Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

String tension loss: Question for Geoff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Are those frames what you call "prototypes"?
    These frames are actually Head Prestige Classics from early 90's (Ivanisevic, Rosset Era). I had my racquet tech paint them black and added some silicone weight in handle and more wight around the head. The frame we modeled mine after was Mark Philippoussis' (I owned one of his old sticks) but after a few hitting sessions we determined I needed more weight and a slightly bigger grip. 4 5/8 leather grip with an overgrip is where it stands currently.

My racquet tech does Baghdatis' frames as well.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...=448101&page=3

But yes, those are normally what prototypes look like. All black. That was one reason I decided on the paint job. Wanted it to be simple and no frills. Not a fan of the cosmetics of modern day racquets. I'm into marketing as much as the next guy but I dont need graphics and holograms and swirls to persuade me on a racquet. I simply need to hit the damn ball with a frame that is solid and trustworthy. As it stands, I have 4 frames that are the exact same weight, balance and alike in every other spec imaginable. In the rare case I break strings, I can use another frame without any doubts it will perform and feel the exact same as my previous one. Once you go with customized frames, you never go back.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Yes! I did. Solid frame. Will be getting 2 in October.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      My pt57as:

pt57 a 1.

I liked them string with gut mains, and nrg2 crosses, for volley touch/feel. Murray uses the pt57a still, but in a 16 x 19 drill pattern, with alu power/vs touch: 61/59lbs. and it's a 98 sq. in. Very good control frame, with a strung RA of about 61-2 at 58lbs. There's a reason why I asked you to try vs touch/alu power rough hybrid job. The L-tec string is a step up from alu power.
      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-30-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Geoff,

Yup. I liked the combo. Really good frames but the string combo was nice as well. Thanks for the tip.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

The full alu power rough sweet spot movement is larger than many copolys out now. For big hitters that movement is deadly to their consistency. That's why pros change so often, they hit big and use leaded/siliconed frames to absorb the punishment so their elbows don't. The softer jelly like (when dried) silicone is the best for customization. There are two tricks to use with alu to combat that drift. One: loosen the top three crosses a bit. Two: skip 2nd to last cross, go to last cross, xcome back to 2nd to last cross, and bump up the tension on those last three pulls and adapt for knot tension loss. ON the mains, do the same to last three on each side. Then tell me how much longer that lasts. Deadly to the frame if you let it slip at all, as he will crack peripherally on obtuse last pulls.

Comment

I have the lead and silicone jelly in the frames. I restring them once a week. Will loosen top three crosses and follow the other techniques. I normally bump up the last mains a few pounds anyways to account for more tension loss near edge of frame. Thanks Geoff. Will let you know.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

A friend of mine who is a stringer has put Babolat RPM Blast on my racket and I will test it today. I had it strung with 53 lbs. Will play today.

Am using the RacquetTune app and will monitor the tension loss over the next couple of weeks. Will post a statistic.

To get a proper measurement of the tension with the app, one needs to enter this data:

http://appmaker.se/Webbplats/rt_strings.html

Not having the value of Babolat RPM Blast, I can just choose a value and measure the comparative loss of tension.

Are you familiar with this type of string data Geoff? If so, would you by any chance have the value for Babolat RPM Blast? Thanks, Phil

Comment

I played today, and measured after playing. The initial loss is 2 pounds after one day.

Comment

Don't have that app data. Should have been more loss after one hitting session. When coaches feed, they don't hit hard anyway, so any string will last for that. When I hit with it, it lasts about 1/2hr or so, then the nubs have worn off and it gets too loose.

There are 59 ratings on joesstringforum, with a 71% satifaction rate, and a 1 star rating on tension loss. Harder hitters lose tension faster, higher tension faster, stiffer frames faster, open patterns faster such as 16 x 19. It was fine for 1/2hr!

Here is the T1 fw rating page: http://www.stringforum.net/ratings.p...4966&fstatus=0 100% from (in the 1.20mm gauge) 27 testers with 3 star tension loss rating. This string is best at a couple lbs under your normal tension, and takes an hour to break in unless hybrid with poly star energy.
                  Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I made a mistake: loss is 3.8 lbs.

I found the factor for Babolat RPM blast: 1.61

The tension reading is not the same as the setting on the stringing machine. The app measures the string tension in the finished racket.

Doesn't really matter, because important are the comparative measurements to see the loss of tension.

Comment

When I hit with it it seemed to lose 10lbs in 1/2hr. But I was playing a 5.0, and working on serving/returning drills. Those are the first strike, hardest hits.

Comment

Also I only played 20 minutes with it, since I initially played 40 minutes with the luxilon string. But I do like the feel of it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8232 users online. 8 members and 8224 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X