• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under the Circumstances...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    WOEFUL!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Under the circumstances any performance at all by any of these guys was truly remarkable. I cannot even begin to fantom what kind of pressure they were under after the events of Friday the 13th.

Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer showed why they are the best players in the world. In spite of everything that was surrounding them they came up with the goods.

You have no idea what Europe is feeling like today. London must be pins and needles. As far as Nishikori and Berdych go…they just sort of succumbed to nerves and the occasion. Berdych actually came out and gave a game performance…considering the circumstances. I have to say the I really admire him because I know how tough it was to face Roger last night.

Roger was a bit shaky in the beginning. I saw the interview with Leif Shiras before the match and he seemed really tight. The conditions last night were unlike anything any of these guys had ever experienced. They were in uncharted waters. As we all are.

God bless 'em.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Great win for Federer. Typical that I managed to miss it! Why am I always working when Federer beats Djokovic? When I do manage to watch their matches Djokovic always wins...weird. Next time they play in a grand slam final I better make sure I am out working.
      Stotty

Comment

Been on court all day. Missed both Berdych and Federer matches

They are replaying the Fed-Novak one right now. Looking forward to watching it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Good to see Federer win. Exercised a few demons perhaps. But it's round robin play. Djokovic is not out or dead yet. Feerer even looked a bit suprised that he won the match. Djokovic was charitable in this match. Many unforced errors and serious lapses of concentration. We all have bad days and to be honest, it was nice to see Djokovic look human.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic…and the racquet

Our servers are hosted and maintained by Liquid Web. Hosting costs are billed anually at in the first week of the year, we like to keep it simple, secure and reliable. [arrow_list] $15 /mo - Standard Standard server backups and server maintenance by Liquid Web server admin Recommended for static html websites $25 /mo - Advanced Standard server backups and server maintenance...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            Great win for Federer. Typical that I managed to miss it! Why am I always working when Federer beats Djokovic? When I do manage to watch their matches Djokovic always wins...weird. Next time they play in a grand slam final I better make sure I am out working.
            Been on court all day. Missed both Berdych and Federer matches

They are replaying the Fed-Novak one right now. Looking forward to watching it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            If Roger Federer is playing Novak Djokovic there is only one thing that is going to keep me from watching him and that is wild horses. Last night I wasn't disappointed.

I managed to finish my last class at 7.30, do some grocery shopping, drive home and micro wave my dinner (salmon and salad with a little rice) and got my ass in position up in my little office in front of the computer. They were in the first game tied at 40 all and Federer managed to serve out the game in the next two points. Apparently I brought him some good luck and he was struggling to win the first game. If he hadn't it may have been a different story.

Were the conditions just a bit quicker than normal? They certainly seemed to be the way that Roger dictated play…by the way he was maintaining pressure on Djokovic. After the initial game Roger's presence on his service game was absolutely majestic and he kept just enough pressure on Novak in the first set to prevent him from getting his teeth into the match. The difference in the end…when he finally broke Djokovic to win the set was a combination of some slice backhands, pummelled forehands and a skittish little half volley to seal the deal on set point. One break for winner take all.

The second set was almost a formality. Roger broke Novak in his first service game to go up 2-0 but lost his own serve in the next game. No matter…he went right back to work and put the pedal to the floor and really kept the pressure on Djokovic.

Once again Novak Djokovic looked to be very shaky playing anywhere inside the baseline…closer to the service line. His approach game is very tentative and indecisive and his volley technique and tactics are rudimentary. He looks like a very good club player at the net and approach game. Very mediocre. So all in all…you must deduce that this is not by any means the G.O.A.T. …this is a player that specializes in one aspect of play plus he has a very good serve to back up his backcourt game.

Roger on the other hand showed why he is the only Living Proof still playing the game and the last connection to any sort of Classic Game paradigm. He plays the whole court with complementary tactics. He had Djokovic off balance and totally out of sorts. Granted…Novak did not have his best game but it his responsibility to bring something other than his A game when he is playing a tennis player of the likes of Roger Federer. Once again it appeared that the conditions may have had some influence on the results and Roger has the game to capitalize on these conditions and they only serve to take a bit of the teeth out of Djokovic's backcourt and defence game.

Afterwards in the interview room for once the commentatoe got down to some legitimate business and was quizzing Federer on the larger racquet that he moved to two years ago. Two years after the fact they are asking the question…I was asking more than two years before. Roger confirmed every single point that I have discussed about the larger racquets in his answers and without saying it he more than corroborated everything that I have said about the modern game compared to the classic. If Roger had been playing in a field of players that existed some thirty years ago he would have been great…no doubt about it. But his immortal status may not have been so illustrious. His style would most certainly not have the same type of unbelievable flair…as even now he has the tendency to some rather ridiculous mishits. If you missed that interview…you missed the most revealing interview that has taken place in tennis in the past thirty years with regards to equipment.

Regards the match…it is true it was only a round robin match but that is to beg the question. These two were tied in their head to head and any time they go out on the court it is going to be the best man who will win. They may meet again in this tournament and the outcome may be different. But then again we might point out the difference in their ages. But this night Roger was the best man fair and square and judging by the way the handshake looked…there is no love lost. Just the way it should be. None of this lovey-dovey bullshit. No hugs. Just a nice and decent handshake…a pat on the chest and a muttering under the breath…"see you on Sunday chump".

Great stuff under great pressure. The pressure in Europe is mounting. This is now post "Friday the 13th" Europe and it will never be the same. I'm glad that I got to Paris when it was still Paris. That conversation that I had in that cafe will forever be etched in my mind. I wonder if that couple was thinking of good old don_budge after things unfolded. They were such wonderful people. She so beautiful and he was ever so charming and intellectual. A true tennis aficionado who actually knew who Don Budge was. He wasn't so much an avid player. We just shared a bit of each other's journey as we went off into the night.
            Last edited by don_budge; 11-18-2015, 02:21 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

Good to see Federer win. Exercised a few demons perhaps.
              Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Well, demons like getting "exercised" but I think you meant "excorcised"...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                That predictive text stuff can be a darn nuisance...but comical at times too.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  That predictive text stuff can be a darn nuisance...but comical at times too.
                  HAHA!

Yes, good catch. that's weird. I actually made that post from my phone and had every intention of using proper verb, I guess the autocorrect kicked in assuming I was talking about fitness and changed exorcised into exercised. My fault. You knew what I meant. Thanks

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Nadal looking better...

Nadal is looking better. For the first time in a year or so he hit a dozen or so really good forehands. The last forehand he hit to win the match was the best he has hit in ages...a really fast-paced, hooking forehanding. I hope he gets back to where he was because it will make things more interesting among the elite.

Murray was poor and didn't help himself. How much of that was down to Nadal it's tough to say...certainly a little at least.

Still it's round robin so everything still to play for. Even with two wins Nadal is not certain to qualify.
                    Stotty

Comment

Nadal i...

Still it's round robin so everything still to play for. Even with two wins Nadal is not certain to qualify.
                      At 4 sets to 0, I don't think Nadal or Federer could be knocked off #1 in their groups. Either Wawrinka or Murray could tie Nadal at 4-2 (if he lost to Ferrer straight sets), but then head to head would seed Nadal ahead of either.

For Federer, you could have three guys with 2-1 match records (if Fed lost straights to Nishikori). But sets won and lost would put Federer ahead of Nishikori. Djokovic could tie Federer at 4-2 and I think head to head would put Federer ahead.

But I don't know the order of tie-breakers in a three way tie at 2-1. Do they just knock one of the three out on the basis of sets won or do they go right to games won %?

don

Comment

One week later...

It looks like Roger Federer will have Friday night off. This is probably the best of all possible scenarios. A day of rest will be so important going into the weekend.

Meanwhile…Europe is teetering on the brink of insanity. These guys are amazing.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
                        Are losing theirs…"
                        don_budge

Comment

Federer made himself work a little extra today against Nishikori. Had a set and 4-1 lead before Nishikori came storming back, or should I say, Federer let him back in the match.

Berdych vs. Djokovic coming up. Berdych does not want to finish his season 0-3 at this end of the year finale. Djokovic does not want to lose two matches in a row. Someone's wish will not be granted. Berdych advances to semis if he wins in straights. Believe in Berdych!!!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Another Swinging Volley Bites the Dust...

Federer made himself work a little extra today against Nishikori. Had a set and 4-1 lead before Nishikori came storming back, or should I say, Federer let him back in the match.

Berdych vs. Djokovic coming up. Berdych does not want to finish his season 0-3 at this end of the year finale. Djokovic does not want to lose two matches in a row. Someone's wish will not be granted. Berdych advances to semis if he wins in straights. Believe in Berdych!!!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            At 4.40 in this highlight video…the turning point.

At 3-4, advantage Djokovic, Berdych hit a good serve to wide to Djokovic's backhand and the return came back high, slow and in the middle of the court. Berdych came swooping in…and muffed a swinging volley harmlessly into the net. Novak then routinely served out the first set.

If Berdych comes in and plays that shot the way it is supposed to be played…the first volley sets up the kill shot he is back to deuce. Interestingly he did make a number of nice forehand volley's. There's one at about 6.30 in the highlight video. If he had gotten back to deuce and won his serve he is still in the first set. It's little things that decide matches. This was a key point.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 11-20-2015, 02:36 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

Exciting matches!

Sorry. These guys are putting me to sleep. Try watching the young Americans playing for a wildcard into the Australian Open. If any of the three Americans left in the draw in Champaigne win the tournament, they would at least tie Noah Rubin in the wildcard race which concludes with this even.

I'm partial to young Taylor Fritz who demolished the first seed today. Big weapons, great technique, nice attitude on the court. And he even is trying to occasionally go to the net.

Check it out.

don

London may be more exciting in the semis and finals.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                At 4.40 in this highlight video…the turning point.

At 3-4, advantage Djokovic, Berdych hit a good serve to wide to Djokovic's backhand and the return came back high, slow and in the middle of the court. Berdych came swooping in…and muffed a swinging volley harmlessly into the net. Novak then routinely served out the first set.

If Berdych comes in and plays that shot the way it is supposed to be played…the first volley sets up the kill shot he is back to deuce. Interestingly he did make a number of nice forehand volley's. There's one at about 6.30 in the highlight video. If he had gotten back to deuce and won his serve he is still in the first set. It's little things that decide matches. This was a key point.
                                Berdych did hit some great volleys during the match. Sadly, it's the one he missed that made the difference. Yes don_budge, it's always the little things. Bummer. Doesn't help that Berdych's first serve was once again below 60%. Against the top guys, you can't give them that many looks on a 2nd serve. Tough week in London for my boy. We'll use this as motivation in the offseason.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7691 users online. 10 members and 7681 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X