Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Boris Becker's Forehand Analysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The role of the wrist...in the forehand.

Originally posted by DougEng View Post
    Some pros do use a little wrist and it's natural to have some movement (mostly extension on the unit turn and backswing) but it's not a major contributor to power.

Doug
    What an interesting discussion on the role of the wrist in the forehand swing. While you say that the wrist is not a major contributor to power...is it possible to say that the role of the wrist is a major "conduit" to power and control in the tennis forehand swing for that matter.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      I love Boris as some of the readers on this forum may know. But this forehand video is a bit confusing. I agree with Doug about the "early" comments. It is fairly vague and basic. Nothing groundbreaking or extraordinary.

He mentions about hitting "in front". Did he mean in front of body, knowing body is turned to the sideline, shoulders pointing at net, thus hitting in front of belly button? Or does he mean with body uncoiled so that racquet makes contact with ball in front of his left foot? get what I mean. He gives advice but no real visual cues, just general terms.

If you really want to open a can of worms, you should view the other Boris Becker/Ralph Lauren videos in this series where he speaks about volleys, backhands, serves. I wont ruin it for you but interesting information given in those videos as well.

I always find it amusing when elite professionals try to explain their technique and stroke mechanics and there is an enormous disparity between what they say, and what video shows they do.

Sometimes when I videotape students they can't believe they actually hit that way. I remember I had one student I filmed that swore that the guy on video (himself) was not actually him. LOL. I still have a laugh about that one.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I also found a few of those RL videos amusing, obviously done for their promotions. Boris mentions the wrist on the serve too and also stepping in
      (a bit too much emphasized) on the volley and slicing the high volley. The perfect application of the Tiger Woods (seeing is not what he does). Boris mentioned on the backhand he doesn't take a big backswing since his "arm is quite strong." But his backswing is quite conventional (it's a good-sized backswing). He's just old school, teaching what he learned (30 years ago). His observations on variations and tactics are very good, however.

I was a very big BB fan too! No one like him!!

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        What an interesting discussion on the role of the wrist in the forehand swing. While you say that the wrist is not a major contributor to power...is it possible to say that the role of the wrist is a major "conduit" to power and control in the tennis forehand swing for that matter.
        Yes the use of the wrist is important. I deleted and rephrase the statement since there really isn't much scientific evidence out there. Brian Gordon's article is best, even if confusing to some. You can check out the shorter note I wrote instead.

Comment

It was interesting...

Yes the use of the wrist is important. I deleted and rephrase the statement since there really isn't much scientific evidence out there. Brian Gordon's article is best, even if confusing to some. You can check out the shorter note I wrote instead.
          You shouldn't have deleted that Doug...it was enormously interesting. What you said was quite fascinating and I intended to read it several more times. We don't always have to defer to Brian Gordon's piece although I too agree that his stuff is very good as well...excellent even. We don't always need science either and we don't have to ever agree. That is unimportant.

I picked up on Boris' comment on the wrist as well in my initial response. His comment was interesting as well. He said....and my translation was:

"Boris further emphasized that the best forehands use their wrists the most...read most "efficiently"."

People don't always look like they think they look, they don't always say what they mean and of course the translation is just as important for the listener.
          Last edited by don_budge; 10-14-2012, 02:58 AM.
          don_budge

Comment

Underspin Forehand...

One overlooked point in this video that was shot as a Ralph Lauren promo was his comment on the underspin forehand. He said, "this is how I do a underspin forehand, but that's not played anymore".

Another shot doomed to extinction. But he again said to take the ball early and ideally the weight is on the front foot. This was a great deal of fun as a promotion for the patrons and enormously entertaining to discuss on the forum as well. Over and out.
            Last edited by don_budge; 10-14-2012, 03:16 AM.
            don_budge

Comment

I also found a few of those RL videos amusing, obviously done for their promotions. Boris mentions the wrist on the serve too and also stepping in
              (a bit too much emphasized) on the volley and slicing the high volley. The perfect application of the Tiger Woods (seeing is not what he does). Boris mentioned on the backhand he doesn't take a big backswing since his "arm is quite strong." But his backswing is quite conventional (it's a good-sized backswing). He's just old school, teaching what he learned (30 years ago). His observations on variations and tactics are very good, however.

I was a very big BB fan too! No one like him!!

Doug,

Glad you were able to take a look at a few of those RL videos. Yes they were promotional so not too in detail on mechanics. Becker is old-school, nothing wrong with that, the nice thing for Becker is he will always have those great strokes and a great mind. He is truly a legend and a big inspiration for me (tennis-wise that is)

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                You shouldn't have deleted that Doug...it was enormously interesting. What you said was quite fascinating and I intended to read it several more times. We don't always have to defer to Brian Gordon's piece although I too agree that his stuff is very good as well...excellent even. We don't always need science either and we don't have to ever agree. That is unimportant.

I picked up on Boris' comment on the wrist as well in my initial response. His comment was interesting as well. He said....and my translation was:

"Boris further emphasized that the best forehands use their wrists the most...read most "efficiently"."

People don't always look like they think they look, they don't always say what they mean and of course the translation is just as important for the listener.
                I deleted it due to question of wrist extension angle measurements among pros and club players. Nothing really out there and in looking at my statement, the angles may be off. Worth looking at more in depth.

Transcribing Boris' exact statement was "I think the best forehands today are the ones that use their wrists the most...on clay courts it's Nadal"

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  Doug,

Glad you were able to take a look at a few of those RL videos. Yes they were promotional so not too in detail on mechanics. Becker is old-school, nothing wrong with that, the nice thing for Becker is he will always have those great strokes and a great mind. He is truly a legend and a big inspiration for me (tennis-wise that is)

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Boris and Pat Cash were my favorite player in the mid-80s!!

Comment

Pro comemnts

It is actually quite surprising that so many pros and good players do say they use quite bit of wrist. And many instructors do not talk much about wrist.

But there is no doubt that emphasizing too much on wrist can have problem on teaching..

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 5250 users online. 10 members and 5240 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X