2019 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Absolutely loving her pluck and verve. A refreshing attitude. Some years ago the genius's at the USTA including Patrick McEnroe decided that she was overweight or not in sufficient physical condition for her to participate and they strongly recommended that she stay home from the U. S. Open. Some things never change and it makes we wonder. But anyways, this Taylor Townsend is a real nice story. She's on the stocky side...it isn't hard to see that. But different people have different body types and she makes the absolute best of hers. I remember good old John Beluschi was on the stocky side as well but so unbelievable agile and nimble on his toes.

I watched some of the Halep match and it looked to me that Halep was in charge but Townsend wasn't backing down. I was really surprised to see that she had won. Good for her but maybe a little tough on the tourney seeing as the women's game is so weak and lacking in anything resembling entertaining matches. Good for Taylor and hope to see a lot of her in the future!
    She was heavier before. She looks like she has slimmed down and probably can slim down a bit more. She is motivated now and I really hope she keeps it up.

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...20Townsend.mp4

My daughter asked me whether her backhand or forehand was better. I answered that it was her backhand.

I thought I saw a bit of her racket face in the backswing from the back camera angle during her match. Here is the slow-mo from youtube (sorry John you only have one video of her up).

It reminds me of Madison Keys forehand. I think that if she could tweak her forehand a bit to be more like Henin's (i.e. ATP) it would help. Since she is looking to take it on the rise and come in she would definitely benefit from a more ATP like forehand.
    Last edited by arturohernandez; 09-03-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I trust Roger but I don't trust people around money, and especially not people in business and money. If you could secretly handpick draws to suit Roger's passage in slams, then the past five or so years would be suspicious. The man is worth zillions to the game. Each round he gets through equates to extra millions in TV viewings and god knows what else. You see what I am driving at? It's not that Roger can't beat anybody, he can, but tougher draws would make his passage less likely, as, after all, the man is 38. Some of Rafa's draws have been tantalisingly straightforward also. Rafa is also worth a few billion to the game if he progresses nicely through slams. Not that Rafa or Roger need know anything about their 'safe passage' vouchers. But the powers that be...hmm? I am just thinking out loud here...no evidence, just a mistrust of people around huge sums of money.

Still work to be done for the great man but the odds are now stacked heavily in his favour. Rafa is looking pretty tasty too at the moment.
      You really think there is such a thing as corruption in sports. I mean come on. We all know that FIFA and the Olympics are squeaky clean.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        I am not liking Novak's situation. I have a feeling that when he gets in a long drawn out contested match, he will not finish.
        I saw him live against Kudla on Friday night when he supposedly was feeling better. He sliced a lot more than he usually does. His second serve was dropping into the 70's at times. He just did not look good. I have seen him twice before in person. He is usually incredible in terms of getting to balls and countering with an aggressive shot. Friday night he reminded me of what Roger and Rafa now do. They play much more strategically.

I have been expecting that Djokovic might be hit hard by a slow down in speed given how much he relies on it. HIs game seems more taxing than Roger's game and I wonder how he would adapt.

First it was the wrist. Now the shoulder. He will continue to bounce back but will he reach the same heights and maintain them as long?

The amazing thing was that at much less than 100%, I gained an appreciation for his ability to stay in points He is a fighter and he fought as much as he could. But the shoulder must be killing him to lead him to slice and serve so slowly.

I tweeted some thoughts on Friday night about his shoulder. But the commentators thought he was fine. He had recovered. I was surprised they did not see that he was clearly less than 100%

Comment

Novak has never been great with injury problems, even minor ones. He once retired in the quarter finals of Wimbledon with a blistered toe, which is unheard of. I knew he was going to pull out. I missed the match. Apparently Stan was playing the best he's played in years. Stan could well have been Novak at the top of his game anyway. Stan is more of a threat to Novak than Roger or Rafa is. It's not a bad match up for Stan if his game zones in.

I trust Roger but I don't trust people around money, and especially not people in business and money. If you could secretly handpick draws to suit Roger's passage in slams, then the past five or so years would be suspicious. The man is worth zillions to the game. Each round he gets through equates to extra millions in TV viewings and god knows what else. You see what I am driving at? It's not that Roger can't beat anybody, he can, but tougher draws would make his passage less likely, as, after all, the man is 38. Some of Rafa's draws have been tantalisingly straightforward also. Rafa is also worth a few billion to the game if he progresses nicely through slams. Not that Rafa or Roger need know anything about their 'safe passage' vouchers. But the powers that be...hmm? I am just thinking out loud here...no evidence, just a mistrust of people around huge sums of money.

Still work to be done for the great man but the odds are now stacked heavily in his favour. Rafa is looking pretty tasty too at the moment.
          The US Open scheduling did Roger an unprecedented favor(and unfairness to Dan Evans) when they scheduled their match up 1st match of the day, after Evans had played late into the afternoon 5 setter the day before because of weather delay. There was no other reason other than to give Evans the least amount of recovery time possible.

Comment

Novak's great accomplishments(certainly right there with Roger and Rafa) are even more impressive given his tendency to retire or get a bit fussy(see vs Thiem at FO). Roger and Rafa do not get fussy/moody and give anything away as we all know.

Comment

Roger is -1100 be Grigor. Nadal is an even more overwhelming favorite over Diego. If anyone thinks Grigor or Diego is going to win their match, a lot of money to be made.

Comment

Novak's great accomplishments(certainly right there with Roger and Rafa) are even more impressive given his tendency to retire or get a bit fussy(see vs Thiem at FO). Roger and Rafa do not get fussy/moody and give anything away as we all know.
                Yes well that could prove costly. Novak seems to think he has years in front of him to catch Roger and Rafa up. In truth, given his game style, I would say he has two years left at the most. So that means he has to win 5 of the next 8 slams...raise that to 6 if Roger wins this year's US Open.

That said, I still think Novak is the best of the Big 3 whatever happens.
                Stotty

Comment

Medvedev really good win over Stan. Roger up next probably, and obviously Medvedev will be the large underdog. Another situation where a lot of money to be made if anyone thinks he can beat Roger.
                  Last edited by stroke; 09-03-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Great win by Medvedev. The boy has incredible ball control. He could beat Roger if he finds his best game. He's a threat to anyone.
                    Stotty

Comment

Great win by Medvedev. The boy has incredible ball control. He could beat Roger if he finds his best game. He's a threat to anyone.
                      I see Roger hitting it short on purpose regularly and bring Medvedev in to make him volley, testing more his volley skills rmore than downright passing. That tactic against someone who volleys like Medvedev drains their confidence.

Comment

I woke this morning to find Roger had bitten the dust. Surely, my son said, who is a massive Roger fan, nothing can stop Roger now that Novak is out. You never know with tennis I told him...Roger might get injured. Lo and behold Roger gets injured.

I missed the match. I couldn't see Dimitrov winning that match in a month of Sundays. Funny game tennis.
                        Stotty

Comment

It was very very impressive effort by Grigor. He stayed mentally and physically engaged every point of the match and was rewarded with probably his best win ever. Even winning that 2nd set took tremendous tennis. He lost the 3rd and kept working every point with all he had. It will be interesting to see his tactics vs Medvedev. Obviously, I think just slugging with him is not the way to go.

Comment

It was very very impressive effort by Grigor. He stayed mentally and physically engaged every point of the match and was rewarded with probably his best win ever. Even winning that 2nd set took tremendous tennis. He lost the 3rd and kept working every point with all he had. It will be interesting to see his tactics vs Medvedev. Obviously, I think just slugging with him is not the way to go.
                            Thanks for the match report. I missed it because it was played at 2am in the morning here. I think Medvedev will be too good for Dimitrov. He's just such a difficult customer to play. I was hoping the semi would be him a Federer...not to be.
                            Stotty

Comment

"This is Grigor's moment and not my body's moment," Federer said. "Grigor was able to put me away. I fought with what I had. That's it. So it's okay."

That's old school speaking. That's that way to roll. Even though he loses...he still wins. What a guy. Terrific story here. It will be lost on the up and coming idiots. Nadal and Djokovic included.

I watched most of Wawrinka and Medvedev. Stan up an early break in the first. Medvedev hurt himself and required the attention of the trainer. But Wawrinka had a difficult time dealing with an "injured" opponent. It creates a bit of a brain disconnect as you lose focus on the matter at hand. In this case it cost Wawrinka dearly as he managed to lose the first set in a tie-break. Medvedev was just Medvedev. Just being himself. In this case he has nearly the same impossible defence to penetrate much the same as Novak Djokovic. He has a bit more variety. He threw in a bunch of drop shots followed by lobs over Wawrinka's head. He played a number of net points where he was nearly perfect. He has an interesting repertoire.

They interviewed his coach who is a French fellow. The guy said that they were working a lot on net play. Sure enough once Medvedev was injured he started to attack the net and it really threw off Wawrinka. He completely lost his rhythm. Medvedev has a good tennis IQ. He's no dummy. He looks like Mr. Pencil.
                              don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                "This is Grigor's moment and not my body's moment," Federer said. "Grigor was able to put me away. I fought with what I had. That's it. So it's okay."

That's old school speaking. That's that way to roll. Even though he loses...he still wins. What a guy. Terrific story here. It will be lost on the up and coming idiots. Nadal and Djokovic included.

I watched most of Wawrinka and Medvedev. Stan up an early break in the first. Medvedev hurt himself and required the attention of the trainer. But Wawrinka had a difficult time dealing with an "injured" opponent. It creates a bit of a brain disconnect as you lose focus on the matter at hand. In this case it cost Wawrinka dearly as he managed to lose the first set in a tie-break. Medvedev was just Medvedev. Just being himself. In this case he has nearly the same impossible defence to penetrate much the same as Novak Djokovic. He has a bit more variety. He threw in a bunch of drop shots followed by lobs over Wawrinka's head. He played a number of net points where he was nearly perfect. He has an interesting repertoire.

They interviewed his coach who is a French fellow. The guy said that they were working a lot on net play. Sure enough once Medvedev was injured he started to attack the net and it really threw off Wawrinka. He completely lost his rhythm. Medvedev has a good tennis IQ. He's no dummy. He looks like Mr. Pencil.
                                stantheman fan here... but yeah, i was impressed with med after the injury/taping... completely switched gears, and rattled stan... seems that stan needs/prefers the rhythm of big baseline bashing. stan was missing alot of shots that seemed "routine". i think med's flattish dtl bh really hurt stan too.

med said in the post interview, that he was considering retiring after the injury... so he kept points short, etc... but at some point the pain killers kicked in... and started moving great... i wonder if he'll be hampered in his next match.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2561 users online. 5 members and 2556 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X