose because he has a one handed back hand. He lost because his back hand sucked worse than in any previous match and he choked out from nerves: fh ues, and missed firsts on big points.

He will never win another slam with that back hand. Hey, fed, you better learn to keep your hitting foot grounded and forwards, not side ways, like Wawrinka does or die out. Blocking weakly back to the center of the court won't work with any top player in any big match ever again. Pretty cowardly of him not to fix something so badly in need of fixing, as if he can run around anything at all times and not have to face a Nadal or a Dj.
                          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-14-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• Henry David Thoreau…Individuality

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.”

don_budge

Comment

• Ralph Waldo Emerson…Individuality

“They [conformists] think society wiser than their soul, and know not that one soul, and their soul, is wiser than the whole world…Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members….Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist…. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.”

don_budge

Comment

• If…Rudyard Kipling (Individuality)

If…Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
                                Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
                                If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
                                But make allowance for their doubting too;
                                If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
                                Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
                                Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
                                And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
                                If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
                                If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
                                And treat those two impostors just the same;
                                If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
                                Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
                                Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
                                And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
                                And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
                                And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;
                                If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
                                To serve your turn long after they are gone,
                                And so hold on when there is nothing in you
                                Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
                                Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
                                If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
                                If all men count with you, but none too much;
                                If you can fill the unforgiving minute
                                With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
                                Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
                                And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2714 users online. 7 members and 2707 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X