Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exploring 'Super Coaching' - Any Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you mean the animations in the articles, I edit those to highlight specific stroke aspects. But all the Fed footage in the articles is in the high speed archive from the ready position forward.

Comment

Latest Slice Backhand Video

I took this footage today, it's not perfect, I'm sure you will all tell me that.

There are a few things I would like to make adjustments to, one being more use of her left arm, but she does use it more when the shot is a little tougher or she is hitting it harder.

I will also post a video where she is doing different things with the shot but until then I hope you see the improvements in her slice.

Anyway, here is the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3thDc150Fo

Thanks

Tom

Full access personalized coaching with Tom Allsopp

Comment

The Flamingo...and Mac the Knife.

Ah ha...you are teaching the Flamingo method of hitting a one hand slice backhand.

Good approach. First of all you will get her weight on her front foot which is vitally important in hitting a backhand, particularly a one hand. Secondly, she will remain more sideways as any unwieldy moves past the point of balance will render her earth bound. Good drill.

Her racquet work looks more noticeably McEnroeesque which is another step in the right direction. Her stroking of the ball appears to be much more consistent which is a product of reducing the length of the motion and the better balance...therefore less room for deviation in any given swing. What's more is the angle of her stroke gives her much more versatility in her shot selection.

So we have "The Flamingo" coupled with "Mac the Knife". What an interesting solution/approach...and well thought out too! Control is ultimately the "Means to the End". Thanks for sharing.

My question is...where tactically is she aiming in match play? I am a big believer in combinations...like boxing. Deep to the two hand backhand then short and low to the strong gripped forehand. Short to the two hand backhand then deep into the forehand corner. The permutations are mind boggling. Death by a thousand cuts...exploit your opponents weaknesses. It's a wonderful thing to develop this stroke for any aspiring tennis player. This is a most versatile weapon and the tactics are just as important as the technique, as you well know...Tommy.
        Last edited by don_budge; 12-01-2011, 01:04 AM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

McEnroe, Coaching, Tactics, and Cups of Tea

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          Ah ha...you are teaching the Flamingo method of hitting a one hand slice backhand.

Good approach. First of all you will get her weight on her front foot which is vitally important in hitting a backhand, particularly a one hand. Secondly, she will remain more sideways as any unwieldy moves past the point of balance will render her earth bound. Good drill.

Her racquet work looks more noticeably McEnroeesque which is another step in the right direction. Her stroking of the ball appears to be much more consistent which is a product of reducing the length of the motion and the better balance...therefore less room for deviation in any given swing. What's more is the angle of her stroke gives her much more versatility in her shot selection.

So we have "The Flamingo" coupled with "Mac the Knife". What an interesting solution/approach...and well thought out too! Control is ultimately the "Means to the End". Thanks for sharing.

My question is...where tactically is she aiming in match play? I am a big believer in combinations...like boxing. Deep to the two hand backhand then short and low to the strong gripped forehand. Short to the two hand backhand then deep into the forehand corner. The permutations are mind boggling. Death by a thousand cuts...exploit your opponents weaknesses. It's a wonderful thing to develop this stroke for any aspiring tennis player. This is a most versatile weapon and the tactics are just as important as the technique, as you well know...Tommy.
          Hey Don, thanks for your positive response. I have never heard of the "Flamingo" slice but I'll take it, and I wasn't thinking about McEnroe but now you mention it it does look like it, especially this one; http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...LevelRear2.mov

she had a serious problem of dropping the racket head below her hands on the approach to the ball, she has improved but it is not perfect and not as good as Johnny Mac's. I had her taking the racket back with a completely straight arm to stop that happening because you can't drop the racket head without a bent arm, I think it helped a little.

As you can imagine, coaching a young (small) girl to hit a one handed backhand and make it work in matches is difficult, so although we worked on her slice a little, a lot of time has been put in to mastering the topspin, and even though hitting a head high ball would one day be easier with a slice I encouraged her to hit topspin knowing that is the shot that is toughest to master, and a high slice will one day be a piece of cake. If I went around calling every coach terrible when one of their pupils hit a particular stroke badly I guarantee there would be ZERO good coaches in the world.

As for tactics, here are my favorites:

1. Dropshots, but not always a traditional dropshot, rather some low cross-court slice where if your opponent gets to it they are not in a great position and often don't know what to do. They have to run into an area of the court (backhand sideline around the service line) and decide whether to run back to the baseline or come to the net. If they go back you can catch them with a deep shot or if they come to the net it is not on their terms and who wants to be at the net on their opponents terms? Especially when 99% of people can't volley these days.

I love the dropshot but its a one a game kinda shot, on a good day, and if it is not quite executed right they can hit it by you. The low slice can be used almost every point against most players, especially females, as long as you keep it low. It also helps if you have speed to cover what you opponent will do next. Sharapova can't really use this shot because she needs to attack the ball every shot so the next shot comes back to her and she doesn't have to move. A cat and mouse kind of game would not work for someone like her.

2. Slice down the line to the forehand, if they go down the line you hit a topspin cross-court or maybe a short cross-court slice. If they go cross-court you look to take that forehand early down the line (sometimes back cross-court). If you hit it clean down the line and you sense they are going to be stretched then get to the net. This is my cup of tea!

3. Also a deep slice changes the pace and slow things down. When I am playing big hitters and feel like I am rushed, a good slice always brings the pace of the rally down 20% at least. I'd have the match played in slow motion if I could. This also allows the player more time to step around their backhand to hit forehands and control the point. Not personally my cup of tea but I encourage juniors to do it.

Cheers

Tom Allsopp

Comment

Looks a lot better. She's repeating the shot over and over, too. And, yes, it has a McEnroe look to it...lowish take back...very open racket face...nice early take back...all very McEnroe.

Watching the clip, she seems to have nice feel? The ball kinda "sits" on the strings before it leaves...a good sign.

Comparing her to McEnroe, his take back is soooo simple, all Emira has to do is take the racket more directly back and stop jutting that elbow out before she commences the backswing and it will be a female carbon copy.

So impressed with your work, Tom
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              Looks a lot better. She's repeating the shot over and over, too. And, yes, it has a McEnroe look to it...lowish take back...very open racket face...nice early take back...all very McEnroe.

Watching the clip, she seems to have nice feel? The ball kinda "sits" on the strings before it leaves...a good sign.

Comparing her to McEnroe, his take back is soooo simple, all Emira has to do is take the racket more directly back and stop jutting that elbow out before she commences the backswing and it will be a female carbon copy.

So impressed with your work, Tom
              Thanks a lot mate,

I think you are right, the elbow is a little busy. As I previously said, I had her taking the racket back with a straight arm so that she could just come through with the racket and not drop the head, but thats when it was a total mess. I think she is at the stage where she can just focus on not moving it too much.... Mac Style. Thanks!

She has always had great feel for the dropshot even when the technique was bad so hopefully it will get even better now.

I don't want to just self promote but I wrote an article titled "How John McEnroe Developed The Best Hands In Tennis" IT'S JUST A THEORY PEOPLE! Here is the link... http://tpatennis.net/how-john-mcenro...nds-in-tennis/

I might be wrong but I think these ideas; 'super coaching' and all (which isn't my brainchild) is a lot better than feeding balls and having kids smack it as hard as the can with bad technique.

Hope you like it. Thanks for you last positive response and advice.

Cheers

Tom Allsopp

Comment

Originally posted by tpatennis View Post
                Thanks a lot mate,

I think you are right, the elbow is a little busy. As I previously said, I had her taking the racket back with a straight arm so that she could just come through with the racket and not drop the head, but thats when it was a total mess. I think she is at the stage where she can just focus on not moving it too much.... Mac Style. Thanks!

She has always had great feel for the dropshot even when the technique was bad so hopefully it will get even better now.

I don't want to just self promote but I wrote an article titled "How John McEnroe Developed The Best Hands In Tennis" IT'S JUST A THEORY PEOPLE! Here is the link... http://tpatennis.net/how-john-mcenro...nds-in-tennis/
                Good article! I agree entirely.

Nastase had as much feel if not more feel than McEnroe. The things he could do with the ball were downright uncanny. I saw him at Wimbledon a number of times...he could steer the ball around...like it was stuck to his racket. He was a Genius in every sense of the word. He used a continental grip for all his shots too!!
                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7880 users online. 6 members and 7874 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X