No announcement yet.

Next Version of the ATP Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't this entire discussion really about the evolution of the double bend forehand? Don't approximately 80+% of players play with a double bend forehand? With a bent elbow and a semi-western grip this definitely should be the future ATP forehand! Novak had the best bent forehand for years and players like Kyrgios are taking it to the next level. I am not saying this is the best way, but I would say it is the best for the most.

Comment

Roger's forehand is just so versatile. It's a virtuoso of a shot. He has full access to topspin in any degree he wants. I have watched him up close and he varies the amount of topspin like no one else. I have often wondered if his milder grip also gives him this topspin versatility above players with stronger grips. Is there is a link between his ATP forehand and the slightly milder grip in accessing topspin versatility? Is Roger's grip perfect for purpose?

Another bonus of Roger's forehand is he never has to skim-up lower balls like the others with stronger grips. Roger can hit through lower balls and penetrate.

I can never make up my mind whose forehand is better, Rafa's or Roger's. Roger's is more versatile for sure but Rafa's is more secure. Rafa can also dish it out once he's working inside the baseline, too. For sure, Roger's is more beautiful.
      Stotty

Comment

Stotty, same here with me about who's is better, Rafa or Fed. Fed's is certainly more efficient and easy on the eyes, but the brutality of Rafa's has it's own appeal.
        Last edited by stroke; 07-12-2018, 12:46 AM.

Comment

If we are looking for a hybrid of this forehand where there is flow with the shoulder joint and full elbow extension Del Potro is your man. His forehand hits all the checkpoints of this hybrid and can no one makes a 105mph forehand look easier than that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
            If we are looking for a hybrid of this forehand where there is flow with the shoulder joint and full elbow extension Del Potro is your man. His forehand hits all the checkpoints of this hybrid and can no one makes a 105mph forehand look easier than that guy.
            True, but is such a huge breaststroke when one doesn't need it the way to go?

Comment

Still interesting! Whether you pick Rafa or Fed both are able to do a great job within the court. I am not sure that DelPotro can handle the shots inside the court as well. But my guess is that he can handle them better than the other guys with the super modern form such as Kyrgios.

Grass court tennis is not going anywhere and the dream of winning Wimbledon will remain.

If a player has a chance to win this tournament, then they are likely to pick a forehand that will get them there.

Dimitrov is an interesting case. He hits so much like Federer and yet cannot hit it as early.

I think this comes down to physical limitations. I just don't think Dimitrov can attack the same way. He needs more time to see the ball and so he has to play deeper in the court which cuts down on his aggressiveness.

But I wonder if using a reverse finish might help Dimitrov much like Sampras used and Nadal uses inside the court.

Comment

I find it funny how we all get so enamoured with the straight arm forehand players...trust me I get it they look amazing with their beautiful early contact points. I also understand the greatest male players of all time share the straight arm hitting structure. I believe with the conservative grips these players typically use (excluding Rafa) they NEED that earlier contact point to play top 5 tennis. From my own personal experience and trust me I am nothing special, but I modeled my forehand similar to Novak...I use a semi western grip and in the unit turn the tip of my racquet is pointing toward my opponents side of the court,but I don’t feel it would be a big change for me personally to create a little more flow similar to Kyrgios timing wise. If anything I see the benefits of doing so and delivering an even bigger and heavier ball. We will be seeing a lot of these semi western double bend forehands in the next 10 years.

Comment

The only reason I brought up Del Potro is that I think he hits the hybrid checkpoints that Brian is referring to. Del Potros forehand is amazing but I don’t believe his forehand is the way of the future.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8515 users online. 5 members and 8510 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X