2015 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals…ATP 1500...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals…ATP 1500...London, England

Last year's World Tour Final was off the charts…it was a Federer affair. His David Cup partner and lifelong friend Stan Wawrinka figured prominently in the goings on. Novak Djokovic was incidentally the champion.

Watch the point at 3 games all in the second set at 40-40…the biggest point of the match according to the book.

I wrote this about the infamous semifinal…

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    There certainly were some moments when it was in doubt last night. Stan Wawrinka had his doubts…he thought he had it in the bag. Roger Federer had his doubts as he felt it slipping through his fingers. What drama. When one says that tennis is a unique game and somebody doesn't understand…show him a replay of this little dandy. What a game.

The final score was 46, 75, 76…but that is only the beginning. Or rather that is only the ending. The beginning has been in the works for months…parts of it for years. Here are two Swiss Davis Cup partners who in a short while will be tied by their cosmic umbilical cords…last night they were fighting each other tooth and nail. Giving no quarter and asking for none in return.

Anyone with half a brain would have picked Federer in straight sets…but that is the funny business about this game. These guys are human. Stan for some reason felt that the occasion was his and he played like it. Roger on the other hand for all intents and purposes should have felt that the night belonged to him but he was coming up short…for whatever reason. All that I have been talking about is preparation…on and on and on. Then…for some crazy reason we are reminded that humans and rodents have the same problem in life sometimes. The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Wawrinka took the first set as Federer showed some nerves and some tentative play. Wawrinka smelled blood and he went for the kill…first set to Stan on account of his assertiveness. When I used to be a manager in a Quality Control department at the Ford Motor Company I used to tell my employees that the only "ass" that was going to get anyone anywhere was assertiveness. No ass-kissing…thank you.

Federer knew he was in a dog fight and he switched gears from high wire acrobat to street fighter and he just eked out the second set. Never mind the particulars because none of it matters until you come to one of the first games or first points in the third and decider. The freaking dumbum in the umpire chair overruled on a Wawrinka ball that he had hit wide…the idiot called it in. But Roger didn't seem to be aware of the overrule and he lost the count in the score.

When he woke up…he was down a break just like that in the most important set of the whole entire year. Suddenly he was one of us…he was screwed. Just like you and I every single day of the year…the cards are stacked against us and the men in control take great delight in giving us a collective screwing. After some deep soul searching Roger knew he was fucked and he was just going to have to make the best of it and no matter what he wasn't going to cave in to the deep dark psychological forces that were compelling him to do all kinds of counterproductive things to get even…with the idiot in the chair.

Needless to say that did nothing to help his confidence but he showed us and most importantly himself…he has what it takes. It takes balls to be a tough tennis player and he showed everyone at the O2, including his partner across the net, including his wife for the umpteenth time, his new coach…he showed everyone that he has intestinal fortitude and he can deal with misfortune. He can deal with bad luck. He can deal with the bump in the road. He fought against being his own worst enemy. He got on with it. He fought with all of his heart when the demons were working on him. When Stan was applying the screws on the other end. He was what Don Budge was on the day in London when he fought and duelled the Baron Gottfried Von Cramm until the last point when he passed the German down the line and ended up face down on the grass at Wimbledon in a Davis Cup match…he was the ultimate of tennis players.

The Roger Federer/Stan Wawrinka semifinal was absolutely one of the best matches of the year. The psychodrama that was going on in the background only served to elevate this match to its greatness. Roger ended up winning but he couldn't answer the bell for the finals against Novak Djokovic handing the trophy to Novak in a walkover. Interestingly enough it did nothing to diminish the greatness of the tournament. Federer absolutely dominated the tournament with his great play. His beating of Andy Murray was phenomenal.

This year there is a similar cast of characters. The draw will make all of the difference. Anything less than Federer and Djokovic in opposite halves will be a disservice to the big picture. Novak Djokovic comes in the heavy favorite.
    Last edited by don_budge; 11-08-2015, 03:45 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Last year was special, until Fed withdrew from singles final.
    Let's see what the groupings are. Potentially, wit the way the rankings are, Djokovic, Federer, Nadal could all be in the same group during RR competition. That would be insane.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Last year was special, until Fed withdrew from singles final.
      Let's see what the groupings are. Potentially, wit the way the rankings are, Djokovic, Federer, Nadal could all be in the same group during RR competition. That would be insane.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      How does it work? How are the boxes configured, by ranking? Or can the organiser exercise common sense? Surely Federer cannot be drawn in the same box as Djokovic? He's the only player who can give Djokovic a decent game right now!
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        How does it work? How are the boxes configured, by ranking? Or can the organiser exercise common sense? Surely Federer cannot be drawn in the same box as Djokovic? He's the only player who can give Djokovic a decent game right now!
        Top 2 players are only ones guaranteed separate groups, because obviously, they are 1 and 2 (Djokovic & Murray)

After that, it could go 1,8,3,5 and 2,7,4,6. Or any other combination with #1 and #2 on opposite groups. It is possible but has to be a bit of luck, or bad luck for that matter

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Stan Smith vs. Ilie Nastase...

Who was the genius that decided to name the two groups the "Stan Smith" and the "Ilie Nastase" group?

Just for old times sake…1972 Wimbledon men's final. Not that anybody cares or enjoys watching this sort of tennis. Check out the action and the commentary.

I had a difficult time getting the above to work…

Two beautifully rhythmic service motions I might add.
          Last edited by don_budge; 11-14-2015, 03:03 AM.
          don_budge

Comment

Wimbledon 1972, a classic match...

Just for old times sake…1972 Wimbledon men's final. Not that anybody cares or enjoys watching this sort of tennis. Check out the action and the commentary.

Two beautifully rhythmic service motions I might add.
            I care a lot. I have watched this match many times. I always felt it was a shame Nastase couldn't settle his nerves that day. He was comfortably the best player in the world at that time. Stan shouldn't have had a chance...but that's tennis for you. It's a lot about holding your nerve in the big moments.
            Stotty

Comment

The Top 8 players in the world are set to clash in London.

The groups have been set

Group A (Stan Smith Group)
              Djokovic
              Federer
              Berdych
              Nishikori

Group B (Ilie Nastase Group)
              Murray
              Wawrinka
              Nadal
              Ferrer

a few notes...
              -Group A total World Tour Final titles 10
              -Group B total World Tour Final titles 0

-Group A Head to Head vs. Others in Group
              Djokovic: 45-25
              Federer: 38-29
              Berdych: 9-37
              Nishikori: 7-8

-Group B Head to Head vs. Others in Group
              Murray: 25-27
              Wawrinka: 15-28
              Nadal: 51-15
              Ferrer: 19-40

-Berdych only player in Djokovic group in both 2014 and 2015.
              -Murray does not have any of the same players in his group from last year.

London Calling

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

I began a London World Tour Finals Thread a few days ago thinking that don_budge had slipped up and/or forgotten. Turns out he started one days before me. My apologies
                I should have known...don_budge is OTB(On The Ball).

Let's have this one be the #1 thread. I will let the one I started die off and sink into the forum abyss for eternity.
                Thanks.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  The Top 8 players in the world are set to clash in London.

The groups have been set

Group A (Stan Smith Group)
                  Djokovic
                  Federer
                  Berdych
                  Nishikori

Group B (Ilie Nastase Group)
                  Murray
                  Wawrinka
                  Nadal
                  Ferrer

a few notes...
                  -Group A total World Tour Final titles 10
                  -Group B total World Tour Final titles 0

-Group A Head to Head vs. Others in Group
                  Djokovic: 45-25
                  Federer: 38-29
                  Berdych: 9-37
                  Nishikori: 7-8

-Group B Head to Head vs. Others in Group
                  Murray: 25-27
                  Wawrinka: 15-28
                  Nadal: 51-15
                  Ferrer: 19-40

-Berdych only player in Djokovic group in both 2014 and 2015.
                  -Murray does not have any of the same players in his group from last year.

London Calling

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Great breakdown klacr. Here is the draw. It can get interesting….with the format and all. The semi's seem to have a lot of potential.

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.
                  don_budge

Comment

A mere whimsical thought…about the modern world

Last year I was sitting in this cafe in Paris at this time and this beautiful woman and her man were eating next to the Ugly American and I. This Dutch dude was at our table too. He had ridden down to Paris from Amsterdam on the same train as us and was staying at the same hotel as we were. It was right down the street from the Arc d'Triumph. Somehow he ended up in the room that we originally were going to stay in. Instead we got a balcony view of the Arc…down the Champs Elysses. Still…somehow our journeys were connected.

Experience unforgettable tours and excursions to iconic destinations worldwide with Gray Line. See our tours and book your adventure today.

The little cafe was Italian cuisine. The beautiful woman was of Italian descent. She was friends with the owners of the cafe. Her man was a passionate tennis person…my buddy and I had been to Roland Garros during the day. He didn't seem to mind in the least that his beautiful companion was totally engaging with me. He seemed to be sympathetic. I told him about the old guy twirling the wooden tennis racquet on the Roland Garros grounds. I introduced myself as don_budge, an American transplanted in Sweden. I'd seen her walking down the street and she said she had seen me too, we started discussing George Orwell, tennis and over-sized racquets, immigration in Europe, political correctness, love and life…you know, typical conversation for a Paris cafe. The Parisian hour. In the middle of our conversation three machine gun armed soldiers walked right by us. I was like…what the fuck?

"Well", they said…"there have been problems in Paris." Several months later…well you know the rest.

Given the events of Friday the 13th in Paris…do you think that there are any extra security precautions in London? These are strange days…aren't they?

When all traditional values are chucked out the window…things get a bit squirrelly. Just look at what has happened to tennis. Oh I know…multiculturalism (oversized graphite racquets) is the rage these days. I guess that it doesn't matter that for a million years or two that the prevailing rule in the human world was birds of a feather flock together (wooden racquets). Even then there was always a problem waiting to happen.

The chemistries of the big cities in Europe are at their tipping points. Much like the big cities in America 45 years ago or so. All it takes is the catalyst…or the instigator.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 11-14-2015, 09:50 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

Djokovic defeats Nishikori 6-1, 6-1 in first match. Old school beatdown behind the woodshed. Domination. Questions regarding Nishikori fitness level coming into London, but that's not Djokovic's fault.

Berdych vs. Federer coming up. I love Roger and always root for him, unless it's this situation. I have to be loyal to my horse. Go Berdych.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Given the events of Friday the 13th in Paris…do you think that there are any extra security precautions in London? These are strange days…aren't they?
                        The police are on high alert, as you would expect. Security is tight in England. Plus we have the huge benefit of being an island.

How dull was Djokovic v Nishikori? I switched over at 6-1 1-0...my son wanted to watch Harry Potter. I am getting deeply concerned that pretty soon Djokovic won't have an opponent.

Maybe the top eight should break away and start their own tour? History could repeat itself. It would be like Kramer, Segura, Schroeder and co. all over again....
                        Stotty

Comment

4-4, love 15

Berdych serving…swing volley hit into the net. 0-30. He then blows two sitter forehands for the break. 5-4, Federer serving for the set.
                          don_budge

Comment

Berdych serving…swing volley hit into the net. 0-30. He then blows two sitter forehands for the break. 5-4, Federer serving for the set.
                            Dreadful first set from both players. Never seen Federer with so little feel in those opening seven games. Came good in the end to clinch round one. Berdych has been woeful so far....
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              Dreadful first set from both players. Never seen Federer with so little feel in those opening seven games. Came good in the end to clinch round one. Berdych has been woeful so far....
                              WOEFUL!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9935 users online. 3 members and 9932 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X