Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response to One Hand Backhand Blog

Tennisplayer Community,

The response to my last blog piece has been amazing. If you missed it, I basically was making the point that the one-handed backhand is alive and should be much more lauded, utilized and taught.

Here's the link:

And here is the litany of responses!

I switched to a one hander when I was around 10 or so. It's now a great weapon for me. And in my 40s I don't move as well (and never moved like pro or even close) and I really appreciate the ability to reach further with a one hander when I have to. I can vary my grip and get more or less topspin and when I have time to set up I can destroy the ball. I slice and volley and just love the freedom and flexibility of the one hander. Tommy Hass' I actually prefer to Stan's. I think Hass has a more compact and cleaner stroke. I think it's the best one hander in the game. His backhand return is fantastic. Stan's is awesome too though.

Ralph Axel
    New York City

My one-handed backhand has been historically the best one-handed backhand I’ve ever had…I think that says it all. Rod

Very interesting email.
    I would agree with your comments.
    Interestingly enough here in Ireland I am seeing a lot more juniors using the one hand backhand to great effect and maybe it's because of Stan who is very well known in Europe.

I string at the Irish home Davis Cup matches for the past few years and again I see some of the Irish lads on the periphery of the Davis Cup team playing with a one handed backhand.

Anyway, keep up the great work you do with TennisPlayer.Net.

Regards,
    Peter

Very thoughtful piece you wrote.

My thinking is that the two-hander is one of the biggest game-changers of the last 40-50 years. On its own, as a stroke, it has a lot going for it that the one-hander doesn't.
    - Indeed, there are a good amount of one-handers among the elite -- and these days, in pro tennis, that one-hander better be darn good.
    - But I also think in some ways the one-hander's beauty is its downfall. Just so hard at the pro level to sustain excellence with it, particularly in today's slow court game that's mostly about forceful defense.
    - So in this sense, the two-hander is such a big-time shot.

- On the other hand, seeing two-handers deployed by civilians -- along with the Western forehand -- is in many ways strangling the recreational game. As you wisely point out, the skill set is horribly narrow. How does someone who learns to play like that build engagement with this sport for a lifetime? I even see this these days when I watch many people born after 1970 play singles and doubles -- negligible ability to mix up speeds and spins, horrible transition skills, pitiful volleys. Jeez, is someone past the age of 28 really going to enjoy tennis playing like Borg? Even Borg got bored doing this.
    ... and let's not get started on people who teach themselves a two-hander and will likely end up with injuries . Alas . . .
    Best,
    Joel Drucker

You are absolutely correct – as the two-handed population ages up, it would be interesting to see how many 50 year olds can still hit a two handed backhand. When players are young and hit with lots of spin it’s an advantage to be able to handle a high ball – this is what a two handed backhand gives you. As players age, the spin is gone and a one handed backhand is easier to handle the lower balls. I bet the current crop of two handers just quit the game as they age because it’s too difficult.
    Cliff Meagh

I think as long as you use an eastern forehand it is pretty easy to take a hand off for some slice and easy to back hand volley. Plus two hands is easier to come over on a backhand approach. See raonic slicing to the open court on approaches against fed instead of coming over.

Mathew Anderson

Good take on the issue.

An interesting example at the pro level is 21-year-old Dominic Thiem, who made his move on the ATP (currently 52) after his coach Gunter Bresnik switched him from a two-hander to a one-hander that is perhaps his best shot.

As for the impact on the recreational example, as a mere weekend hacker I suspect it is a bit like the severe Western forehand grip -- makes sense at the pro level because of the constant, high bouncing balls, but we don't see those are my level. Similarly, the strengths of the two-hander on the pro level -- handling balls above the shoulder and stability in service returns -- as also less relevant.

I can't comment on player development, it's outside my scope, but intellectually I found comments by Jim Courier and Philipp Kohlschreiber about hybrid one-handers appealing. Instead of grafting slice onto a two-hander, they suggest the possible evolution of using the one-hander as the base stroke and adding the left hand for the subset of shots where that has an advantage.

jim

I am not a coach but I love the game. One question that I keep asking myself is would it be so sacrilegious to think that, maybe, just maybe, one could actually learn both techniques and work on when to use one of them depending on the situation? I mean, granted, Tsonga is not the top player he once was but, he is one who, as a two-hand backhander would not mind resorting to one-hand backhand when he felt he would need it, didn't he? How many times have we seen him, on a running backhand situation resorting to a brushed one-hand backhand stroke instead of a defensive slice? If one could master both techniques, wouldn't he be a better rounded player?

Guy Pisapia

"The Two Handed Back-Hand is a waste of good talent for inmmediate results." Peter Burwash I agree.

Regards,
    Miguel

John, I agree completely. Which is why you need to somehow get some footage of the best one handed backhand of the open era -- Petr Korda! There is no decent analysis of his technique anywhere on the Internet. And he could rally quite comfortably cross court with Lendl's forehand. Please get some video!

Stephen

I agree with you ! IMHO the faster the courts get (again) the more one handed backhands can have a positive effect on a player’s game. even if the top world pros will hit two handers in future. the distinct advantage is the versatility you get with better slices, better chips, better backhand volleys - these strokes become simply more important at fast courts.
    So, long live the one handers !

cheers
    alex
    Last edited by johnyandell; 03-26-2015, 11:13 AM.

And here are more!

Your email touched something I've been thinking about recently, spurred by reading your article about one handers in your most recent issue, specifically, your thoughts in the last paragraph regarding the way in which the two-hander generally becomes obsolete in one's 30s and 40s. By way of background, I'm a USPTA pro. I own my own court, but have a pretty active program, with about 60 players, including about 40 juniors.

As a player, I've gone back and forth. I learned a one hander in high school, and played primarily as a hard serving power baseliner, so I generally didn't use the shot. I used both shots in college. Post college, I converted to serve-volley play and began using the one-hander exclusively. I developed tendinitis in my right elbow, switched back to a two-hander and converted to play as a baseline counterpuncher--the game. However, I can play with either shot, and generally switch back and forth, depending on how many balls I'm holding in my hand. I've taught both shots to adult players, based on their expressed preference, and I feel comfortable teaching either.

I had never taught a junior player to hit a one-handed topspin backhand until recently (which I will detail in the next paragraph). However, I teach the slice generally within the first month of lessons--I make it a priority even with the smallest students that they take a hand off the racquet on their backhand side to build racquet face awareness. It's not something I've always done, so it's striking to me how my longtime students have awkward looking slice backhands, while more recent students look entirely natural and turn to it's use appropriately. I begin with dead ball, handfeed drills to introduce its use on balls when one is stretched wide, but I rapidly move to live ball control drills, and then integrate it into short court games in which kids must hit all balls with underspin and can only use one hand on backhands.Since most of my curriculum is game-based, I try to force its use in games in the early stages of player development. I've noticed that kids seem to have an easier time learning the backhand volley if I move from short court underspin backhand groundstrokes to volleys than vice versa.

Though I've taught one-handers to adults over the years, I admit that I've lacked the courage to do so with juniors. As you've noted, the arm strength is rarely there to stabilize the racquet face during contact on a topspin racquet path. However, one of my players broke his non-dominant hand a year ago. He pretty quickly drove his mom nuts, so she started bringing him to clinics in a cast. He's a special player--he loves learning, he'll try new things, he's always positive and he never, ever decelerates on his strokes. So he played with a one-handed slice exclusively during that period and developed a strong shot. When he got back use of his second hand, I noticed that he had altered his takeaway on his backhand in a strange way. I kept watching it, noting how inconsistent his two-hander had become (both the timing and his ability to generate appropriate power with the shot were diminished), until one day, I had an epiphany. His takeaway, including the height his right hand rose to on the backswing, and the way he set his right shoulder, resembled a one-hander. I sent him home with some links to Justine Henin, Roger Federer, and Stan Wawrinka backhand videos, and suggested he watch them and consider whether he'd like to make the change. We began with short court rallies with red balls, and within a few weeks, he'd made the conversion. His one hander is already stronger than his two hander was, and, while he's always been an aggressive allcourt player, he's much more opportunistic now off short balls to his backhand, coming to net whenever possible.

Thanks for helping tennis instructors like myself keep the long term picture in mind. I've never been a coach who strives for ranked juniors; I like to think I'm giving people a game they can play and love their whole lives, and if I push kids to develop too early, I'm risking burnout and kids leaving the game in their late teens. It's worth considering the trajectory of the average player's playing career, and how they'll spend more of their lives needing a one-handed backhand than they will slugging two-handers in baseline marathons.

Best,
    Michael Gerard

It's important to point out that 50% of the success of the single handed is its disguise element which the double doesn't have. It's still a flawed shot though at pro level(except for stan)unless volleys come back into the game then it's a real weapon. In terms of recreational tennis it's a real weapon, slice approach and volley , say no more. Wish I had one.
    Niall

Great stuff as always. I'm biased since I've always had a one handed backhand but I can say that when I play a young buck (I'm 50) they tend to hit tons of topspin and can handle my topspin forehand no sweat. But the slice is a killer for them. They hate it and some get so frustrated and angry they blow up in the match. This year I've even added a forehand slice because the mixture of that with the topspin can be very effective.

Having said that I am not sure that the one-hander is definitely better but worth trying just in case. If the two-hander works better for a person they should go with it but there is something fun about having a one-hander.

Kris Tutle

A GOOD analysis - right on!!

Dick Gould
    Last edited by johnyandell; 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Children aren't' strong enough to hit a one hander well. One hand dominated until Connors/Borg/Evert made inroads, Frew McMillan/others notwithstanding. Until the strength issue is dealt with children won't ever want to learn a one hander, and now they are all taught to run around everything they can no matter the territorial cost. There is one man in the world off one hand that can handle nadal's topspin: and he's not Federer.

Comment

10 and under tennis is changing that.

Comment

I'd like to see a guy with fed/nadal combo forehand, stanimals bh, raonic serve, edberg volley, sampras accuracy, all with one handed determination to kill all comers. Not going to happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
            I'd like to see a guy with fed/nadal combo forehand, stanimals bh, raonic serve, edberg volley, sampras accuracy, all with one handed determination to kill all comers. Not going to happen though.
            A player like that would be a head case. Too many choices for each point.

Comment

I got the email John. I read the email. I love the email. Spot on. Tremendous stuff. But certainly not surprised as its coming from you. Great work.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Another interesting comment:

Clearly for some players the two hander is not an option. I have coached many players who are very one handed. So the use of the opposite hand just gets in the way and holds the racquet back.
                Clearly even the great Federer backhand is his weakness. Warrinka' is better and actually makes the other player try to avoid it when it's on.
                I think Sampras is a poor choice of the one hander being a great shot. Did he win from his backhand or Was it his serves and volleys? At Rolland Garros where his serve was more returnable and he hit more backhands, his record is awful. Sure there are other factors like sliding but an amazing 1 hander would surely have win him a few more matches there.
                I think your point however is for Sampras, the two hander may have been worse.
                Of course if you go with the 1 hander you better make it awesome. I don't agree a greater % off 1 handers make it. Of the ones that survive maybe but most will not survive or will change.
                Ultimately I feel both need to be taught but if I have a player that can do both, double hander topy with 1 hand slice and volley is the way to go.
                With the power of the serve, the heavy rallies and need for angles and disguise, I believe a good two hander is superior in these areas.
                There are 6 in the top 20 with 2 handers but do 5 of them have their 1 hander as their weakness? If 1 hander is so good wouldnt it be 14 and not 6?
                Are you saying Novak, Murray and Nadal can't slice or backhand volley? Nadal's slice is very ugly but very effective. Andy his a sweet slice and Novak gets the job done.
                In your last point of the growth of the sport, I also disagree. Most players will have greater success with two hands so will stay in the game longer. The majority are not going to put the work in required and would possibly quit in frustration. The amount of missed 1 handers required is not great for a beginners confidence which can affect the rest of their game also.
                The 1 hander is a lovely looking shot and I also love the variety of having serve and volley players. I think there will always be 1 handers for the reasons I mentioned above. I hope there will also always be serve and volley.
                However tennis is not platform diving or gymnastics. A judge does not give you "style" or "pretty" points. In this case I would support 1 handers. But in a game where performing under extreme pressure is the name of the game, the two hander is clearly winning.
                Danny

Comment

Here's an opposing view from a guy who was in the top twenty, beat a ton of top players, won an Aussie doubles title and was in a Aussie singles final.
                  Remember him? Kim Warwick. Check out his coaching experience with one-handers:

In my opinion the only advantage a two hander has is with return of serve and topspin lob. There has been an average of 15 one handers in the top 100 over the last 20 years and in that time the percentages taught to young students worldwide has been approximately 1-50. That makes me feel that a one hander is better than a two hander by a big margin. The average player in local competitions has an enormous advantage with a one hander even though coaches invariably teach young kids to hit with a two hander for the short term enjoyment of their parents.
                  I have had 14 No.1’s here in Australia since 1994 and 7 of those were one handers. 3 achieved a ranking in the 100’s whilst none of the two handers made it past 350. I have also had over 100 students reach national level with approximately 50% being one handers.
                  At the Australian Open I watched Feliancio Lopez for the first time and he showed me that a serve volleyer can make it top 10 in today’s tennis if they sped up the courts 5-10%

Keep up the good work John,

Kim

Comment

The New York Times…A propaganda rag

"Recently the New York Times Magazine published an article announcing the death of the one-handed backhand. The basic point was Roger Federer couldn't exchange backhands with Rafael Nadal's forehand, and therefore the stroke was obsolete."

The New York Times is a propaganda rag. This statement…as everything in life and tennis is a clue to how they use information and the lack of it to contort and distort the truth.

One of the biggest contributing factors to Roger's inability to handle the Nadal forehand has been the disparity in the equipment. All of these years we have witnessed a debacle of monstrous proportions as Federer has given his closest competitors such a clear advantage over himself. His recent resurgence is "Living Proof" that the size of the racquet is the sole largest contributor to all things playing tennis shots in the style of modern tennis.

The comparison of Bjorn Borg using a Prince Graphite and John McEnroe using a Dunlop Maxply comes to mind. I am certain that Borg's topspin forehand would have made mincemeat out of McEnroe but as it stood McEnroe had all of the means at his disposal to neutralize the relative strengths of Borg to make it an even proposition. The reverse is also true.

The game has been ruthlessly engineered and pimped ever since the big money came into the game back 1968 and all of the propaganda covering up these simple facts and misconstruing the truth has lead to the demise of the game in general…not just the one hand backhand.

This nonsense about the death of the one hand backhand is pure Orwellian malarky. The bad news is it is old news. There aren't that many alive to know the truth and there are even fewer that will actually tell it.

"The essential English leadership secret does not depend on particular intelligence. Rather, it depends on a remarkably stupid thick-headedness. The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous." Guess who?

Tennis lied big to us alright. Tennis went from Dunlop Maxply Fort to Prince Graphite in the wink of a young girl's eye. They have been consistent in their lie too. One cannot even recognize tennis for what it was. We like to lie to ourselves…we like to think to ourselves that we are superior to the past…superior to the old ways. Old is old…and irrelevant.

This kind of thinking tends to contribute to a whole planet of people to lose their way. Tennis…and the New York Times are merely helping the sheeple on their way. It helps for a nation of people to be convinced that they are “exceptional” when in reality they are not. They are just like all of the rest of the peoples of the planet. Susceptible to lies and chicanery. They have been sold seven invasions of foreign countries under the guise of their very own national security when in reality they had a better chance of being hit by a car.

Professional tennis more and more begins to resemble Big Time Wrestling. The death of the one hand backhand is a symptom...not the disease.

Please read the article below...if you are remotely interested in what kind of world you are living in. Otherwise...Party On Wayne!!!

don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Wow it just keeps going! Here is another two-handed argument:

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic! It makes for a fun conversation.

Here are just some facts you left off your comments:

1. First off you inaccurately speak of one handed backhands without describing the type of one-handed backhand. 99% of all men pros have a one-handed backhand--a backhand slice which has become a required tool in the tool box. Notice how both Mats Willander and Nadal successfully developed a usable slice backhand late in their careers. Witness Roger's exquisite dismantling of Raonic with his precision backhand slices. Few of the women have developed an effective slice backhand because their pros and coaches haven't taught them this extraordinarily important shot.

2. Secondly you didn't mention women. I think at this point every woman in the top ten has a 2-handed topspin backhand. Any one-handed TS backhands you'll see in the women's game can't hold a candle to the two-handed topspin weapons of Serena, Maria, or many others. No comparison. Certainly Henin had a good one, but it was still limited compared to the top two-handed TS BH's in the women's game.

3. In both the men's and women's game, 99% of all players who hit with one-handed topspin backhands succeed in spite of their one-handed TS backhands not because of it. It's a liability they have to protect and they generally use it sparingly. Certainly there are few one-handed TS backhanders who have strong return of serves on the backhand side, but in both the men's and women's game the two-handed TSBH is a huge advantage when returning serve, especially when complementing an effective slice backhand.

4. The urban myth that Peter Sampras became a better player because he switched to a two-hander is not based on the real facts. He had the best and most effective serve in the history of the game which gave him a huge advantage. He could hit out on the returning games because he knew he wasn't going to be broken--a huge advantage. In my view he would have been a much better player with a two-hand TS backhand. To say that Pete ever beat Andre because of his backhand is almost laughable. And as you all know he didn't really volley that much anyway. He would serve and get ready for the next point. And of course on clay, his backhand was picked on repeatedly by any number of players.

5. Stan's one-handed TS backhand is indeed a weapon, but hardly the biggest weapon in the game. I think Roger's TSFH is a much bigger weapon and there are any number of ATP TSFH's that are more of a weapon than Stan's excellent TSBH. In addition, I would take Novak's two-hander any day of the week. It might not be as powerful but it is more consistent, better placed, and he has the major advantage of being able to return and pass in extrarordinary ways that a one hander could only dream of. And on top of this, Stan's TSBH is streaky. When his timing is off a bit, his game falls apart and this is one reason why his overall consistency in playing against the top players is sketchy.

6. As a coach of juniors, I love it when my students are facing a player with a one-hand TSBH, you know that high and heavy balls deep to the bh will cause them fits and you can approach net way more easily. It's such an obvious weakness sometimes I feel guilty having my players pick on this deficiency.

7. A two-handed topspin backhand is such a major advantage on clay it almost seems unfair. On clay, it's a rare day when a player with a one-handed topspin backhand will beat Nadal. His 2-handed TS backhand is a (no pun intended) a revolutionary shot!

8. Yes, Roger and Stan have excellent TSBH's but Roger can't beat Nadal because his one-handed TSBH can't handle Nadal's high and heavies. As I said Stan is streaky! If, as a pro, you are trying to identify at an early age the next Stan, that's a tough one to figure out. We all know people develop and grow in much different ways. Maybe it's in the genetic makeup of the Swiss? :-) But I have seen so many young players attempt to hit a one-hander and see them eventually quit the game or lose interest because it's such a liability. They start to blame themselves rather than acknowledging that they need to add the second hand!!!

9. Your criticism of American junior coaches is a bit amusing because there are so many tennis professionals I know who still prefer the one-handed topspin backhand. Criticizing tennis professionals because there are so few one-handed TSBH's is comparable to blaming tennis coaches for all the topspin forehands juniors hit instead of continental flat forehands, or overhanded serves instead of underhanded serves, or generally hitting short volleys instead of deep volleys. All of these things are standard for one simple reason they make you a much better player. In the case of this conversation, a two handed topspin backhand is far superior to a one-handed topspin backhand. Any advantages of a one-handed TSBH disappear when a player owns an adequate one-handed slice backhand.

Finally, I hope that you convince more players to use one-handed TS backhands because it makes it so much easier for the student I coach to win!

Good conversation and bring it on!

Laury Hammel, Member of USTA New England Hall of Fame and coach of nationally ranked players every year since 1973.

Comment

A great one-hander conversion story about a female junior player!

This occurred when I was the Director of High Performance at the Peachtree City Tennis Center in Georgia. Natalie was in my High Performance group and she also took private lessons from me as well as another pro that worked for me in HP. After working with her for about 6 to 8 months I was never comfortable with her two handed backhand. It was always the side that tended to break down. This was about 12 years ago and at that time backhands were less about being a weapon and more about being bullet proof. Natalie was a very good, multi talented athlete. Sometimes when we were picking up balls she would drop one and hit a one handed backhand over to me. I kind of liked what I saw so I asked her to hit a few more to me. I then backed her up to the baseline an fed her some balls an asked her to keep hitting the one handed shot. We stayed with it for about a half hour and at the end I called her over and said I think we should give it a shot. I mentioned it to the other Pro and he was a little hesitant but then said lets try it. If I remember correctly, Natalie was ranked roughly in the 30 range in the USTA Southern region at that time. After switching to the one handed backhand she dropped into the 60 to 70 range. By the time she aged up into the 16's she was top 5 in the South. She then went to UT and the rest is history.
                        Dwayne Clegg

Comment

DB,

And don't forget the multiple lie strategy. What Orwell called the big lie. If you tell enough lies and just keep going your opponents will never be able to correct them all.

This is more a general point and not apropo of any of the comments here on the backhand. And personally I like the NY Times. They do print too much bad news though.

Comment

The 4 forms of political and corporate lies…

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                            DB,

And don't forget the multiple lie strategy. What Orwell called the big lie. If you tell enough lies and just keep going your opponents will never be able to correct them all.

This is more a general point and not apropo of any of the comments here on the backhand. And personally I like the NY Times. They do print too much bad news though.
                            Actually it was Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels that were the proponents of the "Big Lie" theory.

Don't forget to read the article at the end of the post. The 4 forms of corporate and political lies. These types of lies have an insidious way of filtering down and infecting our lives…even in our decision making process of hitting one-handed or two-handed backhands.

But I do believe that the loss of one-handed backhands is a product of systematic propaganda and lies…much as the loss of net play or all court tennis in general. I was there when it started…or rather when it ended…as you were.

But of course…you are right. This is only general philosophical musings and "not apropo of any of the comments here on the backhand." If it's inappropriate then I beg your pardon.

But it is interesting to note that we seem to agree about the one-hand backhand in general.

I love this comment by Kim Warwick…

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                            At the Australian Open I watched Feliancio Lopez for the first time and he showed me that a serve volleyer can make it top 10 in today’s tennis if they sped up the courts 5-10%

Kim
                            It is sort of a truth regarding the speed of the court but the omissions are monstrous. He makes a good point about the courts…but conveniently omits that when he was playing tennis the racquets were fully 50% smaller. I wonder if that little omitted piece of information has had any influence on the two-handed backhand relative to the one-handed.

Last edited by don_budge; 03-27-2015, 02:01 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge
                            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Hold on a minute...

Interesting comments about the one hander. But I would ask you look at the other side of the coin:

Look at all the discrimination the two-hander received until it final broke through 40 years ago. The two-hander was derided and players were routinely dissuaded from using it. It took the monumental achievements of three players (collectively), Borg, Connors and Evert to break that spell.

Things have since swung the other way and all coaches know why but in all fairness the two-hander can be a beautiful shot also.

I found a clip some time ago of a twelve year old Sidney Wood hitting a forehand with a semi-western grip. Ten years later he was continental. Was that semi-western coached out of him? Was Sidney Wood and players like him ahead of time? Or are coaching myths incredibly stubborn?

I suggest all the coaches leave the room and let the players decide.
                              Last edited by stotty; 03-27-2015, 04:32 AM.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8235 users online. 7 members and 8228 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X