Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novak Djokovic defeats Kevin Anderson 67, 67, 61, 64, 75

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Novak Djokovic/Kevin Anderson versus Marin Cilic…inconclusive at this point. But once again Cilic is jockeying for the position of "The Sleeper". Djokovic doesn't look to be himself…he appears to be hindered somewhat. It could be mental fatigue as he cited going home after the French to recharge his batteries. His lack of grass court play is going to tell now and he is not going to make it through…if he gets by Anderson he has to subdue Cilic and possibly Wawrinka although it would make his life easier if it was Gasquet. Anderson was putting a lot of pressure on the slippery Serb yesterday but couldn't quite nail him down. On the other hand…the prospect of a rematch with Cilic and Djokovic could prove to be really interesting and it is one that Cilic is maybe longing for. He ran out of gas in the fifth set against Djokovic last year…it would be interesting to see if he learned his lesson.

Peter Fleming felt that Kevin Anderson was lucky to have the match suspended after four sets. He had pretty much shot his load over the first two sets and Novak Djokovic was about to apply the finishing touches to his "rope-a-dope" performance. Djokovic was clinging to the ropes for the first two sets sort of allowing Anderson to punch himself out. He was tagging him the last two sets and for all we know it may have been a classic Djokovic bagel in the final set if they had played to completion.

Anderson had one glimmer of opportunity in the final set as he had 15-40 on the Djokovic serve only to have the door slammed in his face. He then showed how the occasion can get to these guys when he double faulted twice in his last service game allowing Djokovic to routinely serve out the match.

So now we have the rematch of the quarterfinal last year where Djokovic prevailed 61, 36, 67, 62, 62. He won yet again going away. He leaves the opposition in his wake as he motors to the finish line. He beats these guys largely by attrition…intelligently working them and moving them and effectively wearing them out. Sort of like a matador before he applies the kill shot between the shoulder blades. The tennis equivalent of a bagel set.

Maybe Cilic can summon the courage and the intestinal fortitude to deliver on the big stage this time. He has a U. S. Open crown now and one would think that this might make a difference. It may or may not. One way that it could make a huge difference is if he can summon the serving excellence that he performed at the Open. With that kind of firepower he might just be able to take out the slippery and deceptive Serb. At least he could soften him up a bit for the next round…which may be a rematch of the French final between Djokovic and Wawrinka.

Djokovic does own Cilic with an even dozen shellackings in a row. Does Cilic play the Vitas Gerulaitis card and say to himself that "nobody beats Marin Cilic 13 times in a row" or does he succumb to yet another shellacking? Djokovic has absolutely spanked him the last two times they have played. Cilic was heard muttering that he wished his mother had never had him after the last one. A 60, 63 embarrassment in Monte Carlo this year.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves and just enjoy the tennis as it unfolds. But the Wimbledon just took a deft turn into the interesting zone. Four quarterfinal matches to come…is it going to be Djokovic vs. Wawrinka and Murray vs. Federer. But then again anything is possible.
    Last edited by don_budge; 07-07-2015, 09:05 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Richard Gasquet vs. Stan Wawrinka (match of tomorrow)

Richard Gasquet has emerged as perhaps the surprise of the tournament. He has beaten three solid players in a row with the loss of only one set. His victories over Grigor Dimitrov and Nick Kyrgios took out a couple of potentially brilliant players who are just possibly trapped in their own personnas.

This match with Stan Wawrinka is really going to put him on the radar if he makes a match of it. It is a big time stage and the time is prime for him to make a statement. Wawrinka certainly has something to say in the matter of course. If he slams the door in Gasquet's face he is going to be sending a message to Djokovic (or Cilic) in the semis.
      don_budge

Comment

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/score.../ms/msdraw.pdf

Maybe Cilic can summon the courage and the intestinal fortitude to deliver on the big stage this time. He has a U. S. Open crown now and one would think that this might make a difference. It may or may not. One way that it could make a huge difference is if he can summon the serving excellence that he performed at the Open. With that kind of firepower he might just be able to take out the slippery and deceptive Serb. At least he could soften him up a bit for the next round…which may be a rematch of the French final between Djokovic and Wawrinka.

Djokovic does own Cilic with an even dozen shellackings in a row. Does Cilic play the Vitas Gerulaitis card and say to himself that "nobody beats Marin Cilic 13 times in a row" or does he succumb to yet another shellacking? Djokovic has absolutely spanked him the last two times they have played. Cilic was heard muttering that he wished his mother had never had him after the last one. A 60, 63 embarrassment in Monte Carlo this year.
        I thought Anderson might nick that fifth set the way things were going. He was playing so well, then he flinched....two doubles in a row. That was all it took to lose the match. You can't flinch...not for a moment...and definitely not at 5-5 in the fifth.

If Cilic can get his serve together and his mind together he may not be the easy kill he's been for Djokovic in the past. Djokovic's draw hasn't panned out to be as straight forward as many thought, while Federer has had it easier than many thought. I think Cilc might be a tough opponent for Djokovic. I feel Simon will be an easy kill for Roger. We'll soon find out.

Yesterday McEnroe was making noises about having a clock on court that counts down the seconds allowed between points. His endorsing my idea. He thinks it's the only way to go because it takes away the inconsistencies, removes the fear umpires currently have to take action. It will be an addition the Hawk-eye that will make the game more exciting. He's right. Mac is dead right.

I have to say I am hoping for the predicted semis and that there are no upsets. The top four men are playing well and it will be great to see them shoot it out for a place in the final. Murray has never played better. Federer is just a dream to watch right now. Wawrinka is bang on form. Djokovic is a little off his best which puts him at the same level as the other three. Everyone is in with a shout...an even shout in my book.
        Last edited by stotty; 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

Last Minute Thoughts…2015 Wimbledon Quarterfinals

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          I have to say I am hoping for the predicted semis and that there are no upsets. The top four men are playing well and it will be great to see them shoot it out for a place in the final. Murray has never played better. Federer is just a dream to watch right now. Wawrinka is bang on form. Djokovic is a little off his best which puts him at the same level as the other three. Everyone is in with a shout...an even shout in my book.
          Novak Djokovic vs. Marin Cilic…just a great matchup. Looking back at the last year quarterfinal when Cilic lost in five sets and back to Cilic's U. S. Open win last year we can witness the education of a tennis players. Such an interesting perspective. What has he learned? He has learned that for him to play the highest level possible he just has to let it hang out and be fatalistic about the whole deal. Win, lose or draw…he has to go out with guns blazing. For Djokovic's part we witness his growing list of credentials and experience. At some point he just says to himself while looking in the mirror…"I am the best in the world", and then goes out believing just that and playing the role. Wonderful Wimbledon quarterfinal drama.

Stanislas Wawrinka vs. Richard Gasquet…we all are aware of Stanislas' success in winning two Grand Slams on two different surfaces. This goes without saying that he is the favorite in this match. A heavy favorite. But that is almost besides the point because here we are with two one-handed backhand players facing off in a huge venue. Who said that the one-handed backhand is dead? They were wrong. But the real kicker here is that Gasquet came out of a quarterfinal part of the draw that had Milos Raonic, Grigor Dimitrov, Nick Gyrgios and himself. He emerged as the victor. Who would have thought? So here he is and he has stated that he is not just happy to be a quarterfinalist here at Wimbledon. Another superlative match…potentially.

Andy Murray vs. Vasek Pospisil…too much to hope for? Pospisil is of course a huge underdog. The positives that he has going for him? The hopes of youth, his doubles victory in the finals on Centre Court at Wimbledon last year and the fact that he has played a ton of tennis this past two weeks on grass. He is getting his feet under him. The negatives? Andy Murray is an expert at taking your feet out from under you. Hope for a great performance from Pospisil and at the same time prepare for Murray to knock him out cold. Early. It will probably be something in between.

Roger Federer vs. Gilles Simon…at first glance one might tend to think nothing to be concerned about. A guaranteed knockout for "The Swiss Maestro" aka "The Living Proof". Another splendid one-handed backhand and all court tactics. This is a splendid opportunity for Roger to further get prepared for a potential match up with Andy Murray. He must press the agenda forwards…attack at every opportunity and above all…serve lights out and intelligently. But this is what he does…he is only sharpening his claws. I am not certain what I would advise Simon to do in this particular matchup except…run Rabbit run!

Just a couple last minute thoughts. "The Big Four" has a new look now. Rafael Nadal has been replaced by Stan Wawrinka. This is a leap forward in the right direction. Two one-handed backhands now in the top four. The projected semi-finals couldn't be more predictable and don't forget the final! I am definitely looking forwards to seeing as much of the remaining tennis as possible. Anticipating some great action.

It wouldn't surprise me if John McEnroe has it dead right. He usually does when he limits his discussion to tennis. Maybe you caught some of his act on EuroSport Stotty…he gave some rather scathing and comic bits on the state of modern tennis. The time factor was one of them.
          Last edited by don_budge; 07-08-2015, 12:36 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

Djokovic vs. Wawrinka
            Murray vs. Federer

Don't see any upsets happening in the quarters.
            Federer looks good, real good. Scary good.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Djokovic vs. Wawrinka
              Murray vs. Federer

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Pospisil is playing well...sneaks into the net beautifully...like old school. Pospisil is good for a set if he can keep it up. I like him. He volleys well.
              Stotty

Comment

Richard Gasquet…The Sleeper

Djokovic vs. Wawrinka
                Murray vs. Federer

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Richard Gasquet becomes "The Sleeper" in the draw. A beautiful match between himself and the other "Swiss Maestro" Stan Wawrinka. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls…the bell tolls for thee"...Richard seized his opportunity by the throat and held on with some real courage. Showing no nerves he defeats Wawrinka 11-9 in the fifth set.

A splendid match between two one-handed backhand players in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon. Gasquet had just enough nuance to offset the brute strength of Wawrinka. The match of the quarterfinals…easily.

Best of luck against "The Grim Reaper"…Novak Djokovic.
                Last edited by don_budge; 07-08-2015, 11:27 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

Best of luck against "The Grim Reaper"…Novak Djokovic.
                  He will need it....

Richard Krajicek was asked what he thought of Roger's chances of winning Wimbledon. He said he Roger was playing the best of the four men but was doubtful he could defeat Murray then Djokovic back to back. He said it was so tiring to play Murray and Djokovic that he considered it a bordering on impossible task.

Let's hope Gasquet pulls off the upset of the century...
                  Last edited by stotty; 07-08-2015, 02:04 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Djokovic vs. Wawrinka
                    Murray vs. Federer

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

LOL.

What the hell do I know?

That Gasquet-Wawrinka match was interesting though.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

• "What the hell do I know?"…Richard Gasquet vs. Stan Wawrinka

LOL.

What the hell do I know?

That Gasquet-Wawrinka match was interesting though.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Yeah…what the hell do any of us really know? That's why they play these things out.

Clearly…a lot of people just don't understand period. They don't understand the game as it is…they don't understand the game as it was and they sure as hell have no idea where the game is headed. But that's ok…ignorance is bliss. Tennis serves as a splendid metaphor for life if you truly understand both…tennis and life. Its the irony of the game…its the irony of life.
                      Life is the only game…where the object of the game is to learn the rules!

Stanislas Wawrinka versus Richard Gasquet…one can already imagine some of the backhand exchanges. I find myself pulling for Gasquet for some reason. There is nothing to dislike about Wawrinka but Gasquet's performance in taking out the "Jerk from Down Under" makes him my pick. Kyrgios is enough in himself but with his fans making all of the unnecessary and uncouth noise throughout the whole match is way beyond the lines of sportsmanship. It would be Kyrgios' responsibility to ask them to cease and desist and I'm afraid that if it was me playing against him/them that I would find my way up to them threatening to silence them myself. I'm sure that this sort of "howling monkey" behavior is amusing to some of the lower primates but I find it totally obnoxious. Stan is hitting it big as usual and appears to be in fine form. I watched him against both Verdasco and Goffin. But it appears to me that Gasquet has just a bit of nuance to him…the kind of nuance that can keep the big hitter off balance yet able to bring it himself…he hit a couple of huge winners in the deciding tie-break. They are 1-1 head to head with Wawrinka winning a 2013 match at Roland Garros in five tough sets. It's difficult to imaging Wawrinka losing in this situation…let's pay careful attention to his service motion and all of the possible implications it may have on this match. Gasquet's motion is quite a contrast…less energy used. Perhaps more efficient in the end? What an interesting and compelling match this should prove to be.
                      Richard Gasquet has emerged as perhaps the surprise of the tournament. He has beaten three solid players in a row with the loss of only one set. His victories over Grigor Dimitrov and Nick Kyrgios took out a couple of potentially brilliant players who are just possibly trapped in their own personnas.

This match with Stan Wawrinka is really going to put him on the radar if he makes a match of it. It is a big time stage and the time is prime for him to make a statement. Wawrinka certainly has something to say in the matter of course. If he slams the door in Gasquet's face he is going to be sending a message to Djokovic (or Cilic) in the semis.
                      Stanislas Wawrinka vs. Richard Gasquet…we all are aware of Stanislas' success in winning two Grand Slams on two different surfaces. This goes without saying that he is the favorite in this match. A heavy favorite. But that is almost besides the point because here we are with two one-handed backhand players facing off in a huge venue. Who said that the one-handed backhand is dead? They were wrong. But the real kicker here is that Gasquet came out of a quarterfinal part of the draw that had Milos Raonic, Grigor Dimitrov, Nick Gyrgios and himself. He emerged as the victor. Who would have thought? So here he is and he has stated that he is not just happy to be a quarterfinalist here at Wimbledon. Another superlative match…potentially.
                      I had watched a good deal of the Dimitrov match as well as the Kyrgios matches with Richard Gasquet. He really impressed me in both of them. Both opponents certainly have bigger serves than he does and both seemed to have him outgunned in just about every category…except that beautiful backhand. But what the hell do I know either? Well…I know what I know. I just explore the possibilities on that basis.

Stanislas Wawrinka, Grigor Dimitrov and Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios are all huge hitters but this little bit of "nuance" from the Gasquet game was enough to send them all packing. I think it surprised everyone how he has come through this draw. It was arguably one of the tougher sections in the draw. He not only has come through but he has come through in an elegant and yet courageous display of lawn tennis using his intelligence…and his beautiful one-handed backhand.

I thought that Wawrinka was a rather heavy favorite coming into the match but when Gasquet took the first set he really got my attention. But then Wawrinka seemed to have righted the ship and powered his way through the next two sets and he looked to be in the driver's seat. Gasquet seemed to have run out of answers and appeared to be withering under the pressure of the Wawrinka bludgeoning from the backcourt. It more or less appeared to be all but over…so I left and went outside and did some interval training. When I came back a half an hour later, lo and behold, Gasquet had won the fourth set. Unbelievable.

The fifth set proceeded on serve until Gasquet broke late in the set and served for the match. Two things happen at this point and it is why it is so tricky to serve out a match, particularly if it has been a very tight match. Number one is the servers nerves. Gasquet's serve is anything but powerful in the first place and it looked as if he got a bit tentative in his deliveries. Number two is the opponent now has his back against the wall and if it is a worthy opponent he is more and likely going to fight that much harder. Wawrinka surely didn't want to leave the tournament at this point and he turned the tables once more and broke Gasquet.

Both players really showed their resolve for the next several service holds. Peter Fleming made a comment about courage this late in the match. He said something to the effect that "courage meant to have the self-confidence and self-belief to attempt the aggressive shots and not only to go for them…but to make them". Both players exhibited this standard of play down the stretch…but if anyone looked to be just a little under the strain psychologically it appeared to be Stan Wawrinka. Richard Gasquet looked to be more under the gun physically. Wawrinka's pounding was taking its effect on Gasquet.

In the end…both players went to the net for the traditional handshake. It was a fight to the very last by two very tenacious, yet to very composed competitors. The match was a pleasure to watch. Some of the backhand exchanges were splendid and the play in the forecourt and the volleying was a level or two above what we have come to expect in the modern game. tennis_chiro would have been proud of a number of Richard Gasquet drive volleys as he resisted the temptation to swing at them. He merely took a bit longer backswing and used the rotation of his shoulders and his momentum going forwards to get the job done.

When it came down to the end I found myself pulling for Stan. I figured he has the better chance at beating Djokovic. It appeared that Stan was going to win and I was watching the Djokovic/Cilic shellacking on another screen. I don't know if the Gasquet nuance can neutralize the Djokovic resiliency. Richard gained a lot from this experience so far…it will be interesting to see just what he can do going forwards. He may have more or less shot his load in this match. Richard Gasquet has shown himself to be "The Sleeper" in the draw and he sure was fun to watch. It's encouraging to see players with one-handed backhands going deep into the draw. Here in the finals of Wimbledon we have two one-handed players and two two-handed players. It ain't over…not by a long shot.

It was the match of the tournament…so far.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 07-08-2015, 10:20 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

• Why did Wawrinka lose?

orthodox |ˈôrTHəˌdäks|

adjective
                        1 (of a person or their views, esp. religious or political ones, or other beliefs or practices) conforming to what is generally or traditionally accepted as right or true; established and approved: the orthodox economics of today | orthodox medical treatment | orthodox Hindus.
                        • (of a person) not independent-minded; conventional and unoriginal: a relatively orthodox artist.
                        2 (of a thing) of the ordinary or usual type; normal: they avoided orthodox classical tennis venues.

The lack of aesthetics indicates a lack of fluidity and fluidity under duress is what produces winning results. Consistently speaking…not the flash in a pan variety. There is a confidence that in looking good it is good. I remember the great, great tennis match that he played against his Swiss doubles partner Federer in London at the end of the year…it was perhaps the single best match of the year…I felt that it was the serve of Wawrinka that sort of let him down just a bit. Not much…but the difference in winning and losing that tennis match was the slimmest of margins. A first serve here or there might have been the difference.

The modern game of tennis struggles with the concept of orthodox. But this is misleading too. There is a lot of hype and jockeying for position behind the scenes going on. Suffice it to say that Roger Federer is "The Living Proof" of the gold standard of orthodoxy and even he let some of his orthodox skills erode during the course of his career because of equipment issues. Now as he attempts to resurrect these very same skills at Wimbledon we shall get a glimpse of the old orthodoxy versus the new. If you know what I mean.
                        Stan Wawrinka was in control of his quarterfinal match against the underdog Richard Gasquet. He has to at least ask himself…"why did I lose?".

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." -Bill Tilden

He lost his serve when it counted most. I rest my case…Stan.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 07-09-2015, 11:56 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

• The 2015 Wimbledon Men Semifinals…Roger Federer in the House

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." -Bill Tilden
                          Roger Federer versus Andy Murray...

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
                          And treat those two impostors just the same-Rudyard Kipling

Soon Roger Federer will be taking the centre court at Wimbledon and he is preparing. Always preparing. Its the life of a tennis player. Perpetual preparation. Even if you take time off like Novak Djokovic did before this Wimbledon fortnight…it is for preparation.

He's in the locker room now. Going over his feelings. Assessing his capabilities. Fondeling his tennis racquets…feeling his hand on their familiar grips. He is checking in on his doubts too. Dismissing them as it is. This is no time to be scared or timid…it is time to attack and be aggressive.

Everything has gone according to plan. He is absolutely perfect form. He has made no mistakes…as few as humanly possible. Most importantly…he is serving well. Unbelievable well…broken only once in the last 120 something service games. He is entirely ready and patiently waiting to take the court. Measuring his steps…as always.

On the other side of the coin is Andy Murray. On the other side of the hall is Andy Murray. His preparation is soon to be complete. It is as good as it possibly could be…given who he is and how he plays the game. He too has been very sharp. But there was a little room for doubt…there always is. Particularly the last few times that he has played Roger Federer.

Roger Federer has been playing with a new piece of equipment ever since before the 2014 Australian Open. He has lost only one set to Andy Murray in the three times that they have played since. In their last meeting he lost only one game. Andy has some doubts…although he is doing his best not to admit them. His team surrounds him and tries to invoke all of the confidence that he will need in himself today. With all of England's expectations upon him.

His is a fragile psyche. At least it has been in the past. He is more vulnerable to his emotions…his expressions give him away. He gets a little too high if he is ahead and he when he get down he will often feign pain. He frequently looks to his box looking for the support he so desperately will need. Federer has a steely look…particularly when he wants something.

But it is in vain…Andy is all alone now. Soon he will no longer be alone…he will be dancing between the lines with his nemesis. Andy is a counterpuncher…at least by reputation. Roger plays the whole court and has all of the shots including the most important of all on a grass court…the perfect service motion. Roger is winning so far and they have not left the locker room. He will play it one point at a time and he knows exactly how he wants to dictate the play. He wants to maintain pressure…on his opponent.

Speaking of slice backhands…the classic play is the slice short to the two-handed backhand to open up the court. There is no point in trying to know the wall down on Murray's two-handed side. But we'll see. I am completely biased to the side of Federer…I admit it. We'll see.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 07-10-2015, 03:08 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge

Comment

• Murray is an oh so slight favorite per the oddsmakes at 5/6, Federer is even money. I like Federer as he zeros in on that 18th Slam here at Wimbledon. Hard to see Gasquet beating Novak here.

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              Roger Federer versus Andy Murray...

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
                              And treat those two impostors just the same-Rudyard Kipling

He's in the locker room now. Going over his feelings. Assessing his capabilities. Fondeling his tennis racquets…feeling his hand on their familiar grips. He is checking in on his doubts too. Dismissing them as it is. This is no time to be scared or timid…it is time to attack and be aggressive.

Everything has gone according to plan. He is absolutely perfect form. He has made no mistakes…as few as humanly possible. Most importantly…he is serving well. Unbelievable well…broken only once in the last 120 something service games. He is entirely ready and patiently waiting to take the court. Measuring his steps…as always.

Andy has some doubts…although he is doing his best not to admit them. His team surrounds him and tries to invoke all of the confidence that he will need in himself today. With all of England's expectations upon him.

Speaking of slice backhands…the classic play is the slice short to the two-handed backhand to open up the court. There is no point in trying to know the wall down on Murray's two-handed side. But we'll see. I am completely biased to the side of Federer…I admit it. We'll see.
                              I think a lot is going to come down to serving. Andy needs a good percentage of first serves in, and he also needs to ramp up his second serve. These 75mph second serves won't cut it against Federer, who deals with that kind of ball better than anyone alive.

Murray has been playing incredibly well for periods during matches, especially at the start. I do feel that so long as the occasion doesn't get the better of him, he will prevail.

We have been here before with Federer....playing brilliantly...breezing through rounds...then a slump...and out he goes. It's been the story of the last five years.

I actually don't want a Djokovic v Murray final. My choice would have Wawrinka v Federer. I would settle for Djokovic v Federer, though, as they always have a good ding dong.

I have of course forgotten about that little French bloke who must have some chance, however small, of sneaking through.

Murray has the weight of the nation on his shoulders this afternoon. You wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's a hell of a burden that somehow has to be forgotten about for three hours or so....
                              Stotty

Comment

• Novak Djokovic versus Richard Gasquet…the other semifinal of the 2015 Wimbledon

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                                I have of course forgotten about that little French bloke who must have some chance, however small, of sneaking through.
                                Yes…the little French fellow. Richard Gasquet. Everyone has written him off…except himself. As long as he feels he has a chance…he has a chance.

He hasn't face Djokovic much in the past couple of years…Djokovic pretty much wiped the court with him at Roland Garros this year in the round of 16. But these are different circumstances and it is on grass.

There is one question and that is can the nuance of Richard Gasquet make any impact on the resiliency of Djokovic. I think he can if he has the right game plan and he can stick to it. It must involve putting pressure on Djokovic and as he has found out there is more than one way of putting pressure on your opponent. You don't have to blow him off the court but you must get him to play into your hand as often as possible. Force him to play your game.

Novak Djokovic has no serving issues and that is a big problem for Monsieur Gasquet. Plus Djokovic will be contesting every single one of Gasquet's service games. The more pressure that he puts on Gasquet's service game the more it improves his own. This is one of Novak's great strengths…applying pressure. Even when it appears he is out he finds away to stay in it…whether it is a point of the entire match. It is extremely difficult to nail him down.

I noticed that the court appears to be wearing out on and behind the baseline and under the right conditions the footing can get tricky. Gasquet is going to need all of the help that he can get. He did a good job of hitting behind Wawrinka. He is going to have to be fatalistic about this match and go for it a bit more. I'm pulling for him. He's put on quite a performance this fortnight and he deserves something out of it. I'm hoping for a competitive and intelligent match…it might be too much to hope for.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8131 users online. 3 members and 8128 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X