No announcement yet.

2015 Wimbledon Championships…ATP 2000…London, Great Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the little french bloke did okay in the first set. That was probably his best chance gone, but he came close. Djokovic hasn't settled down yet but you have to assume he will now. You have to wonder about his tactics in playing so heavily toward the Gasquet backhand but then maybe Djokovic thinks he doesn't need tactics in this match up.

Unlike the rest of the world I am not a fan of Gasquet's flashy, d'Artagnan style backhand. I prefer Roger's more straightforward swing path.
    Last edited by stotty; 07-10-2015, 05:14 AM.
    Stotty

Comment

• Federer-Murray

Exciting tennis. Nuff' said

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

• Not one inch...

Comment

• Federer has only face 4 break points the entire tournament.

Comment

• Immaculate.

Federer was amazing in his semi final against Murray. I have never seen him more in control and with so much time. He stood head and shoulders above Murray as player today. His feel for the ball and the way he steered it around was quite incredible.

He read Murray like a book, returning even his biggest first serves and dissecting his second. Federer himself served like a dream, mixing up power, spin and placement on both his first and second serves. His sliced backhand served as a brilliant neutralising tool and was incredible in defence also. The way he parried and fished with his slice was perfection. He peppered Murray's forehand just at the right times and exposed it as his weaker wing. Murray could make no inroads or dents with his backhand either and simply had no answers in the end. Federer was better in every single department and facet of the game.

But what made Federer looked so incredible today was the time he had...there were moments where he made time stand still. He was composed and casual from start to finish. His casualness must be intimidating when you think about it...imagine you are his opponent for a moment and you will see what I mean.

Another thing that made Federer outstanding today was his serve. It was immaculate. Murray couldn't get a foothold many of the rallies to make a credible impact, and with the fleeting chances he had to be assertive he wasn't assertive enough. It was tough on Andy, and there was very little he could do about it. The ball was out of his court...so to speak...most of the time.

I have seen Federer play very well many times before but this performance was immaculate. The most effortless display I have ever seen. Best of all, he took little out of himself...that was vital, absolutely vital.

Djokovic lies in wait. He will have watched Federer's masterclass and will know exactly what is coming. You can bet he will be tactically better than Murray and he won't retreat into a shell as Murray did (Murray was passive in the rallies, striking the ball nowhere near firm enough for the job in hand). If Federer plays as well in the final he can win...in fact he will win. He just has find that immaculate performance one more time. I can hardly wait for the final. I haven't been this excited about a match since 2008....
            Last edited by stotty; 07-10-2015, 02:20 PM.
            Stotty

Comment

• Federer put on one of the best serving performances today that I've ever seen.

The rest of his game was not too shabby either.
              59 winners, 11 unforced errors.

Murray is the #3 player in the world I might add. No slouch.
              Federer-Djokovic @ Wimbledon. Rematch.
              Djokovic took notice of that Federer exhibition today.
              Here is a beautiful picture of Fed's serve after contact. Very Cool.
              http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/roge...halk-wimbledon

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Last edited by klacr; 07-11-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Really a pity those semis couldn't be prime time events here in the States on network tv. If people saw that kind of play, a lot more kids would want to learn how to play. The display of athleticism and skill from all four semifinalists was fabulous. And it was all about the tennis. Not about the injuries or disputes, etc. Just about the tennis. Very few unforced errors. No doubt Federer was on another level, but all four semifinalists played great. Just think. How many matches in the semifinals would Gasquet or Murray have won in the last 15 years that the grass has been like this. I think more than a couple. Very high standard of play.

I ended up watching a highlight youtube video to see the match and it was phenomenal. I just hope the final is not a let down. It's almost impossible to maintain the levels Federer and Djokovic had today, much less raise it as will be necessary if they both show up with the same games they had today. Federer will be hard pressed to hold that level and Djokovic will have to rise even if Fed falls off just a bit. 59 winners and 11 ue's, over 75% first serves in, 42 trips to the net, 20 aces and 1 df, only one break point against Murray's return and that was in the first game of the match and it was defended. Djokovic's numbers were also amazing, except by comparison with Fed's.

And they both should be 100% physically fit for the final.

If only more people could see this live in prime time...

don

Comment

• And to think that beginning of this year in the Swiss tabloid "Blick", readers were saying Roger is way past his prime and should finally retire! The usual armchair warriors talking about things they do not understand.

Comment

• Longevity

I had to look it up to check this morning. But Rosewall won his last US Open in 1970 at age 35, won the WCT which was a much bigger money event in 1971 and 1972 and reached the Wimbledon and US Open finals again in 1974 at age 39.

You can say the game is tougher physically now, but the wear and tear Rosewall had to go through traveling and barnstorming in the 50's and 60's would destroy any modern player. Private jets, ... I don't think so. More like paneled station wagons carrying the court from gym to gym.

don

Comment

• Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                      I had to look it up to check this morning. But Rosewall won his last US Open in 1970 at age 35, won the WCT which was a much bigger money event in 1971 and 1972 and reached the Wimbledon and US Open finals again in 1974 at age 39.

You can say the game is tougher physically now, but the wear and tear Rosewall had to go through traveling and barnstorming in the 50's and 60's would destroy any modern player. Private jets, ... I don't think so. More like paneled station wagons carrying the court from gym to gym.

don
                      It's not so much this in my view. It's more to do with there being so few players who have won majors past the age of 30. We all know players can still play well past 30, it's just the silverware gets harder to come by. Rosewall was an exceptional player physically, as is Roger.

Roger has only won one of the last 22 slams, so he hasn't been immune to the post 30 problem, despite the fact he has been playing as well as ever at times.

This year could be different. Roger has never played better than he did against Murray. It was the most effortless version of world-class tennis you could ever see. He was immaculate. If he can repeat it in the final against Djokovic, he will win.

The forecast tomorrow is to be a little breezy. That's a shame. When he played Murray it was dead still...like playing indoors. I felt that was an important part of his outstanding performance. He may not have those perfect conditions in the final. On the upside the courts are bone dry and playing quick.
                      Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                        And to think that beginning of this year in the Swiss tabloid "Blick", readers were saying Roger is way past his prime and should finally retire! The usual armchair warriors talking about things they do not understand.
                        The same people were saying Federer was done in 2008 when he lost to Rafa in finals. True greatness has a longer shelf life than most.

The problem is that we'll never truly appreciate how great a player Federer is...until he's gone.
                        That's usually the case with all things...women, money, cars, tennis racquets etc.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        Last edited by klacr; 07-11-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Under Pressure…Before and After "The Match"

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                          Roger Federer versus Andy Murray...

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
                          And treat those two impostors just the same-Rudyard Kipling

Soon Roger Federer will be taking the centre court at Wimbledon and he is preparing. Always preparing. Its the life of a tennis player. Perpetual preparation. Even if you take time off like Novak Djokovic did before this Wimbledon fortnight…it is for preparation.

He's in the locker room now. Going over his feelings. Assessing his capabilities. Fondeling his tennis racquets…feeling his hand on their familiar grips. He is checking in on his doubts too. Dismissing them as it is. This is no time to be scared or timid…it is time to attack and be aggressive.

Everything has gone according to plan. He is absolutely perfect form. He has made no mistakes…as few as humanly possible. Most importantly…he is serving well. Unbelievable well…broken only once in the last 120 something service games. He is entirely ready and patiently waiting to take the court. Measuring his steps…as always.

On the other side of the coin is Andy Murray. On the other side of the hall is Andy Murray. His preparation is soon to be complete. It is as good as it possibly could be…given who he is and how he plays the game. He too has been very sharp. But there was a little room for doubt…there always is. Particularly the last few times that he has played Roger Federer.

Roger Federer has been playing with a new piece of equipment ever since before the 2014 Australian Open. He has lost only one set to Andy Murray in the three times that they have played since. In their last meeting he lost only one game. Andy has some doubts…although he is doing his best not to admit them. His team surrounds him and tries to invoke all of the confidence that he will need in himself today. With all of England's expectations upon him.

His is a fragile psyche. At least it has been in the past. He is more vulnerable to his emotions…his expressions give him away. He gets a little too high if he is ahead and he when he get down he will often feign pain. He frequently looks to his box looking for the support he so desperately will need. Federer has a steely look…particularly when he wants something.

But it is in vain…Andy is all alone now. Soon he will no longer be alone…he will be dancing between the lines with his nemesis. Andy is a counterpuncher…at least by reputation. Roger plays the whole court and has all of the shots including the most important of all on a grass court…the perfect service motion. Roger is winning so far and they have not left the locker room. He will play it one point at a time and he knows exactly how he wants to dictate the play. He wants to maintain pressure…on his opponent.

Speaking of slice backhands…the classic play is the slice short to the two-handed backhand to open up the court. There is no point in trying to know the wall down on Murray's two-handed side. But we'll see. I am completely biased to the side of Federer…I admit it. We'll see.

Under Pressure…Queen 1981

I love this song. I love this video. Under pressure. I have had the CD in my car for months on end…perhaps only listening to this song…over and over. Listen to the words. See the signs and know their meaning.

Andy Murray found himself under pressure Friday. But to his credit he didn't wilt. For once Andy was no shrinking violet. He stood up like a man…and took the full frontal force head on. He still had a few ticks. The howling monkey at times. The longing looks at the box…at Mama. He got too excited when he hit some good shots but he never got too down when he hit a bad one. These were few and far between. I have never seen Andy play better myself. It's no coincidence that he was a man about it…right down to the handshake. He competed from bell to bell…I'm proud of him and I hope that he grows up as a result of the things working in his life now. He recognized the moment and he played his part…which just happened to be second fiddle to "The Great" Roger Federer.

Roger Federer…it's sort of like klacr says. "Exciting tennis. Nuff' said". But I'm not wired like that. I'm telling a story. It's about tennis. It's about the death of tennis. Roger is "The Living Proof". He's almost done now. It's only one more match.

Friday was something of a special day. It's a long story. Aren't they all? My wife's son came over with his new girlfriend. A joyous occasion. They are having a baby! Ok…ok. It's coffee and cake. A celebration. That's great. I wish them well. But first things first…Roger Federer versus Andy Murray. As usual I made the right decision. I watched the match. I'm a realist.

It was all about pressure right from the beginning. Even in the coin toss Roger was putting on the pressure. The look. In warm up he didn't miss a ball. No nerves…only intent. This is what happens when time stands still in an athletes world…in Roger's mind. He was only into himself and what he was about to do…nothing else mattered. He was putting the pressure on his opponent that he was conjuring up in himself and he was going to maintain it right to the very end. Just like Bill Tilden wrote so many years ago. Nothing has changed…except the size of the racquet. The shoes too. It's not my imagination.

There were just the bare signs of nerves in the first game…but those quickly disappeared. Roger got up really quick with a couple of big serves but Andy showed that he was there to play. Afterall he had all of Britain there as his guest. It was his party and it was up to Roger to steal it from him. And he did. Murray had a break point in that first game…as it was it was his only break point. Imagine that. So early on and it was his only glimpse of getting ahead in the match. Roger snuffed his chance and proceeded with a vengeance.

Vengeance it was…remember the finals of the 2012 Olympic? The last time they had played at Wimbledon? Murray won 62, 61, 64. This was the hell to pay for that glitch. I remember writing about that "incident". Positive that Federer had thrown that match…it wasn't him. Go figure…that Roger and this Roger. The very same guy. One a passive patsy and the other a cold blooded assassin. I was in all likelihood "right again"…which of course doesn't matter on iota.

So that was 2012 and this is 2015. What a difference time can make. Three years on. Three trips around the sun by the earth…with us on it. By all rights Roger should be somewhere else. He has millions and millions in the bank and a couple of sets of twins. But here he is…one more time chasing the Wimbledon trophy…for the eighth time. The semifinal is going down in the history books. It was textbook from the first point to the very last. It was pressure being maintained on his opponent. The most extreme pressure. No let up. When he lost a point he was right back at it. Applying pressure. Pressure on top of pressure. Against an opponent that was hitting on all eight. He missed one shot all day…that he should have made. He brought Murray forwards with a rare drop shot and he missed a sitter of a forehand volley. Who knows…maybe he was indecisive between a drive and swinging volley. He missed one shot all day that he probably should have made. Nobody is perfect. He did that "under pressure".

When you see that draw sheet in the future you will remember that tennis match. The day when the tennis world was still. It was only Roger Federer and the sounds of silence. Measuring his steps. Calculating his breath. It happened just like I said it would…like I said it possibly would. Afterall…I am biased…to Roger Federer. Because he is my "Living Proof". He validates what I believe to be true about tennis. The truth…the whole truth and nothing but the truth...the living truth. He is three dots removed from Classic Tennis.

It's all about the racquet. Roger wouldn't have been there on Friday if he hadn't switched a year and a half ago. His serve would not have been so perfect. His backhand wouldn't have been landing so deep in the court with a flatter trajectory. His slice wouldn't have been so effective. The racquet made it all possible. It breathed life into "The Living Proof". Who knows how many more Slams he may have won if he had switched so many years ago. That's ok…that's how life is. It didn't take anything away from him. The man or the legend. It only adds to his mystique. Nobody will remember these things…except me. Maybe you.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 07-11-2015, 10:35 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge
                          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• The Match…was living proof.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                            Federer was amazing in his semi final against Murray. I have never seen him more in control and with so much time. He stood head and shoulders above Murray as player today. His feel for the ball and the way he steered it around was quite incredible.

He read Murray like a book, returning even his biggest first serves and dissecting his second. Federer himself served like a dream, mixing up power, spin and placement on both his first and second serves. His sliced backhand served as a brilliant neutralising tool and was incredible in defence also. The way he parried and fished with his slice was perfection. He peppered Murray's forehand just at the right times and exposed it as his weaker wing. Murray could make no inroads or dents with his backhand either and simply had no answers in the end. Federer was better in every single department and facet of the game.

But what made Federer looked so incredible today was the time he had...there were moments where he made time stand still. He was composed and casual from start to finish. His casualness must be intimidating when you think about it...imagine you are his opponent for a moment and you will see what I mean.

Another thing that made Federer outstanding today was his serve. It was immaculate. Murray couldn't get a foothold many of the rallies to make a credible impact, and with the fleeting chances he had to be assertive he wasn't assertive enough. It was tough on Andy, and there was very little he could do about it. The ball was out of his court...so to speak...most of the time.

I have seen Federer play very well many times before but this performance was immaculate. The most effortless display I have ever seen. Best of all, he took little out of himself...that was vital, absolutely vital.
                            Nice analogy. Tildenesque. Your comments about the serve, time and the slice…right out of "Match Play and the Spin of the Ball". It was grass court tennis…at its very best in the modern era. There is no other player alive that is capable of playing tennis like that. Not one single player other than Roger Federer.
                            don_budge

Comment

• Roger Federer vs.Novak Djokovic…The 2015 Dubai Men's Singles Final

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

On the upside the courts are bone dry and playing quick.
                              Watch these highlights…

From "The 2015 Dubai Duty Free TC…ATP 500…Dubai, U. A. E." thread…

I'm betting on Roger Federer…but I always bet with my heart. Which often makes me a loser. Oh well…such is fate.

But how can you bet against Novak Djokovic at this point in his career. His advantage over Federer maybe be in that he is a couple of years younger. The bigger racquet may bridge this gap a bit.

Is the court playing just a tad quicker…advantage to Federer if this is the case. But only a tad. Two great players…albeit at different stages of their careers.
                              I'm going to go out on a limb here. I think that the court is playing just a bit quicker. It's just a feeling that I have watching Djokovic reacting to Federer's serve and judging from the height of the ball bounce. Interesting.
                              Roger Federer wins the first set 6-3. Using the slice very intelligently and the serve tactics are overwhelming.

The court appears to be quicker. If this is the case then it will really surprise me if Djokovic can get back into this match. I think that a lot of people will be surprised if the courts quicken how much this will effect the game.
                              Sunday I changed everything around to make certain I was in front of my computer for this match. It had all of the makings of something special and it certainly lived up to all of my expectations.

Just to reemphasize…Roger Federer has mastered the art of preparation. The first step was changing his equipment which had the immediate effect of levelling the playing field. Especially with regard to Novak Djokovic because of the classic way that they match up. The second step was getting rid of Paul Annacone and getting someone else to fill that role. Because he also had to reprogram his tactical acumen.

The racquet switch was a no-brainer. At least it was for me. It took Roger a couple of years to see the light and I wonder what Annacone's input with regard to equipment was. The coaching selection was a bit of a surprise but it was in keeping with the Federer paradigm. He needed to revive the tactics that he was brought up with in the first place and get back to the basics of playing all court tennis. Both decisions were fundamental decisions. It is no coincidence that I was recommending both a couple of years before they actually happened. You don't have to be a former Grand Slam winner to coach these guys…but it certainly helps to get your foot in the door.

Federer's dissection of Mister Teenage Wasteland, Borna Coric, on Friday was certainly an indication of things to come. This tournament had a similar smell to it as the one down in Brisbane, Australia did. Roger is riding the wave of some incredibly well thought out and conceived preparation. You know the mantra of a tennis player…it's all about preparation. In the Coric match I was so impressed by Roger's demeanour in the end. It reeked of confidence…I remember Coric dancing about and twirling his racquet a million miles an hour right in Federer's face during the coin toss as Federer just stood there studying his opponent with his beady eyes. Obviously he saw a flaw. He saw cat food.

Saturday was a little different and he was playing it no less cagey. He and Novak know each other quite well. I imagine that when they are faced off during the coin toss that they can smell each others breath and know what each ate for breakfast. They are in each other's face and then some.

Right from the get go Roger was serving bombs. He was hitting it wide in the deuce court and hard up the middle in the advantage side. His flatter cannonball up the middle in the deuce was finding it's range more often than not and he was banging it outside in the ad court. He had a full range of options and he used them judiciously. Methodically. He never lost his composure and maintained that steely sense of confidence we used to see in him when he was younger. He could run the table at any given point in the match.

The serving game of Federer is the key. If he serves well…then he is left with mop up points. He wins his serve quite handily which enables him to go to work on the other guys serve. If he can establish this pattern in a match then he is going to very tough to beat and that is precisely what he did yesterday. He threw in another wrinkle to this method of operation as he served to save something like seven break points. These were not only break points but on three occasions it may have been double break points. The ability to serve tough when you are behind in the count is doubly important.

This comment from Gladys Heldman regarding the Richard Gonzales serve:

"The strongest part of the Gonzales serve is his ability to put his first serve in when the chips are down. At 0-40, 15-30 and 30-40 his batting average on first serves must be .950. It is incredible to have such a high percentage while still hitting hard and flat. The number of aces on these important points is also astounding. No other player has been able to perform this feat so regularly."

When Roger is not looking so sharp and sometimes perhaps not so motivated…it is his serve that gives him away. Yesterday he was not going away. When the chips were down and he was serving to one great returner in Djokovic he put the pedal to the metal and hammered away. He saved the crucial points when he had to. His face was grim and determined. He wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag.

It was a textbook match in the sense of taking care of the serve aspect of the game…which is what it all used to be about. Once he got into his rhythm and was dominating his own service game…even when he was behind in the count…he went to work on Djokovic and played aggressive. Once he had the break in hand he served it out with a methodical efficiency that gave me pleasure just to watch. This is the way that it used to be done.

This court had to be a little quicker than we are accustomed to seeing and if it was Roger knew it as did Djokovic. Many times that slice backhand of Roger's came in sliding and slithering into the Djokovic backhand and it seemed to fool him many times. It seemed to fool him on the forehand as well. Coming in on the approach the timing felt all wrong to Novak off of the bounce and a number of times he flinched.

The rest of the Federer game was as sharp as a tack. I have said it before…if you are serving well it often has the effect of raising the level of the rest of the game. Particularly so in the Federer game. You might say that as he gets longer in the tooth his game is service dependent. He cannot afford to be wasting energy in holding his serve. The slice backhand was used to perfection and the one thing that I would add here is that he doesn't use it enough. Even the great Djokovic cannot consistently get a bead on it to hit like he would like to and this is especially true on a quicker surface. Roger was very sharp with his drive backhand too and at a very key point in the match he nailed a couple up the line. It didn't win the game for him on Novak's serve but the thought was gnawing at him the whole time…he had to respect the backhand up the line.

Along with the serve the other key to the Federer game is his forehand. This is the foundation of his game. Yesterday you didn't see the mishits or the shanks on the forehand side. Does anybody doubt the advantage of using a bigger racquet still? He doubled down on anything hit to his forehand off of Novak's return of serve and he immediately went on the attack. He went to the net "enough" to make his presence felt but he dominated this match with his serve and forehand using all of the rest of his strokes to complement his attack.

This doesn't make Novak Djokovic a one dimensional player. Novak plays the defence superbly and he is always a threat to attack from the back court. The point is that he isn't a threat in the forecourt and this is a major flaw in the design. He lacks true confidence in the forecourt and at one point he let a ball bounce well inside the baseline that he could have easily volleyed. An accomplished volleyer will almost never do such a thing.

Federer knows this and he can always resort to a short slice backhand to the backhand of Djokovic without getting hurt. In fact he has options in neutralizing the Djokovic attack and it is the Djokovic defence that is the real strength of his game. But bombastic serving and laser precision off of the forehand took care of his impenetrable wall. It had many holes when it was all through.

It was a really fine tennis match. Because it had some interesting and entertaining tempo…it had rhythm. Cadence. Roger was dictating all of it. Maintaining pressure on his opponent. Just as Bill Tilden wrote in his classic…"How to Play Better Tennis…a complete guide to technique and tactics". No apologies.

The most amazing thing about this match was Federer's ability to overcome a six year age difference between him and Djokovic. He hasn't forgotten how to adapt. This is a strong suit for the classic tennis player. The ability to use different tactics against different opponents. Much as gzhpcu suggests.
                              Some preliminary thoughts going into the finals of the 2015 Wimbledon Championships. They absolutely apply given Stotty's court assessment.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 07-12-2015, 12:03 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                Under Pressure…Queen 1981

I love this song. I love this video. Under pressure. I have had the CD in my car for months on end…perhaps only listening to this song…over and over. Listen to the words. See the signs and know their meaning.

Andy Murray found himself under pressure Friday. But to his credit he didn't wilt. For once Andy was no shrinking violet. He stood up like a man…and took the full frontal force head on. He still had a few ticks. The howling monkey at times. The longing looks at the box…at Mama. He got too excited when he hit some good shots but he never got too down when he hit a bad one. These were few and far between. I have never seen Andy play better myself. It's no coincidence that he was a man about it…right down to the handshake. He competed from bell to bell…I'm proud of him and I hope that he grows up as a result of the things working in his life now. He recognized the moment and he played his part…which just happened to be second fiddle to "The Great" Roger Federer.

Roger Federer…it's sort of like klacr says. "Exciting tennis. Nuff' said". But I'm not wired like that. I'm telling a story. It's about tennis. It's about the death of tennis. Roger is "The Living Proof". He's almost done now. It's only one more match.

Friday was something of a special day. It's a long story. Aren't they all? My wife's son came over with his new girlfriend. A joyous occasion. They are having a baby! Ok…ok. It's coffee and cake. A celebration. That's great. I wish them well. But first things first…Roger Federer versus Andy Murray. As usual I made the right decision. I watched the match. I'm a realist.

It was all about pressure right from the beginning. Even in the coin toss Roger was putting on the pressure. The look. In warm up he didn't miss a ball. No nerves…only intent. This is what happens when time stands still in an athletes world…in Roger's mind. He was only into himself and what he was about to do…nothing else mattered. He was putting the pressure on his opponent that he was conjuring up in himself and he was going to maintain it right to the very end. Just like Bill Tilden wrote so many years ago. Nothing has changed…except the size of the racquet. The shoes too. It's not my imagination.

There were just the bare signs of nerves in the first game…but those quickly disappeared. Roger got up really quick with a couple of big serves but Andy showed that he was there to play. Afterall he had all of Britain there as his guest. It was his party and it was up to Roger to steal it from him. And he did. Murray had a break point in that first game…as it was it was his only break point. Imagine that. So early on and it was his only glimpse of getting ahead in the match. Roger snuffed his chance and proceeded with a vengeance.

Vengeance it was…remember the finals of the 2012 Olympic? The last time they had played at Wimbledon? Murray won 62, 61, 64. This was the hell to pay for that glitch. I remember writing about that "incident". Positive that Federer had thrown that match…it wasn't him. Go figure…that Roger and this Roger. The very same guy. One a passive patsy and the other a cold blooded assassin. I was in all likelihood "right again"…which of course doesn't matter on iota.

So that was 2012 and this is 2015. What a difference time can make. Three years on. Three trips around the sun by the earth…with us on it. By all rights Roger should be somewhere else. He has millions and millions in the bank and a couple of sets of twins. But here he is…one more time chasing the Wimbledon trophy…for the eighth time. The semifinal is going down in the history books. It was textbook from the first point to the very last. It was pressure being maintained on his opponent. The most extreme pressure. No let up. When he lost a point he was right back at it. Applying pressure. Pressure on top of pressure. Against an opponent that was hitting on all eight. He missed one shot all day…that he should have made. He brought Murray forwards with a rare drop shot and he missed a sitter of a forehand volley. Who knows…maybe he was indecisive between a drive and swinging volley. He missed one shot all day that he probably should have made. Nobody is perfect. He did that "under pressure".

When you see that draw sheet in the future you will remember that tennis match. The day when the tennis world was still. It was only Roger Federer and the sounds of silence. Measuring his steps. Calculating his breath. It happened just like I said it would…like I said it possibly would. Afterall…I am biased…to Roger Federer. Because he is my "Living Proof". He validates what I believe to be true about tennis. The truth…the whole truth and nothing but the truth...the living truth. He is three dots removed from Classic Tennis.

It's all about the racquet. Roger wouldn't have been there on Friday if he hadn't switched a year and a half ago. His serve would not have been so perfect. His backhand wouldn't have been landing so deep in the court with a flatter trajectory. His slice wouldn't have been so effective. The racquet made it all possible. It breathed life into "The Living Proof". Who knows how many more Slams he may have won if he had switched so many years ago. That's ok…that's how life is. It didn't take anything away from him. The man or the legend. It only adds to his mystique. Nobody will remember these things…except me. Maybe you.
                                Great song choice.

Queen, David Bowie. Special stuff.

Here's one of my favorite performances not too far away from SW19 in London's Wembley Stadium
                                https://youtu.be/4-rkJmRiFug?list=RD4-rkJmRiFug

Freddy Mercury would have been a fan of Roger Federer's. Two geniuses just a bit different than everyone else in the same arena of their respective arts. Two geniuses who people will only truly realize their special qualities once gone. Freddy Mercury already is....Roger soon to be. But their is inspiration in their performances. They conjure up a magic about them that cannot be expressed in a quote or a simple soundbite. It is their total body of work and their freedom of style from the mundane and banal that exists around them.
                                They certainly 'break free' from the norm that exists today, but the mold that formed them was always classic.
                                https://youtu.be/o-Zo4AVL7AE

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7775 users online. 3 members and 7772 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X