No announcement yet.

American Style Serving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article Kyle. First thing that strikes me is that if this style produces more power, why are Nadal and Djokovic not serving faster than they do? Nadal in particular wins fewer points than most directly from his serve. I don't think either player has achieved their greatness from their serve. I certainly don't have the scientific understanding of the author, but in more simplistic terms, it would make sense for the racket to make more speed if it starts accelerating from the American style position with racket still pointing to the side fence. It has more distance to travel, therefore can achieve higher speed. Florian completely overlooks the timing of the acceleration of the racket. He points out Federer as a good example, but Federer's racket decelerates after finding this position. The original article hints at timing the acceleration phase (which for me starts with the legs pushing up) with the racket being in the American style position, and I certainly like that idea. I personally like the idea of a pause or slow down before phase two of the serve starts, and That can work with the American style position. Have a look at Andy Roddicks serve, and I see that he deliberately slows the racket right up in that American style position, before exploding into phase two. The biomechanics of accelerating through trophy position seem logical, as do the biomechanics of the racket acceleration coinciding with the start of the leg drive.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7608 users online. 3 members and 7605 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X