No announcement yet.

Racket Head Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this due to the whip action, ie sudden deceleration, which whips the racket forward and across the ball on impact?

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
      I tend to agree with much of what this guy says....For the reasons he states..However, (with lessons) I try to establish a few other things, before I give them a license to "press the envelope" in terms of maxing out RHS.

One is what I call "shaping" swings. That is, learning to change the path and the amount of hand and arm rotation to add, or subtract, topspin. There's basically an inverse relationship between spin and velocity, and without a working knowledge as to how to manipulate these two elements, I'm not sure max RHS is a great idea..With the power of modern day racquets, if a player does not know how to direct the RHS to spin sufficiently...they actually become much more inconsistent.

I also spend alot of time teaching people "when" to accelerate or release the racquet ( lag) to achieve RHS. What I've seen over the years (with students) when asked for more RHS, is a process that starts too early (often times in the backswing) and too labor intensive. (in a muscular sense) The reason great players look so relaxed is because they are NOT trying to accelerate the racquet (much) until very close to contact. I think if you look at RHS profiles, the bulk of acceleration will occur very late in the swing. By doing so a player can be relaxed, rhythmic, and can "line" up the ball much better, thus improving the contact quality.

In the above picture, the racquet head will only now really begin to pick up speed. Just my 02 cents.
      Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      10splayer,

Correct. For example on the serve the racket head speed triples in the last 1/10th of a second before contact. Don't have the numbers but I am sure it's similar on the other strokes. You don't "build" speed gradually. You set yourself up to explode.
      these two posts sum up exactly what it's all about. I get my players to understand these ideas first. 10splayer and John, great posts. Great contributions. As usual.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        10splayer,

Correct. For example on the serve the racket head speed triples in the last 1/10th of a second before contact. Don't have the numbers but I am sure it's similar on the other strokes. You don't "build" speed gradually. You set yourself up to explode.
        Yup, good parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          these two posts sum up exactly what it's all about. I get my players to understand these ideas first. 10splayer and John, great posts. Great contributions. As usual.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            agree, "as usual"

Comment

Here's a buddy of mine hitting...Played a little Davis Cup back in the day, and illustrates the point I'm trying to make. Relaxed, rhythmic in the backswing and really pours it on towards contact....Really knows how to use the tool. Nice action, effortlessly heavy ball.
              Last edited by 10splayer; 10-23-2014, 07:08 AM.

Comment

http://youtu.be/_xPhB9RXj2s

Here's a buddy of mine hitting...Played a little Davis Cup back in the day, and illustrates the point I'm trying to make. Relaxed, rhythmic in the backswing and really pours it on towards contact....Really knows how to use the tool. Nice action, effortlessly heavy ball.
                Yes I see what you mean. He has a lot of time on the ball too. I like the way he pads around on his toes...not overdoing it or under doing it...just timing the ball and practicing. He shots certainly repeat and the ball sticks to the racket.

I get the whole when to pull the trigger thing. I think players have to develop time on the ball to do it so well as your friend. Like Chris Lewitt says, get the turn in quick.

Thanks for sharing. That's a lovely clip to show us.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  Yes I see what you mean. He has a lot of time on the ball too. I like the way he pads around on his toes...not overdoing it or under doing it...just timing the ball and practicing. He shots certainly repeat and the ball sticks to the racket.

I get the whole when to pull the trigger thing. I think players have to develop time on the ball to do it so well as your friend. Like Chris Lewitt says, get the turn in quick.

What does it mean to pad on his toes? Please, explain?
                  Last edited by hockeyscout; 10-24-2014, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Very nice indeed. Great hitter, he makes it look so easy...

Comment

Yes, he really releases into contact, very relaxed and efficient looking

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

"Not overdoing it or under doing it". Exactly!!!The interesting part is that even under duress and the emergencies of playing, he maintains this..

He's a bit deceiving in that as much as he glides around in such an efficient way, his forehand really packs a punch when he wants to step on it.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          Yup, he really holds his angles well till the last moment...

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                            echolalia?

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                              echolalia?
                              Douche rocket? "Someone who exceeds the rating of douche bag by such a phenomenal level that they must have been launched into douchebagedness by some form of highly flammable fuel"
                              Last edited by 10splayer; 10-24-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I weep.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8171 users online. 5 members and 8166 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X