2019 Roland Garros...ATP 2000...Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    So much depth out there in men's tennis with guys like Krajinovic out there. And yet, the 3 great ones just keep on winning. This is quite the test for Stefanos.
    Stefanos Tsitsipas managed to get the horse in the barn with all of the pitfalls pending throughout the finish of his match. He said as much as I wrote about in the difficulty of playing the rest of this match without the momentum he earned the day before. Now it is Wawrinka staring the same demon in the face as Dimitrov has levelled the set in their match. Looking at another tie-break if Wawrinka holds.

This will about do it for me today unless somehow I am still around for Dominic Thiem and Pablo Cuevas. Djokovic is playing now and he is as good as any sedative in the pharmacy when playing at Roland Garros. Try to watch him if you don't believe me. Make a note of how long you last. The continuous bouncing of the ball is mesmerising. Hypnotic. Can you imagine what it does to the player on the other side of the net.

Speaking of preserve routines...the skunk has chosen the French Open to unveil a condensed version of his umpteen bounces. He has reduced it to the bouncy bouncy while he picks at his shorts and does the shoulder to shoulder to nostril to whatever the ever...then just four bounces or so after that. It's quite a radical reduction and a conscious one at that. This skunk knows what he is doing. As Tsitsipas says..."somehow he makes you play bad". He uses a lot of gamesmanship.
    Last edited by don_budge; 06-01-2019, 05:15 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

lol on the unveiling of the new Nadal condensed version of his preserve routine

Comment

Wawrinka solves the puzzle. Dimitrov was in full command of the tie-break but somehow it looked to me as if Stan never doubted that he was going to win. He hit a mammoth backhand passing shot on Dimitrov and then closed it out with an emphasis. Stan looks very, very confident and is a dangerous opponent now for Stefanos Tsitsipas and maybe even in the next round. I was wondering if he could stand up to Nadal and go toe to toe for the title match on the line. I wonder if he is that strong mentally.

At any rate this is going to be a real test for young Stefanos. It is a huge boost for Federer I think. Somehow a match between Federer vs. Anybody is always the match to watch but if we get to see the man against either of these two it promises to be special. Even Dimitrov versus Federer would be a sight. It's tennis...the way it is supposed to be played. Well...except for the big bazookas.
        don_budge

Comment

So much depth out there in men's tennis with guys like Krajinovic out there. And yet, the 3 great ones just keep on winning. This is quite the test for Stefanos.
          Then right after that test...comes another test. Named Wawrinka.
          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Then right after that test...comes another test. Named Wawrinka.
            4th round getting intense. Fed, Novak, and Nadal with great draws are prohibitive favorites. Huge matches Stefanos vs Stan as you said, and Zverev vs Fognini. I am picking Stefanos and Fognini, but both could go either way it seems.

Comment

4th round getting intense. Fed, Novak, and Nadal with great draws are prohibitive favorites. Huge matches Stefanos vs Stan as you said, and Zverev vs Fognini. I am picking Stefanos and Fognini, but both could go either way it seems.
              Well that would be ideal if Fognini and Stefanos got through...just perfect. Fognini is cruising along just nicely at the moment.
              Stotty

Comment

Struff and Coric deep in 5th set of a quality match. Struff is 29 years old with a big game, kind of an imposing Safin type build. One of those guys that has been lost in the shuffle.

Comment

Struff and Coric deep in 5th set of a quality match. Struff is 29 years old with a big game, kind of an imposing Safin type build. One of those guys that has been lost in the shuffle.
                  They played equivalent of six sets and all for the privilege of playing Novak who won in straight sets.

I only watched half a set of Novak's match versus Caruso but it was dire what I did see. Novak looked exhausted and sapped for some strange reason yet walked over his opponent easily. It was Novak at his most unwatchable, hitting down the middle and doing nothing incisive whatsoever. I hate it when he plays like that. He can be so good when he plays like he did against Tsitsipas in the Rome final.

It's all shaping up rather nicely, though. Some nice matches on the horizon. My only gripe is that Tsitsipas and Roger might have to play each other and if that is the case one will knock the other out, which be sad for entertainment.

I am hoping the swashbuckling Italian will shine this tournament. I just love his cavalier, throw-caution-to-the-wind attitude. It would be amazing if he could win the whole thing. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility.
                  Stotty

Comment

I'll voice a minority opinion here. Even though Nadal is a touch slower than in his prime, he's made other improvements such that he's (regrettably) playing his best clay court tennis ever. He is more aggressive than in the old days (serve and first ball forehand combination is untouchable) with better touch, net game, backhand, and ability to change direction. His understanding and use of the geometry of the court is second to none. If he is a bit slower, it is less exposed because he is less likely to play defensively now.

The culprit in all this is Carlos Moya. Nadal appeared to be clearly declining in 15-16, but he's experienced a renaissance since picking up Moya in 17 and is pretty much as dominating as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
                      I'll voice a minority opinion here. Even though Nadal is a touch slower than in his prime, he's made other improvements such that he's (regrettably) playing his best clay court tennis ever. He is more aggressive than in the old days (serve and first ball forehand combination is untouchable) with better touch, net game, backhand, and ability to change direction. His understanding and use of the geometry of the court is second to none. If he is a bit slower, it is less exposed because he is less likely to play defensively now.

The culprit in all this is Carlos Moya. Nadal appeared to be clearly declining in 15-16, but he's experienced a renaissance since picking up Moya in 17 and is pretty much as dominating as ever.
                      All true. I wouldn't contest any of it. I guess the problem is Roger and Novak have also developed as players also. Roger is a better player now than in his twenties. But stroke is right. Rafa has lost that blistering speed he once had. You only have to watch the 2008 Wimbledon final on YouTube to see what I mean.The thing is that additional speed counted for so, so much.
                      Stotty

Comment

Round of Sixteen Roland Garros Match of the Day...Stefanos Tsitsipas versus Stan Wawrinka

A little bit of a surprise? Did you think that I was biased to Roger Federer? Trust me...I'm as objective as they come. Just ask me. But seriously, what a huge for Stefanos and for Stan for that matter. Tsitsipas has come into this tournament gunning and shooting from the hip. Shoot first and ask questions later. He was thrown a curve ball when his match was postponed in the middle of his dust up of Krajinovic but he got the job done. He got the horse in the barn...and he learned something in the process. So goes the education of a tennis player. You didn't think that great champions were born did you? Look at Roger Federer when he was just seventeen...if you know what I mean.

Tsitsipas and Wawrinka are two guys with a lot to prove today and should they succeed hopefully they get the winner of Roger and Leonardo Mayer. Mayer desperately would love to be the spoiler of all don_budge had planned. Wawrinka looked so solid, confident and indestructible against Grigor Dimitrov. Dimitrov would back him into a corner and Stan would just shrug him off...like a pesky mosquito. He just swatted him down when it counted. I hope it goes five so the winner will be as taxed as possible before hopefully heading into a quarterfinal with Federer.

Federer's match with Mayer is a close second in the "Match of the Day" ratings. Maybe I should have made it a tie. But no...that would be evidence of bias. Not objectivity. Which is what we strive for. Don't we? Come on Stefanos! Come on Roger! Come on Stan! Let's see some great tennis...the way it was meant to be played (minus the big bazooka tennis racquets).
                        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post

Super post bman. Speaking of geometry of the court...here you demonstrate the geometry of an excellent post. Great angles. You are no minority opinion...its yours and you own it. Keep 'em coming.
                          don_budge

Comment

Fed is of course a massive favorite at 1/10. Stefano is a very slight favorite, unusual out there as we all know, at 5/6, Stan is 6/5. Nadal is a beyond massive favorite at 1/100. Fabio/Alex is virtually a pick em, Fabio at 10/11 and Alex at 21/20. If I could only watch one, no doubt to me it would be Stefanos vs Stan. Fed is in a great spot, not spending much energy and probably looking at another 3 sets today. Stan and Alex probably 5 and coming up to Fed not fresh.

Comment

tremendous 1st set won in tiebreak by Stan, tremendous ball striking by both. That one little issue in Stefanos' game, that slight hitch in the serve, cost him dearly as he double faulted on set point in the tiebreak. I love Stan's serve motion and entire game. What a test for Stefanos here.

Comment

after 2 hours 11 minutes of very physical tennis, it is one set apiece for the opportunity to play a very well rested with a good draw Roger. Who to pick?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8132 users online. 7 members and 8125 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X