Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing an ATP Style Forehand: Pull, Flip, and Roll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bottle View Post
    And if you're going to have racket tip raked toward net a little for slightly more whirl, why would you ever arrange this during backward or forward swings when you could already have it in wait position?
    Excuse me if I have misunderstood you.

My understanding is that having the racket tip pointed towards the ball is what Oscar Wegner recommends ("stalking the ball") and that this is the wait position for him, after which the fast loop and acceleration occurs...

Comment

I don't know. The characterizations of Oscar and what he actually says or implies are frequently different. I remember a lot of Oscar about catching the ball with the hand. And WBTC recently suggested that Stanislas Wawrinka sites for a backhand-- in forward set-- with edge of his racket. Today in A New Year's Serve I settle on wrist as the stupid little thing that might make a big difference in siting for my one hand topspin backhand. I picked wrist as my "rifle site" because it stays relatively still even if the hand is hinging around just then. Though a pacifist, I think a rifle site ought to stay still.

When I tried to do a lot of Oscar he urged me to use more feel than logic. In his books, there is a paragraph or section or sentence or phrase about how a player should use his individuality in working out shape of the last fast bit in which the racket head goes back then forward to the ball. That's where Oscar sees most room for variation-- I am not sure exactly where he states that but he does state it in his two fascinating books.

The larger point seems what Jim McLennan says in a video: "We used to start with racket back and swing forward. Now we start with racket forward and swing backward and forward and backward."
      Last edited by bottle; 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
        I don't know. The characterizations of Oscar and what he actually says or implies are frequently different. I remember a lot of Oscar about catching the ball with the hand. And WBTC recently suggested that Stanislas Wawrinka sites for a backhand-- in forward set-- with edge of his racket. Today in A New Year's Serve I settle on wrist as the stupid little thing that might make a big difference in siting for my one hand topspin backhand. I picked wrist as my "rifle site" because it stays relatively still even if the hand is hinging around just then. Though a pacifist, I think a rifle site ought to stay still.

When I tried to do a lot of Oscar he urged me to use more feel than logic. In his books, there is a paragraph or section or sentence or phrase about how a player should use his individuality in working out shape of the last fast bit in which the racket head goes back then forward to the ball. That's where Oscar sees most room for variation-- I am not sure exactly where he states that but he does state it in his two fascinating books.

The larger point seems what Jim McLennan says in one of his videos: "We used to start with racket back and swing forward. Now we start with racket forward and swing backward and forward and backward."
        Oscar says:
        Track the ball as if you were going to catch it. Keep the non-playing hand on the throat of the racquet to prevent it from going back too early.
        Jim describes the modern approach leading to a much longer acceleration path for the racket...

Comment

Yup.

Comment

I just saw this thread. I saw don_budge's curiosity about my opinion on Macci's forehand. Yes, I think Macci teaches the topspin forehand the way many pro players today hit that stroke. Yes, I think Macci's forehand wrongly teaches students to let the ball come to them, rather than attack the ball in a forward manner. Yes, I would categorize Macci's forehand as a backwards-set, or backwards-emphasis, forehand.

The Macci style forehand has in part destroyed the quality of tennis at the world class & top junior levels. It has infested the sport with complications & so many unforced errors & inaccurate shots. Sadly, so many kids are good at copying what the pros do on TV.

Comment

I would have to disagree with this. But my question is where can I see a piece of video of a forehand that fits the paradigm wbc is describing of good forehand technique?

Comment

John, I think your question has been posed before, the ol thread stopper.

Comment

Yes. It would be great if not.

Comment

Agassi, floating along the baseline with his racket held toward the net. That's it! The trouble is that people are too literal-minded in their interpretation of these ideas. They ought to ask-- dispassionately-- what's in this for me. So, you see, a thread-stopper did not occur. Ivan Lendl is another example, lagging his racket toward the net while his elbow is needled toward the back fence. It's very dishonest to fail to make a distinction between those who whip the racket immediately and frantically all the way back and those who have more delay (and measure points) in their backswing.

Listen, if I'm going to be lectured about not being late, I want to be lectured about not being early, too.

Comment

I've always flipped..
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBvWtUYk_4

Why am I the only one showing my strokes???

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                        I've always flipped..

Here's mine...

Stotty

Comment

Thanks Stotty, hope we can hook up some day in Lugano...

Comment

Thanks Stotty, hope we can hook up some day in Lugano...
                            I was nearly there this weekend...well nearby. Other commitments meant I couldn't go. My son is staying with his grandparents in Porto Ceresio at the moment. He'll be delighted Federer won today.
                            Stotty

Comment

Stotty,

That forehand looks effortless and strong. You are my new model.

The Captain

Comment

I've always flipped..

In the example you show I would argue that you are not truly flipping / pulling the racquet from a coacked position. You seem to lay the racquet head down behind you and then you rotate your hips and pull.
                                Last edited by sfrazeur; 05-22-2014, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8027 users online. 4 members and 8023 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X