Roger Federer
    Andy Murray
    Kei Nishikori
    Milos Raonic

Novak Djokovic
    Stanislas Wawrinka
    Tomas Berdych
    Marin Cilic

This is a made for television event…made for streaming event. The year end gala. It's a party…designed to kick off a party season. But the party is waning…it's almost over.

A lot to consider with all of the recent events. A couple of good questions to answer. I don't have all of the answers but I certainly have a couple of very good questions.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

If Djokovic goes 3-0 in Round Robin play, he will clinch the #1 year-end ranking.

Djokovic is a combined 41-5 against the rest of his group.

Federer has won the event 6 times 9all-time record) In 5 of those 6 titles, he went undefeated.

If Federer makes it to the finals, It will be his 9th time in the world tour finals, which would tie him with Lendl for the most all time.

Should be interesting.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

It is interesting: 2014 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals…ATP 1500...London, England

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Should be interesting.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Tennis is truly a unique sport in a number of different ways. It is so easy to write a story about a tennis tournament. We can speak of its technical aspects in terms of science and we can also expand upon and discuss the more ethereal elements such as philosophy, art, psychology and even historical aspects as sort of a intellectual pursuit. The drama is unique to other sports as well. The tournament is usually in the course of one or two weeks. Golf is much the same.

Even the change in venues and formats is truly unique. But the lines never change…even though the equipment has. Gods gift to mankind in terms of recreation. Tennis is golf on the run. Can you imagine running up to your golf ball and taking a swing in one motion?

Remember "Happy Gilmer"? That Adam Sandler sure is funny. In a moronic sort of way. It was so hilarious when he punched Bob Barker in the kisser…don't you think so? No? Maybe it's an acquired taste. Like drinking Scotch. Or chewing tobacco. hahah…a golfer with a hockeyplayer mentality. I find THAT funny. Sort of like polo…without the pony. Basketball without a hoop. Tennis without a racquet. That's interesting…too. Don't you think so?

I couldn't agree with you more…my friend. This is going to be interesting.
      Last edited by don_budge; 11-05-2014, 12:50 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        Tennis is truly a unique sport in a number of different ways. It is so easy to write a story about a tennis tournament. We can speak of its technical aspects in terms of science and we can also expand upon and discuss the more ethereal elements such as philosophy, art, psychology and even historical aspects as sort of a intellectual pursuit. The drama is unique to other sports as well. The tournament is usually in the course of one or two weeks. Golf is much the same.

Even the change in venues and formats is truly unique. But the lines never change…even though the equipment has. Gods gift to mankind in terms of recreation. Tennis is golf on the run. Can you imagine running up to your golf ball and taking a swing in one motion?

Remember "Happy Gilmer"? That Adam Sandler sure is funny. In a moronic sort of way. It was so hilarious when he punched Bob Barker in the kisser…don't you think so? No? Maybe it's an acquired taste. Like drinking Scotch. Or chewing tobacco. hahah…a golfer with a hockeyplayer mentality. I find THAT funny. Sort of like polo…without the pony. Basketball without a hoop. Tennis without a racquet. That's interesting…too. Don't you think so?

I couldn't agree with you more…my friend. This is going to be interesting.
        Here is the link:

Wish we could go to London. We had it planned. Wanted to buy a decent racket and strings as we're playing with third world equipment right now. Afraid to order anything in cause it never gets through flipping customs. Guess we will have to make a trip into Prague at the end of the month just myself, and the child, and leave everyone else at home. However, war in Ukraine, and embassy's have just stopped processing visa's, so we've had to cancel. Third time unlucky now for mama! Grigor did not make it either, so that's sad for me as he's my favorite player.
        Last edited by hockeyscout; 11-05-2014, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Roger Federer…jockeying for position

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          Federer found himself short of what it took and he sort of meekly laid down for Milos Raonic. Raonic for his part overcame Tomas Berdych in an exciting three set semifinal but it he too found himself short of recovery time when it came time to face Novak in the finals. Novak knows how to take full advantage of an opponent who is less than one hundred percent. He mowed down two consecutive opponents who were decidedly still recovering from their previous matches.
          It was an interesting tournament in Paris last week and the drama continues into next weeks grand finale. Roger Federer after claiming to end of the season victories at both Shanghai and Basel came into the Paris event a bit worn and torn. He barely survived a stiff challenge from Jeremy Chardy then he played it soft against one Louis Pouille, another Frenchman, until he got into position to be mowed down by Milos Raonic.

So he put himself into position for the season finale in a couple of different respects. Prior to his Shanghai tournament he had a couple of weeks off to do some training and to let his body recover from the summer grind. His run up and into the U. S. Open had to be pretty tough on his body…not to mention the additional set of twins in the house. Gael Monfils threw the final wrench into his plans when he took Federer to his limits…he had nothing left to go up against the sleeper and eventual champion Marin Cilic. But Roger made a stellar appearance in Shanghai and his performance in Basel was rather scintillating. He had a great combination of sufficient rest and match play in his preparation to be able to attain peak performance. He was scheduled to appear in Paris but he has learned through the years to never change a winning game. He showed up but he wasn't all there so now he will try to duplicate his run up to the Shanghai tournament with some rest and practice.

Obviously Novak Djokovic is the conventional wisdom choice to win this tournament as he is also the defending champion. But I wouldn't count Roger out…if he can make it to the finals. I believe that he can take Milos down…as Milos' quarterfinal victory in Paris could very well be rendered meaningless. Raonic's win over Federer in Paris was his first in seven tries…perhaps Roger didn't see the point in getting tangled up in another battle to the finish. He had to go through Tomas Berdych and then Novak Djokovic in the other half…why not do a tactical retreat? Position himself for the more prestigious season finale.

The stiffest challenge in Federer's group may actually come from Andy Murray who seems to have been resurgent in his own right. Kei Nishikori could also conceivably become a factor but his penchant for getting involved in lengthy and energy sapping not to mention injury inducing battle may work against his best interests. He also may be getting weary after a season long grind and all of the attention that has been dumped on him since he reached the finals of the U. S. Open. He may also have a case of the "Wawrinka Effect" too…eventually. Everyone will be gunning for him now.

So it appears that Roger has jockeyed himself into position…pole position. He has taken everything into calculation and left no stone unturned. The equipment variable was the biggest decision that he made and it is paying huge dividends for him now. That 10 or 11 percent amount of real estate that he is using now has made all of the difference and he has to be kicking himself for not doing it years ago. In the end I am certain that he realized he did not have the fuel to overtake Djokovic for the year end number one ranking so he banked on the more prestigious London venue. If he takes this tournament he may not be the official number one but in the hearts of tennis aficionados and connoisseurs he will certainly own that slot.

If the courts are just this side of quick…just a tad faster…advantage Federer. He will be looking to conclude things just as fast as he can…to conserve on energy and to demoralize and confuse his opponents.
          Last edited by don_budge; 11-07-2014, 01:20 AM.
          don_budge

Comment

I don't think Roger did a tactical retreat vs Milos. I think he really did want, and may still get, the number 1 ranking back. That is about the only record in tennis he does not have, the oldest number 1 in the modern era of tennis. I just have the feeling he would like to have that also. I, like db, like his chances in London.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              I don't think Roger did a tactical retreat vs Milos. I think he really did want, and may still get, the number 1 ranking back. That is about the only record in tennis he does not have, the oldest number 1 in the modern era of tennis. I just have the feeling he would like to have that also. I, like db, like his chances in London.
              It would be strange if Roger finished the year as number one. I feel Djokovic has had a much better year overall. His results look, and are, better when you look back at 2014.
              Stotty

Comment

The top 8 are ready and so am I!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcM2ceKqgdc

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Last edited by klacr; 11-07-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Let the games begin…start your engines.

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  The top 8 are ready and so am I!!!
                  Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Gentlemen…start your engines. The preparation that goes into a tennis tournament…on the part of the players. So meticulous, leaving no stone unturned. Now it is time. The players are feeling that nervous energy…like skittish race horses being led into the gate. It's not the best time to be around these guys. Maybe the wives and girlfriends have to reign in their egos…emotions. It's crazy. What a feeling.

Andy Murray vs. Kei Nishikori…A couple of polar opposites. Murray owns the diminutive Nishikori 3-0 without the loss of a set. Can he really dominate him like so? If the courts are quicker…who does it favor? Murray…I think.

Roger Federer vs. Milos Raonic…The Main Event. Whenever Roger is playing it is the Main Event by default. Who do they pay to come see play? It's a great match. The timing couldn't be better. The talk on the pro tour lately has been a lot about Milos…the hugeness of his serve. His ability to stay in any match with anyone on the basis of his serve alone. But now he has solidified his backhand somewhat. The forehand can be huge behind the big serve. A great one-two combination.

Roger owns the lumbering Canuck by a 6-1 margin. The only loss last week when Roger was running on fumes. He didn't necessarily tank but he didn't compete tooth and nail. But today he will be. Much of the performance today is psychological. Consider that it is Milos' maiden voyage in this venue. Consider that Roger has won it a number of times. Roger is in his comfort zone and it will be up to Milos to serve him out of that zone. Look for Roger to serve impeccably and to follow any loose play to the net…where he will pounce like a cat. Like a nimble feline. Watch him. This is a good match for him to begin with. He has incentive to perform well to avenge the soft loss last week.

The edge to Federer…but in this format, in this half of the draw every match is a crap shoot. Much has to do with the preparation…who is ready. Really ready…because the top eight players in the world are competing and lots of incentives are there for them to perform well.

Gentlemen…start your engines. Let the games begin.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 11-09-2014, 02:50 AM.
                  don_budge

Comment

Roger…from the horse's mouth

Here's Roger Federer on getting ready for this weeks tournament.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

He's such a great interview. Revealing in a non-intrusive way.
                    don_budge

Comment

Nishikori looked like the younger, faster version of Andy Murray in this match. Slow start for fans at the O2 arena. Both players did little to impress. Murray said the temperature inside the O2 is warmer and the court is faster than in Valencia and Paris.

Getting ready for Federer-Raonic. Thinking Federer has revenge on his mind. Going to show Raonic that Paris was just a practice match before the big show.

Curious about Group A though. Djokovic, Wawrinka, Cilic and Berdych. All players but one captured a grand slam this year. More motivation for Berdych to raise his game and make it through.

Does anyone think the finals won't be Federer-Djokovic?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Just more proof that Ray man has to work on his return first. Hey, ray man, string your racquet tighter! Other wise no chance in the bigger matches, as it's too hard to control under pressure. Fed only cares about the bigger venues, and doesn't try or feel as motivated to burst faster.
                        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-09-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Roger Federer vs. Milos Raonic…and a couple of other things.

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                          Just more proof that Ray man has to work on his return first.
                          In street fight terms one might say that Roger Federer got the "quick drop" on the seemingly laconic Milos Raonic. Roger came out gunning and he meant to knock out Milos with a stunning right cross right at the opening bell. He elected to serve first, which was a great sign because he was going to tag the kid a couple of times right at the get go and let him know who's boss.

That victory in Paris was a little misleading. But it all works for Federer in the end. The current Master at orchestrating affairs at the professional player level. Should Milos get a bit more confidence he just might steal a couple of majors or rather Grand Slams from Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic which may hinder them from overtaking Roger. Milos' win in Paris has been rendered meaningless in the big picture now…Roger set the record straight. But for Milos it may just serve to boost his confidence in the future. He could develop into a force to be reckoned with…although his stamina in five set matches is still in question.

Roger came out swinging at the lumbering giant and tagged him right off the bat with a service break in his first serving game. Federer just kept pouring it on in his own service game to quickly conclude the first set which is very positive in terms of the big picture as well…conservation of energy. The manner in which Roger served it out in the first set is an indication of his performance level at key points in a match right now. He is feeling it is my guess.

By the time the big guy woke up he was down a set and Roger was sputtering just a bit too. But Roger did a great job of gutting it out and holding onto his serve and when it came down to the tie-breaker Roger got right down to business once more and concluded things with an exclamation point. It all couldn't have gone smoother…a perfect start. He left himself some room for improvement as well which is key in an event like this. The key is to put himself in the best possible position to finish the thing off. He knows this format all too well.

For Milos' part he would do well to take more chance on the return of serve. For me…this would mean that he step in and take the ball earlier. Not move back and take the ball deeper. He would do well to gamble on the first couple of points on his opponents serve and then take stock of the situation. If he can knock off a couple of winners and stake himself to a lead he may just consolidate more breaks. He may have some potential left in him…there are a number of tactical options that he hasn't explored yet.

Kei Nishikori and Andy Murray? Who cares? As boring as it gets. A terrible match and poorly executed. The net play was borderline crummy at best. Nishikori is ample proof of the game of tennis gone wrong. A one dimensional player with a rather unimpressive service motion. Of course he has unbelievable quickness and unbelievable ball striking talent but is that enough? Apparently it is with the game being played the way it is today.

For Murray's part he may as well be coached by a girl because he really played like a pussy yesterday. He may be tired though and not 100% to his capabilities. His long road back from surgery…well, we will never know the whole story about that. His performance was really disappointing. Not to me…I could care less about either he or Nishikori…but to the London crowd. I wonder if Murray voted yes or no…to a free and independent Scotland. I suspect he sided with the royalty and the Queen…there are too many freebies to be passed up for him to go out on a limb for the masses.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 11-10-2014, 02:40 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge

Comment

At Iw, where they have a lot of shot spot info, Fed's back hand has increased in mph by 2 mph, and in depth (more important than mph) by 2 feet deeper, after the racquet switch.

Comment

No no. Murray wanted Scotland to go free. So say the commentatoes.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2308 users online. 5 members and 2303 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X