No announcement yet.

2019 Roland Garros...ATP 2000...Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually had to leave my house at a rain delay at 4-1 in the 5th, Novak serving. I guess Novak made a run at it but could not overcome. From what I saw, Thiem played really great and Novak played mostly great, with some mental lapses(which he could not afford). No mental lapses coming his way tomorrow vs Nadal.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
      I actually had to leave my house at a rain delay at 4-1 in the 5th, Novak serving. I guess Novak made a run at it but could not overcome. From what I saw, Thiem played really great and Novak played mostly great, with some mental lapses(which he could not afford). No mental lapses coming his way tomorrow vs Nadal.
      Thanks. I saw nothing of the match. I can't see Thiem pulling it off. He's played 3 and half sets today and back on tomorrow. That's tough under normal circumstances and tougher still playing against Rafa. I blame the rotten scheduling.
      Stotty

Comment

• Nadal is 1/4 favorite. Pretty strong favorite obviously.

Comment

• Big congratulations to Dominic Thiem. He seemed really surprised to be in this position after defeating Novak Djokovic in the semifinals. The wife and I were having an interesting discussion about the tennis world during the rain delay as we watch just a tad of Federer and Nadal. Man...that was one windy day. But five sets of Novak at Roland Garros is tough. I understand that the coffee sales hit a record high. It got a little dicey towards the end as Dominic had a tough time getting that horsey in the barn...but he managed it in the end. Novak put up minimal resistance actually as he wasn't truly serious about this match. After all...what would he be doing playing at the net if he was? He actually serve and volleyed one point...and won it! Dominic doesn't necessarily hit great passing shots preferring to blast the cover off of the ball as opposed to some placement. Several times Novak went to the net toward the end and Dominic just blasted it down the middle. He made Novak look like a volleyer...which is a good trick because surely he is very mediocre at the net.

But as a side note...Roger pointed out earlier in the week when Serenity Now (Serena Williams) booted Dominic Thiem out of the interview room so she could get on with her life. Seriously...can anyone actually imagine this person as a mother? Is she actually capable of thinking of anyone other than herself? I can imagine that she has gotten over the novelty and has hired some help to take care of the child. But the whole interview fiasco is probably behind everyone. I know the tennis world. Short memories that serve the purpose of the machine. But I remember. They kicked out Dominic Thiem who played five sets to get his way into the finals. Best of five just as all of the MEN play. But a third round loser in the ladies draw who lost in two straight sets was treated like the DIVA that she imagines herself to be was privileged over a MAN superstar (Roger's words).

Fafa Nadal versus Dominic Thiem. It's really hard to care about this match...except the dislike for Nadal balances the small window of opportunity for Thiem. It would be nice to see Dominic win but it is impossible to invest any real emotion into this match. I hope that the weather is nice...in Gay Paris.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Thiem has no other gear other than flat out bombardment. So far he hasn't needed another gear. As far as I can see he has no artistry and there isn't too much to like about his game...unless you like that type of thing. These days people seem to get excited simply because a player has a one-handed backhand. One-handed or two-handed...what's the difference if the game style is the same?

Anyway, Rafa rarely loses to players with one-handed backhands, and never at Roland Garros. Can Thiem break that deadlock? Doubtful...but let's see.

Great point bman made about how the wind stopped Roger serving with his usual pinpoint tactical accuracy. He did mange to knife some beautiful sliced backhands which Rafa literally had to dig out of the court. The conditions just didn't allow him to do it often enough or accurately enough.
            Stotty

Comment

Novak loses the 3rd 7-5 with some looks to me like very questionable forays into the net, evidently not trusting his groundstrokes to go toe to toe with Thiem. Very strange it seems.
              It was strange.
              don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                It was strange.
                It was a strange match. A very strange match as Djokovic affairs generally tend to go. He seemed to be a bit out of control and his hallmark is control. But I only saw bits and pieces. I watched it from the last rain delay until finally Thiem had him in the barn.

Right after the rain delay, I am not certain if it was the very first point...I think it was. Was it deuce and 4-1 Thiem? Djokovic didn't play a ball on the baseline and had the umpire come and check the mark. The umpire confirmed that the ball was in as the linesman didn't call it out but the replay showed the ball clearly out. Djokovic was plenty miffed...these guys know if the ball is in or out but he managed to hold serve. Dominic serving to go up 5-2 but he blows his serve...is my memory serving me correctly? Djokovic manages to miraculously square the match but lets it slip away. On the way he starts to play the net...which is strange. It is almost a tactic that he does when he has conceded. But somehow it is working. He actually serves and volleys a two shot combination for a point. Thiem seems somewhat clueless about passing the net player.

Perhaps it was the delays and the interruptions that gave the match a somewhat strange feel. The weather too contributed. Personally I think that the weather actually enhance the watchability of the matches as things were not so monotonously predictable. So today is the final and Dominic Thiem looks to put an end to the domination of Rafael Nadal. Good Luck I say to this nice young man from Austria who was so unceremoniously interrupted in his interview earlier in the tournament. Whoopi Goldburg was blabbing how Sister Serena is such a SuperStar and icon whereas she had never heard of Thiem. Showing ignorance and stupidity in the same breath which she regularly does on her retarded program...The View. Whatever...it is high time for Thiem to elevate himself as a hero. Come on Dominic...sometimes you just have to be a man about it. My old, good friend Leon told me that years ago as I was moping around lamenting of another love affair gone sour. Dominic...be the man that you were destined to be. Take that skunk DOWN!!!
                don_budge

Comment

• Whoopi Goldberg chimes in for Serena. Perfect. Next lets get someone to interview her loving husband about how all is right with the world and how wonderful Serena is, and a great mother, one of the best ever. Oprah probably agrees also, and her book club.

Comment

• Thiem is just not a great match up with Nadal. Fed has all the options and gave it a good go. Novak at his best can take Nadal but for some reason, unlike Fed and Nadal, he gets moody or whatever it is(like Thiem match) and does not play at his level. Thiem has one advantage only to me. He is in his absolute physical prime and Nadal is not. That is about it. One of Thiem's biggest weapons is the huge kick serve to the ad side, or vs Nadal, right to the Nadal forehand. It is just very difficult for a one hander to go back down the line vs the Nadal hook forehand, a tactic Novak does best when he is in the mood.

Comment

Thiem is just not a great match up with Nadal. Fed has all the options and gave it a good go. Novak at his best can take Nadal but for some reason, unlike Fed and Nadal, he gets moody or whatever it is(like Thiem match) and does not play at his level. Thiem has one advantage only to me. He is in his absolute physical prime and Nadal is not. That is about it. One of Thiem's biggest weapons is the huge kick serve to the ad side, or vs Nadal, right to the Nadal forehand. It is just very difficult for a one hander to go back down the line vs the Nadal hook forehand, a tactic Novak does best when he is in the mood.
                      Novak is completely miffed. I don't watch all the pressers but it's the first time I have seen Novak bordering on hostile. He had it all planned. He was going to take down Rafa in the final and win the French Open. He just didn't reckon on winds of 50mph plus coming to ruin his plans. His refusal to knuckle down in the first set cost him the match. It's not the first time the weather has affected the outcome of his matches at the French Open. The thing is every year the weather at this time of year in France can be turbulent. You have to factor the weather into your plans...all kinds of weather.

I can't see Dominic troubling Rafa in the way Novak can. Rafa will be delighted that Novak is out and his opponent is Dominic. The young Austrian only has one game in my view so let's hope he comes out sizzling. Courier states Dominic is one of the fittest players on the tour and not having had rest day shouldn't impact things too much. Let's hope so for the sake of a decent final.

Let's hope Dominic can nick the first set. If not, I will be off to walk the dog.
                      Stotty

Comment

Thiem is just not a great match up with Nadal. Fed has all the options and gave it a good go. Novak at his best can take Nadal but for some reason, unlike Fed and Nadal, he gets moody or whatever it is(like Thiem match) and does not play at his level. Thiem has one advantage only to me. He is in his absolute physical prime and Nadal is not. That is about it. One of Thiem's biggest weapons is the huge kick serve to the ad side, or vs Nadal, right to the Nadal forehand. It is just very difficult for a one hander to go back down the line vs the Nadal hook forehand, a tactic Novak does best when he is in the mood.
                        Dominic Thiem is what you call in the development stages. He took a big step to take Novak down in such a huge match under such trying conditions. He tried to serve out the match once and failed. But on his second try...two was a charm. He's learning on the fly. I am not counting Thiem out against Nadal. He is 3-6 against him head to head. I would say that is one of the toughest match ups Nadal has going. Dominic needs some sort of game plan and a couple of tactical manoeuvres two fall back on. If he gets one of them right that would be a great start. If he comes up with a couple he might just get it done. He is fit and he has shown some taste for a good fight. Maybe the incident in the presser will be a good thing...if he just gets a bit angry at the whole thing and manages to channel it. Nadal can be had I think...Federer might have been able to press him if he had been somewhat fitter. At his age that is the tough ask. But Dominic is another story at another stage of his career. Careers are made on matches like these. It is all about confidence. Beating Novak gives him a lot of confidence and he is wise enough to know that the job isn't done if he wants first place. Why enter a race to finish second?
                        don_budge

Comment

• Interesting how that was such a huge match for Novak Djokovic. If he had won that one he had a chance to hold all four Grand Slam titles once again. Did the pressure get to him? Plus the pressure of Dominic relentlessly hammering away. A combination? This a huge match for Nadal too. He has been sort of losing ground the past year or two. Not the invincible one he is used to being. This is his baby...the French Open. Might he to be a bit susceptible to the pressure. Everyone tends to think of him beyond human at Roland Garros...but might he not have nerves too. Thiem should have nothing to lose. Whereas Nadal might. Interesting psychological logistics.
                          don_budge

Comment

• Thirty bounces on the first point of the match...
                            don_budge

Comment

• Three games in and the level of play is very high. No nerves whatsoever from either player.
                              Stotty

Comment

• Dominic gets the first break of serve. Be great if he could win the opening set. The standard is very high but it's a slogging match...probably going to get a little dull despite the high level.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8026 users online. 0 members and 8026 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X