No announcement yet.

Ultimate Fundamentals: The One Handed Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've given my login to a few people for temporary use over the years. It was a smart post--I just disagreed with it... now come on whoever you are let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      I've given my login to a few people for temporary use over the years. It was a smart post--I just disagreed with it... now come on whoever you are let us know!
      We are divided on the one-hander v two-handed on the return of serve. don_budge thinks one thing...and I think another. I thought the ghost poster had a good point. What exactly did you disagree with?

I think the two-hander can brace better and deal better - more aggressively - with high bouncing balls on the second serve.
      Last edited by stotty; 04-30-2017, 12:11 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

There is an assumption that a player can naturally develop either backhand--and then the further argument that the two handed return is better. That assumption is false I think. If you are a natural one-hander you should have a one handed backhand--and a one handed return. Even at the pro level there really isn't a way to prove either argument. We can't clone Djokovic or Murray and train them with one hand--or Federer with two. Further, for the 99.99999 percent it's a question of having a backhand, any backhand. A slice backhand return is the greatest ever if you aren't playing on the tour. So again I think it's a question of developing the most natural stroke.

Comment

^^ Agreed. One-handers should return that way. The mechanics are too different between the one and two-hander.

Anecdotally I will agree with the theory that the two-handed return is better. So many highlights of Nishikori, Agassi, Murray, and Djokovic neutralizing or hitting outright winners off powerful first serves. I don't have that mental image of any current one-hander...and historically maybe only J.Mac's block back return.

Comment

Originally posted by bdole View Post
            Anecdotally I will agree with the theory that the two-handed return is better. So many highlights of Nishikori, Agassi, Murray, and Djokovic neutralizing or hitting outright winners off powerful first serves. I don't have that mental image of any current one-hander...and historically maybe only J.Mac's block back return.
            Ditto...this is the image I have.

The two-hander is truly a great tool for returning serve. I cannot think of one one-hander that can compete with the players you mention. Once in the rally it's a pretty even contest. I guess the one-hander generally offers more variety and usually, nearly always actually, better execution of slice.

The biggest mystery in tennis is why so few players used a two-hander prior to the seventies. Rackets were far heavier and junior rackets did not exist. The urge to use two hands could never have been greater. So why didn't young children adopt the two-hander? My theory is that the game initially was game for adults and the games' earliest great players, by coincidence or otherwise, emerged one-handed. From that point it may have quickly became instilled as the best way to do it. Youngsters who subsequently came to the game may have had their impulses to use two hands coached out of them by older more experienced players who had succeeded with the one-hander. All theory on my part, but I would love to know for sure.

Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2497 users online. 7 members and 2490 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X