No announcement yet.

The Myth of the Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Within an acceptable range, there are a number of arm configurations that may be used in the preparatory phase of the backswing. Many contemporary players, intelligently moving to swings that more efficiently utilize the stretch shortening cycle of the kinetic chain, carry the racquet during the unit turn with the right elbow high and the racquet head tipped forward (nearly or even actually pointing toward the opponent). In such a configuration, the racquet face is already in a "face down" orientation (patting a very tall dog, indeed). If that configuration is maintained well into the backswing (the windup phase), it will almost invariably result in a good degree of a "pat the dog" look. But such a configuration is incidental (or, better, consequential), and really has little to no bearing on the important mechanical and biomechanical features of a sound forward swing and contact. In short, it doesn't matter, whatever the height of the ball may be, or even any other aspect of the swing or circumstance of the shot.

Try two swings: (1) configure the right arm going into the unit turn with the elbow at the height of the hand, the arm internally rotated, and the racquet laid flat (in the plane of the arm), and keep it that way (even after hand separation) until the forward rotation begins -- the likely result, lot's of pat the dog. (2) configure the right arm going into the unit turn with the right elbow down and well below the level of the right hand, and keep it that way, even after separation until racquet head drop, and you'll likely see very little pat the dog. But even with this second approach and second arm configuration, there will still be available all the important muscular (and biomechanical) consequences of the SSC. That's why (IMNSHO) pat the dog does not matter.

Comment

JY - FYI -- the link to the Rick Macci article / video under "Automatic Pat" is broken; I suspect the correct link should be Developing an ATP Style Forehand: Part 1

Comment

F and A, Thanks!

Comment

Most technique is a waste of time - I've found that the most important thing to learn is the movement of the hips; and it's not "rotation". Learn to hit off a wide stance and transfer the hips from back to front in a U motion, amazing things will happen. Just like Dimitrov is doing in the video above.
          Last edited by jdcremin; 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdcremin View Post
            Most technique is a waste of time - I've found that the most important thing to learn is the movement of the hips; and it's not "rotation". Learn to hit off a wide stance and transfer the hips from back to front in a U motion, amazing things will happen. Just like Dimitrov is doing in the video above.
            I like the idea of a U motion. Can you clarify this for a closed stance forehand? I realize that the stance depends on the heigh of the ball. But I find that hitting a forehand with a closed stance tends to not let me open the hips as much.

Some pros simply are rigid about closed stance forehands to get the proper weight transfer.

The U motion idea seems to emphasize a more 3 dimensional motion and not just a 2 dimensional one.

So can U happen with a closed stance forehand and if so, how?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Yeah - do it on all forehands where you have time. Just go out there and exaggerate the step - do a really wide step to the ball, get down really low, raise up as you're coming into contact. You'll see the benefits rather quickly.

Comment

Oh, so you mean U when looking at the player from the side. As in going down moving a bit forward and then up again.

Is that what you mean?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7698 users online. 7 members and 7691 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X