2016 Australian Open Tennis Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Australian Open Tennis Championships

Who else is pumped? I am extra excited because I will be there for the first week. This will be my first Slam and the first time going to ATP/WTA event. Anyone have any advice or tips they would like to share?

I'm pumped. Thanks for starting this thread.
    Lucky you. The Aussie Open. Most fan friendly of the grand slams.

As for advice or tips...
    -I'd suggest getting there to watch the early rounds/ first two or three days. You are guaranteed to see everyone, either in a match or practice.
    -Outside courts you can get some great seats and see some great players.
    -Scope out the practice courts for top players that you wouldn't be able to get close to in a match on one of the arena courts.
    -Immerse yourself in the atmosphere. Take a few notes on the technique, shots of players that interest you. Compare your notes and initial thoughts of those players with video from stroke archive of this site to see in slo-mo what you failed to see in real-time.
    -Take time to introduce yourself to a complete stranger/fellow tennis enthusiast. You never know who they may be, their tennis story or what they may provide for you in your tennis life. You meet some interesting people, take advantage of that.
    -Network with the vendors at all the shops/stores on the grounds. May get some cool swag or freebies, you never know.
    -Long shot: If there is an Adidas shoe/apparel shop on the grounds, see if a blond Australian girl named Valeska is working there as a rep. If so, Tell her Kyle the tennis coach with the size 16's she met in New Orleans says "Hello"

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

All advice noted! Thanks Kyle. Top of my list is seeing Hingis, Tsonga, Ferrer, and of course Federer.

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
        Who else is pumped? I am extra excited because I will be there for the first week. This will be my first Slam and the first time going to ATP/WTA event. Anyone have any advice or tips they would like to share?
        Take high factor sunscreen. My friend damn near burnt his nose off one year. He said he got so hot and thought he might die at one point.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          Take high factor sunscreen. My friend damn near burnt his nose off one year. He said he got so hot and thought he might die at one point.
          Sounds wonderful! It has been so chilly here in Denver. The other thing I heard was to bring insect repellent.

Comment

All advice noted! Thanks Kyle. Top of my list is seeing Hingis, Tsonga, Ferrer, and of course Federer.
            If watching a Hingis practice session, be prepared to watch 30 minutes of mini-tennis. I got my fair share when I was a coach at Saddlebrook Resort. Needless to say, I became pretty damn good at mini-tennis.

Have a great time. Get your tennis fill, and then some.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

The Speed of the Courts...

Try to get a feel for the speed of the courts and analyze if it has any effect on the play.

Thanks for stealing my thunder…but I suppose it is understandable given your excitement. Enjoy your experience.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Federer's temperature?

Most importantly for the 2016 Australian Open…ATP 2000…Sydney Australia…is the physical condition of Roger Federer.

I have my doubts about his being able to recover from his sickness in time to be a factor in this three out of five event. If he is not healthy it turns into an also-ran event real quickly. Sure…we have the illusion of the "Grand Slam" event but in reality there are only two or three players with a realistic chance of winning the damn thing.

Nothing would please me more than to see the courts slicked up and watch all of these backcourt, strong gripped forehand, two handed backhand with mediocre service motion go kaflooey.
                don_budge

Comment

Patience

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Try to get a feel for the speed of the courts and analyze if it has any effect on the play.

Thanks for stealing my thunder…but I suppose it is understandable given your excitement. Enjoy your experience.
                  I know I was waiting for you to start this one. But you were taking to long. After all I purchased the tickets back in May of 2015. Feel free to take over from this point.

Comment

You're the Man!

I know I was waiting for you to start this one. But you were taking to long. After all I purchased the tickets back in May of 2015. Feel free to take over from this point.
                    lobndropshot…you are the man! I was only joking. Nobody is happier for you than me. I can understand your excitement…you must be awfully geeked. Take notes…keep a little journal about the things you did each day. When you get home you should write a couple of paragraphs about each note. It's a great chance for you to develop your writing skills. Share it with us here on the forum. You own this thread now…we look forward to some good stories. Girls in the Adidas booth and the like. We want to hear about the women. Maybe some tennis too. But first things first!

A trip down under to see the Australian Open is worth its weight in gold. Capitalize on this experience. Investigate a bit into the Aussie tennis tradition back in the day. Do some homework before you go. When do you leave?
                    don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                      lobndropshot…you are the man! I was only joking. Nobody is happier for you than me. I can understand your excitement…you must be awfully geeked. Take notes…keep a little journal about the things you did each day. When you get home you should write a couple of paragraphs about each note. It's a great chance for you to develop your writing skills. Share it with us here on the forum. You own this thread now…we look forward to some good stories. Girls in the Adidas booth and the like. We want to hear about the women. Maybe some tennis too. But first things first!

A trip down under to see the Australian Open is worth its weight in gold. Capitalize on this experience. Investigate a bit into the Aussie tennis tradition back in the day. Do some homework before you go. When do you leave?
                      don_budge for some time now has been master of ceremonies for upcoming tournaments. He does it so well, doesn't he?

But we all understand your excitement. How wonderful it would be if you could login to Tennisplayer while you are at the tournament. You could give us a feel for the place and what's going on....cool.
                      Stotty

Comment

lobndropshot,

Many of us on this forum will live vicariously through you. Enjoy it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

ill be at the semi's and finals of the mens

looking forward to it!

Comment

Bot to Bowt

No, let lobanddropshot do the write-ups. He uses capital letters and punctuation.

Comment

2016 Australian Open…ATP 2000…Sydney, Australia

Welcome to Australian Open official tournament site. Book tickets, find the latest news, score updates, player interviews and shop for AO merchandise!

Hmmm…here's the draw. The portents of things to come. Is is safe to project Novak Djokovic into the semifinals based on his invincibility? What about Roger Federer…is he going to recover from his flu at the ripe old age of 34/35 and be able to compete three out of five sets in 40 degree weather down under? I don't give Rafael Nadal a snowball's chance in Australia to make the semi's in his portion of the draw. But, on the other hand, I can see Andy Murray getting through to his semifinal.

There is only one question that looms large for me…what about the speed of the courts? When are the powers that be going to loosen the grip they have on the game and open it up to some "diversity" of play? You see…the powers that be only pull out the "D" card when it suits their agenda. They would never consider actually having it in their own backyard.

The game is mired in a state of going nowhere. No EVOLUTION is taking place nor has any taken place these last 32 years or so. Pure ENGINEERING. Plain as simple. The game has only one single bonafide all-court tennis player left in the entire ranks of professional tennis. He is of course the "Living Proof" that the game was and always will be in any tennis purists mind. If you settle for the standard issue…settle in with your beer and chips in front of your flat screen. Pull up a chair and clap for the charade being paraded in front of you. Take a look at the political climate…what is wrong with this picture? Is it really becoming a "reality television" special? Prolonged convolution…my you know what TheWatcher.

Is this tournament going to amount to anything other than another boring "baseline fest"?
                              Last edited by don_budge; 01-15-2016, 02:19 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2645 users online. 6 members and 2639 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X