No announcement yet.

2017 Wimbledon Championships...ATP 2000...London, Great Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder when the last time we had an American in the semi-finals at Wimbledon. Big congratulations to Sam Querry! A big one for American tennis!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      I wonder when the last time we had an American in the semi-finals at Wimbledon. Big congratulations to Sam Querry! A big one for American tennis!
      First American in any Grand Slam semi-final since Andy Roddick in 2009. Great interview...great smile. Nice guy. What a great thing for Sam...very happy for him.
      don_budge

Comment

Sam really seems like a nice guy. Almost too nice with his huge game, Very happy for Sam also. I could see him beating anyone at this point except Fed.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Sam really seems like a nice guy. Almost too nice with his huge game, Very happy for Sam also. I could see him beating anyone at this point except Fed.
          Meanwhile...back at the ranch. Federer serving for the second set. Putting on a clinic. Stotty having a field day watching this one. 30-0. Ace...40-0. Bing...bang...bye. Two sets to love.
          don_budge

Comment

Federer...utterly superb takes out the lumbering LumberJack Raonic. Straight sets...7-6 in the third. Tomas Berdych the recipient of a walkover courtesy of Novak Djokovic. Hmmm...this match has the attention of one fine fellow in Miami. Roger utterly on form.
            don_budge

Comment

Since I have been dissecting strokes. I wonder about Djokovic's forehand. It seems like it must be tough on the arm. But father time has ticked and he has hit the perennial wall of 30. Murray as well. Federer continues to find a way to operate. It's almost boring to watch. Luckily he gives us just enough highlights like the beautiful banana forehand he hit in the tiebreak.

Not looking good for Djokovic based on the quote below:

Novak Djokovic speaks. “It’s not the shoulder, it’s the elbow that keeps bothering me. For over a year and a half actually. It’s unfortunate I have to finish Wimbledon in this way. I was able for 30 minutes to play with some pain that was bearable. All the treatments and medication couldn’t help. The serves and forehands were where I could feel it the most and after that there was really no point.”

Comment

Roger in full flight. If anyone sees him losing a match at this point at Wimbledon, they could get a great return on their money. @ Arturo, as far as injuries, there is no substitute for perfect form, but in that regard there is only one.
                Last edited by stroke; 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

TOMAS!!!!!!
                  BERDYCH!!!!!

That's why they don't play the match on paper. Berdych played steady tennis, did what he had to do, just hold serve. get to a tiebreak and see what happens. Back to back semifinal appearances for Big Berd at Wimbledon. Big test vs. Roger coming up but I'm feeling good. He's beaten Roger before in slams and could do it again...

But Roger is in true Roger form. He made Raonic look silly today. As he should. Roger sending a statement to Milos and rest of the tennis world. Raonic beat him last year when Fed was injured. Federer wanted to prove that point today, and he did. My Friday schedule is marked out. Not missing this match between my two favorites. I had opportunity to see them play live in Miami from the front row and it was surreal.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    Federer...utterly superb takes out the lumbering LumberJack Raonic. Straight sets...7-6 in the third. Tomas Berdych the recipient of a walkover courtesy of Novak Djokovic. Hmmm...this match has the attention of one fine fellow in Miami. Roger utterly on form.
                    Has my full attention!

Djokovic retired from the match aka he quit because he could not take it anymore. A walkover is when a player fails to even show up for match due to injury/illness. Tomas did a great job of hanging with Djokovic from 1st set, pushing into a tie-break. If Novak would have won 1st set do you think he would have quit? Don't think so. Tomas was winning and forced Djokovic to see the light, the light that Berdych was a gamer today and Djokovic could no longer tread water. Berdych sank the Djoker battleship. Game. Set. Match. Mr. Berdych. POJD!!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

What a day at Wimbledon....

Nothing prepared me for display Federer put on against Raonic in those first two sets. If you thought it was good on TV, you ought to have been there live because you would have been doubly impressed. Roger hardly made a error. His ball striking and timing were simply out of this world.

Tell me? How do hit a forehand that hard when you are retreating and having to back up behind the baseline? How do hit wide running forehands with that much control and maintaining such beautiful balance. How do you rifle backhands down the line off deep balls when on the move. And make it all look so easy?

Roger 'quietly prowls' around. He seizes on any opportunity in whatever form it presents itself. He's ruthless. He misses no morsels, none. Playing matches has become so routine to Roger, even big matches are routine. He strolls around the court with the authority of Lew Hoad. I wish I was a decent writer so I could convey things better for you. It's hard to find the right words to truly describe Roger when you see him play live.

Roger made Raonic look like a junior. No kidding. The only safe haven Raonic could hide was behind humungous serves. Yet plenty of his biggest serves came back, and once they did, Roger quickly built a rally that pulled the lumbering Raonic apart.

But like all great maestros, Roger saved the best until last. He was 3-0 down in the tie-break and then switched on the afterburners...stunning, absolutely stunning.

I have been going to Wimbledon for 40 years. I have watched them all, all the greats. I think Roger is certainly the most spectacular of them all and could well be the best of them all. He's that good on grass. He plays so,so well. There are very few shots he cannot pull off and his temperament is more nerveless these days. I think that is perhaps a key factor. He doesn't seem to get nervous anymore.

It was a shame for Murray and Djokovic. Murray was a set and a break up against Querry but then became injured after being wrong-footed. It was over after that despite Murray winning the 3rd set. By the 4th set he had slowed up so badly that me and my wife split the centre court and had a spectacularly priced cream tea. Well, you only live once. We got to the restaurant before the hordes by splitting early and had the place much to ourselves.

In a way the tournament is in tatters, but don't worry, I had watched both Murray and Djokovic this year and they were nowhere near the level Roger is at right now. No one is. Roger will destroy Berdych for sure. Let's hope Cilic gets to the final because he could at least give Roger a slight run for his money. Querrey would be embarrassed.

The only player who is striking the ball anywhere near Roger's level is Rafa. It's such a shame Rafa went out. They would have made a truly great final. It would have been way better for the tournament. Now we could end up with real anti-climax of a final, and probably will. McEnroe v Chris Lewis springs to mind.

Murray and Djokovic look like they need to take significant time out. That is going to alter the landscape quite a bit.
                      Last edited by stotty; 07-12-2017, 01:06 PM.
                      Stotty

Comment

I think Murray and Djokovic may not recover from an absence. Both are less aggressive in their games than Fed and even than Nadal. One more Fedal would have been nice but the truth is that Nadal was going to have trouble playing on his least favorite surface after just having won the FO.

Fed is a surgeon. I saw him live two weeks ago in Halle. To me it seems like he isn't doing anything special. It's almost boring how methodically he wins points.

But, of course, he is doing something. It's his opponent who seems to have no way to counterattack him on grass.

Also, the grass doesn't seem right this year. I mean in the past players could at least have a few rallies. This year it seems more like the grass of old. Go for it before your opponent does.

Was that your impression Stotty?

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                          I think Murray and Djokovic may not recover from an absence. Both are less aggressive in their games than Fed and even than Nadal. One more Fedal would have been nice but the truth is that Nadal was going to have trouble playing on his least favorite surface after just having won the FO.

Fed is a surgeon. I saw him live two weeks ago in Halle. To me it seems like he isn't doing anything special. It's almost boring how methodically he wins points.

But, of course, he is doing something. It's his opponent who seems to have no way to counterattack him on grass.

Also, the grass doesn't seem right this year. I mean in the past players could at least have a few rallies. This year it seems more like the grass of old. Go for it before your opponent does.

Was that your impression Stotty?
                          It's painfully obvious that Novak and Murray may not have long left. It's far harder to play their way, and when you see the difference in pace of shot between them and Roger, you can see why this is the reason for Roger's longevity. Murray in particular will struggle more than Novak. Murray is just a born retriever...not a good game style for a player getting older. Novak can hit way harder but, to date, chooses not to out of his cautious hate-to-make-a-mistake temperament. Novak is a perfectionist and absolutely hates making errors...makes him real ratty.

The courts...terrible...worst I have seen them for many years. The baselines, and crucially, inside the baselines, are littered with bad bounces. But like Novak said, it is what it is. All the more reason to shorten rallies and get to the net. The courts are right up Roger's street...brown and quick. Not as quick as the traditional grass back in the day, nor as low a bounce, but way quicker than the usual velcro grass Wimbledon has chosen to cultivate these days. This is because it has been so hot here.

Yes it is a little boring watching Roger winning so easily. Rafa could have taken him on this year and it is a shame he didn't squeeze through versus Muller. There is an old cockney saying...."we was robbed". Muller robbed us of that final. I would have loved it. All of us over here were hoping for it. We love the pair of them.
                          Last edited by stotty; 07-12-2017, 01:52 PM.
                          Stotty

Comment

How to Play a Tie-Breaker Federer Style...

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                            What a day at Wimbledon....

Nothing prepared me for display Federer put on against Raonic in those first two sets. If you thought it was good on TV, you ought to have been there live because you would have been doubly impressed. Roger hardly made a error. His ball striking and timing were simply out of this world.

Tell me? How do hit a forehand that hard when you are retreating and having to back up behind the baseline? How do hit wide running forehands with that much control and maintaining such beautiful balance. How do you rifle backhands down the line off deep balls when on the move. And make it all look so easy?

Roger 'quietly prowls' around. He seizes on any opportunity in whatever form it presents itself. He's ruthless. He misses no morsels, none. Playing matches has become so routine to Roger, even big matches are routine. He strolls around the court with the authority of Lew Hoad. I wish I was a decent writer so I could convey things better for you. It's hard to find the right words to truly describe Roger when you see him play live.

Roger made Raonic look like a junior. No kidding. The only safe haven Raonic could hide was behind humungous serves. Yet plenty of his biggest serves came back, and once they did, Roger quickly built a rally that pulled the lumbering Raonic apart.

But like all great maestros, Roger saved the best until last. He was 3-0 down in the tie-break and then switched on the afterburners...stunning, absolutely stunning.

I have been going to Wimbledon for 40 years. I have watched them all, all the greats. I think Roger is certainly the most spectacular of them all and could well be the best of them all. He's that good on grass. He plays so,so well. There are very few shots he cannot pull off and his temperament is more nerveless these days. I think that is perhaps a key factor. He doesn't seem to get nervous anymore.

It was a shame for Murray and Djokovic. Murray was a set and a break up against Querry but then became injured after being wrong-footed. It was over after that despite Murray winning the 3rd set. By the 4th set he had slowed up so badly that me and my wife split the centre court and had a spectacularly priced cream tea. Well, you only live once. We got to the restaurant before the hordes by splitting early and had the place much to ourselves.

In a way the tournament is in tatters, but don't worry, I had watched both Murray and Djokovic this year and they were nowhere near the level Roger is at right now. No one is. Roger will destroy Berdych for sure. Let's hope Cilic gets to the final because he could at least give Roger a slight run for his money. Querrey would be embarrassed.

The only player who is striking the ball anywhere near Roger's level is Rafa. It's such a shame Rafa went out. They would have made a truly great final. It would have been way better for the tournament. Now we could end up with real anti-climax of a final, and probably will. McEnroe v Chris Lewis springs to mind.

Murray and Djokovic look like they need to take significant time out. That is going to alter the landscape quite a bit.
                            First of all...thanks for sharing. Priceless thoughts. My favorite? The cream tea with the missus. Give her our best Coach Stotty. That's pretty romantic if you ask me. But what do I know about women? Answer: Plenty.

Here it is you guys and Stotty you can relive this in your mind. Recall that Roger Federer gets behind 0-3 and then rifles 5 points in a row.

3-0 Raonic, missing a first serve, presses the issue after an 8 stroke rally with a deep backhand slice approach to the Federer backhand...Federer runs around the backhand and strikes a reverse down the line that Raonic can only barely get his racquet on.

3-1 Federer hits the hits the huge forehand return of serve down the line off of a wide serve to the deuce court.

2-3 Big first serve to the Raonic backhand which he blocks back short. Federer approaches to the Raonic forehand and smother his passing shot at the net.

3-3 First serve at the pocket on the forehand side of Raonic...Federer closes quickly and hits a deft backhand drop volley.

3-4 Raonic first serve to the Federer backhand...slice return crosscourt and Raonic approaches with a nice slice backhand up that appears to be on the line with decent depth. Raonic's approach is a fascinating shot...he hits the ball outside of his sideline and takes it down the line with what appears to be some sidespin. The ball shoots off of the line and taking it frame by frame is that a trail of dust off of the line I detect before Federer strikes? The ball shoots out to Roger's right which gives him just a bit of daylight to curve the ball from his right to left (a draw in golf lingo) flat on the line bast Raonic who was covering down the line. The ball is so flat on the line that there is line on either side of the ball in the Hawkeye image of the replay.

Five spectacular points in a row from Federer...amazing!

3-5 Raonic serves into the body of Federer's backhand side and the return goes just long.

5-4 Federer aces Raonic up the middle. Match point.

6-4 Second serve to Raonic's backhand which he returns in the middle of the court. Federer attacks a forehand which Raonic hits wide. Game set and match.

Thanks again for your thoughts Stotty. We can all live vicariously through you by your thoughtful post. Life is good.
                            don_budge

Comment

Federer, Berdych, Cilic and Querrey. Those are your Wimbledon semifinalists.

This is Federer's to win, but that semi-final opponent could be tricky. Berdych one of only 6 men to have beaten Federer multiple times in a grand slam. The others being Djokovic, Nadal, Nalbandian, Corretja, Tsonga.
                              There is no fear factor that Berdych has of Federer. He knows he is human. With that said, it will still take a herculean effort for my boy to take down my #2. Friday will be bittersweet either way for me. Very happy for the winner but saddened for the loser.

Cilic and Querrey is the opening act. I don't particularly care who wins as long as they exhaust each other and make the going easy in the final for the other semifinal winner. Cilic is in great form and he was a dark horse for me this year.

Querrey scares me for the fact that he seems to play almost too loose, aloof, a complete lack of awareness for the magnitude or significance of what lies before him. He showed it in his match vs. Murray. Just a southern California kid that was out whacking some shots on a regular day, except it was not a regiular day and he was playing against the Great Britain's favorite, world #1 and defending Wimbledon champion. And yet Querrey looked as though he was having a hit around with buddies and had plans for a post play meal at In-n-Out Burger. Give me a double-double with animal style fries. That is the type of attitude and swagger that scares me. Querrey capable of beating anyone and has. No pressure, just swinging and swatting away. See ball, hit ball.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

[QUOTE=don_budge;n64614]How to Play a Tie-Breaker Federer Style...
                                But what do I know about women? Answer: Plenty.
                                /QUOTE]

In truth: Nothing. Gynecology, seduction, the big hard-on of Mellors in the forest-- sure. But you don't like Halep and Konta enough. That is where you fail.

(This is not insult but rather criticism.)

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7942 users online. 4 members and 7938 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X