No announcement yet.

Shoulder rotation and getting to trophy position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I tried, on a rather gloomy, cool day, to toss more left. Here are a couple of contact stills. I think I've managed to change the racquet angle a few degrees. On a handful of serves that weren't filmed I felt good, and will continue to strive for that feeling. Thanks for the encouragement. Now I'm going to ice my elbow whilst watching Andy Murray.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
      Working on this thing is fun and frustrating at the same time.
      While you are young try to play golf. You like fun and frustrating...a perfect specimen. The tennis background will cut the learning curve in half. Any good courses in your area? Take my advice. After all...I am never wrong. Nor right for that matter.

don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Any good courses in your area?
        Had to laugh at this don_budge. When I'm not on Skye, I'm in St Andrews! My next door neighbour is Peter Dawson, the ex-CEO of the Royal & Ancient, I'm sure he could hook me up. On Sundays we walk over the old course to get to the beach. Despite this, I have so far resisted the lure of golf, but you never know...

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
          Had to laugh at this don_budge. When I'm not on Skye, I'm in St Andrews! My next door neighbour is Peter Dawson, the ex-CEO of the Royal & Ancient, I'm sure he could hook me up. On Sundays we walk over the old course to get to the beach. Despite this, I have so far resisted the lure of golf, but you never know...
          Interesting photos of the serve...along with the question and the "fixes". Most importantly you are leaning into the court and going after the ball. Whether you are tilted to this degree or that degree is of little consequence now as you will figure out where the point of perfect equilibrium will be with each variation of your serve. It seems to me that the toss of the ball is going to determine this to a large extent and the type of serve is going to determine where you toss the ball. So it is a question of ball position.

Which brings me to my second point on a more personal level. The most interesting thing about what you call your obsession with the service motion is that few players get to this level of nit pick. Most will settle on anything and it all comes out looking homemade in the end. But you are determined by hell or high water to have the look of a classic service motion which speaks to your reverence not only desire for an effective motion but one that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye because you know that they are one and the same. A serve without kinks is one that flows with free energy. Perfect service motions beg for such attention.

So that tells me that you are a prime candidate for the game of golf and I must urgently suggest to you to do it now. At your age you have enough time to dream of mastering the second of God's gift to mankind in terms of recreation. Your personality revealed in your quest of improving an already pretty good motion to iron out the little kinks and blemishes is indicative of the type of mind and body it takes to play the game of golf. The only question is one of time and inclination. Once you get started there is no turning back. All of your abilities that you have worked so hard on in tennis will virtually cut your learning curve in half. Some very wise man I know once said..."tennis is golf on the run".

Ideally you can divide the year into golf and tennis season if you are so compelled to continue with tennis. I virtually saturated myself with tennis to the point where is was "been there, done that". My only reason for rekindling this interests was a desire to eat. It paid for the food. But as I grow older...as I grew older I knew early on that the level of my game was not going anywhere without paying a huge price physically and as I said...I had already done that. Golf is a game that you can play well into your advanced years. I have surprised myself where I have gotten myself to at my age and I still believe I have a lot of potential to mine. Room for improvement. It will be a question of stamina and fitness.

St. Andrews? The Mecca of golf? Are you kidding me? If that is not a sign then I'm not certain that I have ever seen one. Trust me...I see signs. Go directly to the golf course and get started. You can thank me later. Serving hard? Driving long. Dink shots? Chips and putts around the green. I think your are ready glacierguy...to be reborn. Another incarnation. Another life.

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            Which brings me to my second point on a more personal level. The most interesting thing about what you call your obsession with the service motion is that few players get to this level of nit pick. Most will settle on anything and it all comes out looking homemade in the end. But you are determined by hell or high water to have the look of a classic service motion which speaks to your reverence not only desire for an effective motion but one that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye because you know that they are one and the same. A serve without kinks is one that flows with free energy. Perfect service motions beg for such attention.
            Thanks don_budge, I am driven to improve my serve. I'm lucky to have the time, and lack of daily competition, to focus on serve. Lots of people come up to me when I'm practising and say "I should do that", but they never do! Even at the point I have reached now, the motion is so reliable - just wind it up and let it go. I totally agree with your observation that an effective motion and an aesthetically pleasing motion are one and the same. I would only add in brackets, that it's also a motion which reduces the risk of injury. I'm not there yet, but like you and your golf game, I've seen the payback from hard work, so I'm prepared to work more.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8041 users online. 2 members and 8039 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X