A New Teaching System: Forehand: Technical Characteristics: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    Connors' racket stays on edge until the contact and then racket face starts to open a little as he follows through. This the exact opposite of the modern forehand where the racket face closes as the player follows through. And, yes, Connors forehand was very flat, certainly the times when I saw it.
    Connors' forehand was something special. There is a complexity in simplicity though. Anyone know the RPMs of a Connors forehand?

I like watching him hit a ball, from bottom to top. Like all great strokes, it starts from the ground up. The feet are intense. Love it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Posture

John,
      Great for you to re-address this topic. Im glad you are putting emphasis on the situational aspects of the various finishes. To many other videos show only a single type of forehand and this is misleading and oversimplified. Your videos / analysis are a gold standard!

Can you please comment on posture / balance. I saw it mentioned in an earlier thread. As you breakdown the "checkpoints," posture and a stable torso have to be foundational in ALL strokes. It could probably be argued that maintaining stable posture through the shot is what allows for the efficient kinetic chain to proceed. Do you think its worth including in your video?

You mention Daniel McCain's excellent article on this topic (checkout his youtube site for more). I found it very insightfult

Thanks again on your insight!

Comment

Wook,

Yes! It is more than worth mentioning and I think is something that is not stressed or even addressed directly in the overview. When I did the articles with Dan I decided that needed to be addressed. It's implicit in all the checkpoints I've developed but needs to be more explicit!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3147 users online. 4 members and 3143 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X