No announcement yet.

2019 Miami Open...ATP 1000...Miami, Florida USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the problem is that Noval lacks charisma. And as a player his game is not as entertaining. It is based on baseline bashing (which he does well...) but no variety. Doubt this style will give him longevity...

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It's easy to see why people worship Roger because his game is so pretty. He takes players out ranked below him so much easier than Rafa and Novak. Novak has to work hard to beat RBA (a player who gets stuck on your shoe and hard to get rid of) every time whereas as Roger can pull him apart.

That said, Novak plays better than Roger. He has quietly dominated Roger since 2011, including beating him twice in Wimbledon finals. He is technically just as good if not better from the baseline. How could he beat Roger otherwise if he weren't technically better from the baseline? Novak's forehand is underrated and Rafa finds it harder to deal with than Roger's. That hooking crosscourt forehand he employs gets Rafa every time.

I have to stand up for Novak because no one else does. The great thing is the stats and facts don't lie and easily back up me up. I am happy to give Roger the GOAT trophy but Novak is the best of the big four. He has proved it beyond doubt even though most couldn't bear to concede it.
      Good post. I agree Novak does not get all the credit he deserves, but I do think he is the 3rd best player of all time, and he still may move up.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It's easy to see why people worship Roger because his game is so pretty. He takes players out ranked below him so much easier than Rafa and Novak. Novak has to work hard to beat RBA (a player who gets stuck on your shoe and hard to get rid of) every time whereas as Roger can pull him apart.

That said, Novak plays better than Roger. He has quietly dominated Roger since 2011, including beating him twice in Wimbledon finals. He is technically just as good if not better from the baseline. How could he beat Roger otherwise if he weren't technically better from the baseline? Novak's forehand is underrated and Rafa finds it harder to deal with than Roger's. That hooking crosscourt forehand he employs gets Rafa every time.

I have to stand up for Novak because no one else does. The great thing is the stats and facts don't lie and easily back up me up. I am happy to give Roger the GOAT trophy but Novak is the best of the big four. He has proved it beyond doubt even though most couldn't bear to concede it.
        roger seemed to struggle with albot (arguably lucky that he beat an inspired albot)... similar kind of player to rba imo.

Comment

Tennis 101...Roger Federer chasing James Scott Connors.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Good post. I agree Novak does not get all the credit he deserves, but I do think he is the 3rd best player of all time, and he still may move up.
          Interesting first set against John Isner for Roger "The Living Proof" Federer. In the end he chalked up tournament win number 101. Take it from me...his whole career has been "Tennis 101". Now he is eight tournament wins from one of the most amazing feats in tennis history...Jimmy Connors record of 109. John McEnroe won 156...77 in singles and 78 in doubles. Greatest doubles player of all time? Greatest player of all time? Don Budge holds the record for most consecutive Grand Slam wins with six. Hard to say...GOAT. Too bad it is not possible to intelligently compare the modern era to those of the past.

But Roger marches on at the ripe old age of 38. Rounding up. He was just superb throughout the entire tournament. When taking into consideration a general lack of activity. With only Indian Wells as a warm up. Amazing he got to the finals there warming up. Look under the word performance in the dictionary and you will see Roger's smiling picture. The guy shows up and he throws the switch and it is game on. It doesn't matter who is on the other side of the court. He has the answer.

John Isner is a perfect case in point. The guy made it to the finals playing almost entirely tie-breakers but Federer put a stop to that in the first set by breaking the giant bean pole down, down, down. A 6-1 first set against Isner is almost unheard of. It looked to me as if Federer was anticipating superbly where Isner was serving. Who said it...the first step is in the mind?

He has an answer for everyone and that is why the match to watch is an always will be for as long as he is playing...Roger Federer versus Anybody. Radu Albot? Just warming up. A practice set thrown to the wolves with the outcome never in doubt. Not in Roger's mind. Filip Krajinovic has been playing some really good tennis and he played his heart out against Federer in the round of 32 but Roger was sharp and slammed the door right in his face. Daniil Medvedev...one of the hottest players on the tour and emerging as one of the top up and comers. The "Old Man" just completely shut him down. He looked futile and without a clue. Kevin Anderson in the quarters paid the price for having the audacity to defeat Federer at Wimbledon last year. He felt the sting of the 97 square as he was bagelled in the first set...Federer handed him his ass. My favourite match was Roger's pinning the young and disorganised Denis "The Menace" Shapovolav in the semi's. "The Menace" was completely clueless as to how to cope with the attack and defence of Federer. The finals was a bygone conclusion. The first set was the most watchable set ever that John Isner has participated in. Unfortunately it was not in his favour.

Play the game one-handed or two? Take your pick. The game was meant to played one handed and Roger showed us why. Only he is playing a game that resembles the classic game where virtually all players had the ability to come up with game plan A, B, C and D. Federer has run out of the alphabet...much like the greats of the past. Novak Djokovic? Nope...he doesn't have the options. Once his legs begin to wear he is cat food. He's good at what he does...but he is not a great player. He has no net game. I would dearly love to see McEnroe play Djokovic tomorrow with wooden racquets on a slick grass court. Who do you think would win?

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I still think back to a 2006 Madrid Masters Award Ceremony with Ion Tiriac where he told the crowd and Roger something like I have been watching tennis 50 and you have the best technique ever.

Comment

Roger is the best tennis player out there whether he is playing against a 2 hander or a 1 hander. Broken record, but there has never been and there may not ever be another Roger. Nick at his best can go shot for shot with him on a hard court. Novak obviously matches up well also with Roger. Roger takes the ball so early off both sides but to me, uniquely so on the 1 handed backhand. And his slice backhand is the best out there also. His forehand on the hard courts is the best out there also.

Comment

In addition to his forehand grip techniques, Roger's backhand has been dramatically improved by his 7-inch bigger racquet, and you cannot doubt that the racquet has enhanced him. His overall strokes are so different from those of great players like McEnroe, Lendl, and Sampras.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dorn View Post
                  In addition to his forehand grip techniques, Roger's backhand has been dramatically improved by his 7-inch bigger racquet, and you cannot doubt that the racquet has enhanced him. His overall strokes are so different from those of great players like McEnroe, Lendl, and Sampras.
                  What a great tournament this was. The 2019 Miami Open won by none other than Roger Federer. It's great to see this old thread get pulled out of the dust bin and resurrected. It was a great one too. Reading through these threads years later is an interesting exercise.
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8200 users online. 7 members and 8193 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X