No announcement yet.

2014 Australian Open Championship...Melbourne, Austalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Stanislas Wawrinka...

Huge congratulations to the champion of the 2014 Australian Championships. He won the thing fair and square. He also deserves a reward for maintaining his composure when he won. Nadal deserved a punch in the kisser...much less a handshake...and a hug. Wawrinka should have given him the cold shoulder...but that would have been bucking the system and nobody wants to do that...do they? Stanislas maintained his composure and exercised "tennis etiquette"...that lost facet of the tennis world. A thing of the past. The one thing that we can rightfully lament. The passing of great tradition. Higher thought. The best that Man had to offer. This is evolution? Think again. Devolution more likely.

I'm glad he beat Djokovic who shared some histrionics of his own with us in the semifinals. Andy Murray couldn't resist the sympathy grimaces as well when he went down to Roger Federer in the quarterfinals. Sadly...Roger was beaten before he even took to the court against Fafa. Mental issues. He took to the court without an actual game plan...is that possible? It certainly looked like it.

Stanislas was the most impressive "MAN" throughout the fortnight. He just so happened to be the only player "that was a MAN about it" as my old friend Leon once suggested to me. "Be a man about it Steve"...he said to me. You know what? He was absolutely right.

Stanislas Wawrinka was the only player to deserve the win the 2014 Australian Open Championships. I never saw him blink in the face of the "new tennis nobility". It is too bad that the "Big Four" revealed themselves for what they are. It undermined the true grit of the champion. All of their petty little ego issues undermined the performance of "The Man". Stan the Man.

It was overall...a bizarre tournament. The court surface and the quicker balls were largely overlooked and glossed over by all of the accounts that I have read. The effect on the play was telling and many of the sharks looked to be slightly out of water. Not in their preferred element as it was. Nadal started whimpering about the conditions before play had even begun and his exit was a total sham. It doesn't even matter if he was injured or not...it was how he played it that did matter. He played it for all that it was worth...that's for certain. It made us even forget his terrible blister for a moment. What a gladiator! He's whimpering all of the way to the bank...as I type.
    Last edited by don_budge; 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by julian1 View Post
      Please see the today's issue of New York Times (by Greg Bishop)
      I did read it. And...?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

• The Wawrinka Tatoo...

Wawrinka has a tattoo on his left forearm...a quote by Irish playwright Samuel Beckett. It reads: ‘Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.’

Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve! Sounds like something bottle would say.
        don_budge

Comment

• Nothing revolutionary

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          I did read it. And...?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Nothing revolutionary
          Berdych mentioned ONLY once.
          The author of the article to be fired.
          Kvetova ans Stepanek not mentioned.
          Switching gears:
          please see my post

It maybe interesting for you from a coaching point of view
          Last edited by julian1; 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• About the message on the Stanimal's left forearm (evidence that he has a mind and a first-rate one at that):

I've tried to live it rather than join all the forums about how better to sell oneself.

Or, as we a group of intellectual deadbeats swept up by a Beltway Bandit used to say while working for Career Consultants Inc. of Charlottesville, Virginia, "He who hollers down a well/about the goods he has to sell/will never reap the golden dollars/of him who shows them round and hollers."

That is true, but HE is also apt to have grown into a complete schmuck constantly congratulating himself on his "delightful irreverence" thinking that he is a William Buckley Jr. spin-off, never understanding that Buckley himself was never quite as delightful as his son Christopher thinks.

Or is apt to have grown into a Fred Thompson, former politician still in thrall to the sleeping Ronald Reagan. I'll take RR Jr. any time-- that guy is awake. Fred sells reverse mortgages on TV as former Redskin Joe Theismann talks all the time about getting up in the middle of the night to have to pee. (But that is a good time to sit down at one's desk.)

Man, I've never liked tattoos, but if you are going to have one, this is the one to have. Because it works. Eureka. Wawrinka!
            Last edited by bottle; 01-29-2014, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              Huge congratulations to the champion of the 2014 Australian Championships. He won the thing fair and square. He also deserves a reward for maintaining his composure when he won. Nadal deserved a punch in the kisser...much less a handshake...and a hug. Wawrinka should have given him the cold shoulder...but that would have been bucking the system and nobody wants to do that...do they? Stanislaw maintained his composure and exercised "tennis etiquette"...that lost facet of the tennis world. A thing of the past. The one thing that we can rightfully lament. The passing of great tradition. Higher thought. The best that Man had to offer. This is evolution? Think again. Devolution more likely.

I'm glad he beat Djokovic who shared some histrionics of his own with us in the semifinals. Andy Murray couldn't resist the sympathy grimaces as well when he went down to Roger Federer in the quarterfinals. Sadly...Roger was beaten before he even took to the court against Fafa. Mental issues. He took to the court without an actual game plan...is that possible? It certainly looked like it.

Stanislaw was the most impressive "MAN" throughout the fortnight. He just so happened to be the only player "that was a MAN about it" as my old friend Leon once suggested to me. "Be a man about it Steve"...he said to me. You know what? He was absolutely right.

Stanislaw Wawrinka was the only player to deserve the win the 2014 Australian Open Championships. I never saw him blink in the face of the "new tennis nobility". It is too bad that the "Big Four" revealed themselves for what they are. It undermined the true grit of the champion. All of their petty little ego issues undermined the performance of "The Man". Stan the Man.

It was overall...a bizarre tournament. The court surface and the quicker balls were largely overlooked and glossed over by all of the accounts that I have read. The effect on the play was telling and many of the sharks looked to be slightly out of water. Not in their preferred element as it was. Nadal started whimpering about the conditions before play had even begun and his exit was a total sham. It doesn't even matter if he was injured or not...it was how he played it that did matter. He played it for all that it was worth...that's for certain. It made us even forget his terrible blister for a moment. What a gladiator! He's whimpering all of the way to the bank...as I type.

Yes, I noticed the court surface, quicker balls and heat since I was there and watched many matches. It amounted to many short rallies and matches as players had an abnormal number of short points and mishits (seen some balls go over the fences into the next court). I have never seen so many mishits and balls sent into orbit. Not the best quality tennis for what the players were capable of. It was easier the last few days with cooler weather and remaining players finally getting used to the speed.

Comment

• Finally the difference between Stanimal and fed's back hand are truly exposed on a faster court surface. How many cross court winners did The animal hit to Nadal's fh anyway? He stays grounded, and the hitting foot stays down and derives great power and coil, unlike Fed, who has always lifted his hitting foot off bh side, degrounding him, taking away consistent power, and shows a real lack of confidence, which Nadal turns into routs. Nadal knew he could not do that to the animal, and he started to quit. Blamed it all on his back. Yet, there were many points he looked normal. EVery the psych queen.

When he improved his forehand, to be able to go either cc or dtl, along with the bh, he began to rise about 18 months ago. The light went on. His serve is also deadlier, a real issue, about the ability to improve at this game, jump a whole new level up, at the advanced age of 29. Inspirational. He can win Wimbledon is he steps up his volley approach game, dtl off both sides, and makes more first serves.

That's been my reason for coming onto this site, to be able to learn and improve greatly, my fh and my serve. He's my new favorite player due to this inspiring improvement!
                Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 01-29-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• Nadal's back injury...

Making news with his back injury. Milking it for all it is worth.

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of next week’s ATP tournament in Buenos Aires, posting an online video in which he apologized to both fans and organizers as he did so.
                  don_budge

Comment

• Nadal has learned to use injury timeouts as a form of gamesmanship. And the way Rafe acts, every time he loses is due to an injury or off day, rather than to the opponent being better. hmmmmm.

In the final, for a while, Wawrinka was throwing away points, allowing Nadal back into the match. Stan had to yell at himself, wake up, & reduce his errors in order to win.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7811 users online. 4 members and 7807 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X