X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Square…a set apiece

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    Hmmm....4-6
    A tight second set to boot. Wawrinka serving to stay in the second misses a backhand volley wide by an inch….0-15. He moves in behind a nice crosscourt backhand slice approach and forehand volleys deep into Roger's forehand but Roger cuts it off in the air and Wawrinka misses. Then Wawrinka misses a fairly easy overhead in the net and he nets a backhand to lose the set.

The most exciting set of the week…said Peter Fleming.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What kind of an overrule was that! My final is in jeopardy again...
      Stotty

Comment

Tough Call...

What kind of an overrule was that! My final is in jeopardy again...
        It was a terrible overrule. We shall see what Roger is made of. Wawrinka has been the more aggressive player for the match. It will make it difficult to have the confidence to pull this out.
        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          It was a terrible overrule. We shall see what Roger is made of. Wawrinka has been the more aggressive player for the match. It will make it difficult to have the confidence to pull this out.
          While Wawrinka's 1st serve percentage remains low, there must still be hope,
          Stotty

Comment

4-5 in the third...crunch time
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Djokovic with a hiccup in 2nd set but let's be honest, was this match ever in doubt?

Federer vs. Wawrinka. A gorgeous forehand vs. a gorgeous backhand. Who wins? Fed has been in scary form, wawrinka not so much. Swiss friends turn into swiss enemies today. I'm picking Roger in straights.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Hmmm....4-6
              LOL. What do I know?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Phew...what Wawrinka would do for a 1st serve tonight (toss has been so low on his first serve yet not his second...weird).
                Stotty

Comment

Phew...
                  Stotty

Comment

One Question...

Phew...
                    What's he got left?
                    don_budge

Comment

Does anyone think the finals won't be Federer-Djokovic?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Didn't think so.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

The Paraphrase Technique…it was interesting

Does anyone think the finals won't be Federer-Djokovic? Should be interesting.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        There certainly were some moments when it was in doubt last night. Stan Wawrinka had his doubts…he thought he had it in the bag. Roger Federer had his doubts as he felt it slipping through his fingers. What drama. When one says that tennis is a unique game and somebody doesn't understand…show him a replay of this little dandy. What a game.

The final score was 46, 75, 76…but that is only the beginning. Or rather that is only the ending. The beginning has been in the works for months…parts of it for years. Here are two Swiss Davis Cup partners who in a short while will be tied by their cosmic umbilical cords…last night they were fighting each other tooth and nail. Giving no quarter and asking for none in return.

Anyone with half a brain would have picked Federer in straight sets…but that is the funny business about this game. These guys are human. Stan for some reason felt that the occasion was his and he played like it. Roger on the other hand for all intents and purposes should have felt that the night belonged to him but he was coming up short…for whatever reason. All that I have been talking about is preparation…on and on and on. Then…for some crazy reason we are reminded that humans and rodents have the same problem in life sometimes. The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Wawrinka took the first set as Federer showed some nerves and some tentative play. Wawrinka smelled blood and he went for the kill…first set to Stan on account of his assertiveness. When I used to be a manager in a Quality Control department at the Ford Motor Company I used to tell my employees that the only "ass" that was going to get anyone anywhere was assertiveness. No ass-kissing…thank you.

Federer knew he was in a dog fight and he switched gears from high wire acrobat to street fighter and he just eked out the second set. Never mind the particulars because none of it matters until you come to one of the first games or first points in the third and decider. The freaking dumbum in the umpire chair overruled on a Wawrinka ball that he had hit wide…the idiot called it in. But Roger didn't seem to be aware of the overrule and he lost the count in the score.

When he woke up…he was down a break just like that in the most important set of the whole entire year. Suddenly he was one of us…he was screwed. Just like you and I every single day of the year…the cards are stacked against us and the men in control take great delight in giving us a collective screwing. After some deep soul searching Roger knew he was fucked and he was just going to have to make the best of it and no matter what he wasn't going to cave in to the deep dark psychological forces that were compelling him to do all kinds of counterproductive things to get even…with the idiot in the chair.

Needless to say that did nothing to help his confidence but he showed us and most importantly himself…he has what it takes. It takes balls to be a tough tennis player and he showed everyone at the O2, including his partner across the net, including his wife for the umpteenth time, his new coach…he showed everyone that he has intestinal fortitude and he can deal with misfortune. He can deal with bad luck. He can deal with the bump in the road. He fought against being his own worst enemy. He got on with it. He fought with all of his heart when the demons were working on him. When Stan was applying the screws on the other end. He was what Don Budge was on the day in London when he fought and duelled the Baron Gottfried Von Cramm until the last point when he passed the German down the line and ended up face down on the grass at Wimbledon in a Davis Cup match…he was the ultimate of tennis players.
                        don_budge

Comment

The Question Remains...

What's he got left?
                          What's he got left? The key operative word is…recovery. Remember?
                          don_budge

Comment

Novak Djokovic...

Novak was at home eating popcorn in bed…he said that was how he was going to watch the match. He was sharpening his claws too.
                            don_budge

Comment

There certainly were some moments when it was in doubt last night. Stan Wawrinka had his doubts…he thought he had it in the bag. Roger Federer had his doubts as he felt it slipping through his fingers. What drama. When one says that tennis is a unique game and somebody doesn't understand…show him a replay of this little dandy. What a game.

The final score was 46, 75, 76…but that is only the beginning. Or rather that is only the ending. The beginning has been in the works for months…parts of it for years. Here are two Swiss Davis Cup partners who in a short while will be tied by their cosmic umbilical cords…last night they were fighting each other tooth and nail. Giving no quarter and asking for none in return.

Anyone with half a brain would have picked Federer in straight sets…but that is the funny business about this game. These guys are human. Stan for some reason felt that the occasion was his and he played like it. Roger on the other hand for all intents and purposes should have felt that the night belonged to him but he was coming up short…for whatever reason. All that I have been talking about is preparation…on and on and on. Then…for some crazy reason we are reminded that humans and rodents have the same problem in life sometimes. The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Wawrinka took the first set as Federer showed some nerves and some tentative play. Wawrinka smelled blood and he went for the kill…first set to Stan on account of his assertiveness. When I used to be a manager in a Quality Control department at the Ford Motor Company I used to tell my employees that the only "ass" that was going to get anyone anywhere was assertiveness. No ass-kissing…thank you.

Federer knew he was in a dog fight and he switched gears from high wire acrobat to street fighter and he just eked out the second set. Never mind the particulars because none of it matters until you come to one of the first games or first points in the third and decider. The freaking dumbum in the umpire chair overruled on a Wawrinka ball that he had hit wide…the idiot called it in. But Roger didn't seem to be aware of the overrule and he lost the count in the score.

When he woke up…he was down a break just like that in the most important set of the whole entire year. Suddenly he was one of us…he was screwed. Just like you and I every single day of the year…the cards are stacked against us and the men in control take great delight in giving us a collective screwing. After some deep soul searching Roger knew he was fucked and he was just going to have to make the best of it and no matter what he wasn't going to cave in to the deep dark psychological forces that were compelling him to do all kinds of counterproductive things to get even…with the idiot in the chair.

Needless to say that did nothing to help his confidence but he showed us and most importantly himself…he has what it takes. It takes balls to be a tough tennis player and he showed everyone at the O2, including his partner across the net, including his wife for the umpteenth time, his new coach…he showed everyone that he has intestinal fortitude and he can deal with misfortune. He can deal with bad luck. He can deal with the bump in the road. He fought against being his own worst enemy. He got on with it. He fought with all of his heart when the demons were working on him. When Stan was applying the screws on the other end. He was what Don Budge was on the day in London when he fought and duelled the Baron Gottfried Von Cramm until the last point when he passed the German down the line and ended up face down on the grass at Wimbledon in a Davis Cup match…he was the ultimate of tennis players.
                              Do you have any idea what kind of off the charts writer you are? I could read you all day....

Keep these threads going, the analysis, observations, etc are fantastic.

Damn, you're really starting to grow on me.

Your arch nemesis

10splayer

Comment

Good Cop…Bad Cop

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                                Your arch nemesis

10splayer
                                Thanks Brother!

Roger Federer is announcing that he cannot play tonight. Well…not surprise. I was telling someone today that if I had played a match like he did last night it would take me six months to recover. After I got out of the hospital. That's life. That's tennis. What a match it was though…there can be no regrets. You just pick up and go on.
                                Last edited by don_budge; 11-16-2014, 09:44 AM.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1023 users online. 4 members and 1019 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X