No announcement yet.

2019 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not too sure Novak is the most boring player number 1 ever. There are quite a few that could qualify for the that title. Agassi would certainly be a good candidate for that accolade. But then I guess boringness is in the eye of the beholder.

Novak could well be the best player ever. He is certainly the best of the Big 3. He's proved it over and over since 2011. Rafa has at least been able to fend him off in his own backyard whereas Roger hasn't even been able to do that. Personally, I think Novak is a fascinating player. He had no right to beat Rafa in that 2018 Wimbledon semi nor Roger in the 2019 final, but he did. He has this ability not to fold before his opponent when it comes to high-stakes tennis. I don't like watching Novak in the day to day stuff, and seldom do, but I do like watching him at the highest level. I also like to watch him work his way through a tough draw and, hopefully, this US Open will provide that.

I see from the scoreline that Roger stuttered again. I didn't see the match.

The most boring player in the world today is Mr Plod...the diplodocus. Luckily he spends most of the time injured which is fine with me. Plenty of people like him because they say he's a nice bloke. I'm not convinced.
    Stotty

Comment

Forget Serena Wiliams’ virtue-signaling and social justice warrior shtick, Nick Kyrgios is the tennis brat we all should admire; his abrasive attitude and honesty combats tennis’ rigid norms and fake idols.

Comment

Phil, Certainly wholly agree with the Serena assessment. Actually good to see someone call out her stupidity. As far as Nick being like Mac, do not agree. Firstly, Mac never gave up and tanked like Nick. Secondly, Mac never pretended to be charming, pandering to the crowd on his terms and then going back to his true self if he is not completely happy with the way things are going for him in a match. Mac was always a jerk out there and he did not pretend to be anything else. Mac never spit at an umpire that I ever remember. As db pointed out, Nick's too cool for school jerk act really got to Steve Johnson(who is a true professional and great guy). Basicly, Nick is a poser, a fake, just one with once in a generation talent. And he is the oddsmakers #5 favorite to win the tournament.
        Last edited by stroke; 08-29-2019, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post

Forget Serena's social justice virtue-signaling, Nick Kyrgios is the tennis brat the world needs — RT Sport News
          https://www.rt.com

Forget Serena Wiliams’ virtue-signaling and social justice warrior shtick, Nick Kyrgios is the tennis brat we all should admire; his abrasive attitude and honesty combats tennis’ rigid norms and fake idols.
          Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Phil, Certainly wholly agree with the Serena assessment. Actually good to see someone call out her stupidity. As far as Nick being like Mac, do not agree. Firstly, Mac never gave up and tanked like Nick. Secondly, Mac never pretended to be charming, pandering to the crowd on his terms and then going back to his true self if he is not completely happy with the way things are going for him in a match. Mac was always a jerk out there and he did not pretend to be anything else. Mac never spit at an umpire that I ever remember. As db pointed out, Nick's too cool for school jerk act really got to Steve Johnson(who is a true professional and great guy). Basicly, Nick is a poser, a fake, just one with once in a generation talent. And he is the oddsmakers #5 favorite to win the tournament.
          Russia Today. RT...news without the Western spin. You would never hear a peep out of the Western media being so sarcastic and downright damning of Ms. Williams fake and phoney behaviour. I can smell them a mile away and this person is as phoney baloney as they come. It isn't about any of her identifiers. She is just one big phoney loaf of baloney. That's the nice way to put it and RT is calling her out with her fake S

JW act. She walls herself off from the world behind her wealth and comes out now and then telling all of us how we should act and how we should feel. I got news for you...Serena. Not in my lifetime. Go jump in a lake.

The other one they gave a somewhat free pass to as if he is some sort of saviour for the staid and boring sport of tennis. Tennis will be quite ok without him too. Nobody loves a bad guy more than don_budge but they have to have some redeeming quality. I have yet to find one in Nick. Not that I dislike him at all. Nope...I can't say that I do. I guess I keep hoping that he will redeem himself by doing something heroic. Like beating Nadal in the semi's of the U. S. Open.

But redemption comes at a price and the price of admission for Nick would be three more W's in best of five format and then the super human effort against another monumental jerk in the semi's. Probably too much to hope for. You cannot tank for a living and hope to get any kind of respect from this old tennis coach. This guy is the "pits of the world" compared to Johnny McEnroe. A genuine ill behaved rebel without a cause. But Johnny did have a cause and that is why I loved the old Mac dearly. You can have the "new" one as he too has become one of these celebrity Social Justice Warriors. Better to be seen and not heard in such a case. I can do without the moralising from such lost souls.

BTW NYTA...I love that acronym. NYTA. I always go by the full online name. The user name. Sometimes I want to call arturohernandez "Arturo" for some reason. But anyways...NYTA...the thing about Maria Sharapova is this. This is one ultimate prima donna. I am fully aware of the screaming and grunting that is going on in the tennis world and it really doesn't make much sense to me. I will say this...interestingly enough it was at the same U. S. Open qualifier site where I witnessed the "birth" of the John McEnroe professional debut. It was at a club in Queens I believe and there was a South American player named Humphrey Hoses playing when McEnroe was playing against Zan Guerry in that infamous match that he lost at sixteen years old that prevented him from getting into the main draw in 1975. Anyways...my two buddies and I heard this rather odd noise that one of the players was making every time he hit the ball. It was mild compared to what the drama queens are doing now with their pitiful yelping nonstop throughout their matches. It sounded like someone grunting on the pot trying to pass a bowel movement. I shit you not. We thought it was a rather disgusting sound but good old Humphrey persisted the entire time. That was the very first time I had heard anything like it.

But Maria took it to new heights. Dizzying heights as it is. I had the great misfortune to watch her play Mugaruza before having the further great misfortune of watching Novak Djokovic play Milos Raonic in the quarters at Roland Garros in 2015. Sharapova was not only screaming for all that she could muster but the octaves and the decibels would vary dependent upon the score. She was in fact strategically and tactically screaming in an effort to do everything she could to distract her opponent. I don't think I have witnessed such a blatant attempt to psyche out an opponent as I did that day. Truly moronic.

Strange how Roger Federer never makes a peep. He doesn't have to advertise that he is making the effort. He lets his racquet make the noise for him. Another reason why I believe that Roger is "The Living Proof" in my don_budge tennis teaching paradigm.

​​​​​​​Phil...great to see that you are reading from the "other side". Getting to the bottom of things these days isn't easy. A lot of fake news out there.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            I am not too sure Novak is the most boring player number 1 ever. There are quite a few that could qualify for the that title. Agassi would certainly be a good candidate for that accolade. But then I guess boringness is in the eye of the beholder.

Novak could well be the best player ever. He is certainly the best of the Big 3. He's proved it over and over since 2011. Rafa has at least been able to fend him off in his own backyard whereas Roger hasn't even been able to do that. Personally, I think Novak is a fascinating player. He had no right to beat Rafa in that 2018 Wimbledon semi nor Roger in the 2019 final, but he did. He has this ability not to fold before his opponent when it comes to high-stakes tennis. I don't like watching Novak in the day to day stuff, and seldom do, but I do like watching him at the highest level. I also like to watch him work his way through a tough draw and, hopefully, this US Open will provide that.

I see from the scoreline that Roger stuttered again. I didn't see the match.

The most boring player in the world today is Mr Plod...the diplodocus. Luckily he spends most of the time injured which is fine with me. Plenty of people like him because they say he's a nice bloke. I'm not convinced.
            Does Roger have some kind of PTSD at the US Open? I mean think about how many bad memories keep piling up. When I see him play on Ashe these days, it feels like watching someone overcome a trauma. He is on the court and all the bad feelings from multiple years keep adding up.

The times he had to fight to win matches here over the last 10 years keep adding up on his psyche.

The good thing is that he is overcoming them. So I see his hiccups as a good thing. He is used to adversity at the US Open and when he gets to the later rounds I hope that he punches through one last time.

And what is up with Novak. Will his shoulder problem get better?

If he had to play Stan with a bum shoulder, I can imagine it would only get worse. Even if he survives the barrage he might be hurt enough that he won't be able to reach the same heights.

What's the word on the street about his injury?

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Does Roger have some kind of PTSD at the US Open? I mean think about how many bad memories keep piling up. When I see him play on Ashe these days, it feels like watching someone overcome a trauma. He is on the court and all the bad feelings from multiple years keep adding up.

The times he had to fight to win matches here over the last 10 years keep adding up on his psyche.

The good thing is that he is overcoming them. So I see his hiccups as a good thing. He is used to adversity at the US Open and when he gets to the later rounds I hope that he punches through one last time.

And what is up with Novak. Will his shoulder problem get better?

If he had to play Stan with a bum shoulder, I can imagine it would only get worse. Even if he survives the barrage he might be hurt enough that he won't be able to reach the same heights.

What's the word on the street about his injury?
              Yes, strange thing Roger's US Open drought. At one time he reigned supreme there. Tough to explain that one. He has a dream draw yet again so maybe he will do better this time round.

Well, Novak didn't pull out so that must be a good sign. He knows there is no chance to win the tournament even if he is slightly impaired. Let's hope he remains in good shape. It would be a bummer if he got knocked with the matches he's got lined up.
              Last edited by stotty; 08-29-2019, 07:33 AM.
              Stotty

Comment

I am not liking Novak's situation. I have a feeling that when he gets in a long drawn out contested match, he will not finish.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Yes, strange thing Roger's US Open drought. At one time he reigned supreme there. Tough to explain that one. He has a dream draw yet again so maybe he will do better this time round.

Well, Novak didn't pull out so that must be a good sign. He knows there is no chance to win the tournament even if he is slightly impaired. Let's hope he remains in good shape. It would be a bummer if he got knocked with the matches he's got lined up.
                  Here is my explanation. Think of it like a soldier on the battlefield. There are so many explosions and things keep going wrong.

Eventually, you come to associate a place with trauma and bad things. I realize that tennis is not life and death. But our nervous system was built for us to survive. If this were real life, any sane person would avoid going back after so many bad experiences.

But tennis is not life and death. So all players must face their fears over and over again.

Djokovic did not look good. But he is the king of turning a losing situation into a victory...

Comment

Very briefly...the turn of events have been to Roger Federer's favour. The three most beautiful backhands in the game are in the top half of the draw. The best of all possible scenarios...Roger Federer versus Rafael Nadal in the finals. You know the preferred outcome. Back to the action.
                    don_budge

Comment

Shame that Taylor Townsend lost. But she had a good run, and showed that serve and volley is still a viable option. Great match against Halep. She followed both first and second serves to the net, keeping up the pressure. Her matches were really fun to watch. Wish her well for the future.

Comment

I am not liking Novak's situation. I have a feeling that when he gets in a long drawn out contested match, he will not finish.
                        Kudos

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                          Shame that Taylor Townsend lost. But she had a good run, and showed that serve and volley is still a viable option. Great match against Halep. She followed both first and second serves to the net, keeping up the pressure. Her matches were really fun to watch. Wish her well for the future.
                          Absolutely loving her pluck and verve. A refreshing attitude. Some years ago the genius's at the USTA including Patrick McEnroe decided that she was overweight or not in sufficient physical condition for her to participate and they strongly recommended that she stay home from the U. S. Open. Some things never change and it makes we wonder. But anyways, this Taylor Townsend is a real nice story. She's on the stocky side...it isn't hard to see that. But different people have different body types and she makes the absolute best of hers. I remember good old John Beluschi was on the stocky side as well but so unbelievable agile and nimble on his toes.

I watched some of the Halep match and it looked to me that Halep was in charge but Townsend wasn't backing down. I was really surprised to see that she had won. Good for her but maybe a little tough on the tourney seeing as the women's game is so weak and lacking in anything resembling entertaining matches. Good for Taylor and hope to see a lot of her in the future!
                          don_budge

Comment

Sixteenth time Novak has retired in mid match? Guess how many times Roger has.

This is one of those remarkable stats that’s been floating around for years, but it’s always worth repeating, especially after a weekend that saw Roger Federer win a tournament for the …

I can see why the fans were booing. Old school train of thought was you finish even if you have to crawl...crawl to the net to shake the other guys hand. You have to give him the respect of the victory. You don't just quit because...of anything. The new normal.

A lot of talk of who you like...who you don't like. Djokovic has this tendency to ham it up a bit with the injuries. Even during the Wimbledon final he was giving the appearance as if he might be out of it. Only to play on for another eight hours to eek it out in the fifth. Make of it what you will.
                            don_budge

Comment

Yes, incredible, Roger has never retired during a match. I remember a match in the Australian Open where Rafter was barely able to walk during the fifth set against Agassi, but he played on to the finish. I agree, you finish the match and do not complain, out of respect for your adversary. Djokovic does not have to wonder why he his popularity is low.

Comment

Novak has never been great with injury problems, even minor ones. He once retired in the quarter finals of Wimbledon with a blistered toe, which is unheard of. I knew he was going to pull out. I missed the match. Apparently Stan was playing the best he's played in years. Stan could well have been Novak at the top of his game anyway. Stan is more of a threat to Novak than Roger or Rafa is. It's not a bad match up for Stan if his game zones in.

I trust Roger but I don't trust people around money, and especially not people in business and money. If you could secretly handpick draws to suit Roger's passage in slams, then the past five or so years would be suspicious. The man is worth zillions to the game. Each round he gets through equates to extra millions in TV viewings and god knows what else. You see what I am driving at? It's not that Roger can't beat anybody, he can, but tougher draws would make his passage less likely, as, after all, the man is 38. Some of Rafa's draws have been tantalisingly straightforward also. Rafa is also worth a few billion to the game if he progresses nicely through slams. Not that Rafa or Roger need know anything about their 'safe passage' vouchers. But the powers that be...hmm? I am just thinking out loud here...no evidence, just a mistrust of people around huge sums of money.

Still work to be done for the great man but the odds are now stacked heavily in his favour. Rafa is looking pretty tasty too at the moment.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2376 users online. 5 members and 2371 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X