2019 Roland Garros...ATP 2000...Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I can understand her sentiment, but to me, it just reiterates that those 3 are the best ever. Like Michael Jordon, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson, that is as good as we are ever going to see.
    She was paying them a compliment really. Every time someone pops up who looks like they might be a threat, Roger and co. just come up with an answer an accelerate away again. Tsitsipas, she says, is the closest to unlocking the door and joining the fray. He's the one player that might just join the elusive club. I'm not too sure yet, but he is enjoyable to watch. My wife thinks so too but isn't referring to his strokes.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Huge win for Dimitrov today over Cilic in 5 sets. His 2nd 5 setter in a row but it sets up a great clash with Wawrinka. One-handed backhand players going at it. I know don_budge will be watching. I have always enjoyed Dimitrov's game and thought that much like Federer, he would eventually figure out how to use all of his options. But it still seems as though he struggles with selection and which option to choose. A complete game is a blessing and a curse...but mostly a blessing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Huge win for Grigor Dimitrov...almost an understatement. I was looking in on that one off and on...as well as Stefanos Tsitsipas, Casper Ruud, Roger Federer and Kei Nishikori. These are two of those players who have hit the wall as of late. Things are changing slowly but surely. So Grigor gets a moment of temporary redemption. Now it is on to Stan Wawrinka. Speaking of backhands...Grigor's was looking a bit beefed up. He was returning the Cilic serve with a really nice drive at times.

This is one of those matches that will quickly be forgotten through the years. But more importantly the outcome determines who, hopefully, will be facing Stefanos Tsitsipas next. So one handed backhands galore! The winner of the Wawrinka/Dimitrov versus Tsitsipas will face Roger Federer. Again hopefully. Yes my friend...I will be watching. Always watching. Thinking. It's what I do. Speaking of doing...I took my third golf lesson. Building a golf swing from scratch. Very interesting. It helps to distract me. Therapy.

Casper Ruud managed to defeat Matteo Berrettini in straight sets but I wonder if he has enough to challenge Federer. He also beat Ernests Gulbis in straight sets. Ironically it was Ernests who defeated Federer when I was in Paris for the Open some years back. Casper is a Norwegian and he must have some Viking blood in his veins. I wouldn't take him too lightly that's for sure. Roger cannot afford to take anyone too lightly and I doubt that he does. I can imagine how he works up his opponents in his mind so that he prepares thoroughly for whatever may happen on the court. Preparation...the mantra of a tennis champion.

Stefanos Tsitsipas. This is the one to watch. I have been watching him very, very closely for some time now. While one can easily see the problem with the serve...what one cannot see is the heart and mind of this young player. The hunger. He has matured so much physically in the past several months...I wonder what he is eating. What are they feeding him? The abbreviated tossing motion makes for a compensatory move in the backswing but the hunger. The shoulders. The chest. He is looking magnificent. Even the clothes look a bit better. I predict a change in clothing brands soon. Maybe UNIQUO...or whatever Federer is wearing. That would be fitting.

The match of the day today is Alexander Zverev versus the young Swede/Ethiopian Mikael Ymer. I guess the younger brother is going to be the better of the two in the end. The older, Elias, seems to be stuck in the proverbial rut. But Zverev is vulnerable...or not. He's unpredictable now. He is so far down as of late that maybe he learns how to fight. Vladimir Putin said that the one thing he learned in Stalingrad growing up is if there is going to be a fight...strike first. Strike hard. Alex must become more of street fighter. All of these top players have that in them. Mikael might sort of get to him though. This kid is so hungry and to have the opportunity to get one of these names in his sights. He might just annoy Alex so much he gets under his skin. Alex has this sort of entitlement about him. He won a few titles...big matches and he expects players to just lay down when they get in front of him. But the opposite is true. They want to kick his ass so bad because they too want to eat their way up the food chain.

The rest of the top half you can have at this point. See how much duller it is? That is because Roger is in the bottom half. It is always that much more interesting when Roger is lurking. The longer he stays in this tournament the better. If he should lose to Tsitsipas...then it will be up to Tsitsipas to maintain the interest level. Because beyond that there really isn't much to truly hold my interest. I will never forget snoozing in the Parisian sun watching Novak bounce that stupid ball umpteen times before he served the damn thing.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

That was a massive win for Grigor, but unless he can win a couple more, it may not impact him much. We all know what he is up against next.

Comment

Menu:
          Starter: Fried Ruud
          Main Course: Goffin with sautéed potatoes
          Dessert: Krajinovic and custard

Warning: The first two courses might be quick.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            Menu:
            Starter: Fried Ruud
            Main Course: Goffin with sautéed potatoes
            Dessert: Krajinovic and custard

Warning: The first two courses might be quick.
            Fed 1/14, Nadal 1/20, Stefanos 2/9. Stan is "only" 7/19, obviously on paper the best match of the day.

Comment

Even after 15 years of domination, these 3 are still pushing each other for their final place in history of the game. Most all would give it to Roger right now based on his Major tally, weeks at #1, and perfect technique. But to me Nadal and Novak have an argument, when one factors in head to head records and Masters 1000's accomplishments, along with the Nadal beyond belief FO record. Its like they all realize it and all really want to win this FO. As Stotty pointed out, Nadal even has upped his intensity if possible. I have always felt Novak was maybe the most fragile of the 3(this is a very tough curve here) but he is engaged right now I think. Roger as always, the gold standard.
              Last edited by stroke; 05-31-2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Fed 1/14, Nadal 1/20, Stefanos 2/9. Stan is "only" 7/19, obviously on paper the best match of the day.
                Roger Federer on cruise control. A perfect second round. He lolly gaged his way into a third set tie-break just for the practice. I remember thinking that at around three all his attitude sort of changed. I figured he wanted to put himself into a bit of a tight situation. Wouldn't it be nice if you could orchestrate matches like that? I think he can...he has such an easy time with players such as Casper Ruud...ranked in the fifties. Federer just toys with them.

The Wawrinka/Dimitrov has so much potential. Both have had their fair share of problems the last couple of years it seems. Both have been struggling to find the form once again. Here they are faced off against each other with their head to head hanging in the balance at four matches apiece.

Stefanos is steadily becoming the type of player to watch against anybody. Just as Roger Federer is the match of the day...any day. Against Anybody. I understand the mental gymnastics of rating the Big Three (or the Big Four minus Andy Murray). The difference is the other two are just freaking boring to watch if it is anyone other than against the other two in the Big Three. You see how Andy has faded away without really being missed. He was actually more entertaining than either Djokovic or Nadal.

This will be an excellent test for Tsitsipas. Filip Krjinovic is one of those guys who are lurking just under the radar hoping to crack into the first string. This time last year he was #27 so he sort of slipped and fell. But he has been steadily climbing so it will be interesting to see if he can make himself formidable against the rising star of Greece. Zorba reincarnate.
                don_budge

Comment

Nadal looking like that older slower version of himself in the 3rd set vs Goffin. I just do not think he is going to win this tournament, but I am often wrong. I can see Fed, Stefanos, or Novak(obviously) taking him out.

Comment

Nadal looking like that older slower version of himself in the 3rd set vs Goffin. I just do not think he is going to win this tournament, but I am often wrong. I can see Fed, Stefanos, or Novak(obviously) taking him out.
                    Well I got the menu spot on. I should have gone to the bookies. The problem is the bookies won't give me much return because they have the same menu as me.... Tennis has been pretty predictable the last decade where the top string are concerned.

I wouldn't worry too much about rabid Rafa. He won't be easy to knock out. He'll be like a White Walker if he meets Roger later in the draw. Over five sets it's awfully difficult to beat the Spaniard.
                    Stotty

Comment

Can't see anything other than another Nadal/ Djokovic final next Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
                        Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

bman...here's the draw as it stands at the moment. I can appreciate the fact that you are an advocate of the conventional wisdom here...but. But I haven't given up on either Roger Federer or Stefanos Tsitsipas here. This is going to play itself out and that is half of the fun of it.

It could very well be in the cards. How many times in the past has it been so? It's like "Groundhog Day"...that old Bill Murray film. It just keeps repeating itself. Roger Federer is the oldest man in 47 years to make it to the fourth round. I wonder how long it has been since a man of his age made it to the quarters.

Stefanos Tsitsipas looks to be playing with a bit more "rage". He has beaten Roger in a Grand Slam and he has beaten Nadal on clay. It looks to me as if you can take Nadal's legs out from under him if you press him.

This isn't over. Not by a long shot. Both Nadal and Djokovic have a long way to go. We'll see in about a week who the last man standing is. Meanwhile...Tsitsipas needs to finish what he started yesterday. As do Wawrinka and Dimitrov. Dominic Thiem plays Pablos Cuevas in another all one-handed backhand duel.
                        don_budge

Comment

Nadal is the favorite, no doubt. The favorite is whoever the oddsmakers say it is. But he looks noticeably slower to me than when he was at his best. He is now vulnerable to being moved around the court. He does not get to some balls he used to. We saw it by Goffin yesterday in the 3rd set. Of course, it is not easy to do that for 3 sets. It is going to be tough to take out the king. That's what makes this so interesting. Roger really wants the chance as does Tsitsipas. Of course, Novak has done it, he has beaten the king at his best here at FO. Along with Soderling, those are his freakin 2 losses here. Unbelievable.
                          Last edited by stroke; 06-01-2019, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
                            A lot of us can't. But tennis is a funny game and you never know. As don_budge says, there is a long way to go for anyone who is going to lift that trophy. For the most part it is about efficiency at this point. Everyone will have in their mind that they are going to meet Rafa at some point if they are to lift the trophy. To beat Rafa, it's essential to have a full tank of fuel or it just won't be possible. Roger and Novak both know how essential it will be to conserve fuel to be ready for Rafa. Zverev needs an efficient win today for sure.

But make no mistake, this tournament is built round Rafa and to beat him it will be essential for any player to have all his ducks in a row with not even a feather out of line.
                            Stotty

Comment

The Education of a Tennis Champion...

Stefanos Tsitsipas has himself an interesting conundrum at the moment. Last night he played with a lot of passion and led two sets to one and five games all in the third. But today is another day...a different day and somehow Filip Krajinovic found the tools to get the job done in the third, winning it 7-6. Now it is up to Stefanos to finish what he started but without the momentum that he had going last night. Start and restart. He probably hasn't face this issue in his career...neither has Krajinovic for that matter. Anyhow...it's all in the game. Now it is game on.
                              don_budge

Comment

So much depth out there in men's tennis with guys like Krajinovic out there. And yet, the 3 great ones just keep on winning. This is quite the test for Stefanos.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9150 users online. 7 members and 9143 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X