X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link

She's playing for herself!

Comment

I just got to say. This part is classic.

1:01, the coach Mike Depalmer, "I got to say, she's how old, (?) ... (Does not even know how old the kid is haha)

Then the best one:

"I gotta say I agree with Nick, he says she's the best 11 year old he's ever seen."

At the same time he's shaking his head like no, no and no! Darned body language!

You know what, she may have been the best at that age. Maybe THE GAME'S evolved. God, it must have! In a BIG way.

Comment

Anna Kournikova...her ankles

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
        A great talent who didn't get the URGENT help in the one aspect of her game which needed the most attention. I actually think Ana Kournikova was the greatest success story of woman's tennis in her day managing to play as long as she did, and get to # 8 overall with her foot issues. It's a testament to how good her hands really were! By the way, you should here the Russian's talk about Kournikova, their convinced she would have been better if she stayed in Moscow, worked under their sports science model and spent more years with Larissa Preborazhenskaya. I think the Russian's would have sorted out the ankle issues, as they are the white masters of speed, and in my opinion the strokes were all ready part of her DNA before she arrived in America because she was trained under pretty rigid communist training systems, and with a hell of a coach, who said she loves Anna more than another student she ever had!

Jiminy Glick is discussing Anna Kournikova with John McEnroe. Never mentions the ankle issues. She also had a preference for hockeyscout's or rather hockey players as she was seriously dating Detroit Red Wing Sergei Federov.

Here's a great shot of those poor ankles...

This girl had talent. I think we can all agree on that one thing alone...just for once. Oh...those Russians!
        Last edited by don_budge; 03-08-2014, 04:52 AM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

She was married to Fedorov in secret actually. That was the word going around at the time.

Comment

HOrnykova had two hockey players at once, both giving her millions. Looks aren't everything. They won't buy you a singles title. That's the nail on the Russian head. Or should I say, spoiled sexy hot devious cheating gorgeous stupid brat?

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
              HOrnykova had two hockey players at once, both giving her millions. Looks aren't everything. They won't buy you a singles title. That's the nail on the Russian head. Or should I say, spoiled sexy hot devious cheating gorgeous stupid brat?
              Ah, come on now. I think the media kind of threw her under the bus. She's not a bad kid. American media certainly wasn't to interested in painting her in a nice light later in her career when injuries killed her. She worked eight hours a day on the courts in Moscow as a kid. Got all the way up to # 8 despite having terrible ankles that weren't corrected. Made the semi's at Wimbledon. That's a good career, and her endorsement were off the charts. It may have been all different if she had a woman like Coach Larissa around her from 10 - 22 years of age or parents like Martina's. Pretty girl, famous, older men being very inappropriate with her, photoshoot's no young woman should be doing and handlers not protecting her from the media. It's interesting how Sharapova was handled so much better, however, the dad Yuri and the mama probably put their foot down, and I am sure Lansdorf did well by the kid and taught her right (or else). Ana's not into drugs, doesn't drink, good kid and came through it all. You know, how did we all act when we were 13 to 20, and well, say you threw in some money, had Farrah Fawcett and Madonna chasing you, and a split up family, and no male influence, how it'd all turn out?

Comment

Agree hockeyscout, just because she is Russian and good-looking, you can't put her into the stereotype image. I remember seeing her play in Roland Garros, seemed like a nice girl to me. Just look around and see how the celebrities today like Miley Cyrus....

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  Agree hockeyscout, just because she is Russian and good-looking, you can't put her into the stereotype image. I remember seeing her play in Roland Garros, seemed like a nice girl to me. Just look around and see how the celebrities today like Miley Cyrus....
                  Yah, Kournikova was nice compared to the Bieber's and Cyrus' today! Good point. You know, what annoys me about Ana is the perception she didn't work hard. That kid worked her ass off. What I found interesting in her documentary is her saying "I wish I had more fun." You know, simple words, but so true.

Its funny, the director of this tennis court got fired here in Sevastopol. Dumb decision. Old guy. Great coach, patient, positive and has that passion for his sport that's so important to me. If you're mentors love and respect the game, and the process, the kids will see it, learn from it, and steal it!

Anyways this coach (Eugene) must be 80. He can really play, has that old man muscle and hits a hard ball. I asked him once, how the hell do you do it. He said, "Christ, I have to concentrate so much to hit a ball, of course I am good. I love tennis, and I know how to focus, and I will pass that on to your kid!"

What's interesting is you never hear him EVER give a word of technical advise. He knows these words in English: "Loud. Aggressive. Wimbledon (instead of saying good, that's what he says to my kid) and MMMMMEEEE (a bad shot he says she's playing he plays the game, and laughs). And of course, mixed in is a bit of AAAAHHHHAAAA. Now he's out of a job, he charges $5 an hour (no joke, that is the coaching rate in small towns here), and I'll just let him take her to the court, give him some money to take her to movies, go visit his grand-kids and watch matches for the full day starting on the weekend. A great mentor, the two of them spent so much time watching matches, farting around, playing on the wall and doing next to nothing! He had no lessons, so he'd go and watch videos with her, play on the wall and all the rest, but what I found so interesting is how good some of these old guys are at keeping kids focused (almost like a kid watching a cartoon).

That's what these kids like Kournikova, Bieber and Cryprus really needed. Older people with a bit of perspective, focus and experience.

Now, I learned something interesting. This old man coaches the real young kids. I thought he did okay. Never thought about it. Well, the new guys they have at this place are starting to teach kids, it looks like chaos. Technique, technique, technique, long talks and you can just see the kids don't want to be there, however, the moms and dads are thinking their getting great value. The old coach could make coaching kids look so easy. Man, you sometimes don't know a real talent until you see it. His less was MORE if your thinking long term. He could make kids passionate about tennis.

Anyways, like Ana Kournikova says, she wishes she had a bit more fun, and I found that to be a real nugget. By the way Ana Kornikova, she's got an eight year old brother Allan Kournikova, he's a golfer, and he looks like a big timer. Don Budge knows a few things about golfing, but man, this kid is just out of this world good. He's all over YouTube, and hopefully his talents will be nurtured, and the mom will get the right support staff around the kid. Man, this kids golf club looks like it's an extension of his hand. He's goooood.
                  Last edited by hockeyscout; 03-09-2014, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Lolita and the Hammer to Fall....Lady Mercy won't be home tonight

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                    Yah, Kournikova was nice compared to the Bieber's and Cyrus' today! Good point. You know, what annoys me about Ana is the perception she didn't work hard. That kid worked her ass off. What I found interesting in her documentary is her saying "I wish I had more fun." You know, simple words, but so true.
                    Well she sure made it look like fun! I liked Anna...who cares if she didn't make it as far as anyone else is concerned. She sure made it as far as she is concerned. Me too! Lolita...if looks could kill. Didn't have enough fun? Get a real job...having fun yet?

You know what fun is? Petting your dog. Loving your kids. Loving your lover. Playing tennis. Living life and sucking every bit of fun out it that you can. No regrets. Puking your guts out for 30 hours and coming back to life with only one thing in mind. Get back to my job at the little club...on the court teaching people to play tennis. Love! That's what's fun! Fuck it. Lady Mercy won't be home tonight.

But sure...look at what passes for greatness these days. The lack of depth is amazing. Take a look back in time a bit. Queen for instance. Freddie Mercury. 1984 no less. I love it! Just telling it...just knocking 'em dead...just killing it. Justin and what's her name. Who cares? How impossibly irrelevant? Mere distractions...like sports and sport personalities. This planet is full of an unprecedented arrogance...without even realizing how close it stands to the brink. Without realizing how close we stand for the "Hammer to Fall". Tow their line and play their game.

"Hammer To Fall"

Here we stand or here we fall
                    History won't care at all
                    Make the bed, light the light
                    Lady Mercy won't be home tonight.

You don't waste no time at all
                    Don't hear the bell but you answer the call
                    It comes to you as to us all
                    We're just waiting
                    For the hammer to fall

Oh every night, and every day
                    A little piece of you is falling away
                    But lift your face, the Western Way -
                    Build your muscles as your body decays.

We're just waiting
                    For the hammer to fall

Tow the line and play their game
                    Let the anaesthetic cover it all
                    Till one day they call your name
                    You know it's time for the Hammer to Fall.

Rich or poor or famous for
                    Your truth it's all the same
                    Lock your door but rain is pouring
                    Through your window pane
                    Baby now your struggle's all vain.

For we who grew up tall and proud
                    In the shadow of the Mushroom Cloud
                    Convinced our voices can't be heard
                    We just wanna scream it louder and louder

We're just waiting
                    For the hammer to fall

What the hell are we fighting for?
                    Just surrender and it won't hurt at all
                    You just got time to say your prayers
                    While you're waiting for the Hammer to Fall.

The Hammer fell for Monique on her dreams. It will fall for Trump too. Baby now your struggle's all in vain. That trophy wife of yours more than likely despises you at this point in time. His marriage is all about vanity. Much of his life is all about vanity. In the end...he puts his pants on one leg at a time. The Hammer will fall.

The Hammer fell for me yesterday...fortunately I am getting up back on my feet. It knocked me for a loop. Head back up and I'm back in the game. Looking for the next train coming around the corner on a collision course. Waiting for the Hammer to fall. It fell on Freddie...he knew it was coming.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 03-11-2014, 06:55 AM.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8223 users online. 8 members and 8215 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X