2014 Australian Open Championship...Melbourne, Austalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Australian Open Championship...Melbourne, Austalia

The 2014 Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the New Year.
    Last edited by bobsmith; 01-07-2014, 01:58 AM.

Thanks bobsmith...

Originally posted by bobsmith View Post
    The 2014 Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the New Year.
    There are a couple of questions...mostly about the "Big Four".

Roger Federer...what's up with Roger? New racquet, new collaboration with Stefan "Sleepy Bear" Edberg and the whole age issue. Come on Roger...some more magic please.

Fafa Nadal...hmmpf.

Novak Djokovic...probably Fafa and Djokovic in the final this year again. Foregone conclusion?

Andy Murray...miraculous recovery ala Fafa. Wonder potions?

Juan Martin del Potro...the new addition?

Bring it on...it's been a long layoff between Slams.
    Last edited by don_budge; 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Should I begin to bring up Berdych's name or is it too early in the season?

Probably a Djokovic/Nadal final. Murray, Del Potro, Federer may need an upset and a little extra luck to hold the trophy. The last big tennis trophy that was meaningful (in my mind) that got held up was the Davis Cup...by Tomas Berdych and the Czech team. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It will be interesting to see how Roger handles the fact that he hasn't made it past the 3rd round of a grand slam since last year's French Open. Lots of internal pressure from his own mind. Also the first GS he'll play with the new racquet.

Dark horse may be Marin Cilic? Being coached by Goran Ivanisevic this year and certainly has shown alot more aggression and fire. Someone to look out for maybe not necessarily for Melbourne, but for season as a whole. Former top 10 player still in his prime.

Can't wait for the Aussie Open!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

The top half is loaded...

Aussie Open men's draw...

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/index.html

Nadal vs. Tomic in 1st round. Ouch!

Berdych only 7 matches away from his first grand slam title

Don't really know what to say about the women's draw other than the future Mrs. LaCroix aka the #14 seed, is in Serena's quarter of the draw.

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ws/index.html

Let the prognostications begin...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Ferrer gets no love!

If a player reached the quarter finals or better in eight straight grand slams people would be asking when he would win a grand slam. Has this ever been done by a person without a grand slam?

Reasons to cheer for Ferrer:
          • He works harder than anyone
          • When he loses it is fun to watch because the other player has to play really really well
          • He constructs points very well
          • He doesn't take forever in between points

Let's go Ferrer!

Comment

The draw has panned out well for Djokovic. Dropping to world number two has done him a favour in this slam! He hates playing Murray but that's going to taken care of by someone else it seems.

Murray and Potro have to be only one's that can threaten the top two. It will be interesting to see how they both step up to the plate. I haven't seen Murray play since his return from injury. Murray versus Nadal will be interesting if it were to come about.

I think Federer will likely bomb out early...

I hope Wawrinka does well. He has got close to Djokovic a couple of times.

Roll on Sunday....
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
              Ferrer gets no love!

If a player reached the quarter finals or better in eight straight grand slams people would be asking when he would win a grand slam. Has this ever been done by a person without a grand slam?

Reasons to cheer for Ferrer:
              • He works harder than anyone
              • When he loses it is fun to watch because the other player has to play really really well
              • He constructs points very well
              • He doesn't take forever in between points

Let's go Ferrer!

All valid points. I agree. I have nothing against Ferrer and I cheer for him often. I will be cheering for him until the quarters if he has to play Berdych.

VAMOS DAVEEED

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Kyle LaCroix

Comment

Aussie Open Prognostications

I just sent in the following analysis of the men's draw for 10sBalls.com. i was really disappointed earlier this week when I saw just a few games of Janowicz's match with Dolgopolov. It looked to me like he was just trying to muscle everything. I know he is coming back from back surgery, but he looked terrible. On the other hand, it seems like the speed of the courts has the players moving to the net a little more than last year. Anyone else notice this?

Here's my analysis (I came back with a couple of slight revisions after Del Potro won. It just changed the points by giving him 70 more and nothing to defend at Dubai). Del Potro looked really good against Tomic.:

Australian Open 2014
                Men's Singles Draw
                Quarter by Quarter

First Quarter, Top Seeds: Nadal and Del Potro
                Nadal faces an interesting first round in a hot Bernard Tomic, but Rafa got plenty of prep in winning Doha and should be ready for the Aussie. If it happens, his third round match against Monfils could be a tougher challenge. Monfils was able to take a set in the finals of Doha.

In the second sixteenth of the draw, Hewitt and Nishikori could reprise their match from last week in Brisbane where Hewitt beat him on his way to his big victory over Roger in the final. But anyone coming out of that section figures to be a routine match for Nadal.

But in the second eighth of the draw (Del Potro's eighth), you have more substantial possibilities in Raonic and Dimitrov as well as this week's Auckland finalist, Lu. One of them should face Del Potro in the round of 16. If Del Potro holds the form he's demonstrated this week in Sydney, he is almost a lock for the round of 16. If Del Potro gets to the quarters to face Nadal, he is almost guaranteed to take the number 3 spot in the rankings.

Del Potro is only defending 90 points at Australian while Murray and Ferrer are defending 1200 and 720 respectively and Delpo picked up another 70 points beating Tomic in the Sydney final. Take away the Australian points and the current standings for Del Potro, Ferrer and Murray would be Del Potro-5235, Ferrer-4920 (David lost 160 points this week in Auckland), Murray-4360. So if Del Potro only reaches the round of 16(180 points), Ferrer will need semis in Melbourne to stay ahead of him. And semis won't be enough for Murray to stay ahead, even if Del Potro goes out in the first round. Del Potro has points to defend in February for Rotterdam. That top 4 ranking is very important coming to Rotterdam and Dubai as well as going forward in Indian Wells and Miami. This is why I think Del Potro will be firmly entrenched at the number three position by the end of March. And then he has very few points to defend for Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome. That means good seedings for Roland Garros and Wimbledon!

If the courts are as fast and as low bouncing in Melbourne as they appeared to be in Sydney and Auckland, it could be a long day for Nadal against Del Potro and what I think is an improved service motion with a slightly better elbow position in his backswing. Juan Martin appears to have adjusted to the faster courts he was complaining about just a bit at the beginning of the week and I wonder if the courts Nadal won on in Doha were as fast.

Second Quarter, Top Seeds: Murray and Federer
                Through his first three matches in his little sixteenth of the draw there appears to be little competition for the Scot, although a third round against Feliciano Lopez on fast hard courts could certainly be dangerous. The fact that Murray has so many seemingly routine matches to find his timing in Melbourne could be a big help to him as he has played just one official match and a couple of exhibitions since his back surgery.

But the bottom half of Murray's eighth of the draw includes a third round match between Auckland winner Isner and Kohlschreiber, who lost to John in the quarters without the loss of his serve, going down in three tie-break sets.

The top half of Federer's eighth of the draw includes Tsonga, Cilic and Simon, while his own sixteenth of the draw presents some challenges in Stepanek in the second round with Verdasco or Stakhovsky looming in the third round. Remember, Stakhovsky upset Roger at Wimbledon last summer.

There will be a lot of interesting matches, but I like the favorites to make it through to the battle of the recovered bad backs in the quarters; how recovered will determine who comes through in that quarterfinal. If his back is really recovered from the surgery, it is a great draw for Murray to build into each succeeding round. Roger showed some good stuff in Brisbane, but ran out of gas a little against Hewitt. This is also a pretty good draw for him if he is really back to 100% physically. I think Stepanek will be the most dangerous match for Federer until the quarters. And if Murray really has it together to get through those early matches, he will be very tough in the quarters. However, I like both Nadal and del Potro over either Murray or Federer in the semis.

Third Quarter, Top Seeds: Berdych and Ferrer
                Berdych should cruise into the fourth round. Once there, the seeding suggests he should face Kevin Anderson or Tommy Haas. Haas has been a formidable opponent at the Australian in the past and he may still have a little left in him, but Berdych looks very good for reaching the quarters.

The top half of Ferrer's eighth of the draw includes Youzhny, Florian Mayer and Janowicz; actually it's a very good draw for Jerzy. He looked terrible to me against Dolgopolov earlier this week and he needs a couple of good matches to develop into the kind of threat he showed himself to be last year. Ferrer's own sixteenth of the draw gets him a good start into the tournament before he runs into Dolgopolov or Chardy in the second round. He could face SoCal's own Steve Johnson in the second round, but he is a heavy favorite to reach the round of 16 in best of five; and he is a heavy favorite to come through the quarters and somewhat of a favorite in five sets against Berdych who split two matches with him in 2013. Ferrer won their only best of five in straight sets in a 2012 Davis Cup Final.

Fourth Quarter, Top Seeds: Wawrinka and Djokovic
                Wawrinka doesn't have the depth of experience among the top ten that the other members of the top 8 seeds do, but he is playing the best tennis of his career, just won the ATP event in Chennai without dropping a set, and played a great match here against Djokovic in the round of 16 last year. The other seed in his sixteenth of the draw is the Canadian, Pospisil, who played very well at the end of 2013, but there are no major floaters on the way to the round of 16. But the bottom sixteenth of Stan's eighth of the draw includes Robredo, Rosol, Benneteau, Davydenko, Kubot and Gasquet, the ninth seed. Gasquet should make it out of there, but not without some tough matches. The Gasquet-Wawrinka matchup is one of the best round of 16 matches on paper. I think it stands a very good chance of materializing.

The final eighth of the draw is Djokovic's section. The seeds in the top sixteenth of that section are Fognini and Gulbis. Floaters there include Querrey and Monaco and I wouldn't want to have to pick who makes it out of that section. Gulbis and Querry are probably the most dangerous for an upset. But I don't think it will make much difference to Djokovic. The other seed in Novak's sixteenth of the draw is Tursunov. There are a bunch of good players in that section, but none that is likely to pull off a win off any top ten player. I doubt Djokovic would even lose a set before the quarters. But the rematch of last year's encounter with Wawrinka will be one of the most anticipated matches of the tournament, if it happens.

I don't think there is anyone there who can impede Djokovic's inevitable progress to another Australian final. The one exception is Wawrinka, but I think Djokovic will be too prepared for him. The one thing that could work for Wawrinka is the influence of Becker. If Becker gets Djokovic to try something other than the formula that has been so successful with him, it could hamper Djokovic's performance and supply an opening for Wawrinka. I just think it is a mistake to subjugate Vajda's judgement and suggestions to those of Becker. If this change is not absolutely seamless, it could create a seed of doubt in Nole's mind; that seed of doubt can be deadly at this level. But short of something like that happening, I can't see anyone derailing the Djokovic Express short of the final meeting with Nadal whom I still see as the favorite on the other side.

Once in the final, the speed of the court and the conditions (open roof/closed roof?) could play a significant factor. I think Djokovic and his winning streak make him a slight favorite over Nadal to repeat. But Del Potro is playing awfully well. He made child's play of Tomic in the Sydney final tonight; lost just 6 points on his serve in two sets! Nadal should be rested and primed. If I had to pick a longshot, I think it would be Wawrinka. He went to 12-10 in the fifth with Djokovic last year and the quicker court may help his aggressive game. If he plays well, he only has that one big upset to pull off against Nole. The rest he should win on current form until the final. And if he gets there, anything goes. In the meantime, Federer is enjoying running under the radar with reduced expectations. If his back is really as good as he would have us believe, the quicker courts could make a big difference for him. So it should be a very exciting tournament.

don
                Last edited by tennis_chiro; 01-11-2014, 02:00 AM.

Comment

One never knows...about the future.

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                  On the other hand, it seems like the speed of the courts has the players moving to the net a little more than last year. Anyone else notice this?

don
                  One never knows about the future. Every once in a while a dream comes true. But what is that? Coincidence? Fate?

Yeah...the courts. Let's get some quantification on the courts. The engineering could be under way. Is there any reason why the secretive bastards that are asserting their discretions on the game of tennis wouldn't share them with us...the unwitting morons that they perceive us to be?

The ITF...what an outfit. Always has been. No wonder John McEnroe was having a tizzy that basically lasted for the duration of his career. Here he was at the zenith...playing five set finals at Wimbledon against the Norse God of Tennis Björn Borg and the ITF basically goes and change the rules on everyone for that matter. The real studs of tennis at that time didn't revert until the very last...Borg, McEnroe, Connors and Lendl.

The ITF somehow overnight basically ordained an anything goes policy...that is, they allowed for oversized racquets without any specifications whatsoever. For a hundred years or more the standard sized woodie was good enough for the lords and commoners alike. But all of a sudden...out of nowhere an intervention was underway. They said that size didn't matter. Guess what...it does. A reinvention. Did anybody notice that the racquets got bigger? A facetious question in light of tennis_chiro's query..."did anyone else notice this?" Trust me...nothing escapes me.

But they are back at it again. I predicted as much a couple of years ago. The game is ridiculously boring the way that it has been engineered and the only thing funny about it is how the mass public bought into it hook, line and sinker. Tennis is a metaphor for life much of the time...just look around you as the masses buy into the modern paradigm of life. Ha!

Last year there was a very good article that I read about precisely this...the engineering of the game. Much of the subject was about the speed of the courts at the Australian Open. There was much grousing and complaining going on by players, fans, journalists...everyone it seems was complaining that the courts were too damn slow and the bounce was too high. It doesn't take one of your genius PhD's to figure out that something has been rotten in Denmark for a very long time. Sometimes I wonder how guys like Rod Laver and the like can stomach the new game compared to the old...but the thing is these guys are all trying to make a buck still off of their legendary. It's human nature.

So here is my prediction...the game is under reconstruction once again. If it isn't...it should be. An entire basic part of the game has been deleted...the art of volleying, serve and volleying, approaching the net. All that is left is serve, forehand and backhand. Even the remaining elements are one track mentality...if you want to call that mentality. I would call it an absence of. A lot of the material here on this website has been more or less heading in this direction. The current effort of klacr invoking the memory of serve and volley and the like. Kirston Popp's classic game revisited...the opportunity attack. People don't like to talk about the obvious...conventional wisdom is synonymous with political correctness these days. Shhh....the NSA is listening.

So let the games begin. This stuff reminds me of Big Time Wrestling more and more. The coliseum of ancient Rome another venue that comes to mind. Trotting out these legends as coaches. Pure Hollywood. Coaching on the court. Can't players think for themselves any longer? What is so difficult in holding to a game plan...or even devising one? A player has a team around them? The ones that can afford them do...you see, it's all about the almighty buck in the end.

Don't get me wrong...I love tennis. At least I used to. But Roger Federer will soon be leaving the stadium. Perhaps not as dramatically as Elvis did...but just as significantly. I hear a giant sucking noise...like the air going out of a balloon. It's no coincidence the engineering is under way. There are no coincidences...not in politics.

Fafa vs. Joker in the final. The rest is foreplay. Let's keep an eye on the play at the net. Afterall...it is tennis, you know.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 01-11-2014, 01:03 AM.
                  don_budge

Comment

Stepanek Served and Volleyed

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    One never knows about the future. Every once in a while a dream comes true. But what is that? Coincidence? Fate?

Yeah...the courts. Let's get some quantification on the courts. The engineering could be under way. Is there any reason why the secretive bastards that are asserting their discretions on the game of tennis wouldn't share them with us...the unwitting morons that they perceive us to be?

The ITF...what an outfit. Always has been. No wonder John McEnroe was having a tizzy that basically lasted for the duration of his career. Here he was at the zenith...playing five set finals at Wimbledon against the Norse God of Tennis Björn Borg and the ITF basically goes and change the rules on everyone for that matter. The real studs of tennis at that time didn't revert until the very last...Borg, McEnroe, Connors and Lendl.

The ITF somehow overnight basically ordained an anything goes policy...that is, they allowed for oversized racquets without any specifications whatsoever. For a hundred years or more the standard sized woodie was good enough for the lords and commoners alike. But all of a sudden...out of nowhere an intervention was underway. They said that size didn't matter. Guess what...it does. A reinvention. Did anybody notice that the racquets got bigger? A facetious question in light of tennis_chiro's query..."did anyone else notice this?" Trust me...nothing escapes me.

But they are back at it again. I predicted as much a couple of years ago. The game is ridiculously boring the way that it has been engineered and the only thing funny about it is how the mass public bought into it hook, line and sinker. Tennis is a metaphor for life much of the time...just look around you as the masses buy into the modern paradigm of life. Ha!

Last year there was a very good article that I read about precisely this...the engineering of the game. Much of the subject was about the speed of the courts at the Australian Open. There was much grousing and complaining going on by players, fans, journalists...everyone it seems was complaining that the courts were too damn slow and the bounce was too high. It doesn't take one of your genius PhD's to figure out that something has been rotten in Denmark for a very long time. Sometimes I wonder how guys like Rod Laver and the like can stomach the new game compared to the old...but the thing is these guys are all trying to make a buck still off of their legendary. It's human nature.

So here is my prediction...the game is under reconstruction once again. If it isn't...it should be. An entire basic part of the game has been deleted...the art of volleying, serve and volleying, approaching the net. All that is left is serve, forehand and backhand. Even the remaining elements are one track mentality...if you want to call that mentality. I would call it an absence of. A lot of the material here on this website has been more or less heading in this direction. The current effort of klacr invoking the memory of serve and volley and the like. Kirston Popp's classic game revisited...the opportunity attack. People don't like to talk about the obvious...conventional wisdom is synonymous with political correctness these days. Shhh....the NSA is listening.

So let the games begin. This stuff reminds me of Big Time Wrestling more and more. The coliseum of ancient Rome another venue that comes to mind. Trotting out these legends as coaches. Pure Hollywood. Coaching on the court. Can't players think for themselves any longer? What is so difficult in holding to a game plan...or even devising one? A player has a team around them? The ones that can afford them do...you see, it's all about the almighty buck in the end.

Don't get me wrong...I love tennis. At least I used to. But Roger Federer will soon be leaving the stadium. Perhaps not as dramatically as Elvis did...but just as significantly. I hear a giant sucking noise...like the air going out of a balloon. It's no coincidence the engineering is under way. There are no coincidences...not in politics.

Fafa vs. Joker in the final. The rest is foreplay. Let's keep an eye on the play at the net. Afterall...it is tennis, you know.
                    Radek was able to make a match out of his contest with Del Potro because he got to the net a lot. If the court was just a little slower, I think Juan Martin would have routined him 2 and 2. Stepanek may well be the best practitioner of net play left among today's singles players. Without his superior front court skills, he would struggle to have a spot in the top 100.

Federer and Murray should take a look at the tape of the Stepanek/Del Potro match. The formula is right there for everyone to see.

don

Comment

Faster courts?

Nadal mentioned that courts are faster than last year.
                      The corresponding interview

Federer complained as well as expected

Comment

Engineering the game of tennis...The 2014 Australian Open

Just as the game of tennis has been engineered in the New World of cyberspace or virtual reality and virtual morality...so has society. One only has to open their eyes...but why bother? It is so much easier to exist with eyes wide shut. -don_budge

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                        Nadal mentioned that courts are faster than last year.
                        The corresponding interview

Federer complained as well as expected
                        Thanks for posting the NY Times article. I think that there is a difference between complaining and making poignant and astute observations.

Here is the bit about Federer and what he said...

While playing in the faster conditions of Brisbane, Roger Federer bemoaned that no matter how the balls were changed, the gritty courts in Melbourne would fluff up the felt on the balls.

“You can speed up the balls as much as you want, they’re going to be so fuzzed up after two games that it’s just going to be hard to hit winners and service winners,” he said. “If that’s what people want to see, just rallies, rallies, rallies all the time, then it’s good to have a slow court. If you want a bit more even ground for everybody, even the lower-ranked guys and more danger for the top guys, you go with a faster court. Maybe we’ll get more serve-and-volley back into the game or more of the unknown, which I think is nice.”

Federer, the No. 6 seed at the Open, also pointed out that conditions in the late rounds in Melbourne were altered by having the semifinal and final rounds played at night, which he said had “slowed down conditions drastically over time.” The semifinals first moved to night sessions in 2000, and the first men’s night final was in 2005.

“I think it’s quite incredible how things have slowed down over the years,“ Federer said of the tour in general. “I remember when I came up on tour with Lleyton things were so different,” he said, referring to Lleyton Hewitt, who turned pro in 1998, the same year as Federer. “We had to change our games around to be able to still compete today.”

end of bit...

Roger is corroborating exactly what I am alluding to in the engineering of the game. He even puts in a plug for a revival of the serve and volley game that has gone into hibernation as klacr is writing about so eloquently in his series of articles. From Roger's vantage point he has a perfectly good reason to "complain"...or rather comment about the engineering. Afterall, it is a question of fairness in the end. Isn't that the point of the rigid political correctness enforced on the masses in our Orwellian world. Yet...large corporations exist and operate under the guise of their own agendas...the ITF is above the law. They are the law. Hmmm...more metaphor to life as in government and its role of serving the people.

There is controversy here about some rather minor or subtle changes in the court surface. All of the top players are voicing their opinions. Why wouldn't they? They have vested interests. I wonder where the NY Times was when the sport of tennis made the decision that anything goes concerning the equipment...oversize racquets. I wonder where the NY Times was when the game was raped by the vested interests of the powers that be. I know where they were...in the pockets of the equipment companies, the ITF and all of their other corporate partners in crime. Just as the they are now with their fantasy interpretation of realistic news coverage...in the pockets of vested interests.

It is one of the strangest phenomenas that I have ever witnessed in all of my years and experience in life...how the sport of tennis managed that transformation without a single mention or controversy that I know of. Why is it the opinions of John McEnroe, Björn Borg, Ivan Lendl or Jimmy Connors were never heard in the news? The transformation was completed at the 1984 U. S. Open. What a coincidence...except there are no coincidences in politics. I personally quit the game for almost 15 years because I was so disgusted with the sport. Oh well...live and learn. Hopefully.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 01-13-2014, 02:05 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

Fed knows he can't win the grinding matches against the top players any more. There is too much ad campaign pressure to bring in more viewers, who never did like wham bam no thank you ma'am tennis.

Those of us who did, were also able to love the grinders, and that's the problem. No one cares about the slower courts, slower balls, faster defenders, etc. It's the same reason no one cares about string, or stringing methods. Only students of the game love sv, and string.
                          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 01-13-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

The Speed of the Courts and the Balls...A developing story

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                            On the other hand, it seems like the speed of the courts has the players moving to the net a little more than last year. Anyone else notice this?

don
                            Watching the matches so far the best that I can come up with is...ho hum. Boring...boring...boring. Except for Roger Federer of course. I can always hold out with a bit of hope as long as he is in the draw. But then again...I bet with my heart. Which makes me a loser.

But it is the speed of the courts that is the compelling story so far. In all of the interviews and post match commentary that I have heard so far the speed of the courts and the balls were the main topic of conversation. But then again...I only saw Fafa Nadal being interviewed and I only heard the comments of my fellow Swede Mats Wilander.

Fafa is a dreadful interview. My oh my...he is a dumbass isn't he. Please tell me why his left eyebrow is so arched when he is making one of his stupid comments about either his injuries, his game, his fake respect for anything etc. Anyone that is a fan of this guy is attracted to low brow worship...real elementary stuff. As far as I am concerned his game sort of lacks any sort of real indicator of intelligence either. Forehand...topspin...forehand...topspin...forehand ...topspin ad infinitum. But that's the "greatest player ever"...not. So one-dimensional and so very boring. On court and off. He's not alone, he's just at the top. James Courier did nothing to showcase this guy's intelligence either in his interview he only confirmed what is missing.

Fafa had some rather interesting comments about the courts. They didn't even qualify as left-handed compliments. Mats Wilander said that Nadal does like quick ball though...so maybe the two things equal things out from the Nadalian perspective.

Quickening the courts is not the answer to the games problem either with the way that it is being played in the modern era. But now we are going to have quicker points with a bunch of professionals that look amateurish when the are approaching the net and volleying. From what little that I have watched so far all that I can say is that it is laughable. I don't really believe there are any accomplished serve and volleyers out there. Mostly they are delegated to the backcourts to play doubles which is not really the real game of doubles any longer with contests being decided with tie-breakers in lieu of a third or deciding set. Serious problems in the "planet of tennis" as the overly dramatic and slurpy Rupert what's his name was gushing up his idea of a good idea to Sir Rodney and Sir Roger. Sir R & R.

What we are going to witness with the quicker courts and quicker balls is going to be somewhat amusing. Some players will get it into their noggins that perhaps it will be a good idea to try and conclude things at the net. Not that it is a bad idea, it is only that they have spent all of their lives camped out on the baseline. Quick balls and quick courts? What to do? Anyone remember approaching with slice that makes the ball "lie down"? I doubt it. Certainly this is not in the average players repertoire. Perhaps somewhere in Federer's DNA he has some genetic awareness of what used to be like to attack the net. Obviously he was forewarned of the engineering process underway...thus the addition of Stefan "Sleepy Bear" Edberg to his corner.

But of any player in the field the conditions favor Roger Federer's game. The only problem for Federer that he will not be able to overcome...is his age. The temperature downunder is down right strange according to Mats Wilander and the comely what's her name...Annabelle something or other. I can never remember her name...she is forgettable as well. Her empty lead up questions usually fall harmlessly short in the court.

Be that as it may...game on. I look forwards to the continuing utter nonsense discussions about the courts and the balls. The weird commentary about issues that have a deep and compelling history being bantered about by imbeciles in the commentary booth. Even Wilander glosses over things. Either these guys are unaware of the history of tennis or more than likely they fear for their jobs...like everyone else connected to the game. Everything hanging flimsily and precariously in the balance. One loose comment and it is into the mulch pile with the offending mouth.

Speeding up the courts and balls is not the answer. Even if the players were technically and tactically up to the challenge what we will have is a form or level of incompetence at a professional level. Brad Gilbert had it absolutely correct when he commented that the "modern" game of serve and volley was equally boring as the current interpretation or invention of the game. That was way too fast as well. The funny thing is...there is very few left to remember that the game was never broken in the first place. The final days of classic tennis were as good as it ever was. The game was evolving...ever so slowly and gradually just as nature would have had it. The wood was good for the game. There was a "Tennis in the Kingdom"...but that mythical world has been utterly destroyed by the very technology that is promoted as the cure for what ails you. The bigger racquet certainly makes it easier for the average Joe to play tennis but in the hands of professionals...it has made a mockery of the game.

The current fashion of lauding guys like Stefan Edberg, Boris Becker, Patrick Rafter as somehow pioneers of serve and volley only serve to perpetuate the myth of modern tennis. The truth is...it is a sad story.
                            don_budge

Comment

tough post don_budge .

But I can't disagree on the points you make on Serve and volley. You have spoken the truth.

As for the Aussie Open, with Tomic pulling up lame (not too surprised) and Hewitt being upset by Andreas Seppi, fans were disappointed. By two young Australians named Kyrgios and Kokkinakis have stepped up and won their first round matches. Hopefully the future looks bright for a country with a tennis rich tradition.

Federer took out a young Aussie in James Duckworth who happened to be using the old trick of standing out wide on the ad side and pulling Fed wide on the BH side. Good to see players giving opponents different looks on the serve. Still didn't work as Fed cruises.

tennis_chiro's boy Janowicz came back from two sets down as did Marin Cilic.

Isner retired in his match against Klizan. Very tough for the #1 American.

Here are Isner's last 8 majors...
                              Lost 18-16 in the fifth set
                              Lost 7-5 in the fifth set
                              Lost 6-4 in the fifth set
                              w/d
                              Lost 10-8 in the fifth set
                              retired
                              Lost 7-6 in the 4th
                              retired

Djokovic cruised in a very entertaining but straightforward match vs. Lukas Lacko.
                              Match of the tournament so far was Gilles Simon and Daniel Brands. 3 days ago Gilles Simon was still on crutches recovering from injury. Guess he felt better since he beat Brands 16-14 in the fifth set. The final set of the Simon/Brands match lasted nearly 30 minutes longer than the entire Andy Murray/Go Soeda match. May be smooth sailing for top seeds until the quarters. Berdych and Ferrer quarterfinal match approaching. Tberd has made quarters of Aussie Open last 3 years. Could take it at least one step further before he meets Djokovic.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2640 users online. 6 members and 2634 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X