Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're damn right!...John McEnroe to Jiminy Glick

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    That Dimitrov/Raonic match was an enormous breakthrough for the Bulgarian. Great quality match. Very happy for him. Let's see how much confidence this win gives him moving on. Awesome stuff.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Ironically...before this Jiminy Glick interview John McEnroe, there are some black and white clips of sports figures in action. In the numerous tennis spots the players are all moving forward to the net in white clothes and wooden racquets...except one. The player is scooting backwards chasing down a lob over his head. Irony? Why so...I ask? But this Jiminy Glick is just comic genius and McEnroe shows his primal sense of timing even trading lines with Martin Short. You should have seen him in his prime...with his little tiny wooden Jack Kramer Pro Staff. What a genius...the real madness came out after the Prince Racquets made their appearance. It was enough to drive a sane person...insane.

But I digress...back to the 2014 Australian Open.

The round of sixteen. The round we all have been waiting for. By we...I refer only to myself. Things begin to get a little more serious as players head into the second week of a Grand Slam. They start to smell victory...like napalm in the morning.

Fafa Nadal vs. Kei Nishikori...Somebody forgot to tell the Japanese Samurai that you should never bring a sword to a gun fight. Nadal has too many guns for the feisty kid from the land of the Rising Sun. The land of the worst nuclear accident in the history of mankind. I think that says it all.

Grigor Dimitrov vs. Roberto Bautista Agut...Agut already has taken down "The Jolly Argentine Giant" and he is not ready to go home yet. If Grigor is taking this guy for granted then he has not reached the level of maturity that is necessary to compete for a Grand Slam Title. But he won't be taking Roberto for granted...looking beyond to the other Spaniard. No...Roberto handed "Kid Gallivant" his shorts down in Beijing only a couple of months ago. Straight sets. There is no better revenge in life than success Kid Gallivant. Don't take no for an answer.

Andy Murray vs. Stephane Robert...If you are like me you want to say...Stephane Who? But don't dare. These French guys seem to come out of nowhere. No doubt owing their knack for coming and going silently being brought up with the "Parisian Hour". Whatever the reason...there always seems to be some new French name in the draw that I have not heard of and these unknowns many times do not resemble anyone that comes before them. Artistic impressionism. But tennis_chiro says that Murray looks comfortable and I believe him...most of the time. If Murray is fully recovered he only needs some matches under his belt and he will be getting more and more comfortable. Unless...someone has the game to take him out of his game. Stephane Robert?

Roger Federer vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga...Here's a dream round of sixteen match-up. A perfect test for Roger Federer. He needs this...at first glance you may begin to feel sorry for the aging Federer. Jo-Wilfried is the toughest opponent that the top seeds left with face...but I don't. This match is going to test the resolve of Federer. It is going to test his comfort with his new equipment. It is going to force him to elevate his game a bit earlier than the rest of the field...and as he would say. Let's have at it. If the courts are a bit fast he will have just a glimmer of hope in bullying the Baby Bull from France. Another French guy...what is it with the French these days. They seem to be crawling out of the woodwork these days. Probably something to do with the "Parisian Hour". Oh wait...I already said that. This is a great opportunity for Roger. It's a redux of last year. Let's hope he is ready for the pain. Last year he beat Tsonga in five grueling sets...it was great match but it wasted him for the next round against his match with none other than Andy Murray. Starting to look familiar? An incredibly tough draw for Federer at the end of the analysis...but one match at a time. See how far he can stretch it. New equipment, new coach...possibly quicker court, quicker balls. All adding up to quicker points? Roger is 9-4 lifetime against "Baby Bull" Tsonga. But most recently it was the straight set butt kick at the French Open. This memory will fuel "The Swiss Maestro" along with the other "intangibles" noted. Guess who I will be rooting for...even though Tsonga seems to be a really great sort of guy. Nice enough...don't you think so? All of Tsonga's victories have come over Roger in quarterfinal matches...this is the round of 16. Anything can happen...and it will. Dream match-up for the 16's.

Down in the bottom half...Down Under. "Get him an expresso"...John McEnroe says to the crew as Jiminy Glick feigns boredom.

No feigning here.

Tomas Berdych def. Kevin Anderson 6-2, 6-2, 6-3...Who cares? Answer...klacr. Strong showing by Kyle's preferred player...a snoozer in the offing.

David Ferrer def. Florian Mayer 6-7, 7-5, 6-2, 6-1...Florian reputedly immediately retired to the lockerroom to take a long nap...having been sombulized by David "EveryReady Energizer Bunny" Ferrer. I know lobndropshot thinks that David doesn't get enough respect...but I am the only one who disrespects him and I only do it tongue in cheek. My only beef with David is the Prince Racquet which takes a lot of explaining on my part...not his. This guy digs in and is tough to get rid of. He possesses the grit that it takes to be a great tennis player. Too bad his game is so one dimensional...he's got the flair. Maybe he just stuck with the one coach too long.

Stanislaw Wawrinka vs. Tommy Robredo...Stan is another guy that is coming of age. We have seen this process come most recently to fruition in Andy Murray. If Stanislaw can just keep maturing at a nice healthy progression each and every year...he is getting closer to leveling one of the big guns in a big match. That is precisely what it is going to take to get him over the hump. A bit takedown. He has his nemesis in his sights but he must not overlook Tommy Robredo. He is another of the ilk like Ferrer...he doesn't go away easily. But he may not have the firepower to deal with the up and comer contender Wawrinka and Wawrinka looks meaner and meaner lately. A good trait also in a tennis player...meanness. Make them wish that their mommies never had 'em...Stan.

Novak Djokovic def. Fabio Fognini...One of my biggest regrets of this tournament is that I never got a glimpse of the Fabulous One's eye candy. Did anyone catch a glimpse of her? Fabio is what you call a lucky loser if there is such a thing.
    Last edited by don_budge; 01-20-2014, 01:30 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

...and then there were nine.

Nadal over Nishikori. Flirted with giving the Samurai Kid a set but then reigned it in. Just a bit of skitishness getting the horse in the barn. No harm...but a huge opportunity in the offing for Grigor Dimitrov. More on that later.

Dimitrov over Agut. Just a huge win for Dimitrov as now his confidence has never been so high. We have been tracking this young rising star ever since the Stockholm Open and now he has arrived at a moment of truth. It's time Grigor. The bell tolls for thee.

Murray defeats Robert. The French unknown. The lucky loser. Well he's no loser any longer. He has a story for the grandkids. Murray showing a bit of rust but he gets one more match under his belt before the real dance begins. Yes...he looked pretty comfortable. Probably more comfortable than he should. More like a false sense of complacency. But Andy knows...if it is Federer next round...it isn't going to be that easy.

Federer and Tsonga. They have only just begun. Federer holds serve in the first game. Mats Wilander in the booth...thank God. It seems that he is the only announcer with any sense. One of his opening comments was about the cameras panning the friends box too much. Good one...Mats.
      Last edited by don_budge; 01-20-2014, 01:38 AM.
      don_budge

Comment

I am missing most of the Aussie Open this year...shame. I am just so busy at the club where I work. I did see the first three games of Tsonga v Federer this morning before slipping off to coach a bunch of housewives. Federer seemed to get off to a flyer and was moving like Fred Astaire from the get-go. He let loose with a string of gorgeous drop shots to take the third game. I then had to leave, but he looked as commanding as I could have hoped for at that point.

Murray will be a sterner test and their match is going to be really interesting to watch. Federer is no fan of Murray and he will be busting a gut to win that match.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          If you mean propaganda in terms of a change of racket will make all the difference to Federer...and so too to "Joe Public's" game if they switch too, then, yes, great propaganda.

Can't see any other motive, can anyone else?
          A long way from Yannick Noah hitting with a board when Arthur Ashe found him.

Comment

Now there are eight...very interesting Mr. Federer!!!

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Roger Federer vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga...Here's a dream round of sixteen match-up. A perfect test for Roger Federer. He needs this...at first glance you may begin to feel sorry for the aging Federer. Jo-Wilfried is the toughest opponent that the top seeds left with face...but I don't. This match is going to test the resolve of Federer. It is going to test his comfort with his new equipment. It is going to force him to elevate his game a bit earlier than the rest of the field...and as he would say. Let's have at it. If the courts are a bit fast he will have just a glimmer of hope in bullying the Baby Bull from France. Another French guy...what is it with the French these days. They seem to be crawling out of the woodwork these days. Probably something to do with the "Parisian Hour". Oh wait...I already said that. This is a great opportunity for Roger. It's a redux of last year. Let's hope he is ready for the pain. Last year he beat Tsonga in five grueling sets...it was great match but it wasted him for the next round against his match with none other than Andy Murray. Starting to look familiar? An incredibly tough draw for Federer at the end of the analysis...but one match at a time. See how far he can stretch it. New equipment, new coach...possibly quicker court, quicker balls. All adding up to quicker points? Roger is 9-4 lifetime against "Baby Bull" Tsonga. But most recently it was the straight set butt kick at the French Open. This memory will fuel "The Swiss Maestro" along with the other "intangibles" noted. Guess who I will be rooting for...even though Tsonga seems to be a really great sort of guy. Nice enough...don't you think so? All of Tsonga's victories have come over Roger in quarterfinal matches...this is the round of 16. Anything can happen...and it will. Dream match-up for the 16's.

Well...I guess that I just about said it all if I do say so myself.

New equipment, new coach, quicker court and quicker balls. He swarmed all over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga...he never knew what hit him. Federer played him like a Stradivarius...a virtuoso performance.

I am not going to say too much right now...except that I told you so. But now the focus is on Andy Murray. Believe it or not...this is right in the Federer wheelhouse. It's been a perfect lead up and Roger has his teeth into this tournament like nobody else does by virtue of his "routining" of Tsonga today.

So Murray looks comfortable? We will see about that. I think Roger sort of has him in his sights right about now. I watched a good deal of Murray's match too. I have some advice to Murray...you better be ready and I don't think he is. Not enough match play. Not enough tough opponents. Roger made Tsonga look very uncomfortable. Very lost. Murray is another level that is for certain...but is he fit. Roger is...and he is looking very focused.

But we'll see. Just wait and see. I have a funny feeling about this one and I think that I will just keep it under my hat for a spell. Think about it a bit. But that match against Tsonga was really something. Really something. It makes me think...more and more about what I have been writing about. Paradigms. ATP forehands. Coaching. It's enough to drive you crazy. But wow...what a match from Federer. It really doesn't bode all that well for Andy Murray. But who knows...we will just have to wait and see.

I think that I am right about the court...changing the speed just a bit changes everything. I know I was right about the racquet...he should have done it years ago. The world of tennis just got a bit smaller...I think. Very interesting. Hmmm...we will see.
            Last edited by don_budge; 01-20-2014, 06:07 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

I watched some Youtube highlights of Federer v Tsonga. Federer was moving superbly. His defensive play was outstanding. His work inside the baseline was also outstanding. He read Tsonga like a book...and made him look quite dumb...which he is.

The question is, does Federer have another performance like that in him...and another after that? Time will tell. Murray is no Tsonga. Playing well he's far better. It may be a little soon for him to find his A game after such a long time out with injury, and that's what will make the contest interesting.

It's gonna be an interesting game, for sure.
              Stotty

Comment

At times, it looked like Vintage Fed. The player we all fell in love with.

Berdych vs Ferrer, Djokovic-Wawrinka on tonight.

I have lots of respect for Ferrer, but tonight, no doubt Tberd will take this match. Djokovic-Wawrinka should be a real show.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Australian Open

Sorry, too busy to post from Down Under. Given I was at Melbourne Park 10 hours a day...

Tennis Australia Coaches Conference was a blast. The Tennis Australia team is very hospitable. Best conference! Toni Nadal, Rod Laver, Sven Groeneveld, Roger Rasheed. My presentation at Hisense was very very well received. Also got on the courts and clay courts to hit around. Toni is a bit old school. Great stuff but I think many tour coaches may not grasp full understanding of physics or biomechanics…more later.

Very hot for a few days (but it cooled off very fast on Friday). So it's normal now.

Federer clearly hits much heavier now with the new racquet which could be a major plus to stay even with the other big three. Everyone is looking at his volleys but the heavier groundies might critical to create the open court. There are stats on his ball spin (closest to Nadal, compared to Murray and Djokovic).

Most dramatic match…late night with Gilles Simon and Daniel Brand…something like 18-16 in the 5th and Gilles then beat Cilic (who also had a 5-setter). Gilles hung around the court for 15 minutes afterwards just so happy taking photos with fans and signing autographs. Fabulous Fognini was fun to watch…clearly the acrobatic player (diving on the court) on the tour but no match for Gumby (Djokovic) himself. Nadal doesn't like the surface. Murray was fine in his matches I saw…back is fine.

I picked Azarenka and Djokovic to win (a bit fast for Nadal). And Serena to lose by the QFs…finally, a pick I got right!

Eugenie Bouchard is very good but still needs some development…she's a bit behind Sloane and Madison. But a smarter player (accurate and good tactics) and as good an athlete. Tonight…close to even vs Ana Ivanovic unless Ana is totally on. If not, it can be a 3-setter either way. Funny Nick Saviano coached both Sloane (not presently) and Genie. Madison played poor tactics against Jie Zheng (why is she backing out and letting Zheng take the backhand early?) to lose. She needs tactical coaching to reach the top 10-15 which she should be within a year if she makes the tactical adjustments.

Best,
                  Doug

Comment

Roger Federer and the 2014 Australian Open...Dreaming in Sweden

Early notes in the match...

mats talking early about the larger racquet.

two nice drop shots early in the third game...then a third for the game.

edberg brings something to the one hand backhand tactics...but mats says something contrary to what i believe. he says to stay in the rally with topspin...i say mix it up with slice. keep your opponent off balance with changing the spin, speed and placement.

chip and charge. a serve and volley...two in a row. federer up 4-1...tsonga completely off balance due to the variety of tactics from the onslaught.

serving out the first set...a big game. routine game. 29 minutes...first set to federer. won 12 of 15 net points.

first service game of the second set...tsonga serve and volleys. he fails to convert the volley. a shadow of doubt. next point federer gets the drop at the net. mind games.

mats...federer making tsonga look lost due to the variety of tactics.

another serve and volley from tsonga. desperation?

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    He read Tsonga like a book...and made him look quite dumb...which he is.

Murray is no Tsonga. It's gonna be an interesting game, for sure.
                    At times, it looked like Vintage Fed. The player we all fell in love with.

I have lots of respect for Ferrer, but tonight, no doubt Tberd will take this match. Djokovic-Wawrinka should be a real show.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Above the quotes were some notes that I was taking early on in the match...which I listened to with Mats Wilander announcing.

Murray is no Tsonga...and he’s no Federer either. To me it was a revitalized Federer...it was a first. The racquet makes such a huge difference in every facet of his game. He's serving like a machine. Power, precision and tactically. You know what looked vintage? The confidence. That looked like vintage Federer. His game looked like it was an upgrade. The coaching is a plus too. Stefan “Sleepy Bear” Edberg has Federer pointed in the right direction...to the net.

The speed of the court plays right into Federer’s hands. It gives him an ace in the hole against every single player in the field. Whether it is enough for him to capture a sixth Australian Open title is another question. He is just warming up and he really has his teeth into the tournament. His draw turns out to be the absolute best. He routinely straight sets an amazed Tsonga and now he has a less than match tough Andy Murray square in his sights. Federer has not been taxed at all in any of his matches...he's got the pedal to the metal. I have a feeling that his best is yet to come.Murray didn't look all that great against Stephane Roberts who was not that impressive at all. Ready or not...Andy. Your turn to face Federer. He's kicking ass and taking names.

Mats said the variety made Tsonga look lost. There are more descriptive words...but he was plenty lost from bell to bell. Perplexed. I don't think Jo-Wilfried is stupid as such. Just one dimensional like the rest of the tour. Roger cold-cocked him every step of the way. The games have begun. Come on Roger...the Bell Tolls for Thee.

But right now...klacr has it right. It's going to be the Djokovic-Wawrinka show. Let's hope that they don't disappoint. How bad does Stanislaw Wawrinka want to take Novak Djokovic down?

Also in the offing...more compelling stuff. Grigor Dimitrov vs. Rafael Nadal. Dimitrov plays Nadal tough and the court just may be to his advantage. Probably the biggest surprise that this tournament could offer right now is a Federer vs. Dimitrov semifinal. Hmmm...some great tennis to be played. This tournament is really developing into an epic...one that we all hope for.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 01-21-2014, 12:06 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

Berdych...in a snoozer

Berdych vs Ferrer

I have lots of respect for Ferrer, but tonight, no doubt Tberd will take this match.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Yeah...baby!!!
                      don_budge

Comment

Three one-handed backhand vs. two-handed backhand matches left

Absolutely great matches featuring the major contrast of styles left in the game. The one-handed backhand vs. the two-handed backhand.

Grigor Dimitrov's task decidedly different from either of the Swiss pair's. He is facing a left-handed scythe of a forehand. If...the speed of the court is quicker keep in mind the following possibilities Grigor. You must try to pin Nadal over on the backhand side. His reverse crosscourt will be less that sensational if you keep the ball spinning away from him...that is, to his right. Of course it will be necessary to be aggressive at his forehand at first to keep him from leaning on that backhand side. Tilden's rule...attack the strength to open up the weakness. Or is that from "The Art of War".

But the speed of the court could be everything to this advantage if Grigor can tactically come to grips with this conundrum. Djokovic many times uses his flatter backhand to this end when he plays Nadal...taking the ball early and going down the line with it. I believe that the power slice will also create some problems for Nadal's two-handed backhand if the court allows Grigor to keep the ball closer to the surface and skidding more than the sand laden courts of the modern engineered tennis courts.

Roger Federer has perhaps a more difficult exploitation tactic to work on Andy Murray...but Federer will come up with the necessary combination of shots and tactics against Andy. The strange thing about Andy is that he supposedly had back surgery just a month or two ago. How is it that he looks as ripped as a RoboCop? Did he do one of those mysterious Naldalian disappearances and recovering from an injury supposedly then returning bigger and stronger than ever? How can you recover from surgery and get so intensely muscled in a matter of weeks? Miraculous? Wonder drugs? Hard to phantom.

Stanislaw Wawrinka knows very well what he is faced with today. He's seen this scenario before coming up just short...last year. Perhaps the most memorable match of the year...his five setter with Djokovic in the semi's of the Australian last year...or was it the quarters. At any rate...if the court is quicker it favors ever so slightly the one-handed backhand if that one-handed backhand knows how to make the ball "lay down". The combination of placements and drives mixed up with net approaches is the way to dismantle the modern two-handed backhand, western forehand paradigm. Stan...you're the man! Good luck...remember second place today is a loser. You know how that feels...don't be satisfied. The Big Four beckons you.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 01-21-2014, 12:06 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by DougEng View Post

Eugenie Bouchard is very good but still needs some development…she's a bit behind Sloane and Madison. But a smarter player (accurate and good tactics) and as good an athlete. Tonight…close to even vs Ana Ivanovic unless Ana is totally on. If not, it can be a 3-setter either way. Funny Nick Saviano coached both Sloane (not presently) and Genie. Madison played poor tactics against Jie Zheng (why is she backing out and letting Zheng take the backhand early?) to lose. She needs tactical coaching to reach the top 10-15 which she should be within a year if she makes the tactical adjustments.

Best,
                          Doug
                          Doug, thanks for the perspective from Down Under. Sounds wonderful!

Re Roger Rasheed: it's great to see him, alas, with yet another creative shotmaker (Dimitrov) who might actually listen to his coaching. I've always thought he has a great presence and awareness of the game but his last two puplis (Monfils and Tsonga) struck me as unable or willing to take in his wisdom.

As for Bouchard, I'm not quite sure what is meant by her being "behind" Keys developmentally. In Bouchard I see someone who's game is, yes, quite limited to power baselining but who is proving herself quite match tough. She is ready to compete at this level. I can't say that yet for Sloane or Keys. As for Keys, from what I have seen she has great power but a great deal of problems defending and also keeping the ball more generally in play (at least relative to many other top women).

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts when you get a chance!

Comment

Can anyone name the 5 current players on the men's tour who have reached the semifinals or better in every grand slam?
                            Djokovic
                            Murray
                            Nadal
                            Federer
                            ...and Berdych!!!

Tberd is not done playing yet. Took out David Ferrer in 4 sets. He's licking his chops for Novak Djokovic. If anyone can end Djokovic's reign, It's Tberd. Playing very confident right now and a confident Berdych is a dangerous Berdych. Just ask Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic at 2010 Wimbledon, or Federer at 2012 US Open.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrios View Post

As for Bouchard, I'm not quite sure what is meant by her being "behind" Keys developmentally. In Bouchard I see someone who's game is, yes, quite limited to power baselining but who is proving herself quite match tough. She is ready to compete at this level. I can't say that yet for Sloane or Keys. ...

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts when you get a chance!
                              I loved to see Doug's comments as well. His insights and additional information always add so much for us here. Great to hear he sees Federer getting comfortable with the big racket. Great stuff about the increased spin.

Today was the first time I'd seen Bouchard play. I was really impressed with the sound fundamentals and the great footwork. Looks like Saviano has had a great influence on her. Looks like her forehand is somewhere between the ATP Type III and the WTA Type II, but closer to the ATP Type III. I think that is one reason she could hold up against the deep drives that Ivanovic was hitting a lot of the time. On the other hand, I have said in this forum before that I think that Sloan's almost Type I backswing on her forehand puts her at a disadvantage when she faces the deep drives of the top players. I didn't get to see her play. Anyone else notice if she has altered that at all? Did she do well in exchanges of deep balls? I know she is great when she gets to set up. I'm wondering if Annacone will get her to modify that at all. The strange thing is, she was also a Saviano product according to some things I've read. I wonder at what stages he had each of these players.

don

Comment

Doug Eng's findings...

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                                I loved to see Doug's comments as well. His insights and additional information always add so much for us here.
                                don
                                We are all interested to hear what he has to say. I hope that he starts a separate thread.

I would like to hear what he presented at the conference...if possible.
                                Last edited by don_budge; 01-21-2014, 03:13 AM.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8046 users online. 5 members and 8041 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X