Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's my Girl…Navarro

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    It just so happens that Tomas Berdych gets my nod for the match of the day. But he is tied…with a woman.

I'm pulling for Navarro for a number of reasons. Usually the woman's game has very little interest for me. But the idea of a woman using a one hand backhand these days is remote. She is 2-2 with Williams head to head and I hope she goes up 3-2. This match has a lot of potential to be rather entertaining. Too bad it on so late.
    Somehow I find myself more interested in the women's side now. A one hand backhand in the semi's…and her name is NAVARRO! She took out a Williams sister. It's the ironies in life that keep it interesting…don't you think.

She can beat Petkovic. In fact…I am going out on a limb here. She is going to beat her. Finally a woman to pull for.
    Last edited by don_budge; 04-01-2015, 08:25 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake…
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Rafa is out. Splendid play by Verdasco to take out his fellow Spaniard in three sets.
      Also love to see the fight from Tomas Berdych. Down a set and 0-4 my boy showing some real toughness and coming back to win 6-1 in 3rd set. Even after fighting off 4 match points. This may have been a mach Berdych would lose before. Not this year though. Looking at the draw, and I hate o look ahead, but Berdych is highest seed in his quarter now with Rafa out. Tberd would have to face Murrray in semis.

Wawrinka loses in two tie-breaks to Adrian Mannarino. Wawrinka losing his way just a bit. Bottom half of the draw features Murray and Berdych as the two big stallions. Let's see what happens.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I was in the stands for the entire match vs Tomic. Tomic really had the upper hand until Tomas, with terrific fight, took the 2nd set. Tomic is really a unique player. He really demonstrates how, even at the highest level, one can kind of just redirect the ball with very, very short backswings(particularly on forehand) and still dictate out there. It was great fight and win by Tomas.
      Last edited by stroke; 04-01-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        I was in the stands for the entire match vs Tomic. Tomic really had the upper hand until Tomas, with terrific fight, took the 2nd set. Tomic is really a unique player. He really demonstrates how, even at the highest level, one can kind of just redirect the ball with very, very short backswings(particularly on forehand) and still dictate out there. It was great fight and win by Tomas.
        You got your money's worth stroke.
        Bottom half of draw opening up if Thiem continues this form against Murray. Berdych becomes highest seed and favorite to make finals. Would get to see him on Sunday. Just like I planned

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Yes, Tomic is quite a gem to watch live. TV doesn't do him justice, does it? The way he can push and place that ball around is nice to watch.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            Yes, Tomic is quite a gem to watch live. TV doesn't do him justice, does it? The way he can push and place that ball around is nice to watch.
            I agree completely. He warmed up so relaxed and casually and played the same way once the match started. And you are so right. TV does not do him justice. He basicly dictated play, with what appeared to be way less effort than Berdych, for the first 2 sets. That is very hard for any player to do agianst Berdych. Tomic's serve, even though it looks a little ackward with his very high elbow position and low toss, was more effective than Berdych's. I got to watch the match, because it was on the Grandstand, about 5 rows up directly behind the players, so I could really get a feel of the play.

Comment

Bernard Tomic…Control vs Out of Control

What is power…I rhetorically ask the student? Control is power.

Bernard is an interesting case. While his personal life seems to be quite complicated he has an alternative philosophy on the tennis court. Instead of trying to bully or out muscle his opponents he plays it smart and tries to dictate points with a combination of speed, placement and spin.

What is control…control is the combination or blending of the elements of speed, placement and spin. Control the ball…you control your opponent. Control your opponent…you control the match. Control the match…you win. Roger Federer is the Living Proof. Mr. Control. He has the tennis world marching to his beat whenever he is playing tennis.

Bernard falls short in a couple of categories that would enable him to successfully pull this tactic off at the highest echelon of the game. First of all…at 6' 5" tall and 200 lbs. he should have a serve that is so dominating that players should feel privileged to just get a whiff of it. His serve is decent but no where as dominating as it should be. Secondly…here is another prime example of the modern coaching paradigm gone awry as he has clung to his two hand backhand like a child clings to his security blanket.

A perfect complement to Tomic's game would be a "Federesque" backhand…a blend of Wawrinka with heavy emphasis on Rosewall as well. Much as I would design for EdWeiss' Project J. With Tomic penchant for playing tactical tennis and his size and athleticism (?) he needs more options to finish the point. He appears to have the knack for keeping his opponent somewhat off balance and if he had the option of moving forwards as part of his tactical bag of tricks he might just be a threat to the top tier of tennis on a consistent basis. As it is…he is going to be a difficult opponent when he feels up to it.

He not only lacks the above two factors but he may also be deficient in discipline. But that could be remedied…with the proper "old school" Australian influence. Harry Hopman anyone?
              Last edited by don_budge; 04-01-2015, 10:41 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

Semi-finals are set.

Djokovic, Isner, Murray, Berdych

Berdych career head-to-head vs. Semi-finalists

vs. Murray 6-5
                vs. Isner 6-2
                vs. Djokovic 2-18

against Djokovic, Berdych has won 11 sets compared to Djokovic's 40. Uphill battle but needs to get past Murray first. Tomas can do it. Let's hope. I'll be there Sunday to see my boy if he can beat the Scot in semis first

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Navarro vs. Williams...

May the best person win...
                  don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Berdych has won 11 sets compared to Djokovic's 40. Uphill battle but needs to get past Murray first. Tomas can do it. Let's hope. I'll be there Sunday to see my boy if he can beat the Scot in semis first

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Well neither player likes each other which adds to the drama. Both men are dodgy on court in terms of what they get up to. Berdych trumps Murray in the girlfriend department with his blond stunner. I wonder what will unfold this time...my wife enjoys the drama and may even watch this one.
                    Stotty

Comment

Tomas Berdych vs. Andy Murray…They don't like each other? That's nice.

Well neither player likes each other which adds to the drama. Both men are dodgy on court in terms of what they get up to. Berdych trumps Murray in the girlfriend department with his blond stunner. I wonder what will unfold this time...my wife enjoys the drama and may even watch this one.
                      Well…why should they? There is nothing I like better after playing myself into exhaustion and then going out to battle the beaver(s) than to watch a couple of guys who don't like each other play tennis.

It's pretty hard to like Andy Murray anyways. Are there any other male professional tennis players that have a woman for a coach? Trust me…I can admire somebody who likes to be different…somebody that is an individual and true to themselves. But come on…you cannot be serious.
                      don_budge

Comment

Murray played T-Bird really well. He served much better than usual and gave Tomas lots of awkward stuff to deal with. He ran out the worthy winner. That said, I don't like the match up and found the game a little dull. There is no love lost between the two men so Murray will be chuffed to win comprehensively. I notice the girlfriends weren't on site this time. Good to see both men had there women locked up indoors for this one...
                        Stotty

Comment

Amen...

Good to see both men had there women locked up indoors for this one...
                          "Sometimes you just have to be a man about it…"-my old friend Leon.
                          don_budge

Comment

Her Phoniness…Serena Williams

"I actually had a fun match," Williams, who collected win No. 701 of her career, was quoted as saying by the WTA's website. "I just feel it was on my racket."

She doesn't look like she is having fun most of the time. As if there is some titanic struggle lurking beneath the surface. The screaming. The dramatics. It all adds up…to something. It's all an act.

"I had chances in the second set but didn't take them. That's something I can't do going into the grand slams coming up."

Of course Serena…there is no way that your opponent was playing better. It is only about Serena.

"Her game was great," Williams said. "She plays so well, and it's so good to see her play so well. She's so young, and I actually love watching her play. I'm actually a fan of hers.

The repetitive use of the words "so" and the word "actually" is really a put on. This is one of the biggest phonies since the days of "The Catcher in the Rye".

"I really like her attitude on the court. I like how she gets pumped up. I like how she fights. I like how she plays. It's definitely a refreshing type of game."

The repetitive use of the word "how" is another dramatic statement from Her Phoniness. The voice is like a fingernail on a chalkboard. The lack of sincerity just oozes and drips from every syllable.

Guess who I am pulling for tonight. Of course it is a long shot. It's a null and void shot. Like a little kitty cat going in against a lion.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 04-04-2015, 04:21 AM.
                            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              "I actually had a fun match," Williams, who collected win No. 701 of her career, was quoted as saying by the WTA's website. "I just feel it was on my racket."

She doesn't look like she is having fun most of the time. As if there is some titanic struggle lurking beneath the surface. The screaming. The dramatics. It all adds up…to something. It's all an act.

"I had chances in the second set but didn't take them. That's something I can't do going into the grand slams coming up."

Of course Serena…there is no way that your opponent was playing better. It is only about Serena.

"Her game was great," Williams said. "She plays so well, and it's so good to see her play so well. She's so young, and I actually love watching her play. I'm actually a fan of hers.

The repetitive use of the words "so" and the word "actually" is really a put on. This is one of the biggest phonies since the days of "The Catcher in the Rye".

"I really like her attitude on the court. I like how she gets pumped up. I like how she fights. I like how she plays. It's definitely a refreshing type of game."

The repetitive use of the word "how" is another dramatic statement from Her Phoniness. The voice is like a fingernail on a chalkboard. The lack of sincerity just oozes and drips from every syllable.

Guess who I am pulling for tonight. Of course it is a long shot. It's a null and void shot. Like a little kitty cat going in against a lion.
                              I agree with your thoughts here.

Comment

So I have VIP box seats tomorrow for Djokovic and Murray. Based on what my ticket says and my familiarity with the stadium, I'm sitting just behind the player's box. Which player I'm not sure but I'm hoping it's Djokovic. Coach Becker and I need to have a word or two.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7953 users online. 2 members and 7951 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X