No announcement yet.

Rats! I fractured my foot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took out all blocked posters. Glad I did. Thanks don_budge. I apologize for any childish mistakes I did.

Am working out as well with my personal trainer, and best friend, Piccolo...
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 11-05-2017, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I am still using my eye coach also Phil, and have been there. I was out of tennis for about a year a couple ago with Achilles surgery.

Comment

Really comes in handy stroke(

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          I took out all blocked posters. Glad I did. Thanks don_budge. Am working out as well with my personal trainer, and best friend, Piccolo...
          https://youtu.be/MnD3bBmQ758
          Just saw this. You've got Piccolo...Stotty has Pancho...I have Puntzie. We all have dogs whose names begin with "P". That's good enough for me! Puntzie is my personal trainer as well...he takes me on a daily walk that it is a precious moment in my day. Great video with the Pooch. Glad to be out of your doghouse by the way. It never felt right. Thank you gzhpcu aka Phil...it takes two to Tango.

It wasn't your fault. We just got tangled up a bit. As Al Pacino said in "The Scent of a Woman" when he was teaching this young lovely to dance..."when dancing the Tango...if you get all tangled up...you just Tango on."

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Another two weeks to go, and the cumbersome Vacoped boot comes off. Good thing they no longer put your foot in a plaster cast. Am starting physiotherapy at a sport center today. They said they think they can get me back to playing tennis within 4-5 weeks. Mostly young guys at the center, which I prefer because they are better trained in all the modern equipment and techniques, and realize I want to get back on the courts...

In the meantime, I still have my daily workout. 400 ab reps, 30 pushups (from the knees) - three times, dumbbell exercises for shoulders and arms, arm circles and stretching, plus 100 forehands and 100 backhands with the eyecoach. Also shadow serve motion (trying to get more of the left to right motion for topspin). Have also started with leg exercises: leg raises in front and laterally, will search internet for more...

At least when I hit the courts again, my upper body will be ready.

Not to neglect my brain, am using the time also to brush up on the latest developments in quantum mechanics and cosmology. For anyone interested "The Quantum Labyrinth: How Richard Feynman and John Wheeler revolutionized theoretical physics" by Paul Halpern just came out and is excellent. If you just want to dip your toes, then I highly recommend a short book by Neil deGrasse Tyson "Astrophysics for people in a hurry".
            Last edited by gzhpcu; 11-21-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Hope that your foot is healing well! There is a nice article in the NYTimes about aqua therapy. I have run in the pool without a suit in water shoulder height about once a week. It really is very challenging and has helped strengthen my legs considerably.

Comment

Thanks, Arturo. We have aqua gym here, and thinking of starting once I can take the cumbersome boot off. Should be next Thursday. My foot is healing well, thank you. I have an outdoor pool at home, but since it is now very cold and it is not heated, will have to go to an indoor pool. The physiotherapists I go to work for Lugano's football and hockey teams and say I am doing well and they will quickly get my legs in shape to get back to the courts.

Comment

Doctor told me I do not need my boot anymore, and the fracture has healed! Feels a bit week, but now some physiotherapy will get me back on the courts soon!

Comment

Good deal!

Comment

I can now train standing with the Eye Coach standing.... Do not move too much yet with my feet, want to be careful...

Comment

Nice view. FH looks ok too.

Comment

That view from that porch is awesome, Phil. Wow! And, as JY said, the FH looks good too. Even the BH. But I'd like to see you hold your weight for just a moment at completion of your stroke; you are sliding and wobling just a bit. I'd like to see you come to a complete and absolute stop with almost 100% of your weight momentarily on your front foot and you balanced and not swaying...just for an instant. Keep up the good work!

don

Comment

Thanks don. Am still not very stable on my ankle. Afraid to load it, but it is getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                              Thanks don. Am still not very stable on my ankle. Afraid to load it, but it is getting better.
                              I can see that you are a little "gingerly" on that ankle...but never fear. Like the strokes and here's a little tip you are going to love. You are staying behind the ball nicely by the way.

At you make your unit turn...turn your racquet strings to the wall that is directly to your right. With the strings point at the wall...now point the tip of the racquet a bit towards the "other side of the net". Get your elbow away from your body and up a little higher. Lift it up a bit. You racquet might be approximately angled at 75 degrees or so to the floor. Keep your left hand on the racquet to this point. Let me see a picture of you doing this if you don't mind.

In this position you might find that you will strengthen your grip somewhat to a stronger Eastern grip. This position is what you might call a position of strength. I'm not very good with the lingo but I suspect that you will sort of accentuate a "stretch shortening cycle" here.

Ok so far? So basically all you have to say to yourself as you line yourself up to whack a forehand here is "strings to the wall...step to the ball". Swing...with a little stronger grip. You are going to be amazed!!! But take it easy...the ankle looks to be a little tender.
                              don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks, don_budge. Not quite sure as I follow. Always have been more of a visual than a verbal guy... any archive forehand footage demonstrating your point?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8571 users online. 2 members and 8569 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X