2017 Wimbledon Championships...ATP 2000...London, Great Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fictional Character don_budge, a Passionate Supporter of Donald Trump

There is a real person behind don_budge, and here are three of his accomplishments:

1) College tennis scholarship

2) Dr. Krickstein's chosen hitting partner for his son Aaron, ten years younger than him.

3) Teacher at the J. Donald Budge tennis school in Maryland with the real Don Budge as his friend.

These are great accomplishments. But don_budge shouldn't let them go to his head. Just because he can be an asshole (and anyone can) doesn't mean he should. Living by trite phrases like "And when you smile the whole world smiles with you" is insufficient to a complex world. When Ella Fitzgerald sings it, that is one thing. When don_budge says it, quite another, especially when using it as schoolyard taunt.

Similarly, when Sam Querrey's star rises, don_budge shouldn't chant "Make America Great Again," thus equating Donald Trump's propaganda with poor Sam's tennis that doesn't need the extra burden.

A person wishing to indulge himself that way becomes like Adolf Hitler telephoning Gottfried von Cramm during Davis Cup, then sending him to the eastern front when he can't beat Budge.

Or like Hitler in THE BOYS IN THE BOAT influencing the lane assignments for the 1936 Olympic eight-oared rowing final.

While I agree with Noam Chomsky's assessment that Donald Trump is a dangerous authoritarian, I also now accept Chomsky's judgment that Trump is not a Fascist or Nazi, is just somebody simply and solely and soullessly out for Trump.

Similarly, in my running debate at this website, I am not saying that don_budge is a Fascist Nazi, just racist, bigoted and a misogynist. And here is a request I don't much expect him to honor.

Let's keep politics and sport separate, please, even if we permit them sometime to exist side by side in the same website.

Thank you.
    Last edited by bottle; 07-15-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post

nice thoughts on Sam. I am a little surprised that Cilic is about a 1/3 favortie in that match. I would have thought the odds would have been closer, but as Stotty has said, these oddmakers are a savvy bunch. I will defer to them.
      stroke? What's the line on Federer and Cilic? Federer a solid favorite?
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        Winners and Losers...the tiny difference?
        It's never too late to dig in a make a stand...if you don't give up hope.
        Right. Don't give up Hope. But I have given her up. And she me.

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post

stroke? What's the line on Federer and Cilic? Federer a solid favorite?

yep, substantial, 1/4 for Fed, about 4/1 for Marin. The women's final yesterday was very close to a pick 'em.

Interesting side note, last year, one could have made a very good return betting than Fed would win another Slam(as we all know, it had been a while since his last one before AO 2017 and it did not look good for him). And now of course, he is a big favortie for today, and I certainly do not see an upcoming money making opportunity(odds wise) if one thinks he will win the US Open.
          Last edited by stroke; 07-16-2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

yep, substantial, 1/4 for Fed, about 4/1 for Marin. The women's final yesterday was very close to a pick 'em.
            Those guys seem to know something, don't they? Thanks for the head up. Federer to the fore!
            don_budge

Comment

• They are savvy, but Trump was about 5/1, so one never knows. But the bookies seem to stay in business.

Comment

• The Skinny and The Line on Roger Federer versus Marin Cilic...2017 Wimbledon Men's Singles Final

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                Winners and Losers...the tiny difference?

Thank you Mister Federer for validating my teaching paradigm...Bill Tilden is the Book. Richard Gonzales is the model with the Don Budge backhand. Harry Hopman is the coach. Roger Federer is The Living Proof.
                QUOTE=stroke;n64717]yep, substantial, 1/4 for Fed, about 4/1 for Marin. The women's final yesterday was very close to a pick 'em.[/QUOTE]

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/playe...ilic/F324/C977

Roger Federer, as any other tennis player, must get himself properly motivated to take the court against any given tennis player in any given circumstance. Taking the court against Marin Cilic this afternoon at center court at Wimbledon will present a combination of emotions in the psyche of Roger and he is busy sorting them out to make certain he is in the proper state of mind to send the Croatian home wishing that his mother never had him. In this case it is going to be easy. The motivation that is...perhaps not sending him home so easily.

At the 2014 U. S. Open Roger Federer faced a once in a lifetime inspired Gael Monfils in the quarterfinals. Monfils came out of the blocks playing like a man possessed and won the first two sets 6-3, 6-3. This was pre-equipment change Federer and the task of taming Monfils that afternoon became an epic challenge that managed to sap every bit of energy he had in that tournament from him. Roger came back to win the next three sets...6-4, 7-5, 6-2 to finally dispatch Monfils but only to find a relatively fresh Marin Cilic fresh off of a easy straight set victory over Tomas Berdych...6-2, 6-4. 7-6. I remember the match against Cilic...what was I calling him in the thread? "The Sleeper"...that is what I was calling him.

https://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...-york-new-york

Cilic was breezing along and creating a vacuum in his wake. I dubbed him "The Sleeper" in the draw early and he went on to pound a dilapidated Roger Federer in the semi's in straight sets...6-3, 6-3, 6-4. No muss...no fuss. How often does that happen to "The Living Proof" of the don_budge paradigm of tennis teaching. Answer...rarely if ever in Grand Slam events. Federer hasn't forgotten this little piece of business. The next match he played against Marin was nearly as harrowing. Last year at Wimbledon...this time it was Marin taking the wind out of Federer's sails in another five set comeback from two sets down. Roger managed to pull it out 6-7, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-3. But what happened next round...Roger slipped and fell to Milos Raonic. Literally. He lost to Milos in five sets 6-3, 6-7, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3. See how these things build up in the minds of players. Roger is putting it all in perspective...measuring every minute angle and every permutation and combination. He weighs in on the equipment, his condition, his ATTITUDE...the whole shebang.

Today in couple of hours he stands on the precipice once again. He has a lot to lose and a lot to win. To go down to Marin at this point in the tournament and at this point in his career would be a tough loss. Although he has everything he needs to put it behind him...let's face it millions and millions of dollars can do a lot for an injured ego. But this isn't about money. This is about a resurgence...a reinvention of self. A final chapter in his tennis story. That's a lot of ammunition there to fuel his quest for one more Wimbledon Championship trophy. Marin took something away from Roger on two big occasions...Roger is telling himself. I am imagining. So there you go. Fuel for the Federer fire.

Marin Cilic plays the standard fare strong gripped forehand, two hand backhand with a big, big serve. Federer sees this all of the time. He is used to pitting his relative strengths and weaknesses against the likes of Cilic. Federer on the other hand presents a unique challenge for Cilic because he never sees another player on tour that can play the style of tennis that Roger can. Cilic has but one hope...that he can overpower Federer and bully him around the court with his big serve. The problem is multi fold for Marin though...Roger has a serve of his own. A very good one at that.

Another big potential problem for Cilic is controlling his emotions. Depending upon the ebb and flow of this one he might just lose the belief that he can win this one if Roger comes out playing lights out tennis. But there are lots of things that can happen here and coming out of the locker room in the right frame of mind is going to be very, very important. Marin Cilic comes out knowing he has beaten Federer in the past...one time out of seven. It was for high stakes too. But he knows the score...he knows that wasn't a fully charged Federer in 2014. Last year's Wimbledon might be more to Cilic's liking if he is looking for combustable thoughts to light his inner fire. It's complicated...unless you are Roger Federer who likely has seen nearly everything in his career.

It should be an exciting match. It's something to do on a pleasant rainy day in the middle of Sweden. Not a worry...not a care. Just to get Roger home with the trophy. The sun will rise tomorrow either way.
                Last edited by don_budge; 07-16-2017, 04:04 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

They are savvy, but Trump was about 5/1, so one never knows. But the bookies seem to stay in business.
                  So true...one never knows.
                  don_budge

Comment

• db,I just skimmed through that old 2014 US Open thread you linked. We covered some interesting stuff. It is a very interesting read looking back.

Comment

• I just hope Cilic can win the first set and make things interesting. Be good to see Roger up against it and see how he reacts.
                      Stotty

Comment

• Cilic ia a nice guy, but does he have to bounce the ball 20 times before serving?

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                          Cilic ia a nice guy, but does he have to bounce the ball 20 times before serving?
                          He's probably bloody nervous....let's give him a break this time round.
                          Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            Cilic ia a nice guy, but does he have to bounce the ball 20 times before serving?
                            Attention johnyandell...serve and swinging volley to Federer!
                            don_budge

Comment

• Nervy stuff so far....
                              Stotty

Comment

• Federer 12 straight points...getting his teeth in the match.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3222 users online. 5 members and 3217 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X