X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Hopman…Two on One Drills...

From Rod Laver:

1. All three players at the baseline

Begin with all three players back. Focus on consistency and depth, treating this as a warmup. As I mentioned before, the two players aren’t trying to hit winners against the single player. Their goal is to challenge him and keep him on the move by giving him a steady series of well placed shots. One way to do this is for the two to always hit down the line while the single player always hits crosscourt, or vice versa. This pattern ensures a good workout and also forces all three players to work on changing the direction of the ball. Do one round with each player spending five minutes in the single position.

I should point out that when we did two-on ones, we didn’t spend much time with all three at the baseline. In my day the game was about getting to the net. We might have started with all three back, but the goal was to move forward on any short ball and hone our approach shots. I fi nd that many players today are great at the baseline and solid at the net once they get there, but their transition from the baseline to the net is fair at best. So this variation of all three players starting at the baseline would be useful for players today. Remember, if you miss a ball—even on an approach shot—don’t stop. Someone should immediately feed another ball so the player gets the same shot.

2. Two at the net, one at the baseline

This version is intended to give the player at the baseline a real test, but the net players should move him around, not put the ball away. (For example, if the person at the baseline is pulled wide, the net man shouldn’t hit the ball into the opposite corner.) Not only does this allow the person at the baseline to get a good workout and hit lots of balls from challenging positions, it’s also good for the net players because they can practice placing their volleys.

But if the baseline player can put the ball away, he should do so. This is the time to work on passing shots, topspin lobs, and knocking off short balls. The baseline player should be careful not to get sloppy and hit shots that would go out if there weren’t two players fielding them at net. Otherwise, his hard work will be for nothing. Do one round, with each player spending five minutes at the baseline.

3. One at the net, two at the baseline

Hitting at the net against two players at the baseline is a wonderful way to shape all parts of your frontcourt game. The net man’s goal is to practice placing the ball. Start out with the two at the baseline hitting ground strokes to the net guy, then have them begin to throw in lobs.

They don’t have to be winning lobs; just be sure that you give the net man a chance to take some of them in the air. After hitting a smash, the net person has to get back up to the net in time for the next ball before it bounces. That way, as soon as you hit the overhead you learn to get right back into volleying position. In turn, the baseline players should try to hit the ball at the net man’s feet. Do one round, with each player spending five minutes at the net.

4. All three at the net

This is like a volley duel; it should be rapid fire. Start by getting a rhythm, then pretty much hit the ball as hard as you can without sacrificing control. If you’re the single person at the net, move the ball around. Hit one or two shots to the same person and then hit to the other to get a feel for placing the ball in all directions from different angles.

Similarly, the two players should give the one a mix of forehand and backhand volleys. This variation of the two on-one drill helps you learn to keep your racquet out in front of you when you’re volleying. Do one round, with each player spending five minutes as the single player.
    Last edited by don_budge; 03-23-2015, 11:46 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

thanks Don_Budge

From the master Rod himself. This is great. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your great ideas.

Geoff - may good thoughts. The idea of practicing the serve and return as much as the groundies is great. I know that Bill Tym, who has a great track record developing players, believes in spending about 1/2 of all practice time working on the serve and return. He reasons that the serve and return contribute to at least 50% of why points are won and lost. Not only are many points ended after the serve and return, but even if there are additional shots in the rally the serve and return often have a big impact on who is on offense in the point. Also, what do you exactly mean by slivers?

Kyle - love the game and your thoughts. As always, a big thank you.

Stotty - many good ideas. I have already tried some to good effect.

Comment

Phil - I agree re the camera. It is amazing what turns up when you film in slow motion. I use the camera more than most pros around here, but I should use it even more.

lobndropshot - like those games. Will give them a try.

Stotty and Steve: have been using the 2 on 1s. Some days are better than others but when the drill works it really if fun to watch how hard it makes the kids work.

Any more ideas? Please keep them coming!
          Last edited by EdWeiss; 03-29-2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
            Thanks everyone for your great ideas.

Geoff - may good thoughts. The idea of practicing the serve and return as much as the groundies is great. I know that Bill Tym, who has a great track record developing players, believes in spending about 1/2 of all practice time working on the serve and return. He reasons that the serve and return contribute to at least 50% of why points are won and lost. Not only are many points ended after the serve and return, but even if there are additional shots in the rally the serve and return often have a big impact on who is on offense in the point. Also, what do you exactly mean by slivers?

Kyle - love the game and your thoughts. As always, a big thank you.

Stotty - many good ideas. I have already tried some to good effect.
            Almost no one practices sv/re enough or sliver hitting, as the first shot inevitably determines a high percentage of who wins the point! Slivers: towards the sliver of court out wide or dtl, or on the baseline, near the lines, which form an angled sliver from hitter/to: the angle using the ball' flight path, to form the triangle of the sliver hit.

Comment

rapid fire return of serve drill and server squeeze drill

Rapid fire:
              one returner and two servers

Servers A and B line up to server on the same side of the court. Server A lines up on the singles serving position and server B lines up on the doubles serving position.

Server A hits the first serve to the returner. Once the returner has hit the ball server B starts their motion. (Server B should make sure that the ball is not flying at their face). Again once the returner has made contact with the ball server A should hit another serve. Serving should be done in a rapid fire succession.

Server squeeze drill:
              server gets two serves to serve as wide as possible on the duce side of the court. The player takes the best placement of those two serves and gets two more serves to hit to the right of the first placement (servers perspective). The same thing is done again until the player can no longer hit to the right of the last placement. My best score is eight. So the eight balls from the singles side line to the center service line.

Comment

thanks lobndropshot

I tried the return drill today with some students who are pretty good players (including Project J). They loved the drill. They liked the rapid fire aspect of it. I did a variation with three servers. Thanks so much.

Comment

Serve battle (warning very addictive)

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
                  I tried the return drill today with some students who are pretty good players (including Project J). They loved the drill. They liked the rapid fire aspect of it. I did a variation with three servers. Thanks so much.
                  Thank I am happy to hear that the drill was a hit. Here is one more serve drill that kids will beg you to let them play.

Serve Battle:

There are two teams of one to four players and the goal is to move all targets into your enemy's service box.

Lets say the teams of three are made up of Ed, L&D, and DB verses KK, LC, and GW. Ed, L&D, and DB are serving on the north side of the court to the duce box, and KK, LC, and GW are serving on the south side of the court to the ad box. Each team has five targets spread out in their service box and two players on each team are serving at the same time.

Let's say DB and Ed go first on the north team. While KK and LC go first on the south team. All players get to hit two serves. DB tosses the ball and hits a target on his 2nd serve and all other players miss targets (sorry guys). DB runs and picks up the target the he hit and places it in the service box of the south team (target must be placed in a hittable location).

Play goes back and forth until one side has all the targets in their service box or until one side runs out of balls. In the latter case, the team with more targets in their service box.

Comment

Thanks I will try it out this weekend with the kids!

Comment

Serve Battle

lobndropshot: I am very happy to report that the Serve Battle was a big, big hit with the kids. The key (at least with the kids I did it with) is to try to have the teams somewhat even. Its a great drill as it is fun but at the same time they are getting good practice in serving for targets with just a little bit of pressure. I found it helpful to establish the following rules: (i) first ball is a first serve and the next ball is a second serve - this way they get practice on both first and second serves and (ii) the serves must be real serves with good technique - no just pushing the ball in. Thanks again for the great drill suggestion!

Comment

I am happy to hear that you like this one. I have another serving drill that works on placement and power:

Players are serving for power and consistency of the and get points based on where the
                        ball bounces a 2nd time.

Rules:
                        1. ball must be in to earn points
                        2. if the ball goes in the automatically get 1 point
                        3. If the 2nd bounces is:
                        a. between the baseline and service line = 1points
                        b. past baseline or outside the doubles sidelines = 2points
                        4. If the 2nd bounce hits:
                        a. the back fence = 4points
                        b. hits the side fence, court dividers, or lands in court next door= 4 points
                        Optional: for more advanced players you create boundaries to work on placement.

Comment

Thanks I will try that one as well!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2784 users online. 6 members and 2778 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X