No announcement yet.

2014 BNP Paribas Masters…ATP 1000…Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raonic shocked many people, including himself and Roger Federer yesterday. Giving the serving performance of his life and beating Federer 7-6, 7-5. Federer was not too disappointed as he has much bigger fish to fry.

Djokovic dispatched a motivated but physically drained Andy Murrray. Nothing to see here.

Nishikori and Ferrer battled in a must win match for the Spaniard to stay in the race to London. Ferrer had the lead and looked like he would extend the Race to London drama one more day. But Nishikori fought back in the tie-break and took it in the 3rd set thus guaranteeing him and Milos Raonic in the final spots in London.

Berdych was up and down against Anderson in a match that quite frankly struggled to keep my attention. Berdych was a bit nervous as often times during the meeting he would throw in a highly inconvenient double fault. He was down a set and came back to level the match winning the 2nd set after securing an early break in the 2nd set. He then was broken in the 3rd set in what looked like a real disaster. But in the next game he came back and broke again. Berdych seemed nervous, but never worried as it appeared he could raise his level at any time against Anderson. When you've beaten a guy 11 times in a row you have that heir of confidence. Make that 12 times in a row. Berdych wins 6-4 in 3rd set.

So for semi-final Saturday...

Berdych vs. Raonic
    Djokovic vs. Nishikori

All players deserving of their semi-final place. Let's see who takes it one step further. Time for New Daddy Djokovic to exact revenge on Nishikori after that US Open upset. For Raonic, will he have a let down after his first career victory over Federer? If Raonic served like he did yesterday, Berdych won't stand a chance.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Leif Shiras...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Raonic shocked many people, including himself and Roger Federer yesterday. Giving the serving performance of his life and beating Federer 7-6, 7-5. Federer was not too disappointed as he has much bigger fish to fry.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I am learning a new word. The word is "recovery". In my weekly or semi-weekly conversations with my father we are constantly evaluating our physical conditions and advising one another on body management. It isn't an exact science…but we are vigilant.

Tennis players and coaches alike often come down with a niggle here or a niggle there. I have one here and there…a hip and a knee. As I said earlier physiotherapists have prescribed several exercises for me to rehabilitate myself. They seem to be working wonders but the other things is I have had the week off. REST. RECOVERY. My body is getting a chance to recover.

Prior to Roger Federer's match with Milos Raonic Leif Shiras was discussing this very topic with Annabelle Croft and Barry Cowan…or was it Peter Fleming? At any rate he talked of a conversation that he had with Federer the day after his five set marathon with Gael Monfils. Federer is starting to feel it. The aging process is taking effect and his body is in decline. He relishes a couple of days of rest now…he has been on quite a run lately. In the past couple of weeks. Now he needs to rest…and recover.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

I watched that match and the two previous matches as well from Paris. Roger was missing the magic that he had conjured up in Shanghai and Basel. He was half a step slower and quite possibly trying to manage a niggle or two. He didn't look sharp against Jeremy Chardy and the kid from France…Poille…gave him a bit more trouble than he should have. Roger played Milos a little soft yesterday…which is not to take anything away from the lumbering Canuck.

It always hurts to see Federer lose because he is the main draw in tennis these days. Say what you want the rest of them are bit players in a sense. They all play the same game and it is monotonous and boring. When I was in Paris watching Milos Raonic and Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinals this summer I needed six cups of coffee to stay awake…and that was with a beautiful Russian woman sitting next to me that smelled good. But take a look at the remaining players. Novak Djokovic, Kei Nishikori, Tomas Berdych and Milos Raonic. Two hand backhand, strong gripped forehand and very little inclination to go to the net. Where is the diversity that is so mandatory in the year of 2014?

So Roger is off resting. Then he is going to meticulously prepare for London which starts next week…he get a week to rest and prepare. If he happens to meet Milos Raonic in London so much the better. He will have built a little revenge incentive into the equation and Milos will be a bit surprised when Roger resumes the fury of his new resurgence.

Leif Shiras also picked Milos Raonic to win yesterday in the face of the odds. But he knew something that we don't. He had discussed Roger's attitude about his ability to recover from matches or long stretches of play. He saw the signs too of Roger's performance this week. He didn't have that look that he has maintained for a couple of weeks now. But he will be back…in London. He still thinks that there is a chance for him to finish the year at number one. But his biggest and more realistic goal may be another win in London. He may have had to rule out certain potential victories to create a bigger picture or one that he can legitimately manage and a victory in London just might be the most likely scenario he could come up with.

I am more impressed with the knowledge and insights of Leif too. He is less apt to deliver hyperbole and gives it to you straight while he lets the play talk for itself as much as possible.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Leif Shiras…on Tomas Berdych

"I think that tells you that in his heart he thinks of himself as a baseliner. He doesn't think of himself as an all court player."

After 7 of 8 successful ventures to the net as to why he doesn't go to the net more often. Mentally he doesn't see himself there. Raonic versus Berdych…two big athletes duelling it out from the baseline. Both are playing the junior game with the two hand backhand and lack of diverse tactics on the serve.
        don_budge

Comment

Leif Shiras…on Tomas Berdych (cont.)

"He sacrificed that racquet after a disastrous service game."

Two double faults…a forehand error…a backhand error. Smashed racquet. What a shame. He was playing with Milos tit for tat and then a lapse and it is over. That's tennis.
          don_budge

Comment

Speaking of Recovery...

Kei Nishikori may just be running on empty against Novak Djokovic. He has lost the first set in half an hour with barely a whimper…6-2. He has played three consecutive three set matches with the latest a down to the wire duel against the "EveryReady Energizer Bunny" David Ferrer…36 76 64. Kei expended every drop of energy he had defeating the plucky Spaniard late at night in Paris last night. There was no way he could recover to make a fight of it against in form, well rested Novak Djokovic.

Novak also has a couple of really good mental incentives in the revenge department going. He is looking to even up their head to head score at 2-2. More importantly he is looking to set the record straight with regards to the summer's semifinal at the U. S. Open. Look for Novak to drive the point home.

But don't count out Nishikori until the final point is won. Until the horse is in the barn. Novak knows this of course…the Samurai Kid is dangerous at all times.
            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              "He sacrificed that racquet after a disastrous service game."

Two double faults…a forehand error…a backhand error. Smashed racquet. What a shame. He was playing with Milos tit for tat and then a lapse and it is over. That's tennis.
              That was ugly. He had him. I nearly smashed my racquet as well. But Then I realized...There is always next week. Credit for Raonic for not forcing it...letting Berdych implode...right on cue.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

I am more impressed with the knowledge and insights of Leif too. He is less apt to deliver hyperbole and gives it to you straight while he lets the play talk for itself as much as possible.
                Yes, I too am a big fan of Leif. He's grounded. He has his ear to the ground as well.

Mile Maclagan often has a different take on things and can be interesting. He too has his ear to the ground and has a good sense of form of all the players.
                Stotty

Comment

It's in the mail…Tomas Berdych

That was ugly. He had him. I nearly smashed my racquet as well. But Then I realized...There is always next week. Credit for Raonic for not forcing it...letting Berdych implode...right on cue.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  It's ok. I am glad that he smashed that damn racquet. A bit of McEnroe…what the fuck. Give 'em hell Tomas. Maybe what he needs is to be a bit pissed off. Maybe a lot pissed off. I have maintained that he appears to be a nice fellow…maybe too nice.

He was in the hunt. Playing Milos Raonic is a real conundrum with that big serve. You should have heard Peter Fleming assessing Milos Raonic and his game. Peter is an astute fellow…I like him a lot. At least as much as Leif Shiras. In fact I think that they would make a great team.

Tomas is playing the wrong game. He is playing the junior game. He needs to man-up now and be a man about it. Like my old friend Leon told me once.

Let's give Tomas a make over and see what we can come up with. By the way Kyle…it's in the mail.
                  don_budge

Comment

Janey…don't you lose heart

It's ok. I am glad that he smashed that damn racquet. A bit of McEnroe…what the fuck.
                    Oh I know…the hoity toity crowd. He smashed his racquet. That wasn't nice. Poor sportsmanship. Loss of control. Gasp! He's a little wild isn't he…hmmm. That's interesting.

Oh please…get over it. Spare me. Finally some genuine emotion. Somebody actually cares? I'm sick and tired of this same old…same old. Bring it on. The guy is actually a human being. He has a heart afterall.

Ok…now for a lesson on being demonstrative. Don't save it for the end…timing is everything. He should have smashed the damn thing after the first double fault. Let your opponent know you are not tolerating any dumb shit…especially from your own self. You don't have to smash the damn thing either…toss it down on the ground with disdain. Give it a good old talking too…an expletive or two. Nothing that will melt the women or the children in the crowd…but chew that stupid racquet out for not behaving. Hand gestures…think Nastase.

But smashing it after the fact is a lost gesture. Then he carried the carcass to the net with him. What the hell…might as well give a meaningful toss over to your chair. If you are going to make a gesture…follow through.

By smashing that racquet Tomas gives me hope. I only wish that I could help him with a makeover. Those commentators were getting warm about the things they were talking about with Tomas but they didn't go far enough. Don't you lose heart klacr…Tomas showed us he has one. Finally.

Dedicated to Janey wherever you are. You were the kindest and the sweetest heart. We listened to this song together…so many years ago. God Bless you. I love Paris…so much.

Last edited by don_budge; 11-02-2014, 07:25 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

Novak Djokovic…Redux French Open…Paris Again!

I saw the two of them play earlier in the year in Paris. At the 2014 French Open in the quarterfinals. The result was much the same…a dominating victory for Novak Djokovic. He has the type of game where he can absorb punishment and then just as quickly turn it back around…straight at you. He seems to anticipate the Milos Raonic serve better than anyone else as evidenced with his breaking the serve seemingly at will. Novak takes the tournament with a 62 63 shellacking of Milos Raonic in the final.

Milos Raonic had a break through week this week in Paris. He had a break through year in 2014. Peter Fleming and Leif Shiras had many interesting things to say about him…including comments about his coach. Much of their discussion mirrored my thoughts that I posted earlier in GeoffWilliams thread. Not that I need validation…but it was so interesting to hear these two astute tennis minds at work.

It would have been nice to see Roger in the final here. klacr thinks it would have been nice to see Tomas in the final. As it was…it was nice to see Milos Raonic in the final. He is a newcomer as a contender. This game needs more contenders as it gets boring to have the same four week in and week out contesting for the hardware…for the trophies. Ivan Ljubicic has had some excellent input to the Raonic game. Listening to the tennis experts on coaching the stars was quite validating.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 11-02-2014, 08:38 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

Another choke job by Tbyrd. At least he didn't throw it into the crowd ala Big Mac, and hit the king of Sweden!

Raonic would be serving and volleying if the balls and the surfaces were faster, and that's the solution to the death of serve and volley. Equipment being equal, the speed of play is the issue.

The robotically consistent ground strokers cannot be beaten other wise. So, hear me tennis gods of court and ball: speed things up, or the public interest in the boring matches, without Sampras/Agassi, without McEnroe/Borg constrast, will wane, and manufacturers will sell fewer items, and make less money. Money will drive the change, and only that.
                        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-02-2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

No argument from me on the choke job from Tberd. At least he admitted it in post match press room. Accept it and move it. To play at that level, you need to have some short term memory. Even when you are one of the best in the world, you are still losing every week.

I'm usually not one for blatant and uncalled for abuse and antics on the tennis court but I smiled when I saw Berdych go richter on that racquet of his. If any player was given a pass to smash a racquet, it should be him. Actually wish he did it more. He can be a bit cold and robotic on court. Passion is good. Emotion is good.

Djokovic gave to Raonic what Federer and Berdych could not. A supreme spanking and lesson in returning serve. Djokjovic's ability to neutralize a first serve and punish a 2nd serve that was less than perfect and risky was superb.Exploiting Raonic's every weakness and imposing his will. This match was never in doubt. To top it all off, Djokovic recorded his 600th career win on the ATP Tour and put himself about 1300 points ahead of Federer in race for #1.

Check your Private messages don_budge

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Recovery Time...

I'm usually not one for blatant and uncalled for abuse and antics on the tennis court but I smiled when I saw Berdych go richter on that racquet of his. If any player was given a pass to smash a racquet, it should be him. Actually wish he did it more. He can be a bit cold and robotic on court. Passion is good. Emotion is good.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            The 2014 BNP Paribas Masters was an excellent tournament any way you slice it. Granted the tennis itself is terminally boring if you have anything to compare it to. It's difficult for me to understand how anyone could seriously be entertained by such a one dimensional style of play. Only Roger Federer is able to separate himself from the herd.

It's all the same. It's the junior game only with testosterone. Death of serve and volley my you know what…it's the death of tennis. Period. The forecourt has virtually been eliminated from the game and when a player happens to make a play at the net or a half-volley for heaven's sake…the commentators go hog wild as if it was the second coming or something.

Kei Nishikori had a rather interesting tournament and it sort of emphasizes his relative strengths and weaknesses. He has been rather vulnerable to injuries throughout his career and this tournament sort of shows how that may be so. He had three three setters in a row and each of them was a real grinder. First of all it was Tommy Robredo who succumbed 63 46 76, then it was the Baby Bull of France Jo-Wilfred Tsonga 62 46 62 and finally it was the "EveryReady Energizer Bunny" David Ferrer 36 76 64. Not exactly your energy conservative route to the semifinals when you have to face the impeccable defensive machine of Novak Djokovic. That is way too much pounding on the body to take to have anything left in reserve. While it is admirable to be able to grind down your opponents it has a price tag on it.

Recovery becomes a key word in the world of competitive tennis. I don't know of any other sport that contestants are called upon to make Herculean efforts in so many consecutive days. While the three out of five Grand Slam events are certainly monumental efforts in terms of endurance, these events that draw the top players are feats of toughness as well. Novak Djokovic emerged unscathed. He never lost a set. He won by virtue of his management…playing every point and every situation smart without wasting any energy.

Federer found himself short of what it took and he sort of meekly laid down for Milos Raonic. Raonic for his part overcame Tomas Berdych in an exciting three set semifinal but it he too found himself short of recovery time when it came time to face Novak in the finals. Novak knows how to take full advantage of an opponent who is less than one hundred percent. He mowed down two consecutive opponents who were decidedly still recovering from their previous matches.
                            don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2655 users online. 6 members and 2649 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X