2019 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York USA

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Here's the draw and I consider this to be a crime against humanity. At least against tennis. Roger Federer in the top half with Novak Djokovic and "The Skunk" lurks in the bottom half. Complete and utter...how should I say this? Bull shit. Really now. Put the number two and the number three seeds in the bottom half of the draw and the number one and the number four in the top. Is that so difficult...morons? What is this...more political correctness? Fucking eh.

Federer has beaten Nadal in six of their last seven meetings. Djokovic has beaten Federer in their last million. The whole tournament is cast a pall over with this decision or lack of one. Nobody ever accused the International Tennis Federation of having too much smarts. This goes all the way back to Bill Tilden who was constantly bickering with the powers that be in the tennis world.

Ah...who cares? It's only a matter of time and don_quixote will be dead. The tennis world will live on. Albeit in some retarded capacity. Once Federer is gone color me out of here.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/cu...chtype=singles

Here's the draw and I consider this to be a crime against humanity. At least against tennis. Roger Federer in the top half with Novak Djokovic and "The Skunk" lurks in the bottom half. Complete and utter...how should I say this? Bull shit. Really now. Put the number two and the number three seeds in the bottom half of the draw and the number one and the number four in the top. Is that so difficult...morons? What is this...more political correctness? Fucking eh.

Federer has beaten Nadal in six of their last seven meetings. Djokovic has beaten Federer in their last million. The whole tournament is cast a pall over with this decision or lack of one. Nobody ever accused the International Tennis Federation of having too much smarts. This goes all the way back to Bill Tilden who was constantly bickering with the powers that be in the tennis world.

Ah...who cares? It's only a matter of time and don_quixote will be dead. The tennis world will live on. Albeit in some retarded capacity. Once Federer is gone color me out of here.
    vamos rafa!

that said, #1 v #4 and #2 v #3 seems more fair. were there last minute withdrawals? guessing there is an auto algo in place to deal with that, and fed got shafted.
    djoker has to go through daniil again first to get to fed though... .

other:
    * interesting that shapo v faa are repeating in round1 again.
    * nice to see tipsa back in the draw
    * 16y old svajda gets a main draw WC? good for him, but shouldn't he play through quallies... heck tommy paul had to play through quallies - lost , but he was playing great, and ~1300 ranking spots higher
    * speaking of youngsters, hoping
    -brooksby (will have to get through fellow youngster martinez)
    -kwon make it through quallies
    -sinner (youngest of the qualifiers?)

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post
      ...that said, #1 v #4 and #2 v #3 seems more fair. were there last minute withdrawals? guessing there is an auto algo in place to deal with that, and fed got shafted.
      djoker has to go through daniil again first to get to fed though...
      That could be problematic for Djokovic. We'll see if either get there first. But while we are looking ahead...Roger has a pretty decent draw up until the possible semi with Djokovic/Medvedev winner. But that is getting way too far ahead. I think you picked a great match in Shapovalov and Auger-Aliasimme. Also Andrey Rublev and Stefanos Tsitsipas might be interesting for first round fodder. Nadal has some obstacles to clear but he has looked nearly invincible against the competition he has face recently. Who tipsa? Tipsarevic? I thought he retired.
      don_budge

Comment

That could be problematic for Djokovic. We'll see if either get there first. But while we are looking ahead...Roger has a pretty decent draw up until the possible semi with Djokovic/Medvedev winner. But that is getting way too far ahead. I think you picked a great match in Shapovalov and Auger-Aliasimme. Also Andrey Rublev and Stefanos Tsitsipas might be interesting for first round fodder. Nadal has some obstacles to clear but he has looked nearly invincible against the competition he has face recently. Who tipsa? Tipsarevic? I thought he retired.
        duh, how could i miss rublev tsit... another amazing round1 match.

tipsa was a former top 10... injuries.. etc... notice he's back using protected rankings... amazing talent back in the day. great fighter...

and inspired me to get his glasses :P

Comment

USTA has given Nick Kyrgios and Serena Williams top billing for first day at US Open. See Nick draws crowds....

Comment

I would love to see Maria Sharapova show the demure Serena Williams the door out of the tournament in the first round. I will love it even more because Sharapova is Russian. Giving Kyrgios top billing is just plain ignorant and is a great of example of why I criticise the powers that be in the tennis world. Wait...ignorant doesn't go far enough. It's insane. Tennis metaphors life...I have said this many, many times. The idiots are in charge.
            don_budge

Comment

I would love to see Maria Sharapova show the demure Serena Williams the door out of the tournament in the first round. I will love it even more because Sharapova is Russian. Giving Kyrgios top billing is just plain ignorant and is a great of example of why I criticise the powers that be in the tennis world. Wait...ignorant doesn't go far enough. It's insane. Tennis metaphors life...I have said this many, many times. The idiots are in charge.
              rooting for serena myself. maria hasn't been playing well since her drug thing.

kyrgios draws crowd$. bottom line, this is a business... and if folks can entertain, despite not winning GS, that's a win for tennis. so i get why the tennis powers are taking advantage of kyrgios' popularity. if they can put up with the johnny mac days, they can certainly let kyrgios infractions slide.

Comment

I will not be watching the lovely Serena. Nick should have been suspended for this tournament and at AO. Should be a great tournament as the 3 great ones continue to duel for the most GS's.

Comment

rooting for serena myself. maria hasn't been playing well since her drug thing.

kyrgios draws crowd$. bottom line, this is a business... and if folks can entertain, despite not winning GS, that's a win for tennis. so i get why the tennis powers are taking advantage of kyrgios' popularity. if they can put up with the johnny mac days, they can certainly let kyrgios infractions slide.
                  Glad to hear you are rooting for Serena NYTA. Somehow...somebody has to. I am sure there are a lot of other misguided individuals like yourself rooting for her. I'm laughing as I type that. I know about the money thing and it is the big turnoff in sports these days. So old school...but I'm just a voice in the wilderness. don_quixote. Johnny Boy was pushing the limits at times but I never saw him tank. That is my only beef with Nick "The Jerk". The tanking. He is tanking half of every match it seems. He doesn't put any effort in breaking his opponents serve. He is content to trade serves until the tie-break when he tries to shift into another gear. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it backfires. If it backfires in the first set he is usually in the bag. McEnroe was an entirely different draw. He actually was at the top of the game. He at least earned his pass. Nick hasn't really done anything at this point. But this is not to say that I dislike him. I don't. I actually would like to see him have a "come to Jesus moment" and save his own ass...his soul. Otherwise he has made a pact with the wrong side. Everyone loves a good train wreck. His are getting to be rather repetitive and you know what that is...boring.

stroke thinks he needs a suspension. I think that is a drastic measure but he may be right. Most people go through life claiming they need sympathy. Understanding. But what most need is a good kick in the ass and sadly it appears that Nick is one of the herd while he tries to fool himself into believing that he is something unique. Different.
                  don_budge

Comment

Glad to hear you are rooting for Serena NYTA. Somehow...somebody has to. I am sure there are a lot of other misguided individuals like yourself rooting for her. I'm laughing as I type that. I know about the money thing and it is the big turnoff in sports these days. So old school...but I'm just a voice in the wilderness. don_quixote. Johnny Boy was pushing the limits at times but I never saw him tank. That is my only beef with Nick "The Jerk". The tanking. He is tanking half of every match it seems. He doesn't put any effort in breaking his opponents serve. He is content to trade serves until the tie-break when he tries to shift into another gear. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it backfires. If it backfires in the first set he is usually in the bag. McEnroe was an entirely different draw. He actually was at the top of the game. He at least earned his pass. Nick hasn't really done anything at this point. But this is not to say that I dislike him. I don't. I actually would like to see him have a "come to Jesus moment" and save his own ass...his soul. Otherwise he has made a pact with the wrong side. Everyone loves a good train wreck. His are getting to be rather repetitive and you know what that is...boring.

stroke thinks he needs a suspension. I think that is a drastic measure but he may be right. Most people go through life claiming they need sympathy. Understanding. But what most need is a good kick in the ass and sadly it appears that Nick is one of the herd while he tries to fool himself into believing that he is something unique. Different.
                    yeah, i'm still waiting for nk to decide... "ok let's see what happens if i actually put some effort in..."
                    that said, i think he's managing his longevity... he knows he's not a runner, and never will be. he's fragile (long points probably brings on injuries faster for him). so he focuses full bore on ending points quick unless it's an important point. his "style" of intermittent effort, i think gets alot of folks out of rhythm... big serve, dink, hard&flat bh, heavy big fh, no effort, trick shot, etc...

Comment

Opelka, my true dark horse, had a very impressive 1st round win over Fognini.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        Opelka, my true dark horse, had a very impressive 1st round win over Fognini.
                        that was impressive...

Comment

too bad sharapova couldn't give serena more of a challenge. would have been great to see a 3-set "final" in the first round.

Comment

brooksby!
                            so he's college bound, but he made it through quallies and won his first round (~$60k) maybe more if he goes further...
                            do you take the money and go pro, forego college (ncaa rules do no allow athletes to take more than 10k in earnings/winnings)...
                            or do you give up the money to play college (Baylor?) for 4 years, then go pro? (baylor is about 60k/year tuition/room&board)

Comment

brooksby!
                              so he's college bound, but he made it through quallies and won his first round (~$60k) maybe more if he goes further...
                              do you take the money and go pro, forego college (ncaa rules do no allow athletes to take more than 10k in earnings/winnings)...
                              or do you give up the money to play college (Baylor?) for 4 years, then go pro? (baylor is about 60k/year tuition/room&board)
                              Why does he have to play for four years? He can give up the money, play for a year, and then test the waters off and on during the year. If he can make a living at tennis and has a shot at the top 100, I would say he should take it.

If he loses and does not play as well, then he might need a little more time.

He might win a couple of rounds at the US Open. The real question going forward is if he can keeping doing it and can he improve quickly enough to win consistently.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8533 users online. 3 members and 8530 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X