2019 Wimbledon...ATP 2000...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Once Federer got behind in that set he realised the amount of energy he would need to expend to get even and win it. He elected not to and to bank on the third set. I will refer to "The Book" and William Tilden to clarify. In his section on "Match Play and Tennis Psychology" he expands a bit on his thought about the psychology in five set matches. His thoughts are crystal clear and hit the astute tennis aficionado in the forehead like a beam of white light. Inspiration.

"In a three out of five set match, the climactic set in my opinion is usually the third. The first is naturally of great psychological value but it is not actually decisive. If you can win both the first two sets so much the better. Still the third set is the critical one. If the score is 2 sets to 0 a victory in the third means the match. If you are behind at 0-2 you must win the third or the match is lost. But in many three out of five set matches the players divide the first two sets and stand at 1 set apiece. Now the real importance of the. third set comes to the fore. If you win it and lead 2 sets to 1 the discouragement to your opponent is tremendous. By the end of a third set any player will be feeling the physical strain, more or less. To face the necessity of winning two sets in a row places a great burden on the mental and physical courage of your opponent. It looks like an awfully long road back. You may even be able to afford taking a chance of running him in the fourth set and even if you lose it, tire him so much that he will be easy in the fifth. It is, of course, better to keep pressure on in the fourth set and take no chances.

If your opponent leads you 1-2 then it's up to you to muster all the guts you have, go out for a quick victory in the fourth set and shoot the works in the fifth even if you wind up flat on your face at the end."
    Where have we seen this before. The third set is the climactic set...according to "The Book".

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

3rd set is huge, 4th set will be also. I am just not a fan of Novak's effort in the 2nd set after winning such a contested 1st set, but I guess it is not much different that what Fed had going on as you say vs Nadal.

Comment

Huge tactical error from Federer. Hit the backhand! Every time he slices Djokovic controls the point.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          Once Federer got behind in that set he realised the amount of energy he would need to expend to get even and win it. He elected not to and to bank on the third set. I will refer to "The Book" and William Tilden to clarify. In his section on "Match Play and Tennis Psychology" he expands a bit on his thought about the psychology in five set matches. His thoughts are crystal clear and hit the astute tennis aficionado in the forehead like a beam of white light. Inspiration.

"In a three out of five set match, the climactic set in my opinion is usually the third. The first is naturally of great psychological value but it is not actually decisive. If you can win both the first two sets so much the better. Still the third set is the critical one. If the score is 2 sets to 0 a victory in the third means the match. If you are behind at 0-2 you must win the third or the match is lost. But in many three out of five set matches the players divide the first two sets and stand at 1 set apiece. Now the real importance of the. third set comes to the fore. If you win it and lead 2 sets to 1 the discouragement to your opponent is tremendous. By the end of a third set any player will be feeling the physical strain, more or less. To face the necessity of winning two sets in a row places a great burden on the mental and physical courage of your opponent. It looks like an awfully long road back. You may even be able to afford taking a chance of running him in the fourth set and even if you lose it, tire him so much that he will be easy in the fifth. It is, of course, better to keep pressure on in the fourth set and take no chances.

If your opponent leads you 1-2 then it's up to you to muster all the guts you have, go out for a quick victory in the fourth set and shoot the works in the fifth even if you wind up flat on your face at the end."
          Federer looked like he was going to run through the fourth. Now he takes another chance to serve out the fourth. Djokovic has orchestrated this match like a virtuoso. As much as Federer has performed like the Maestro that he is...Djokovic is banking on the fifth. That is if he doesn't even the fourth and win it here.

don_budge

Comment

Is it just me? Djokovic doesn’t look like himself. Suck?

Comment

I wonder what the odds on for the fifth set...
              don_budge

Comment

Fowler said Novak was a slight favorite per oddmakers at start of 5th set.

Comment

I'm done. No more watching tennis indefinitely.

Comment

Federer won 218 points. Djokovic 204.
                    Another Simpson's paradox match for Fed.
                    He also had 40 more winners than Djokovic. 15 more aces. A higher first serve and 2nd serve percentage, as well as a higher percentage of points won on 1st and 2nd serves. More net points won and a higher percentage. More break points won and a higher percentage. More receiving points won.

10 more unforced errors for Fed.

You don't have to win the most points. Just the important ones.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                      Federer won 218 points. Djokovic 204.
                      Another Simpson's paradox match for Fed.
                      He also had 40 more winners than Djokovic. 15 more aces. A higher first serve and 2nd serve percentage, as well as a higher percentage of points won on 1st and 2nd serves. More net points won and a higher percentage. More break points won and a higher percentage. More receiving points won.

10 more unforced errors for Fed.

You don't have to win the most points. Just the important ones.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Amazing match! Djokovic escaped from the clutches of Fed. It reminded me of their FO semi a few years ago. Federer just needed to end it with an ace. And then wiggle his finger up at the sky. Djokovic looks like he is losing a step. Not as dominant as before. The USOpen will be very interesting.

Comment

That was a massive win for Novak. He did it his way. He let some points/games go and still won it. Too good. Watching the match, I felt like Fed was the better player. This has to be one of Roger's most regretful losses. But Roger will be ok, he is good.

Comment

That was one of the best matches ever--just brutally painful at the end since of course I was pulling for Roger.

Comment

Better match than 2008 final but even more painful. Federer needs to commit to coming over his backhand return just like against Nadal and taking his forehand and backhand down the line more often. I honestly think in the return games he needs to try to bully Novak and if he misses, that's OK because he will lose most long rallies anyway. The dinky chips don't work. By the way, is Don Budge on suicide watch?

Comment

It is hard to believe that Roger will get another shot at a Major as great as he is.

Comment

Oh, one last thing, Stroke missed another pick. Big surprise.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2865 users online. 13 members and 2852 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X