2015 Miami Open…ATP 1000…Miami, Florida USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    So I have VIP box seats tomorrow for Djokovic and Murray. Based on what my ticket says and my familiarity with the stadium, I'm sitting just behind the player's box. Which player I'm not sure but I'm hoping it's Djokovic. Coach Becker and I need to have a word or two.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Can you wear your Tennisplyer.net T-shirt please and wave if the camera pans your way? Oh...and wave a banner with "John Yandell for President", please.

Thank you....
    Stotty

Comment

women's final

I watched most of the second set of the women's final today. Whatever else you want to say about her, you have to admit Serena can dominate the other women's players like no one else when she is playing well. Suarez Navarro was completely overmatched.

But the one great find for me, and it started in an earlier match, was Marion Bartoli as a commentator. I know she has the reputation as a Mensa member and she demonstrated it just a bit when she gave a detailed translation of what Suarez Navaro's coach had been telling her in one meeting during the second set. But the superb detailed memory was only incidental. The great thing was she was absolutely delightful to listen to. The accent was just right and she showed real enthusiasm for the players and the game. I was really impressed. This may have been just on TennisTV, but for the sake of the game, I hope some of the larger media channels heard her performance. I saw her in a post match interview a couple of years back and was duly impressed then, but this really blew me away. Of course I am probably imagining some French actress when I am listening to her voice, but the voice and the content was really terrific.

Anyone else notice this?

don

Comment

Serena…a Freak of Nature?

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
        I watched most of the second set of the women's final today. Whatever else you want to say about her, you have to admit Serena can dominate the other women's players like no one else when she is playing well. Suarez Navarro was completely overmatched.

Anyone else notice this?

don
        I noticed this too. I admit it. Like a little kitty cat against a lion. Serena sure does dominate all of the other woman like no one else. Like nobody ever has. I remember you calling Rafael Nadal a "freak of nature" but you resist with Serena. It's probably politically incorrect to say so.

Perhaps it wouldn't be seemly to call Serena a freak of nature. A Swedish friend of mine emailed from Spain yesterday. How did he put it…Google translate if you care to. He even mentions Nadal in the same sentence.

"Just nu sänder de damfinalen i Miami, Williams (det monstret) mot en liten spanjorska från Kanarieöarna, precis som Nadal."

Serena sure does dominate. It almost doesn't seem fair. There is a picture on CNN of Serena flexing her biceps for a photo op. I'd rather just see a close up of her hands.
        Last edited by don_budge; 04-04-2015, 11:17 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          I noticed this too. I admit it. Like a little kitty cat against a lion. Serena sure does dominate all of the other woman like no one else. Like nobody ever has. I remember you calling Rafael Nadal a "freak of nature" but you resist with Serena. It's probably politically incorrect to say so.

Perhaps it wouldn't be seemly to call Serena a freak of nature. A Swedish friend of mine emailed from Spain yesterday. How did he put it…Google translate if you care to. He even mentions Nadal in the same sentence.

"Just nu sänder de damfinalen i Miami, Williams (det monstret) mot en liten spanjorska från Kanarieöarna, precis som Nadal."

Serena sure does dominate. It almost doesn't seem fair. There is a picture on CNN of Serena flexing her biceps for a photo op. I'd rather just see a close up of her hands.
          That part about Serena is old news. Just revisiting.

What I was really amazed by was how good Bartoli was as a commentator.

don

Comment

Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray…Interesting or not?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            So I have VIP box seats tomorrow for Djokovic and Murray. Based on what my ticket says and my familiarity with the stadium, I'm sitting just behind the player's box. Which player I'm not sure but I'm hoping it's Djokovic. Coach Becker and I need to have a word or two.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Hope for the best. Novak probably won't actually destroy Andy Murray…even if he is feeling up to it. He should prop him up for a few rounds before body slamming him to the mat. Perhaps a bagel in the decider? Keeping in theme with the "Big Time Wrestling" mode of operation. A quick blitzkrieg would be counterproductive for the image of the sport. Why should Novak lose a game?

He appears to be so dominant now. He has everyone's number…save Federer's on a faster court. It should be a great vantage point for you…party, party!
            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              Can you wear your Tennisplyer.net T-shirt please and wave if the camera pans your way? Oh...and wave a banner with "John Yandell for President", please.

Thank you....
              I don't have a tennisplayer.net shirt but I will be wearing a gray 'Tomas Berdych' Signature shirt with black lettering. As for the sign of John Yandell for president, I'm all for it!!! But I don't think John is that much of a glutton for punishment taking over the highest office in the land. Besides, too much time i D.C. for John means less time in Mt. Lassen. And JY would not enjoy that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                That part about Serena is old news. Just revisiting.

What I was really amazed by was how good Bartoli was as a commentator.

don
                I did not watch the match, but I will take your word for it about Bartoli. She always seemed very genuine and likeable when interviewed as a player. I wish they would hire her to replace. Mary Carillo.

Comment

No, I like Mary Carillo. But this is great news about Marion Bartoli and I am sure Don is right and I can't wait to hear her.

Comment

Amazing how quick players catch on. Murray has learned from Federer the tactic of heavily pressuring Djokovic's second serve. Djokovic gets unnerved when players step right in to take it on his second serve. Murray was almost on the service line for one of them.

2-1 with a break to Murray...
                    Stotty

Comment

Broken right back...

Couldn't consolidate on the break…2-2. One of the announcers mentioned the word "toughness" as the difference the two. I think Lendl helped Murray in that regard and I really wonder what Mauresmo has to offer in this regard. I think tha the remainder of this match is going to shed some light on this subject.

Djokovic sometimes starts a bit tentatively but he has been finishing with a flourish.

Old news…about Mauresmo. I know. But that doesn't make it any less relevant. 3-2 Djokovic.

I've switched off the announcers already. Mark Petchy and Barry Millns.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                        Couldn't consolidate on the break…2-2. One of the announcers mentioned the word "toughness" as the difference the two. I think Lendl helped Murray in that regard and I really wonder what Mauresmo has to offer in this regard. I think tha the remainder of this match is going to shed some light on this subject.

Djokovic sometimes starts a bit tentatively but he has been finishing with a flourish.

Old news…about Mauresmo. I know. But that doesn't make it any less relevant. 3-2 Djokovic.

I've switched off the announcers already. Mark Petchy and Barry Mills (?).
                        Mark Petchy commentates every match. Drives me round the bend. He lived near me me...played him numerous times...horrible sod...head the size of China.

Murray will have to be gritty to win 5-5
                        Last edited by stotty; 04-05-2015, 10:01 AM.
                        Stotty

Comment

Good game by Murray to reach 6-6...really needs the first set.
                          Stotty

Comment

The Beaver…and Novak Djokovic

Just went out to check on the beaver. No activity before dark I guess. I played to a tie with my practice partner today. The beaver and I are tied too. I might have a slight advantage as I start to get into his head. His game. Much more interesting than this match…I'm afraid to say.

Murray needs this set alright. He has never beaten Novak from a set down.
                            don_budge

Comment

The Beaver…and Novak Djokovic

Just went out to check on the beaver. No activity before dark I guess. I played to a tie with my practice partner today. The beaver and I are tied too. I might have a slight advantage as I start to get into his head. His game. Much more interesting than this match…I'm afraid to say.

Murray needs this set alright. He has never beaten Novak from a set down.

Set point to Djokovic. Make that set to Djokovic.
                              don_budge

Comment

Set down...needs to find the beaver in himself now. Djokovic looks a little sapped so you never know.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7951 users online. 2 members and 7949 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X