Rats! I fractured my foot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rats! I fractured my foot!

No, not while playing tennis. I passed out in our elevator and home and banged my foot. (Why did I pass out? My doctor prescribed too high a dosage of blood pressure medicine and my blood pressure got too low...). Luckily the fissure is small , but I have to wear a large boot to keep my foot still for 6 weeks. No tennis.
    Luckily, I have Billy Jean's Eye coach and can practice my strokes while seated in a chair (like Thomas Muster did years ago, when playing a tournament in Florida, he got out of his car, was taking his bags out, and a car crashed into him, breaking his leg). So taking inspiration from him, I am using the eyecoach in the living room. Am still exercising, just as long I do not load my right foot, so I can work with weights, do abs, stretching, almost all of my usual routine.
    Hope to heal faster than in 6 weeks.
    Shame, because I wanted to go to Basel to watch Roger play live. Oh well, on a large screen tv is fine too.

Awful. So sorry.

Comment

Very sorry to hear about that! I'm not a doctor etc, but be sure the doc treating your foot injury is fully aware of your blood pressure treatment - wishing you a good and speedy recovery!

Comment

Thanks, got treated at my local hospital by a very good surgeon (he operated me for my hip years back) and he is aware of the whole story. Well I can work on the theoretical part of my game reading more of John's articles.

Comment

Phil,
          Fast recovery please and don't get too bored reading my articles!!

Comment

Thanks all. Roger did not need my support. Played out of this world.

Comment

Wishing you a quick recovery Phil. Sorry to hear about your foot. I have no doubts you will come back and be stronger than ever!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                No, not while playing tennis. I passed out in our elevator and home and banged my foot. (Why did I pass out? My doctor prescribed too high a dosage of blood pressure medicine and my blood pressure got too low...). Luckily the fissure is small , but I have to wear a large boot to keep my foot still for 6 weeks. No tennis.
                Luckily, I have Billy Jean's Eye coach and can practice my strokes while seated in a chair (like Thomas Muster did years ago, when playing a tournament in Florida, he got out of his car, was taking his bags out, and a car crashed into him, breaking his leg). So taking inspiration from him, I am using the eyecoach in the living room. Am still exercising, just as long I do not load my right foot, so I can work with weights, do abs, stretching, almost all of my usual routine.
                Hope to heal faster than in 6 weeks.
                Shame, because I wanted to go to Basel to watch Roger play live. Oh well, on a large screen tv is fine too.
                You'll be ok. A forced prolonged absence can be a blessing in disguise. At least that is how you must play it. That sounds how you are playing. Doing what you can do. Turn a lemon into lemonade. I like your attitude. It's all about attitude in the end. Being forced from something you love...absence only makes the heart grow fonder. I predict your play with come back with renewed passion.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Speaking of Attitude...

ATTITUDE

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes." - Charles Swindoll.

"There will always be people that will be there to tell you why something will not work. I don't really need them...I know the score. It is the rare bird that will persist...alone and independent of the rest. Seeking a brighter tomorrow. A new horizon with each and every dawning day.

People will always ask you...is the bottle half full or is the bottle half empty? As if by this simple question that they will get you to commit yourself to being an optimist or a pessimist. Me...I choose to be a realist. The bottle is of course half full and half empty. The way is forwards...with an eye in the rearview...keeping a lookout for the authorities." - don_budge
                  Speaking of Attitude...
                  don_budge

Comment

Thanks friends

Comment

Sorry to hear that! A bit late here but I agree with everyone that a break can be a good thing for the body. You could also work on strengthening your upper body or do some pool work as soon as your doctor allows it.

I have read stories from injured athletes that claim to have not lost anything because of mental training.

Hope it heals soon with no incidents!

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                        A bit late here but I agree with everyone that a break can be a good thing for the body.

I have read stories from injured athletes that claim to have not lost anything because of mental training.
                        Both absolutely true...

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                          Sorry to hear that! A bit late here but I agree with everyone that a break can be a good thing for the body. You could also work on strengthening your upper body or do some pool work as soon as your doctor allows it.

Hope it heals soon with no incidents!
                          Right! Am working out with weights, doing abs, stretching, .... Have a routine of about 45 minutes a day. Also seated in a chair and practicing the serve motion. Then also without standing on my leg, doing leg strengthening exercises lying down on the floor. And my hunger to get back on the court gets bigger every day.

Comment

Thomas Muster practised with a broken leg, so I can practice with the Eye Coach...

Comment

Tongue in Cheek...Or?

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                              Try to stay absolutely still behind the ball. The little lateral lean forwards maybe counterproductive. Stay behind the ball. Your fellow Swiss Maestro is the best at staying behind the ball. That signature non-move he makes by holding is head on the ball after it has left his racquet.

Interesting to look at your fingers in the backswing and how they are working. It's as if you are playing the flute...in Snead-speak. You might want to take your grip and hold on to it...not too tightly. As if you are holding a live bird as Sam Snead said about the golf grip. Take a look at this video below...there are a couple of timeless golf tips that can actually be translated into the tennis swing. At 3.15 Sam Snead makes the point about the grip.

Ben Hogan's comments are absolutely priceless...not only regarding golf swings but the initiation of any swing in sports. The importance of the lower body. It's perhaps a bit difficult for tennis players to relate as they are moving to the ball but this emphasizes the importance of getting to the ball before the bounce and getting into position to swing with balance. Hogan gives one of the most important tennis tips of all time. Notice how Ben stays behind the ball...no lateral shifting until after contact.

Just a bit of food for thought as you patiently wait for your turn to hit the tennis ball again. Mental gymnastics.

Nice look...nice crib. Love your industriousness...the attitude. It's not what happens to you...it's how you react to it. The "Eye Coach" has turned into a priceless investment.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8755 users online. 4 members and 8751 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X