Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnyandell
    file didn't make it
    the file is on the first page, i just downloaded it on my apartment computer.

Comment

i guess its broken or something ill upload it again.

edit: i'm surprise a lot of people aren't attaching their stuff here, this is a great thing to have.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by shootermcmarc0; 11-02-2005, 06:18 PM.

Comment

deleted post
        Last edited by shootermcmarc0; 11-04-2005, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Don't know if it's me, but I can't see any of the uploaded videos. Updated my codecs and still no joy. Is it me or are the files broken?

Comment

Yeah some people can see them. I can't! No idea why and I did the same updates on the codecs. But just download and "Save as Target" to a drive and you can view it that way.

Comment

Yeah some people can see them. I can't! No idea why and I did the same updates on the codecs. But just download and "Save as Target" to a drive and you can view it that way.
              I've gotten them to work with the "Save as Target". I'm just not as computer "literate" as some others I guess. Great site John. Thanks.

Comment

I just realized that the video I sent was uncompressed. I have a feeling thats why some people can view it and some can't. If I compressed it using MPEG-4 format, then theres a better chance people can load it properly. As soon as I can find the original file I'm gonna try again.

Comment

Originally posted by shootermcmarc0
                  I just realized that the video I sent was uncompressed. I have a feeling thats why some people can view it and some can't. If I compressed it using MPEG-4 format, then theres a better chance people can load it properly. As soon as I can find the original file I'm gonna try again.
                  shooter,

If you want to start a thread on your serve in "Your Strokes" I have a couple of thoughts you may want to consider.

FiveO

Comment

shootermcmarc0,

You need to get a much better frame rate when you capture your video. Set your shutter speed to it's highest setting.

Serve looks good in that you are getting good knee bend and excellent pronation.

What is missing is you need to drive your elbow and right side up to the sky much more. You have a very low elbow position. I uploaded a comparison of your top elbow position to Haas and Coria:
                    Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the advice jeff. yeah, my video camera is really obsolete, and i'm not sure if i can improve the quality of it. i haven't hit serves in a long time, so i bet everything is off right now

Comment

Cool. You can a good camera for under 300 bucks now. The key is to set the shutter speed high. That's a little trick John Yandell told me about and it works great. That pronation on your serve is first class. I bet you can hit some pretty big serves. Add the higher elbow position with a more collapsed elbow (Haas and Coria have about a 30 degree bend at the elbow of the hitting arm while yours is about 90 degrees) and you'll have a big weapon on your hands.

Comment

Hi,

I'm Mat and I've been playing tennis for about 2 years. I would like you to analyze my strokes and give me some advices if you have any. I'm a fan of your work John, Visual Tennis, your studies on pros, everything is so useful for a self-made player like me. I start with the most difficult stroke, my serve. I have hard times correcting two things that might be related to each other: my timing and the racquet drop (or absence of ). On the racquet drop I've just read your advice John on copying the classical Philipoussis movement, I'm gonna try that. Please have a look at the vids and then we can discuss about it.

Thanks

Mat
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here are also my backhand and forehand...
                            Attached Files

Comment

On the serve you are right. It's hard to tell because you are so small in the frame, but there's not much to discuss past the lack of the racket drop. Without it the rest is basically irrelevant. Go to the Sampras articles and learn that position physically. Now hit some balls from a full drop and see what happens. That'll be a start.

Comment

On the serve you are right. It's hard to tell because you are so small in the frame, but there's not much to discuss past the lack of the racket drop. Without it the rest is basically irrelevant. Go to the Sampras articles and learn that position physically. Now hit some balls from a full drop and see what happens. That'll be a start.
                                OK thanks for the advice. I've remarked that initially, following a course with a teaching pro I used to do a more classical loop and it actually intitiated the racquet drop. I used to have a better stroke form ! Then I started to watch Sampras and other pros and I shortened the backswind, which, combined with the will to hit stronger, led to all sorts of compensations and timing errors that now bother me, because I have hard time fighting my muscle memory. One lesson learned is that we must be careful in copying some pro strokes, as we want sometimes to take shortcuts to look like them, but we forget the basics in the process.
                                Last edited by mdhubert; 02-03-2006, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7908 users online. 3 members and 7905 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X