Wawrinka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post

That being said it takes a kid and parents with thick skin to develop a one hander. It is just so hard for them when they are short and weak. But, they get the chance to develop other intangibles that two handers don't.
    Coaches teach the two-hander by default. It's tough to sell the one hander to the parents as it takes longer to develop, so match results aren't forthcoming. Getting non-tennis-playing parents to understand the long term benefits of the one hander can be a tough hurdle to get over.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      Coaches teach the two-hander by default. It's tough to sell the one hander to the parents as it takes longer to develop, so match results aren't forthcoming. Getting non-tennis-playing parents to understand the long term benefits of the one hander can be a tough hurdle to get over.
      Just like teaching serve and volley...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        Yes Phil. It's also knowing how to teach it. But I think both will be coming back in the future.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          Probably and even tougher hurdle...
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
            Btw, do you know why so many pros lower their tension on their crosses by 4-5lbs? That allows for less tension on the mains, allowing for more snap back, less friction stopping snap back, but you don't want too much, or the ball will leave the bed before the string tells it to. That timing is what feel is all about.

That string loses tension fast, esp. for big (god like hitters). It's only good for 20 minutes, and its nubs wear off in that time as well, so the spin effect goes away once they do, and spin is king on clay. I don't advocate lowering tension on clay. (Look what that did for Sampras.) He only made one french semi, at the age of 20 or so. As far as his frame, I'd prefer him to use a 98 sq. in. frame, 18/20, ra of 65, 22mm beam width, mass of 365g. The yonex v core specs:

98 sq. in. / 632.26 sq. cm.
            Length: 27in / 68.58cm
            Strung Weight: 11.3oz / 320.35g Not his
            Balance: 6 pts HL
            Swingweight: 309 Not his.
            Stiffness: 65
            Beam Width: 22.5mm / 22.5mm / 22mm /
            Composition: H.M. Graphite / X-Fullerene
            Power Level: Low-Medium
            Stroke Style: Full
            Swing Speed: Fast
            Racquet Colors:
            Red / White / Black
            Grip Type: Yonex Synthetic Grip
            String Pattern:
            16 Mains / 20 Crosses
            Mains skip: 8T, 8H
            Two Pieces
            No Shared Holes
            String Tension: 50-65 pounds

So he's pretty close to what I'd recommend. I called fed's change months before he made it, while Annacone was outwardly saying that people recommending fed to switch to a larger frame, higher tension didn't know what they were talking about! See my thread here: Hey, federer-er-er, adapt or die!

Waw's bh is an argument for the one hander being more viable than the two hander. Too many people believe, that due to the extra strength needed for high bh shots, on the deltoids, that it's not viable. I call him to be #1 at the end of the year, and to win the french.
            Jeff, do you know Stans

racquet weight and swing weight?

Comment

I believe it's about 360g strung. Fed won't play the french. Djokovic's wrist will still be hurt. Nadal is the biggest threat still. Anyone winning the french will have to take his short shots and gun them first to Nadal's fh side, and then the bh off the next short ball.

Comment

Wawrinka's grip:

He uses two over grips, which would bump up total mass by 12g, and affect swing weight as well. Note the thick 1/4" over lap.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7888 users online. 7 members and 7881 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X