X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Challenge factor...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    The power of full engagement!

Give him some challenges to build his confidence and then gradually make them harder.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    This is another good point. Keep upping the ante. Just as feeding the tennis ball. With beginners you always give it to them in their comfort zone…but as they increase their skills you increase the pressure incrementally…just beyond their comfort zone. Always reminding them…"you can do it!"
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I'm not wealthy. Barely scraping by, but don't care about string cost.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
        I'm not wealthy. Barely scraping by, but don't care about string cost.
        Geoff, you're wealthy in more ways than you could ever imagine. I hope I am still beating the living hell out of young guys hell in the MMA gym when I am 58 like you. Health is a precious commodity.

Comment

Don_Budge post: "[Ed] I love what you are doing. I love why you are doing it. I wish you all the luck in the world and spread a little more love around in that program of yours…from yours truly. Thank you for quoting me. The ultimate compliment on the forum is to be on the receiving end of a comment like yours."

Thanks Steve, greatly appreciate your very kind words!

Comment

So what is Control...

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
            Thanks Steve, greatly appreciate your very kind words!
            They are so well deserved…

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            These drills emphasize control. I ask my students…what is power? I answer my own rhetorical question…control is power. Once you can control yourself you can control the ball. Once you have "mastered" control over the ball you can control your opponents with your tactics and the more you can dictate play. As you develop more and more control with the ball and yourself you pick up the tempo.
            I ask my students what is power and I answer…control is power. Then I demonstrate against the wall taking aim at a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper that says that it is forbidden to hit against the wall. I drive twenty something balls at the wall and hit the target on half of my swings…maybe. Then I turn around and do the same thing with my backhand.

Hmmm…that's interesting they are thinking to themselves. I ask them how many times can I repeat hitting against the wall on one bounce and it is sort of funny the range of answers…the one who guesses the highest is of course the one who is "nearest" the right answer. Then I ask an all important question…how is that I am able to repeatedly hit such a small target from such a distance. Again…some interesting answers but the one that I am seeking and about to deliver to them is that I repeat the very same motion every single time.

Now the kicker…I ask them "What is Control?" Control I tell them has three elements…at least. But the three that I am discussing are SPEED, SPIN and PLACEMENT. The speed is of course a huge variable as I have demonstrated that I can drive the ball very "powerfully" with great accuracy…but speed alone is insufficient. Spin…again I demonstrate that I can hit variations of topspin, underspin and the flatter ball. Placement…well nothing needs to be said after witnessing the target shoot.

Control is by no means hitting "soft" shots but you must be able to reach all points of the court so you must be able to vary the speed of your strokes from "soft" to "drive" according to my paradigm of tennis coaching. I believe these drills that I have written about here on the forum are instrumental in teaching this sort of tennis. To be able to control yourself as you are moving towards and aways from the ball and manage the three elements of control you are truly developing a power that will serve you in good stead against any type of player. You will have the "library of strokes" necessary to tactically disassemble any type of game.

What is power? Control is power. What is control? Three basic elements are speed, spin and placement. This is real basic fundamental stuff…and the kind of stuff that a tennis player will need in his bag of tricks in order to develop to their greatest potential.

I am most curious to see other aspects of this "Project J"'s game. I notice on his serve motion that he appears to back up which is a clue as to what style he is playing. Probably some variation of the style that I witnessed at the tournament that was begin held on the Yale University tennis courts last weekend.

Funny story…full of irony no less. But I happened to encounter this fellow who had graduated from Yale Law School and he had been the point guard on the basketball team and the quarterback on the football team. He had never played tennis and I taught him from scratch. Needless to say he learned to play a pretty good game. He desperately wanted to beat me but it never happened…of course. We couldn't let that happen could we…but his quickness and aptitude for the game was quite amazing. But even so…he would have had to put in his 10 years before he had a chance. It is the nature of the beast…the game.
            Last edited by don_budge; 12-04-2014, 12:22 AM.
            don_budge

Comment

To "Project J"…from don_budge

Most of all…you must realize that you don't have to be perfect. The goal is continuous improvement and it is accomplished by doing your best every day. Your best in every thing that you do. Whether it be doing the chores around the house that your parents have for you, your homework that your schooling requires of you or practicing your tennis or basketball.

Don't let your fascination with games take all of your concentration and practice spreading your concentration around in all of your facets of life. Focus on your relationships with people. Contemplate what people such as Ed Weiss are doing in your life. What is his motivation? Interesting thought…isn't it? Sports are one thing and life is another. Too much emphasis on sports is not such a healthy thing…although there are worse things that you can overindulge in.

Never let a setback or disappointment keep you from making your best effort. If you get behind in a tennis match…start the score over in your head. Claw your way back into the match one point at a time. Never give anything away to your opponent. It is easy to get discouraged and think that it doesn't matter. Everything matters and this includes salvaging what you can from a disappointing loss. If you are getting beaten mercilessly give yourself some credit and try to fight back with everything you have until the end. This mental training is fundamental to a tennis player becoming "match tough" and never giving in to that voice that says to you "the heck with it". So many matches have been turned around by this type of player that refuses to cave in to the daunting prospect of coming back from behind.

Be the type of player…be the type of man…that if you lose the first set that only steels your resolve to toughen up and keep the ball in play and to continue going for your shots. A real tough competitor can be beaten…but he can never be defeated.

Take Tiger Woods and Ben Hogan for instance. A couple of famous tennis players from the past. Both suffered seemingly unrecoverable setbacks but somehow managed to keep their heads in the game to get back to their former form. Hogan had a terrible car accident that robbed him of his strength and his legs but his mind took over. That mental toughness wasn't developed overnight. Everyone loses in life…but that doesn't make you a loser. A loser is a quitter…someone that quits has lost. If you fight to the bitter end…you are no loser…even if you lose.

Tiger Woods certainly has had his share of trevails. He has had his share of women problems. You see what money or an excess of money can do to a man? It can buy you anything and sometimes it will buy you a whole lot of trouble. Keep your feet on the ground and keep your head up. Wealth and fame are not all that they are cracked up to be. They are not what determines what a man's character is about. A man's character is measured by his determination to do his best…no matter what the circumstances.

Woods is again facing the prospect of climbing that mountain back to the top. He has finished dead last in a tournament that he has won five times. But I know the mindset of this guy…he is no loser. He is more than determined to make it back to the top. Everyone makes mistakes and some make more than others. In Tiger's case his extraordinary wealth afforded him the opportunity to take his greed to a higher level than we mere mortals. But his crimes or transgressions are no more evil or worse than ours. It was only that he could afford more…maybe he has learned his lesson. Divorce has a way of doing that. But maybe he hasn't…afterall he is human.

So count your blessings young man…make the best of every day and every event that transpires in your life. Learn to make lemonade out of sour lemons by adding some sugar. It doesn't happen over night. It never does. It is a lifelong process that never ends until it is over. It is sort of like a tennis match where it isn't over until the last point has been played. Keep your head in the game at all times…know the score. Some baseball players are more dangerous when they have two strikes against them. Try not to get two strikes against you…but if you do make damn certain that you give it everything you have and don't leave anything in the bag.

Tennis isn't everything…but it is a wonderful place to start to sort it out. It's a game for a lifetime and the goal is to stay healthy and live to play another day. Have a good attitude. A good attitude is priceless. This little speech is related to my explanations of power and control on the tennis court. You can take these lessons from the court into life…if you learn to connect the dots. The three little dots.
              Last edited by don_budge; 12-08-2014, 02:51 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

[QUOTE=don_budge;30991]Most of all…you must realize that you don't have to be perfect. The goal is continuous improvement and it is accomplished by doing your best every day. Your best in every thing that you do. Whether it be doing the chores around the house that your parents have for you, your homework that your schooling requires of you or practicing your tennis or basketball.

Don't let your fascination with games take all of your concentration and practice spreading your concentration around in all of your facets of life. Focus on your relationships with people. Contemplate what people such as Ed Weiss are doing in your life. What is his motivation? Interesting thought…isn't it? Sports are one thing and life is another. Too much emphasis on sports is not such a healthy thing…although there are worse things that you can overindulge in.

Never let a setback or disappointment keep you from making your best effort. If you get behind in a tennis match…start the score over in your head. Claw your way back into the match one point at a time. Never give anything away to your opponent. It is easy to get discouraged and think that it doesn't matter. Everything matters and this includes salvaging what you can from a disappointing loss. If you are getting beaten mercilessly give yourself some credit and try to fight back with everything you have until the end. This mental training is fundamental to a tennis player becoming "match tough" and never giving in to that voice that says to you "the heck with it". So many matches have been turned around by this type of player that refuses to cave in to the daunting prospect of coming back from behind.

Be the type of player…be the type of man…that if you lose the first set that only steels your resolve to toughen up and keep the ball in play and to continue going for your shots. A real tough competitor can be beaten…but he can never be defeated.

Take Tiger Woods and Ben Hogan for instance. A couple of famous tennis players from the past. Both suffered seemingly unrecoverable setbacks but somehow managed to keep their heads in the game to get back to their former form. Hogan had a terrible car accident that robbed him of his strength and his legs but his mind took over. That mental toughness wasn't developed overnight. Everyone loses in life…but that doesn't make you a loser. A loser is a quitter…someone that quits has lost. If you fight to the bitter end…you are no loser…even if you lose.

Tiger Woods certainly has had his share of trevails. He has had his share of women problems. You see what money or an excess of money can do to a man? It can buy you anything and sometimes it will buy you a whole lot of trouble. Keep your feet on the ground and keep your head up. Wealth and fame are not all that they are cracked up to be. They are not what determines what a man's character is about. A man's character is measured by his determination to do his best…no matter what the circumstances.

Woods is again facing the prospect of climbing that mountain back to the top. He has finished dead last in a tournament that he has won five times. But I know the mindset of this guy…he is no loser. He is more than determined to make it back to the top. Everyone makes mistakes and some make more than others. In Tiger's case his extraordinary wealth afforded him the opportunity to take his greed to a higher level than we mere mortals. But his crimes or transgressions are no more evil or worse than ours. It was only that he could afford more…maybe he has learned his lesson. Divorce has a way of doing that. But maybe he hasn't…afterall he is human.

So count your blessings young man…make the best of every day and every event that transpires in your life. Learn to make lemonade out of sour lemons by adding some sugar. It doesn't happen over night. It never does. It is a lifelong process that never ends until it is over. It is sort of like a tennis match where it isn't over until the last point has been played. Keep your head in the game at all times…know the score. Some baseball players are more dangerous when they have two strikes against them. Try not to get two strikes against you…but if you do make damn certain that you give it everything you have and don't leave anything in the bag.

Tennis isn't everything…but it is a wonderful place to start to sort it out. It's a game for a lifetime and the goal is to stay healthy and live to play another day. Have a good attitude. A good attitude is priceless. This little speech is related to my explanations of power and control on the tennis court. You can take these lessons from the court into life…if you learn to connect the dots. The three little dots.[/QUOTE

Nice post Don Budge, nice post.

Comment

Great words. They sound nice. However, words are words. I live in a world of actions and results. They have value.

Tiger Woods does not have any determination to do his best. I am not buying into this at all.

He went out, screwed around on his wife, embarrassed his kids (who likely have it tough now in school) and exposed his wife to potentially sexually transmutable diseases like AIDS.

He came home every night and lied to her about it (the mother of his children), and invested his valuable time away from family with whores who had VERY low moral standards (they knew he was a married man).

If my papa screwed around with some woman I’d seriously wonder whether or not he truly loves his children.

You know the hours and effort Tiger undertook to maintain these relationships and hide it?

It would have been better served with his wife, kids and family.

So, yes, he is a loser.

And karma bit him in the ass which is fitting I must say!

And yes, his crimes and transgressions were much worse than ours. Much more was expected from him. He was a shining beacon for his community, and he let his people down.

So what if he makes it back to the top in the world of golf?

He split apart his family, and his kids don't have a dad, and his ex-wife he claims to have loved will bare the scares of humiliation for the rest of her life.

And, even if Tiger and his ex-wife stayed together can you imagine the stigma she’d face the rest of her life? Look at poor Hilary Clinton, and his daughter Chelsea, and how every day they had to answer for his misdeeds.

Sad.

Tiger Woods was 33, and had money for close to two decades at the time.

He knew better.

Tiger Woods did not have any woman problems don_budge.

His problems had problems, and his issue had even bigger issues.

The woman in his life were great girls looking to build a family.

I would not even put Tiger Woods in the same sentence as Ben Hogan.

That's disgraceful.

Comment

For all you men who let their penis hurt those who love you, karma is a bitch who is never denied her due. HIs name should be: STD Ridden Woods. Slut ****ing Woods. Wifeless Woods. Winless Woods. Caddyless Woods. Low class ghetto cursing Woods. Bitch slapped by wife with golf club Woods. (Didn't like his caddy getting all the credit, so he cut him.) Roddick/Gilbert syndrome Woods. Ben Hogan would not let him into his club Woods. Lost in the Penis Woods. Ha, ha. Woods.
                    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 12-08-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                      For all you men who let their penis hurt those who love you, karma is a bitch who is never denied her due. HIs name should be: STD Ridden Woods. Slut ****ing Woods. Wifeless Woods. Winless Woods. Caddyless Woods. Low class ghetto cursing Woods. Bitch slapped by wife with golf club Woods. (Didn't like his caddy getting all the credit, so he cut him.) Roddick/Gilbert syndrome Woods. Ben Hogan would not let him into his club Woods. Lost in the Penis Woods. Ha, ha. Woods.
                      Well put.

Comment

Progress Report/Video

I have posted below a video of the student's serve I just took today. It is of a second serve he hit in a practice doubles match. You can see he is moving in after the serve to serve and volley which will make Don_Budge (Steve) happy. I know it sounds a little crazy, but parts of his serve look to me like Pete Sampras (the huge shoulder turn, and the way he kind of pulls back the right shoulder for a little extra stretching of the rubber band). I do see that his right leg is kicking out to the right a bit too much as he jumps in. Also, not sure if he is going through the ball enough (even on a second serve). Also, I do not think he is going the full 180 from edge to edge in the hitting zone that Don Brousseau always emphasizes. He has been playing seriously for only about 1.5 years. He still has problems controlling the serve but I keep encouraging him to keep swinging just as fast on the second serve as the first serve and just hit more spin. I believe as he keeps playing more he will get the exact feel of the hit and his serve will become more consistent and a huge weapon. Of course, growing more (he is in 8th grade) will also help. I would be most grateful for your thoughts. I believe he has tons of potential.

Last edited by EdWeiss; 03-15-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Wow. That kid has a lot of potential. Needs a bit more shoulder rotation at the end, but great knee bend, great drive up. Faster and more shoulder rotation on the end/isr/esr.

Comment

Very interesting…let's see a bit more

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
                            You can see he is moving in after the serve to serve and volley which will make Don_Budge (Steve) happy. I know it sounds a little crazy, but parts of his serve look to me like Pete Sampras (the huge shoulder turn, and the way he kind of pulls back the right shoulder for a little extra stretching of the rubber band). I do see that his right leg is kicking out to the right a bit too much as he jumps in. Also, not sure if he is going through the ball enough (even on a second serve). Also, I do not think he is going the full 180 from edge to edge in the hitting zone that Don Brousseau always emphasizes. He has been playing seriously for only about 1.5 years. He still has problems controlling the serve but I keep encouraging him to keep swinging just as fast on the second serve as the first serve and just hit more spin. I believe as he keeps playing more he will get the exact feel of the hit and his serve will become more consistent and a huge weapon. Of course, growing more (he is in 8th grade) will also help. I would be most grateful for your thoughts. I believe he has tons of potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGsauonriro
                            It's a great post EdWeiss. Thanks for sharing this young man with the forum.

He certainly has tons of potential…the equivalent of saying that he has lots of room for improvement. That is saying a lot considering what we are looking at is so wonderfully free and natural. Unencumbered…with analysis. The perfect lump of clay from which to work.

You've got my interest. Please let's see the following if it isn't too much trouble. From the front side and back views, I would very much like to see 12 serves. Six to each serving court and three to each corner. I want to see exactly where he is tossing the ball too. I suggested this to markb who has posted his serve and let's see if this is a good standard format to request in video when we get a chance to take a look at a serve.

Have him deliberately aim and setup to his target as if he were in a match situation. Simulate…going to the net.

Great for the young man. I'm very happy for him to see him heading towards the net. Mark my words…by the time he is playing the mens game the professional game will be headed in that direction also. You are being proactive.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 03-16-2015, 01:00 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

I think his serve is looking really good. From the clip it looks really natural. To have established a serve like that in such a short space of time is of great credit to his ability...and to the coach's ability, of course.

I think the most telling clip you could post is a clip (normal frame speed) of him serving from the rear. I want to see the ball leave his racket and landing in that box, so I can get an overall sense of his pace and, more importantly, how controlled his serve is. Such a clip will reveal his truer standard in my view.
                              Stotty

Comment

Geoff

Thanks Geoff for the input. I will put that down on things to work on.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2838 users online. 6 members and 2832 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X