ATP…Rio de Janeiro ATP 500, Marseille ATP 250, Del Ray 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    He is a muddled individual, isn't he? The bottom line is Kyrgios is just a spoilt child who wants attention. He has heard the popular press of how the game lacks personalities and he aims to fill that gap by behaving like a paper hat.

Behaving badly is out of date. It's a bit like punk rock; it's had it's time and could never be the same again second time around.

I think the players could make themselves more characterful if they were more open and honest in pressers. But as the media fry players as soon as they say something remotely "incorrect", that's unlikely to happen. Players didn't turn into stuffed manikins overnight. The media played a big part in making them like that.

Kyrgios has talent, however, and there is no denying that. He is great shot-maker. He's going to get better too.
    You naied it. His behaving badly rebel act is so clueless and out of date. If he is such a rebel and bad boy, he can just join the MMA. Nick Diaz would not be impressed.
    Last edited by stroke; 02-20-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Kyrgios wins the first set against Berdych. He is serving well and coming up with some great shots.

It will be interesting from here to see whether Kyrgios will come through and win. Berdych is a solid player these days and will keep plugging away like the workman he is. Kyrgios is by far the better shot-maker but let's see if he has the temperament to win in two straight.
      Stotty

Comment

Kyrgios wins in two straight, completely outplaying Berdych. Kyrgios played well in every facet. Good ploy to bunt his backhand returns down the middle to Berdych...so he has a brain after all. It's the best I've seen him play, to date.

Looks like I will have to put up with Kyrgios for years to come....
        Last edited by stotty; 02-20-2016, 10:59 AM.
        Stotty

Comment

Kyrgios wins in two straight, completely outplaying Berdych. Kyrgios played well in every facet. Good ploy to bunt his backhand returns down the middle to Berdych...so he has a brain after all. It's the best I've seen him play, to date.

Looks like I will have to put up with Kyrgios for years to come....
          So true. Krygios, the way he took it to Berdych, I don't think even Novak could do that. I agree about putting up with for years to come. For me, it will be kinda like Serena, I will always be pulling for the opponent. But unlike Serena, I will be watching his matches as his tennis is something.
          Last edited by stroke; 02-20-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Kyrgios v Cilic

I saw the tail end of the Kyrgios/Cilic final. Kyrgios played well. His accuracy with his serve is astonishingly good. He was almost serving aces at will. Opponents seems to find it hard to pick where it's going...plus it's going quick. I like the way he can hit all the spots with it. It's a considerable weapon.
            Stotty

Comment

Houston…we have a problem

I saw the tail end of the Kyrgios/Cilic final.
              You saw the tail end of Kyrgios…he might just have been showing his ass. I don't care whatever this idiot may accomplish with his career in tennis through the years. He is the antithesis of Roger Federer or Richard Gonzalez.

Check out the attire. Playing in a tank top. A sleeveless tank top. What class. Love the haircut too. That has to say something about the attitude…something.

You can have it. All of it. I know Roger is saying he won't be around much longer to put up with such nonsense. I'll take a Del Potro any day of the week. Kyrgios pulling off the rebel act? The guy is so obviously contrived and stupid to boot. That trash talking he made of Stan Wawrinka was a sign of lowness…like how low can you go?

He's young one might argue and he will grow into his role. Who cares? This game is beyond boring now. Six ATP tournaments in the past two weeks and not one single match of interest. I tried to look at a number of match ups that on paper one might accidentally muse to themselves…this looks interesting. But it disappoints…it always disappoints. I cannot watch it. I cannot watch a match from start to finish. It bores me.

The modern game sucks. Once you get past Federer they all look alike. Since Roger wasn't playing in any of these events it really difficult for a tennis purist to get engaged in any tournament from start to finish. If Kyrgios can keep you interested then more power to you. Personally when I look at this guy I just want to turn off the match from the beginning and since I have no interest in any of his possible opponents…it is easy to do.

Rafael Nadal was the one who started this tank top nonsense and now he cannot fight his way out of paper bag. How is that all of a sudden? Did time just catch up to him? Or is it something else? Was this last injury timeout something other than it is proclaimed to be? It's so obvious that it is almost invisible. People just don't want to see it.

People see what they want to see and disregard the rest. What I see is a game that took a wrong turn over thirty years ago and never reconnoitred itself back on course. It is what it is…it doesn't look to be spectator friendly though. None of the stands looked to be remotely filled. Nobody even on this tennis forum get overly involved with these tournaments…it's the Grand Slams or nothing at all. I think this game is in big trouble…as Stotty nightmares some weeks or not so long ago. I have been saying it forever…once Federer leaves you will hear a giant sucking sound…like the air escaping a very large balloon. Kyrgios is apropos. He is coming at a perfect time. It's called "Apocalypse Tennis"…appropriately named…by the appropriate personnel. hockeyscout.

Let me know if I am being too harsh. Houston…we have a problem.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Nick's serve is quite a weapon as you say Lc. It is a quick action, hit at apex of toss, live arm, in the mold of Tanner, Leconte, and Goran Ivanisevic. Very hard to read and it happens in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  Nick's serve is quite a weapon as you say Lc. It is a quick action, hit at apex of toss, live arm, in the mold of Tanner, Leconte, and Goran Ivanisevic. Very hard to read and it happens in a hurry.
                  I think he must strike it just after the apex. He is not as quick to unravel as Tanner and co. It looks like he throws it a tad more to the left on his first serve too than most players. I was watching Zverez the other day and he seems a bit more to the left than most also...and a bit like Soderling the walk he kind of walks under his own ball toss.

Like you say it's impossible to know for sure without seeing these things drastically slowed down. It's a shame John can't get more rights to video these up-and-coming players. It would be interesting if he could.
                  Last edited by stotty; 02-21-2016, 12:40 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    You saw the tail end of Kyrgios…he might just have been showing his ass. I don't care whatever this idiot may accomplish with his career in tennis through the years. He is the antithesis of Roger Federer or Richard Gonzalez.
                    I think Kyrgios is likely to be the next very good (can't bring myself to use the word 'great') player. Zverez looks useful too but I need to him a couple more times yet. Kyrgios has taken a couple a decent players apart this week and made it look very easy. He looked like he was going to win those matches from start to finish. He turned Berdych virtually inside out and made the job look as easy as when Roger does that kind of job on someone.

I don't like the kid but on this week's showing I would to like to see him play Djokovic again soon and see how he performs. I think Djokovic would take care of him but he might find his usual rhythm more difficult to come by. Kyrgios is hard to get rhythm against.
                    Last edited by stotty; 02-21-2016, 01:09 PM.
                    Stotty

Comment

Kyrgios won his first title today. Just his first. Yeah, let's hold off on the "great"
                      His game is explosive. Take that talent, that power, that serve, that flash, that attitude and find your way to the net young man.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2381 users online. 5 members and 2376 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X