No announcement yet.

Miami Open (Itau)...ATP 1000...Miami, Florida...United States of America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Brit won't shut up. He is the most annoying...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What an ordeal...good night.
      don_budge

Comment

Roger v Kygrios

Must has been a hell of a match. I missed it as it was bedtime in my part of the world.

Anyone care to give a match report?
        Stotty

Comment

Wow!! Crazy match. The momentum switched in this match faster than any match I've ever seen. Federer and Kyrgios had flashes of brilliance and moments where you thought they solved the puzzle, until the other player adjusted or came up big. Kyrgios was consistently serving in the 130s throughout the whole match, easily reaching high 130s deep in 3rd set. Roger hung tough and know chances were few and far between. These players have played 6 sets against each other in their career, all 6 sets have gone into tie-breaks.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Roger Federer and Anybody (Nick Kyrgios)...Tennis' AntiChrist

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            Roger v Kygrios

Must has been a hell of a match. I missed it as it was bedtime in my part of the world.

Anyone care to give a match report?
            Originally posted by klacr View Post
            Wow!! Crazy match. The momentum switched in this match faster than any match I've ever seen. Federer and Kyrgios had flashes of brilliance and moments where you thought they solved the puzzle, until the other player adjusted or came up big. Kyrgios was consistently serving in the 130s throughout the whole match, easily reaching high 130s deep in 3rd set. Roger hung tough and know chances were few and far between. These players have played 6 sets against each other in their career, all 6 sets have gone into tie-breaks.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Amen...amen. It was a hell of a match and I missed my bedtime. I went to sleep at around ten and set my iPhone for 1 AM sharp so that I wouldn't miss a point....and I didn't. I am going to give a report but it will be like handing the paint brush of a Van Gogh to a stupid horse farmer. Who could put this match into words and do it justice. Look for yourself.

Momentum switches? Where were they? There weren't any shifts in momentum...it was deadlocked the whole damn match. They went toe to toe and danced with each other for over three hours and three tie-breakers. I know what you mean klacr...but there weren't any changes in momentum, it is just that each was evenly applying pressure to the other the entire match. What was the difference? Was it one of personality? Did Roger only win because he is the "good" guy. Make no mistake. This was all about another thing entirely. Roger refused to lose and perhaps God lent him a hand.

Roger Federer versus Anybody or in this case Not Just Anybody. It's Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios...or can we call him Nicolas Kyrsokov. Give him a Dostoyevsky characters name because he is of that kind of proportion. This was the closest that I have watched him. He's unbearable...except when he is playing Roger Federer. The man who brings the best and the worst out of everybody. He a metaphysical surgeon and he doesn't even know it. This man's character has been forged in over 1,000 tennis matches and the result is...well you saw it last night. Once in a while God makes a man that is just a step ahead of the rest and this man is it. At least on the tennis court.

The match was so dead even there isn't much to say...except watch it for yourself. Thank the Lord that you won't in this case have the sniveling, feminist Brit trying his best to deliver a description to something that was beyond words if you know anything about tennis. Here this whining politically correct nincompoop was doing a Freudian on Nicolas when all he deserved was our silence...and rapt attention. Here he was playing Roger Federer reincarnate in and under the most oppressive conditions that the pressure was felt by every single soul in that stadium and it was electronically projected to all points far away in the stratosphere. The match was standing still in time and nobody stirred. I saw every single point. I tried to look away. I tried to say I am going to bed...I don't care I told myself. Just to watch Roger serve one more time. Alright I'll watch the second set tie-break. Who was I kidding...I wasn't going nowhere. Not with my best friend "The Living Proof" doing battle with Donald Trump. The most evil man on the planet. Even though as far as I know he really hasn't done anything...ok, he broke a racquet or two. Three as it turns out.

He talked to himself the whole time. He talked to his box where his mother and his girlfriend had camped out for the evening. Only a mother could truly love this child and what about the girl...how long will she be able to take it? He talked and he talked...it was a nonstop conversation. Lord knows what he was talking about but it sort of looked as if he was admonishing himself the whole time. But in between the dots...the dots of his idiotic conversation with himself he was playing some incredibly smart, tactical tennis. Matching the savant on the other side of the net with his own rendition of being a savant. Tit for tat...spade for spade. They played their hands...until the winner took it all.

Kyrgios? Not just anybody although I don't think he can carry the whole enchilada himself like the Swiss Maestro has all of these years. He's got a two-handed backhand. What idiot put that infantile idea into his head. It's a good thing he has two hands on the backhand...otherwise he would be unstoppable. The serve while being hot and well placed...strategically correct. The serve was a tactical wizard. He didn't use it as a sledgehammer as the temptation might be...he used it as it should be and he moved it around. Into both courts. But he couldn't shake Roger...he was on to it the whole time. He made Nicolas work and work hard at times to hold. Six minute games...seven minute games. Kyrgios would get up 40-love and here was Roger chipping away at that lead...leveling at deuce and pushing the monster. Pressure...pressure...pressure. Unrelenting pressure. Kyrgios with his tactical bag of trick and his psychodrama attitude did the same to Federer. Federer muttering to himself like I have never seen him mutter before.

So enough about Kyrgios. He's a handful. In every regard. He's a monster...but he isn't so bad. He's a kid. Spoiled and petulant. But he is true to himself...if only in an unholy way. He's got...a "Basketball Jones". He and the "Amazing Mr. Monfils". My God...I know how he feels. I once quit my community college tennis team to play ghetto ball in Detroit. The call of the wild.

Roger Federer and Anybody. That's the match I take over all others in the modern game of tennis. There isn't anything on the horizon coming down the pipe either. Nothing to save us. What a stage the tennis court can be. Pitting good and evil even. Isn't that what people wanted to see here? Jesus and the AntiChrist? That wasn't just anybody Roger was playing. He dragged even Roger down into the pit. Davey Jones Locker even. I have never seen Roger dig so deep. I have never seen Roger want to win a tennis match as badly as he wanted this one. Trust me...he was wobbling but his will was like steel. He barely squeaked by Tomas Berdych the day before and here he was facing an even younger, hungrier and more talented opponent. What was Roger thinking? Where does he get his balls?

klacr is right about everything. He get's it. That was a crazy tennis match. Tennis hasn't seen a match like this since John McEnroe and Björn Borg. But it was like that pair on steroids and LSD. That scene in Miami last night was a scene out of "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test". "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest". I didn't know Ken Kesey wrote tennis matches. It was Mozart. Why was that whiney Brit trying to explain various innocuous tidbits of the Niclas Kyrsokov psyche to us. What was going on in that little brain of his? Why couldn't he just shut up and get out of the way...like Peter Fleming managed to do. Dear Peter...knows when to let the action speak for itself. It was speaking volumes.

Roger played every shot in his book...and you know who his book is. He may never have read Tilden but he sure played it. Overspin...underspin. Attack and defense. Change of pace, change of everything. "The Value of Intensive Practice" enhanced backhand. He threw everything at Kyrgios and it kept coming back at him. Interesting how Roger was just commanding on his serve. He took care of his serve as if it was his baby sets of twins he was defending. Kyrgios hardly got a whiff of chances. He broke him once and hardly threatened. At least by the score. But he was working Roger over the entire time. Physically and psychologically. Kyrgios knows how to get these older guys goats. He knows what a threat he is to there territory. He relishes it. Federer was muttering. I would give anything to know what it was that he was muttering. But he wasn't happy with Nicolas "The Jerk". All of the shenanigans. All of the trash talk. Ghetto shit. Nick was throwing all of the garbage out the window and he didn't give a shit that he was front and center. He chased down a drop shot and hit it between his legs for a winner right in front of Roger's eyes. Then he was doing a little skip and dance afterwards. Real trash talk. Pure and utter nonsense. That only "The Jerk" can pull off. The guy that people will love to hate. Reminds me of McEnroe.

The tennis? I was wondering what it would have been like if these two had wooden racquets. A Dunlop Maxply for Roger and perhaps a Slazenger for Nicolas. The magic to two wands would have produced may have been even more spell binding than that orgy they produced last night. That was one crazy tennis match. The entire crowd was under a spell. They sat for three hours...more than three in fact. Completely mesmerized by the spectacle of Roger Federer and Anybody and in this case it wasn't just anybody. Nicolas Kyrsokov...it may as well have been Nicolas Stavrogin. The character possessed by the Devil in Dostoyevsky's "The Devils". Roger Federer...Jesus Christ Superstar. It was only a tennis match. It could be that I was hallucinating because the time of night. I should have been sleeping. It was Friday night...I struggle to physically and mentally keep it together Monday thru Friday. Then to witness this ordeal in the middle of the night. It was too much. I've said too much. Those two deserve some kind of award...but the winner takes it all. His reward? Another asshole in the finals. Rafael Nadal. He makes Nicolas look like "The Golden Child".

Kyrgios is what he is. He's going to evolve...or not. Nadal is a finished product. Does Roger have anything left? What can he bring? Only the good Lord knows. Come on Roger. Or not. You've done enough. I've never seen you want it like that last night. Was it because "The Jerk" messed with your boys Birthday party the last time you played. Another match of three tie-breakers. Why can't I just shut up? The match was that good.
            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              The Brit won't shut up. He is the most annoying...
              Sorry about the Brit commentatoes. We simply don't have any good ones at the moment. Jason Goodall chips in with some decent stats and observations now and then, but he only ever plays a bit part, usually it's Pecci who takes the helm....but he has a head the size of China.

Nadal v Federer

Who is your money on? Roger must be strong favourite going in? Nadal has made the final of the Aussie Open, Indian Wells, and now Miami. I am not sure how he's done it. He seems to have a monumental battle holding serve in the matches I have watched of his so far this year. Still, the world's greatest grinder has made it to the final yet again. I will be watching the final if it's played at a reasonable hour.

Winner: Federer in two.
              Last edited by stotty; 04-01-2017, 01:12 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

Fed is the slight favorite. Things happen quick. Safe to say the oddsmakers are on board with the Rodger resurgence.

Comment

The final is scheduled for 6pm UK time. I will be back from work at 6:15pm. Perfect. I will be checking into the forum throughout the match. Anyone care to join me now and again, please do.
                  Stotty

Comment

db, you are so right, Kyrgios had Roger muttering. Kyrgios could not be more annoying, but his talent I suppose is the best since Rodger came along. As far as Nadal being anywhere close to him in the irritating category, as John would say, we will have to agree to disagree. Still love your commentary. Roger once again showed in that match, as if anymore evidence was needed, that he is the best ever. I think the oddsmakers probably have him penciled in as the favorite at Wimbledon, at age 35. Unbelievable.
                    Last edited by stroke; 04-01-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I just watched the replay of the Federer v Kyrgios first set. Kyrgios relies heavily on that first serve, doesn't he? Roger is returning so well these days and moving incredible smoothly. Smart how Roger occasionally likes to wrong-foot Kyrgios on his forehand wing. Kyrgios turns back and chops his forehand back in to play and Roger then gobbles it up. He moves well Kyrgios but is not the most nimble at turning back when wrong footed...it's a chink.

What we are going to like about Kyrgios is he likes big matches. He doesn't shy away. It was a tight first set with little in it. As always Federer looks the most threatening, most capable of pulling something out of the hat. Like Djokovic, Roger is very good at waiting for small windows against big servers.

It wasn't the best first set I have seen but it was intriguing. I may watch the next two if I get time.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        Nadal is a strong favorite at 1/5 vs Fognini. Roger is a slight favorite at 4/7. Nick somewhat appears to be trying his best most of the time now. His serve is a scary fast twitch motion, as Darren Cahill called it remisnicent of Roscoe Tanner. It really is on the returner quickly. His movement is top shelf. I do not think any other player could beat him in a 40 yard dash, but his movement is way more disciplined than someone like Monfils, who has similar athletic gifts. One thing I think we all know. Nick will not win 18(or 19) Majors. But if he does not win at least one, he can go down as a Marcelo Rios type best player never to win a Major.
                        The oddsmakers were spot on. stroke...your comments about his ability to move kept going through my mind as I was watching the match. It was a match of two equals in this department as both were trying with all what they had at hand to maneuver each other out of position. Sometimes when I watch Roger Federer play tennis I only watch him. Not the opponent. Not the ball...just Roger.

Interestingly I did the same thing with Nick Kyrgios and I found that he was rather interesting to watch. Very interesting and his movement is very pleasing to the eye. He did his best the entire match I would say. He threw in his fair share of distractions but for the most part his behavior was certainly within the boundaries of what modern tennis accepts. The broken racquets were rather amusing. He broke one on the way to shake hands with Roger. The handshake you could have written a book about. Kyrgios was less than gracious after smashing his racquet...actually he was sort of gracious after that. Maybe he just had to get it out of his system. Roger was less so. He wasn't amused and I am assuming...very, very tired and exhausted. Kyrgios amazingly looked pretty fresh. He could have gone on like that for quite a while.

In this short clip it is "The Amazing Mr. Monfils" who has a few moments to show case his basketball moves. Pretty nifty stuff in my book. Kyrgios shows his technique on a single shot off of the dribble and it looks to be pretty darn good fundamentally speaking. Another thing that would escape the eye of anyone that doesn't know basketball is the Kyrgios defensive set. This guy can defend...whether or not he has that hard nosed defensive capability remains the question. Judging from his performance against Federer he does have the capability. The key "d" in defense is often DESIRE.

Basketball Jones...Cheech and Chong

don_budge

Comment

Sometimes when I watch Roger Federer play tennis I only watch him. Not the opponent. Not the ball...just Roger.
                          I do exactly the same...

He wasn't amused and I am assuming...very, very tired and exhausted. Kyrgios amazingly looked pretty fresh. He could have gone on like that for quite a while.
                          It's very likely Roger could have overdone it this week. Let's hope the final won't be a step too far.
                          Stotty

Comment

Mark Petchey...fawning idiot. The match so far is very spotty. Both players look to be off. Federer looks to be exhausted. Nadal just doesn't look very sharp at all. Petchey is doing everything he can to convince us this is high level tennis at its finest.
                            don_budge

Comment

Mark Petchey...fawning idiot. The match so far is very spotty. Both players look to be off. Federer looks to be exhausted. Nadal just doesn't look very sharp at all. Petchey is doing everything he can to convince us this is high level tennis at its finest.
                              Good analysis. Petchey is donut.

I am watching on TennisTV where plenty of the filming has been on ground level. Nadal's second serve is sitting up like mine. He's slow so far today and missing loads. The match needs to pick up. It's a bit dull so far.
                              Stotty

Comment

Yeah...I was going to say Petchey is a zero. Which is the equivalent to a donut...or a bagel. Nadal looks real bad. It looks as if Federer is just biding his time. He just bided his time in the first set and then he struck. It was over. I hope it is straight sets. Roger needs to get off of his feet and get some rest.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2262 users online. 8 members and 2254 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X